Skip to main content

Half-Life 2 Goes Gold

Submitted by TheBigJ on
Forum

Looks like its finally happening, Vivendi made it official today with a November 16 worldwide release date.

[url]http://www.vugames.com/news_story.do?storyId=1963[/url]

Woo!

Submitted by Major Clod on Thu, 28/10/04 - 10:34 AM Permalink

They say people fill in the blanks... all they read is Half life 2 Banned Australia.

Submitted by Barry Dahlberg on Thu, 28/10/04 - 7:38 PM Permalink

Australia has been banned? Oh no!

*panics*

*goes off to tell the internet*

[;)]

Submitted by TheBigJ on Thu, 28/10/04 - 10:46 PM Permalink

In Soviet Russia, video games ban YOU!

Submitted by tbag on Mon, 01/11/04 - 5:38 AM Permalink

Not much to post, but i just pre-ordered the collectors edition over at GamesMarket.com.au, they cant stop me from getting my copy now [:)].

Oh and GamesMarket are chucking in free express shipping for both the collectors edition and the standard edition (Good deal), so now i just wait until it reaches my doorstop. Best $120 i've ever spent.

Submitted by Malus on Mon, 01/11/04 - 9:15 AM Permalink

Me too, oooooh the anticipation.

Submitted by tbag on Tue, 02/11/04 - 12:31 AM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by Malus

Just two more weeks until im the happiest man on earth... my friend just got a new surround sound system and a 40" plasma screen TV, maybe i can take my PC around and hook it up, damn that would be sweet [:p].

Submitted by souri on Tue, 02/11/04 - 6:16 PM Permalink

Some of the reviews and scores that Half Life 2 has been receiving is pretty unbelievable. Perfect to near perfect scores, or highest game ever rated by that magazine/review site... If the reviews are of any indication, we're all in for something really great. [:)]

Submitted by MoonUnit on Tue, 02/11/04 - 8:18 PM Permalink

bloody hell, now i really cant wait
read the article on the front page btw, good news (MA clasification)

Submitted by Major Clod on Wed, 03/11/04 - 10:25 AM Permalink

I'm so glad it comes out just after my last exam. Only problem is Halo 2 is released just before, and due to exams I won't be able to play it until the 12th... And the 13th and 14th are reserved for a massive send off party for one of my friends who is moving up north. So that essentially gives me a day to complete Halo 2, or just pick between the two. I think Half-life 2 will come first! :P

Submitted by souri on Thu, 11/11/04 - 7:14 PM Permalink

Uhm... Half Life 2 is coming in 5 days! [:0]

Submitted by tbag on Fri, 12/11/04 - 12:22 AM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by Souri

Sadly, mine will not arrive until the Wednesday, but it will be at my doorstep, and due to some committments Wednesday night, i get Thursday off, no school and Half-Life 2 sitting next to me [:)].

I cant wait, its gonna be awesome fun.

Submitted by Major Clod on Fri, 12/11/04 - 12:58 AM Permalink

Can't wait, I'm picking up my X800 Pro tomorrow. My 9500 has crapped itself over the past few weeks and is artefacting all over the screen in most games, regardless of drivers. A result of too long running with the 9500 -> 9700 pipeline software mod no doubt :P Oh well, only paid $80 for the thing and it was second hand anyway, it served me well!

And I think Halo 2 Singleplayer will have to wait!

Submitted by TheBigJ on Fri, 12/11/04 - 1:15 AM Permalink

quote:And I think Halo 2 Singleplayer will have to wait!Halo 2 Single Player in 5 days? Sounds like my kind of challenge.

Submitted by tbag on Fri, 12/11/04 - 1:27 AM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by Major Clod

Can't wait, I'm picking up my X800 Pro tomorrow.

Damn, how much did that fine gem set you back? Im considering picking one up when they drop to the $400 mark (even if that takes a year or so) [:p].

Submitted by Major Clod on Fri, 12/11/04 - 3:47 AM Permalink

$490, but its second hand, still has plenty of warranty left on it though. I couldn't really bring myself to spend $700 on a video card, and I was going to grab a 9800 Pro for $350, but i thought I might as well spend the little bit extra and get the newer card. I could have grabbed a new one through work but it still wouldn't have been close to $500. Besides, this machine is the first time I've really ever spoilt myself on PC parts! :)

Submitted by MoonUnit on Sat, 13/11/04 - 1:53 AM Permalink

i have just finished my exams and now i wont have any guilt for game playing!!! bring on the half life 2!!!
also damn, i coudlnt find a decent higher end second hand card when i when shopping and ended up getting a 9600XT, still on the CS:S stress test i got average 50fps, which will suit me.

Submitted by tbag on Sat, 13/11/04 - 2:39 AM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by MoonUnit

i have just finished my exams and now i wont have any guilt for game playing!!! bring on the half life 2!!!
also damn, i coudlnt find a decent higher end second hand card when i when shopping and ended up getting a 9600XT, still on the CS:S stress test i got average 50fps, which will suit me.

Yeah, i've got a 9600XT Extreme myself, trouble is anything lower then 1280x1024 on my beautiful 17" Philips LCD screen looks like crap, so on the stress test i only get 33fps on average, i would like around 43fps though, that makes me sure i will never see lag [:p].

3 days left people (4 in our case... i think and for those who pre-ordered) [:p]

Submitted by tbag on Sat, 13/11/04 - 5:55 AM Permalink

[url="http://www.planetgabe.com/gallery1.html"]PlanetGabe[/url]... lol. [:D]

That was quite a damn good laugh, cheers.

EDIT: Hmmm... apparently Half-Life 2 has had over 2 million pre-orders on Steam alone, makes me wonder how many copies have been pre-ordered overall? Im going to say 2.5 million atleast overall, hopefully we will get to see some statistics in a day or two. Looks like Halo 2 might lose its place in the world records or atleast have a very strong rival (Heres hoping) [;)].

Submitted by souri on Sat, 13/11/04 - 11:37 PM Permalink

Gamespot has a great huge "Final Hours of Half Life 2".. It's 25 pages big and it runs through all the incidents during the making of the game, with insights from Valve's end on what was really happening. [url="http://www.gamespot.com/features/6112889/index.html"]An extremely great read[/url].

Submitted by tbag on Mon, 15/11/04 - 6:37 AM Permalink

48 hours left people (For us Australians due to time zones), everywhere i know of has sold out of collectors editions now so if you find a copy, grab it while you can! Im glad i've got mine pre-ordered [:)].

Some places in America have already started selling Half-Life 2 due to the street date been broken (EvilAvatar.com & Slashdot): http://games.slashdot.org/games/04/11/14/0511228.shtml?tid=204&tid=98&t…

Now if only they would allow authentication before the 16th and if i got my copy early [:p].

Im starting to drool, i have the whole day off to play this baby [:)].

Submitted by tbag on Wed, 17/11/04 - 3:08 AM Permalink

Actually Moons, from what i've heard, due to daylight savings time we get it at 7pm... i dont know if this is true though [:p].

2 hours everyone!

Submitted by mcdrewski on Wed, 17/11/04 - 4:02 AM Permalink

Ha Ha! We get it an hour earlier in Queensland then, at 6pm! Yay!

...wait a second... D'Oh!

Submitted by souri on Wed, 17/11/04 - 4:09 AM Permalink

2 hours to go, but I have to leave and won't be back home till late [:X]

Submitted by tbag on Wed, 17/11/04 - 4:41 AM Permalink

I dont get my hard copy until tommorrow, and unfortuneatly im the backstage guy for a band and drama production at a massive theatre tommorrow [:(].

I'll survive though, i had a great day today without Half-Life 2.

Submitted by TheBigJ on Wed, 17/11/04 - 4:49 AM Permalink

I'm picking my copy up before work tomorrow. Naturally, much of my work schedule will consist of "research" on the source engine. [;)]

Submitted by tbag on Wed, 17/11/04 - 4:55 AM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by TheBigJ

I'm picking my copy up before work tomorrow. Naturally, much of my work schedule will consist of "research" on the source engine. [;)]

If i was your boss i would either fire you and take over your work schedule, or play over the LAN with you [;)].

10 minutes, or possibly 1 hour left people!

Submitted by MoonUnit on Wed, 17/11/04 - 5:40 AM Permalink

lol looks like the daylight savings thing was right, damn!!! another reason to hate daylight savings (/me goes back to playing UT2k4 in wait..)

Posted by TheBigJ on
Forum

Looks like its finally happening, Vivendi made it official today with a November 16 worldwide release date.

[url]http://www.vugames.com/news_story.do?storyId=1963[/url]

Woo!

Submitted by Major Clod on Thu, 28/10/04 - 10:34 AM Permalink

They say people fill in the blanks... all they read is Half life 2 Banned Australia.

Submitted by Barry Dahlberg on Thu, 28/10/04 - 7:38 PM Permalink

Australia has been banned? Oh no!

*panics*

*goes off to tell the internet*

[;)]

Submitted by TheBigJ on Thu, 28/10/04 - 10:46 PM Permalink

In Soviet Russia, video games ban YOU!

Submitted by tbag on Mon, 01/11/04 - 5:38 AM Permalink

Not much to post, but i just pre-ordered the collectors edition over at GamesMarket.com.au, they cant stop me from getting my copy now [:)].

Oh and GamesMarket are chucking in free express shipping for both the collectors edition and the standard edition (Good deal), so now i just wait until it reaches my doorstop. Best $120 i've ever spent.

Submitted by Malus on Mon, 01/11/04 - 9:15 AM Permalink

Submitted by tbag on Tue, 02/11/04 - 12:31 AM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by Malus

Just two more weeks until im the happiest man on earth... my friend just got a new surround sound system and a 40" plasma screen TV, maybe i can take my PC around and hook it up, damn that would be sweet [:p].

Submitted by souri on Tue, 02/11/04 - 6:16 PM Permalink

Some of the reviews and scores that Half Life 2 has been receiving is pretty unbelievable. Perfect to near perfect scores, or highest game ever rated by that magazine/review site... If the reviews are of any indication, we're all in for something really great. [:)]

Submitted by MoonUnit on Tue, 02/11/04 - 8:18 PM Permalink

bloody hell, now i really cant wait
read the article on the front page btw, good news (MA clasification)

Submitted by Major Clod on Wed, 03/11/04 - 10:25 AM Permalink

I'm so glad it comes out just after my last exam. Only problem is Halo 2 is released just before, and due to exams I won't be able to play it until the 12th... And the 13th and 14th are reserved for a massive send off party for one of my friends who is moving up north. So that essentially gives me a day to complete Halo 2, or just pick between the two. I think Half-life 2 will come first! :P

Submitted by souri on Thu, 11/11/04 - 7:14 PM Permalink

Submitted by tbag on Fri, 12/11/04 - 12:22 AM Permalink

Sadly, mine will not arrive until the Wednesday, but it will be at my doorstep, and due to some committments Wednesday night, i get Thursday off, no school and Half-Life 2 sitting next to me [:)].

I cant wait, its gonna be awesome fun.

Submitted by Major Clod on Fri, 12/11/04 - 12:58 AM Permalink

Can't wait, I'm picking up my X800 Pro tomorrow. My 9500 has crapped itself over the past few weeks and is artefacting all over the screen in most games, regardless of drivers. A result of too long running with the 9500 -> 9700 pipeline software mod no doubt :P Oh well, only paid $80 for the thing and it was second hand anyway, it served me well!

And I think Halo 2 Singleplayer will have to wait!

Submitted by TheBigJ on Fri, 12/11/04 - 1:15 AM Permalink

quote:And I think Halo 2 Singleplayer will have to wait!Halo 2 Single Player in 5 days? Sounds like my kind of challenge.

Submitted by tbag on Fri, 12/11/04 - 1:27 AM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by Major Clod

Can't wait, I'm picking up my X800 Pro tomorrow.

Damn, how much did that fine gem set you back? Im considering picking one up when they drop to the $400 mark (even if that takes a year or so) [:p].

Submitted by Major Clod on Fri, 12/11/04 - 3:47 AM Permalink

$490, but its second hand, still has plenty of warranty left on it though. I couldn't really bring myself to spend $700 on a video card, and I was going to grab a 9800 Pro for $350, but i thought I might as well spend the little bit extra and get the newer card. I could have grabbed a new one through work but it still wouldn't have been close to $500. Besides, this machine is the first time I've really ever spoilt myself on PC parts! :)

Submitted by MoonUnit on Sat, 13/11/04 - 1:53 AM Permalink

Submitted by tbag on Sat, 13/11/04 - 2:39 AM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by MoonUnit

Yeah, i've got a 9600XT Extreme myself, trouble is anything lower then 1280x1024 on my beautiful 17" Philips LCD screen looks like crap, so on the stress test i only get 33fps on average, i would like around 43fps though, that makes me sure i will never see lag [:p].

3 days left people (4 in our case... i think and for those who pre-ordered) [:p]

Submitted by tbag on Sat, 13/11/04 - 5:55 AM Permalink

[url="http://www.planetgabe.com/gallery1.html"]PlanetGabe[/url]... lol. [:D]

That was quite a damn good laugh, cheers.

EDIT: Hmmm... apparently Half-Life 2 has had over 2 million pre-orders on Steam alone, makes me wonder how many copies have been pre-ordered overall? Im going to say 2.5 million atleast overall, hopefully we will get to see some statistics in a day or two. Looks like Halo 2 might lose its place in the world records or atleast have a very strong rival (Heres hoping) [;)].

Submitted by souri on Sat, 13/11/04 - 11:37 PM Permalink

Gamespot has a great huge "Final Hours of Half Life 2".. It's 25 pages big and it runs through all the incidents during the making of the game, with insights from Valve's end on what was really happening. [url="http://www.gamespot.com/features/6112889/index.html"]An extremely great read[/url].

Submitted by tbag on Mon, 15/11/04 - 6:37 AM Permalink

48 hours left people (For us Australians due to time zones), everywhere i know of has sold out of collectors editions now so if you find a copy, grab it while you can! Im glad i've got mine pre-ordered [:)].

Some places in America have already started selling Half-Life 2 due to the street date been broken (EvilAvatar.com & Slashdot): http://games.slashdot.org/games/04/11/14/0511228.shtml?tid=204&tid=98&t…

Now if only they would allow authentication before the 16th and if i got my copy early [:p].

Im starting to drool, i have the whole day off to play this baby [:)].

Submitted by tbag on Wed, 17/11/04 - 3:08 AM Permalink

Actually Moons, from what i've heard, due to daylight savings time we get it at 7pm... i dont know if this is true though [:p].

2 hours everyone!

Submitted by mcdrewski on Wed, 17/11/04 - 4:02 AM Permalink

Ha Ha! We get it an hour earlier in Queensland then, at 6pm! Yay!

...wait a second... D'Oh!

Submitted by souri on Wed, 17/11/04 - 4:09 AM Permalink

2 hours to go, but I have to leave and won't be back home till late [:X]

Submitted by tbag on Wed, 17/11/04 - 4:41 AM Permalink

I dont get my hard copy until tommorrow, and unfortuneatly im the backstage guy for a band and drama production at a massive theatre tommorrow [:(].

I'll survive though, i had a great day today without Half-Life 2.

Submitted by TheBigJ on Wed, 17/11/04 - 4:49 AM Permalink

Submitted by tbag on Wed, 17/11/04 - 4:55 AM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by TheBigJ

If i was your boss i would either fire you and take over your work schedule, or play over the LAN with you [;)].

10 minutes, or possibly 1 hour left people!

Submitted by MoonUnit on Wed, 17/11/04 - 5:40 AM Permalink

lol looks like the daylight savings thing was right, damn!!! another reason to hate daylight savings (/me goes back to playing UT2k4 in wait..)