Skip to main content

New Sumea Activity Paint Idea

• In my first and previous post in this game dev log entry, I had written that I wanted to do a game which was a collection of simple retro games. Unity released a new major release (2019.3) while I was putting the initial project together, and I…

• Well, I'm making a game . I'm spending the next few weeks on making a small game to showcase the gamedev log feature on tsumea where any member can create a game entry and other members can post journal posts with art, music or just development…

• Just a test #2. Still working on the new section.

• So, I got a Commodore 64 when I was in the 4th grade. It came bundled with a Rolf Harris picture building program on casette tape which never loaded properly but from what I could tell by its box cover, you could build pictures from a selection…

• Yes, the site looks very different and I've had to prematurely switch to this new theme that I'm working on for a few reasons, the main one is that changing certain aspects of the site to fit the new theme will affect how the old one looks for…

• (this is just a test, please ignore this entry)

Here is some of my old work.. the first pic is of a 3d model of a human head I was working on about 2 years ago in 3dsmax, using nurbs. If I had to do it again, I wouldn't model a head with…

Submitted by souri on
Forum

Because the participation levels of speed paints were pretty low (probably due to the fact that it requires people to be free and here at a certain date and time), I'm thinking of taking the activity in another direction.

The new activity would be somewhat like the modeller challenge where someone posts a topic, and we'll have 2 weeks to paint our interpretation of it. We can each post a thread like "Activity #1 - yourname" and update our images along the way, so we can see how each other work. You can spend as much or as little time as you want with it, just have something we can all look at at the end. It'll be a small, fun, creative activity for everyone, with no voting required.

I'm leaning towards this idea rather than speed paints because by then end of those two weeks, and depending on how far you take it, you could have something you could use (portfolio, website etc).

I've noticed that there are a fair few graphics tablet users here, so here's a chance to flex ya pens! Anyway, it's all for a bit of fun, so give me a yay or nay!

Submitted by lukeo25 on Wed, 29/10/03 - 8:49 PM Permalink

I have had to stop work on my image for a week ( Work comitments ) but I'm planning on getting back to it soon.
Am I right in thinking we can take a bit of time.?

Submitted by Sketchboy on Tue, 04/11/03 - 10:15 PM Permalink

im gonna post some initial sketches up soon, ive been getting into the activity although work has been hectic. Might do it tonight if im lucky. Im looking forward to getting some feedback once its up.[:I][:D]

Submitted by souri on Tue, 04/11/03 - 11:34 PM Permalink

I've been a bit preoccupied with things too, but I'm hoping to do a pic for this. Sure, take your time. I think mine will be a rough experimental image. Won't be preparing any perspective lines or anything like that.

Submitted by Immortal on Wed, 05/11/03 - 12:27 AM Permalink

I guess noone noticed i was gone cos im not really a regular poster. my 56k frustrates me too much! Ive done quite a few sketches of my boardroom....looking very starwarsy (cloud city or w/e its called) ill post some when i get my scanner back!

peace

Submitted by Happy Camper on Thu, 06/11/03 - 12:02 AM Permalink

The delivery of my Graphire 3 has been delayed so I haven't started yet. I will as soon as I get it though. Only problem is I don't know when it is going to be delivered, they originally said 2-3 days (its been about ten now) and now when I ask them how long it's going to take they say they don't know. They're also charging $30 more than most places. I don't really mind I just want my Graphire 3.

Anyway I've been working on a few other pieces so I might post them in the exhibition section when they're done.

EDIT: okay, I cancelled my order and went to a shop in parramatta, so now I got a brand new Graphire 3[:D][:p]. I'll start this challenge soon.

Submitted by Sketchboy on Wed, 26/11/03 - 4:10 AM Permalink

Finally got some time in and got some of my concepts together, i will be posting up some stuff tonight, hopefully with this more people will get in and drop their WIPs in for the activity.
K

Submitted by souri on Fri, 05/12/03 - 11:49 PM Permalink

Ok, it looks like this activity is dead in the water.. Hopefully J.I.Styles and Sorcerer Bob's idea will work much better here - post the details when you're ready, guys.

Submitted by Makk on Sat, 06/12/03 - 7:41 AM Permalink

Yep...it certianly did die......
I thought the format was good and everyone was really into it yet nobody else submitted anything, maybe they were too busy I dont know. Its a shame though :(

What was Styles and Bob's idea

Submitted by J I Styles on Sat, 06/12/03 - 7:47 PM Permalink

Souri, sent you you a mail - hopefully we can get this up and going soon [:)]

Submitted by Sketchboy on Tue, 09/12/03 - 10:22 PM Permalink

For me it was definately a case of being way too busy with work, but also just not being motivated in doing the topic. Whatever this new idea is id love to hear it. I would hate to see the drawing section of the forums die out completely.[:)][;)]

Posted by souri on
Forum

Because the participation levels of speed paints were pretty low (probably due to the fact that it requires people to be free and here at a certain date and time), I'm thinking of taking the activity in another direction.

The new activity would be somewhat like the modeller challenge where someone posts a topic, and we'll have 2 weeks to paint our interpretation of it. We can each post a thread like "Activity #1 - yourname" and update our images along the way, so we can see how each other work. You can spend as much or as little time as you want with it, just have something we can all look at at the end. It'll be a small, fun, creative activity for everyone, with no voting required.

I'm leaning towards this idea rather than speed paints because by then end of those two weeks, and depending on how far you take it, you could have something you could use (portfolio, website etc).

I've noticed that there are a fair few graphics tablet users here, so here's a chance to flex ya pens! Anyway, it's all for a bit of fun, so give me a yay or nay!

Submitted by lukeo25 on Wed, 29/10/03 - 8:49 PM Permalink

I have had to stop work on my image for a week ( Work comitments ) but I'm planning on getting back to it soon.
Am I right in thinking we can take a bit of time.?

Submitted by Sketchboy on Tue, 04/11/03 - 10:15 PM Permalink

im gonna post some initial sketches up soon, ive been getting into the activity although work has been hectic. Might do it tonight if im lucky. Im looking forward to getting some feedback once its up.[:I][:D]

Submitted by souri on Tue, 04/11/03 - 11:34 PM Permalink

I've been a bit preoccupied with things too, but I'm hoping to do a pic for this. Sure, take your time. I think mine will be a rough experimental image. Won't be preparing any perspective lines or anything like that.

Submitted by Immortal on Wed, 05/11/03 - 12:27 AM Permalink

I guess noone noticed i was gone cos im not really a regular poster. my 56k frustrates me too much! Ive done quite a few sketches of my boardroom....looking very starwarsy (cloud city or w/e its called) ill post some when i get my scanner back!

peace

Submitted by Happy Camper on Thu, 06/11/03 - 12:02 AM Permalink

The delivery of my Graphire 3 has been delayed so I haven't started yet. I will as soon as I get it though. Only problem is I don't know when it is going to be delivered, they originally said 2-3 days (its been about ten now) and now when I ask them how long it's going to take they say they don't know. They're also charging $30 more than most places. I don't really mind I just want my Graphire 3.

Anyway I've been working on a few other pieces so I might post them in the exhibition section when they're done.

EDIT: okay, I cancelled my order and went to a shop in parramatta, so now I got a brand new Graphire 3[:D][:p]. I'll start this challenge soon.

Submitted by Sketchboy on Wed, 26/11/03 - 4:10 AM Permalink

Finally got some time in and got some of my concepts together, i will be posting up some stuff tonight, hopefully with this more people will get in and drop their WIPs in for the activity.
K

Submitted by souri on Fri, 05/12/03 - 11:49 PM Permalink

Ok, it looks like this activity is dead in the water.. Hopefully J.I.Styles and Sorcerer Bob's idea will work much better here - post the details when you're ready, guys.

Submitted by Makk on Sat, 06/12/03 - 7:41 AM Permalink

Yep...it certianly did die......
I thought the format was good and everyone was really into it yet nobody else submitted anything, maybe they were too busy I dont know. Its a shame though :(

What was Styles and Bob's idea

Submitted by J I Styles on Sat, 06/12/03 - 7:47 PM Permalink

Souri, sent you you a mail - hopefully we can get this up and going soon [:)]

Submitted by Sketchboy on Tue, 09/12/03 - 10:22 PM Permalink

For me it was definately a case of being way too busy with work, but also just not being motivated in doing the topic. Whatever this new idea is id love to hear it. I would hate to see the drawing section of the forums die out completely.[:)][;)]