Skip to main content

How to get a job in the games biz

Forum

http://insider.ign.com/teasers/382/382214.html
it's an article over at IGN however you have to subscribe to ign insider before you can read it. However you can get a 7 day trail for free but you need to give them you credit card details (works in a similar way to those free 1 month trail of telstra bigpond. You sign up with your details and after the month is up they start billing you unless you cancel.)
Anyways i thought i would put it up here in case anyone is interested enough to sign up.
There is suppossed to be a whole series of these articles focusing on every job in the industry

we break down industry jobs as widely different as programmer and producer to games journalist and public relations expert. We describe the duties and pay scales of each position, the background requirements and prerequisites, and some of the various paths actual professionals in these fields have taken to reach the positions they're in today

It is infact ants who are the true rulers of this world!!!

Submitted by souri on Wed, 15/01/03 - 11:10 AM Permalink

I can't believe how HUGE The Sims has become, and that people making so many skins and charging for them - a lot of which are of really, really good quality.

Submitted by bouncy roo on Wed, 15/01/03 - 11:12 AM Permalink

HA HAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I TOLD YOU I'D GET YOU!! MWAHAHAHHAHAHA ooooh Souri guess who has climbed the members post list and who's gonna be tied with a scarf at the top of the ladder mwahahah not me my boy *GRIN >:) [;)] lol oh no wait yes tis me but.. you being tied up and err.. hmmmhhahahahahaHOhahahaHOaHahah btw I have www.whorepad.com registered [;)] I just have to put an index html up cos you it won't be able to be accessed[:D]

quote:Originally posted by Souri

I can't believe how HUGE The Sims has become, and that people making so many skins and charging for them - a lot of which are of really, really good quality.

//Without order nothing can exist - without chaos nothing can evolve. \(anon)

Submitted by Jacana on Wed, 15/01/03 - 11:13 AM Permalink

That site has been around for ages.... I think people started to charge for downloads about 1.5 years ago for Sim stuff. Its popular enough that it keeps going. At least if you want it someone has focused on the "mature" market that you otherwise don't get with sims....

"Yes I Code"
Shirts for AGDC 2003:
http://www.thinkgeek.com/tshirts/ladies/5b3d/
http://www.thinkgeek.com/tshirts/ladies/38f0/
http://www.thinkgeek.com/tshirts/ladies/38ed/

Submitted by beatsta on Wed, 15/01/03 - 11:16 AM Permalink

its sad that entertainment is made from such unfortunate, naive ppls ;)

Submitted by souri on Wed, 15/01/03 - 11:20 AM Permalink

That's some nice shirts there.. [:)]

Submitted by bouncy roo on Wed, 15/01/03 - 11:24 AM Permalink

I love Gir, and sponge bob squarepants, There's just something about sponge bob that makes him..hmm less then pg, who loves Invader Zim?

Submitted by bouncy roo on Wed, 15/01/03 - 11:26 AM Permalink

you know i was level 2 lastnight, I blame it on my habit of inventing new drinks[;)] lol that's also why I was sick in preschool..my habit of mixing all forms of juices and food pieces and then telling eveyone to add more gross things in there to make a violently gross drink :)

Submitted by souri on Wed, 15/01/03 - 11:30 AM Permalink

That was you?!!!! I was sick for days!!! [;)]

Submitted by bouncy roo on Wed, 15/01/03 - 11:32 AM Permalink

Lol! [;)] only one day I bet you were faking the rest of the days *laugh*[;)]

Submitted by Gazunta on Fri, 17/01/03 - 12:22 AM Permalink

Do you ever have to watch what you do write, due to the magazine's reputation or connection with a publisher? Have you had anything rejected because, well, the game just plain sucked, and you went all ballistic on it? [:)]

90% of the time I've never had any interference whatsoever with what I write. The only time I did was when I worked for a company that had a strict "if you have nothing nice to say, say nothing" policy, but I knew that going into it so I learned to damn with faint praise. In fact at the moment I'm writing for one of the 'Official' magazines and they have an incredibly strict policy on there being no interference whatsoever from the console manufacturer.

The only time anything remotely bad happened was when I got blacklisted by a certain console manufacturer for a completely hate-filled review of one of their supposed AAA titles in a nationwide publication. The editor, bless him, ran it in full. I just didn't get any love from the manufacturer's PR department for a long, long while.

Oh and there's the time someone from one of the now-defunct console distributors rang my boss and demanded that I be fired for what I said about their launch efforts...but I should write a book or something. :)

But no, I really don't have to watch what I write. Watching what you write just makes you a dull writer, I think.

Submitted by devils guard on Mon, 20/01/03 - 10:05 PM Permalink

gday again my next question is where in sydney would a good place be to study in game development,2d,3d and all stuff like that.the army is giving me 4 grand to study anything i want,so i would like to do games and game media.i only have 1 yr to spend the money thoe. mainly sims and strategy or action.working on games as a level designer or as a military consultant or in a mag as a reveiwer in the game biz.any1 know where i could get a start.i have great ideas, like every 1 dose,i just need the chance to use them.could some1 email me with any info you think could help.thanks DG. danny2814170@yahoo.com

Submitted by Kirby on Tue, 21/01/03 - 11:02 PM Permalink

Bouncy_Roo...packing? Don't make me laugh! [:0] Okay, no alright I suppose you have done most your room now..*grins*. I still have all the contents of my wardrobe and any loose evidence of journals or scrap paper underneath my bed to locate!! haha...

my eyes are sore from too much screen on eyeball contact whilst drawing on the computer...my stuff is getting blurrier by the second...[xx(][B)][:o)]

quote:Originally posted by bouncy_roo

Lol I'm moving to Newfarm! this week I'm packing up stuff getting ready to move [;)] tis going to be nice[:D]

quote:Originally posted by Gaffer

canberra really is a bit of a hole, i wish i had the option to leave, but its worth it for irrational :)

i did live in brisbane while i worked at auran, right by the new farm ferry - AWESOME, i love the place

i used to rollerblade along southbank every second night

*sigh*

Glenn "Gaffer" Fiedler | Senior Programmer | Irrational Games

//between the realms of this life, a luminous stream filters through reality. This is my waking dream.//

Submitted by souri on Tue, 21/01/03 - 11:20 PM Permalink

Bouncy_roo and Kirby moving places at the same time? WHAT ARE THE ODDS?!! [;)]

Devils_guard, I recommend you start a new thread with your question.. it's not going to get as much notice when it's swamped in this thread.

Submitted by Kirby on Wed, 22/01/03 - 1:11 AM Permalink

Shhhhh Souri, Roo is working on disowning me. *oops* [B)]

Devils_guard, I recommend you start a new thread with your question.. it's not going to get as much notice when it's swamped in this thread.

//between the realms of this life, a luminous stream filters through reality. This is my waking dream.//

Forum

http://insider.ign.com/teasers/382/382214.html
it's an article over at IGN however you have to subscribe to ign insider before you can read it. However you can get a 7 day trail for free but you need to give them you credit card details (works in a similar way to those free 1 month trail of telstra bigpond. You sign up with your details and after the month is up they start billing you unless you cancel.)
Anyways i thought i would put it up here in case anyone is interested enough to sign up.
There is suppossed to be a whole series of these articles focusing on every job in the industry

we break down industry jobs as widely different as programmer and producer to games journalist and public relations expert. We describe the duties and pay scales of each position, the background requirements and prerequisites, and some of the various paths actual professionals in these fields have taken to reach the positions they're in today

It is infact ants who are the true rulers of this world!!!

Submitted by souri on Wed, 15/01/03 - 11:10 AM Permalink

Submitted by bouncy roo on Wed, 15/01/03 - 11:12 AM Permalink

HA HAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I TOLD YOU I'D GET YOU!! MWAHAHAHHAHAHA ooooh Souri guess who has climbed the members post list and who's gonna be tied with a scarf at the top of the ladder mwahahah not me my boy *GRIN >:) [;)] lol oh no wait yes tis me but.. you being tied up and err.. hmmmhhahahahahaHOhahahaHOaHahah btw I have www.whorepad.com registered [;)] I just have to put an index html up cos you it won't be able to be accessed[:D]

Submitted by Jacana on Wed, 15/01/03 - 11:13 AM Permalink

That site has been around for ages.... I think people started to charge for downloads about 1.5 years ago for Sim stuff. Its popular enough that it keeps going. At least if you want it someone has focused on the "mature" market that you otherwise don't get with sims....

"Yes I Code"
Shirts for AGDC 2003:
http://www.thinkgeek.com/tshirts/ladies/5b3d/
http://www.thinkgeek.com/tshirts/ladies/38f0/
http://www.thinkgeek.com/tshirts/ladies/38ed/

Submitted by beatsta on Wed, 15/01/03 - 11:16 AM Permalink

its sad that entertainment is made from such unfortunate, naive ppls ;)

Submitted by souri on Wed, 15/01/03 - 11:20 AM Permalink

Submitted by bouncy roo on Wed, 15/01/03 - 11:24 AM Permalink

I love Gir, and sponge bob squarepants, There's just something about sponge bob that makes him..hmm less then pg, who loves Invader Zim?

Submitted by bouncy roo on Wed, 15/01/03 - 11:26 AM Permalink

you know i was level 2 lastnight, I blame it on my habit of inventing new drinks[;)] lol that's also why I was sick in preschool..my habit of mixing all forms of juices and food pieces and then telling eveyone to add more gross things in there to make a violently gross drink :)

Submitted by souri on Wed, 15/01/03 - 11:30 AM Permalink

Submitted by bouncy roo on Wed, 15/01/03 - 11:32 AM Permalink

Lol! [;)] only one day I bet you were faking the rest of the days *laugh*[;)]

Submitted by Gazunta on Fri, 17/01/03 - 12:22 AM Permalink

Do you ever have to watch what you do write, due to the magazine's reputation or connection with a publisher? Have you had anything rejected because, well, the game just plain sucked, and you went all ballistic on it? [:)]

90% of the time I've never had any interference whatsoever with what I write. The only time I did was when I worked for a company that had a strict "if you have nothing nice to say, say nothing" policy, but I knew that going into it so I learned to damn with faint praise. In fact at the moment I'm writing for one of the 'Official' magazines and they have an incredibly strict policy on there being no interference whatsoever from the console manufacturer.

The only time anything remotely bad happened was when I got blacklisted by a certain console manufacturer for a completely hate-filled review of one of their supposed AAA titles in a nationwide publication. The editor, bless him, ran it in full. I just didn't get any love from the manufacturer's PR department for a long, long while.

Oh and there's the time someone from one of the now-defunct console distributors rang my boss and demanded that I be fired for what I said about their launch efforts...but I should write a book or something. :)

But no, I really don't have to watch what I write. Watching what you write just makes you a dull writer, I think.

Submitted by devils guard on Mon, 20/01/03 - 10:05 PM Permalink

gday again my next question is where in sydney would a good place be to study in game development,2d,3d and all stuff like that.the army is giving me 4 grand to study anything i want,so i would like to do games and game media.i only have 1 yr to spend the money thoe. mainly sims and strategy or action.working on games as a level designer or as a military consultant or in a mag as a reveiwer in the game biz.any1 know where i could get a start.i have great ideas, like every 1 dose,i just need the chance to use them.could some1 email me with any info you think could help.thanks DG. danny2814170@yahoo.com

Submitted by Kirby on Tue, 21/01/03 - 11:02 PM Permalink

Bouncy_Roo...packing? Don't make me laugh! [:0] Okay, no alright I suppose you have done most your room now..*grins*. I still have all the contents of my wardrobe and any loose evidence of journals or scrap paper underneath my bed to locate!! haha...

my eyes are sore from too much screen on eyeball contact whilst drawing on the computer...my stuff is getting blurrier by the second...[xx(][B)][:o)]

quote:Originally posted by bouncy_roo

Lol I'm moving to Newfarm! this week I'm packing up stuff getting ready to move [;)] tis going to be nice[:D]

quote:Originally posted by Gaffer

canberra really is a bit of a hole, i wish i had the option to leave, but its worth it for irrational :)

i did live in brisbane while i worked at auran, right by the new farm ferry - AWESOME, i love the place

i used to rollerblade along southbank every second night

*sigh*

Glenn "Gaffer" Fiedler | Senior Programmer | Irrational Games

Submitted by souri on Tue, 21/01/03 - 11:20 PM Permalink

Submitted by Kirby on Wed, 22/01/03 - 1:11 AM Permalink

Shhhhh Souri, Roo is working on disowning me. *oops* [B)]