Skip to main content

Did you apply for a games job recently?

• In my first and previous post in this game dev log entry, I had written that I wanted to do a game which was a collection of simple retro games. Unity released a new major release (2019.3) while I was putting the initial project together, and I…

• Well, I'm making a game . I'm spending the next few weeks on making a small game to showcase the gamedev log feature on tsumea where any member can create a game entry and other members can post journal posts with art, music or just development…

• Just a test #2. Still working on the new section.

• So, I got a Commodore 64 when I was in the 4th grade. It came bundled with a Rolf Harris picture building program on casette tape which never loaded properly but from what I could tell by its box cover, you could build pictures from a selection…

• Yes, the site looks very different and I've had to prematurely switch to this new theme that I'm working on for a few reasons, the main one is that changing certain aspects of the site to fit the new theme will affect how the old one looks for…

• (this is just a test, please ignore this entry)

Here is some of my old work.. the first pic is of a 3d model of a human head I was working on about 2 years ago in 3dsmax, using nurbs. If I had to do it again, I wouldn't model a head with…

Submitted by souri on

The jobs section on Sumea has been viewed thousands of times, and from the comments I've received, there are a fair few people who find it a good resource. Anyway, my question is - how many of you have gained an interview from a game developer in Australia in the last 5 months or so? Did you get the position? Were there things you wish you had prepared for that you didn't expect, or any other advice for your fellow job seekers? and did you get the job? [:)] There's been quite a number of positions that have been opened in the last few months, especially for artistic/content building jobs, and I wonder if there is enough talent filling those positions, or vice versa..

Submitted by Malus on Thu, 20/03/03 - 11:20 AM Permalink

True that alot of mods fail to finish what they start but I dont see that as a waste of time, he'll learn even from the bad ones its all experience. But do try and find a decent established mod with some obvious effort already put in, not just guns. :P

As for code well I'm an artist but I know its all about the sexy C++ baby, python is a good scripting language if I'm correct and if you are feeling really hardcore try assembly, if you can do that you will be the Ubergeek and have the nerd world at your feet!!

Submitted by Enigma on Sun, 23/03/03 - 6:10 AM Permalink

I found somewhere!!! Two places actually! KvB up in North Sydney, and AIE in Canberra. They're not really game designers, but they offer course about it, and I'll just sit in and learn. I might also look for a few mod groups too!

I'm not sure whether I'm all that into programming anymore, I think I would rather learning how to use 3D Studio Max and Maya instead. I'm learning about special effects and animation at Kvb.

Thanks for all your help peoples [:D]

Submitted by Enigma on Tue, 25/03/03 - 7:28 AM Permalink

Sorceror Bob, would you know anyone that would teach me a thing or too? In fact I think I might of switched from Coding to Special Effects and Animation. I just got 3D Studio MAx and am about to start with that. Sounds like a great idea though Sorceror Bob, but I'm not extremely proficient... Thanks [:D]

Submitted by fuzzmeister on Fri, 02/05/03 - 2:40 AM Permalink

I applied for a level design position the other week and afew days later (after having viewed my website) i was contacted with a request for an interview. This was my first interview and i thought it went rather well.. nice to get alook inside a studio etc.

Anyway i didn't get the position as my work while "polished and well-done" was abit dated (Half-Life) engine, but they'll keep me on file for later.

Hope this helps someone, it did me as it was not only my first interview but the first reply i had from any company (apart from automated ones).

Plus they tend to give you pointers to help you in the never ending search for employment.

The size of a studio/company makes a big difference to how much personal feedback you get also i reckon. small = good

http://fuzzmeister.members.easyspace.com/

Submitted by Major Clod on Fri, 02/05/03 - 3:01 AM Permalink

Well I haven't really applied for jobs, but I did get a surprising email from the boss at Raven Software after they had seen some of my models for Jedi Knight 2. They were looking for an inhouse 3d artist for a project that I think is their recently announced sequel to JK2. Well after a few exchanges of emails with my work and some positive feedback they figured out I was from Australia and have not finished my Uni degree... so that kinda went down the drain. But it was a cool thing to happen none the less!

Submitted by Malus on Fri, 02/05/03 - 4:42 AM Permalink

Christ, why did you let that info slip out?!! [slap]

Submitted by Moose on Sun, 27/07/03 - 11:47 AM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by shiptu_shaboo

i did some concept art for a company when i was Hong Kong half way through 2002 called ENLIGHT.
They contacted me about a month ago and are currently looking for someone to do sound?
www.enlight.com/
the pay is o.k Hong Kong is very expensive to live in.

So they sponsored you an employment visa to work there?

Submitted by Anuxinamoon on Sat, 18/06/05 - 2:08 AM Permalink

I know this is very old but...

quote: I found somewhere!!! Two places actually! KvB up in North Sydney, and AIE in Canberra.

I acctually got a schoillarship with KvB when I was in Yr 12 (2002) And after careful looking over, I finally went with QANTM here in Brisbane. Out of the two you mentioned I think AIE would be a better choice for you cause I'm pretty sure they are a bit more involved with games than KvB. KvB Just seemmed to me that they wouldn't teach me what I needed to know about games (if at all). I'm not sure what they are up to now... back then they were just getting into 3D and all that.

Submitted by Caroo on Sat, 18/06/05 - 10:19 PM Permalink

O.O hot dammity.. the more i hear of this the more my optimisem about getting into the game industry as a game/level designer does down the drain.. considering the design componant of game employment is one of the smallist and there are sooooooooo many wanting in on that posisition... i can keep saying to myself "make a good folio.. be the best you can be and things will work out."... but even still.

very scary..

Submitted by Kalescent on Sun, 19/06/05 - 12:27 AM Permalink

Caroo: Soldier on. The moment you give up - start talking like that and it sounds like you should have taken the blue pill.

Submitted by Caroo on Sun, 19/06/05 - 7:55 AM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by HazarD

Caroo: Soldier on. The moment you give up - start talking like that and it sounds like you should have taken the blue pill.

ahhh the dreaded blue pill of doom!!! almost as notorius as my bad spelling..

I do agree.. One should never give up there dreams and goals.. but still the australian games industry from an outside view looks quite intimidating. i know not alot of people will admit to that. but i do.. it's damm scary.

Submitted by AntsZ on Sun, 19/06/05 - 9:43 AM Permalink

quote:Orginally posterd by Caroo

but still the australian games industry from an outside view looks quite intimidating. i know not alot of people will admit to that. but i do.. it's damm scary.

I quite agree with you there Caroo its very intimidating and very exclusive, and sometimes is not that easy to pursue, but you do persue it because your passionate and genuine and thats one thing a employer will eventually see in you

Submitted by McKnight on Sun, 19/06/05 - 11:59 AM Permalink

Just about keeping at it until you finally get there.

Applied for every Game Industry related position in Brisbane. Which is like 7 or 8 from a list off the top of my head. Most weren't looking for what I was offering so I was left looking at two, one I got turned down and the other is looking like clear blue skies ahead. Fingers crossed on them.

Submitted by Jason on Mon, 20/06/05 - 4:11 AM Permalink

Hmm I sorta fell into my position, I was doing some freelance art for the company Im with and when the contract was finished we were having a chat and began talking about employment. But basically, my advice for artists is to make sure your portfolio is as good as it can be, compare your work to the BEST. Even if you fall short of being a craig mullins, your work will still be pretty kickass. (which reminds me i need to get back to work on my portfolio [:X] )

Once you know they like your work, it's a matter of being a normal human being that can have a friendly chat, be unabrasive and answer the interview questions.

There ya go, don't be too intimidated [:)]

Submitted by agentsarah6 on Fri, 22/02/08 - 10:47 AM Permalink

I've gotten nothing. I haven't even gotten a job in the graphic design industry either. I have had 1 interview. I'm pretty much at the end of my tether. No-one seems to want to employ me, despite my enthusiasm and my creativity, and at the moment my 4 years of university study is looking like it was a waste of my freaking time. I even wrote my thesis on Participatory Design in Games Design!

I'm deeply depressed. I would have thought that my uni would have given me a hand (as an Honours student) in getting the job that I wanted. Instead I'm sitting at home wondering how I'm going to get any where, thinking maybe I should just cut my losses now as no one else seems to care.

Starving Illustrator Who Needs Employment
http://agent-of-change.blogspot.com/

Submitted by Brawsome on Sun, 24/02/08 - 7:07 PM Permalink

Hey agentsarah6, you don't say what type of job you're looking for, is it an art or design position? If it's art, is it 2D art you're aiming for, if so, is it sprites or UI, do you animate? Do you have any 3D modelling experience, if so do you have a portfolio to show? Do you model or animate in 3D

I checked out your website and the links to your CV and Thesis don't work, you should double check these links are working before sending off your website link to any potential employers. I'm not sure what your cover letters look like, but I'm going to go out on a limb and and say that you need to focus on the type of position you are pitching for. I know there's a lot of work going at the moment, yes it's harder for graduates without any experience, but if you put yourself out there enough and your work is decent you should get a shot. And hey, there's always QA, I know for a fact there are people with uni degrees in QA (I was one of them), if you really want to get in, you might want to consider there.

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Tue, 26/02/08 - 9:20 PM Permalink

The thing I would like to know is, is it worth applying for QA Tester position interstate? would it be better to move closer to the action
I know that companies have relocation packages but do they limit or cut off as to the importance of a person to warrant them relocating you.
If that makes any sense out of my head
:D

Submitted by Brawsome on Wed, 27/02/08 - 8:48 AM Permalink

Maybe if you have 3 years experience in QA and are a senior or lead position you MAY get relocated interstate, but it's unlikely. If you really want a QA position in a company interstate it's best to state that you will be happy to relocate for the position. Try and get a hold of the lead QA person in the company you're aiming for and show them how enthusiastic you are about working with them, and remember the golden rule - When asked why you want to be in QA, NEVER say "Because I want to play games all day".

Posted by souri on

The jobs section on Sumea has been viewed thousands of times, and from the comments I've received, there are a fair few people who find it a good resource. Anyway, my question is - how many of you have gained an interview from a game developer in Australia in the last 5 months or so? Did you get the position? Were there things you wish you had prepared for that you didn't expect, or any other advice for your fellow job seekers? and did you get the job? [:)] There's been quite a number of positions that have been opened in the last few months, especially for artistic/content building jobs, and I wonder if there is enough talent filling those positions, or vice versa..

Submitted by Malus on Thu, 20/03/03 - 11:20 AM Permalink

True that alot of mods fail to finish what they start but I dont see that as a waste of time, he'll learn even from the bad ones its all experience. But do try and find a decent established mod with some obvious effort already put in, not just guns. :P

As for code well I'm an artist but I know its all about the sexy C++ baby, python is a good scripting language if I'm correct and if you are feeling really hardcore try assembly, if you can do that you will be the Ubergeek and have the nerd world at your feet!!

Submitted by Enigma on Sun, 23/03/03 - 6:10 AM Permalink

I found somewhere!!! Two places actually! KvB up in North Sydney, and AIE in Canberra. They're not really game designers, but they offer course about it, and I'll just sit in and learn. I might also look for a few mod groups too!

I'm not sure whether I'm all that into programming anymore, I think I would rather learning how to use 3D Studio Max and Maya instead. I'm learning about special effects and animation at Kvb.

Thanks for all your help peoples [:D]

Submitted by Enigma on Tue, 25/03/03 - 7:28 AM Permalink

Sorceror Bob, would you know anyone that would teach me a thing or too? In fact I think I might of switched from Coding to Special Effects and Animation. I just got 3D Studio MAx and am about to start with that. Sounds like a great idea though Sorceror Bob, but I'm not extremely proficient... Thanks [:D]

Submitted by fuzzmeister on Fri, 02/05/03 - 2:40 AM Permalink

I applied for a level design position the other week and afew days later (after having viewed my website) i was contacted with a request for an interview. This was my first interview and i thought it went rather well.. nice to get alook inside a studio etc.

Anyway i didn't get the position as my work while "polished and well-done" was abit dated (Half-Life) engine, but they'll keep me on file for later.

Hope this helps someone, it did me as it was not only my first interview but the first reply i had from any company (apart from automated ones).

Plus they tend to give you pointers to help you in the never ending search for employment.

The size of a studio/company makes a big difference to how much personal feedback you get also i reckon. small = good

http://fuzzmeister.members.easyspace.com/

Submitted by Major Clod on Fri, 02/05/03 - 3:01 AM Permalink

Well I haven't really applied for jobs, but I did get a surprising email from the boss at Raven Software after they had seen some of my models for Jedi Knight 2. They were looking for an inhouse 3d artist for a project that I think is their recently announced sequel to JK2. Well after a few exchanges of emails with my work and some positive feedback they figured out I was from Australia and have not finished my Uni degree... so that kinda went down the drain. But it was a cool thing to happen none the less!

Submitted by Malus on Fri, 02/05/03 - 4:42 AM Permalink

Christ, why did you let that info slip out?!! [slap]

Submitted by Moose on Sun, 27/07/03 - 11:47 AM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by shiptu_shaboo

i did some concept art for a company when i was Hong Kong half way through 2002 called ENLIGHT.
They contacted me about a month ago and are currently looking for someone to do sound?
www.enlight.com/
the pay is o.k Hong Kong is very expensive to live in.

So they sponsored you an employment visa to work there?

Submitted by Anuxinamoon on Sat, 18/06/05 - 2:08 AM Permalink

I know this is very old but...

quote: I found somewhere!!! Two places actually! KvB up in North Sydney, and AIE in Canberra.

I acctually got a schoillarship with KvB when I was in Yr 12 (2002) And after careful looking over, I finally went with QANTM here in Brisbane. Out of the two you mentioned I think AIE would be a better choice for you cause I'm pretty sure they are a bit more involved with games than KvB. KvB Just seemmed to me that they wouldn't teach me what I needed to know about games (if at all). I'm not sure what they are up to now... back then they were just getting into 3D and all that.

Submitted by Caroo on Sat, 18/06/05 - 10:19 PM Permalink

O.O hot dammity.. the more i hear of this the more my optimisem about getting into the game industry as a game/level designer does down the drain.. considering the design componant of game employment is one of the smallist and there are sooooooooo many wanting in on that posisition... i can keep saying to myself "make a good folio.. be the best you can be and things will work out."... but even still.

very scary..

Submitted by Kalescent on Sun, 19/06/05 - 12:27 AM Permalink

Submitted by Caroo on Sun, 19/06/05 - 7:55 AM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by HazarD

ahhh the dreaded blue pill of doom!!! almost as notorius as my bad spelling..

I do agree.. One should never give up there dreams and goals.. but still the australian games industry from an outside view looks quite intimidating. i know not alot of people will admit to that. but i do.. it's damm scary.

Submitted by AntsZ on Sun, 19/06/05 - 9:43 AM Permalink

quote:Orginally posterd by Caroo

but still the australian games industry from an outside view looks quite intimidating. i know not alot of people will admit to that. but i do.. it's damm scary.

I quite agree with you there Caroo its very intimidating and very exclusive, and sometimes is not that easy to pursue, but you do persue it because your passionate and genuine and thats one thing a employer will eventually see in you

Submitted by McKnight on Sun, 19/06/05 - 11:59 AM Permalink

Just about keeping at it until you finally get there.

Applied for every Game Industry related position in Brisbane. Which is like 7 or 8 from a list off the top of my head. Most weren't looking for what I was offering so I was left looking at two, one I got turned down and the other is looking like clear blue skies ahead. Fingers crossed on them.

Submitted by Jason on Mon, 20/06/05 - 4:11 AM Permalink

Hmm I sorta fell into my position, I was doing some freelance art for the company Im with and when the contract was finished we were having a chat and began talking about employment. But basically, my advice for artists is to make sure your portfolio is as good as it can be, compare your work to the BEST. Even if you fall short of being a craig mullins, your work will still be pretty kickass. (which reminds me i need to get back to work on my portfolio [:X] )

Once you know they like your work, it's a matter of being a normal human being that can have a friendly chat, be unabrasive and answer the interview questions.

There ya go, don't be too intimidated [:)]

Submitted by agentsarah6 on Fri, 22/02/08 - 10:47 AM Permalink

I've gotten nothing. I haven't even gotten a job in the graphic design industry either. I have had 1 interview. I'm pretty much at the end of my tether. No-one seems to want to employ me, despite my enthusiasm and my creativity, and at the moment my 4 years of university study is looking like it was a waste of my freaking time. I even wrote my thesis on Participatory Design in Games Design!

I'm deeply depressed. I would have thought that my uni would have given me a hand (as an Honours student) in getting the job that I wanted. Instead I'm sitting at home wondering how I'm going to get any where, thinking maybe I should just cut my losses now as no one else seems to care.

Starving Illustrator Who Needs Employment
http://agent-of-change.blogspot.com/

Submitted by Brawsome on Sun, 24/02/08 - 7:07 PM Permalink

Hey agentsarah6, you don't say what type of job you're looking for, is it an art or design position? If it's art, is it 2D art you're aiming for, if so, is it sprites or UI, do you animate? Do you have any 3D modelling experience, if so do you have a portfolio to show? Do you model or animate in 3D

I checked out your website and the links to your CV and Thesis don't work, you should double check these links are working before sending off your website link to any potential employers. I'm not sure what your cover letters look like, but I'm going to go out on a limb and and say that you need to focus on the type of position you are pitching for. I know there's a lot of work going at the moment, yes it's harder for graduates without any experience, but if you put yourself out there enough and your work is decent you should get a shot. And hey, there's always QA, I know for a fact there are people with uni degrees in QA (I was one of them), if you really want to get in, you might want to consider there.

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Tue, 26/02/08 - 9:20 PM Permalink

The thing I would like to know is, is it worth applying for QA Tester position interstate? would it be better to move closer to the action
I know that companies have relocation packages but do they limit or cut off as to the importance of a person to warrant them relocating you.
If that makes any sense out of my head
:D

Submitted by Brawsome on Wed, 27/02/08 - 8:48 AM Permalink

Maybe if you have 3 years experience in QA and are a senior or lead position you MAY get relocated interstate, but it's unlikely. If you really want a QA position in a company interstate it's best to state that you will be happy to relocate for the position. Try and get a hold of the lead QA person in the company you're aiming for and show them how enthusiastic you are about working with them, and remember the golden rule - When asked why you want to be in QA, NEVER say "Because I want to play games all day".