Skip to main content

The Matrix: Revolution - Possible Spoilers!!

Submitted by Malus on
Forum

Boy am I tired, I went to the midnight showing of the Matrix: Revolution last night, sat through the second one also.

Anyone else go to it? What did you think?

I loved it but then I'm easily pleased, anything with Monica Belluci in it is 10 stars!!

The battle scenes rocked, especially the APC mecha battles.

I thought they did a good job tweaking the CG also, no glaringly obvious areas unlike number 2, probably because they learnt there lesson with CG and slow motion [:P].

Favourite part, for just sheer cheese factor was the punch to Smiths jaw at the end, ooh thats gotta hurt.

The only bad part is theres is no number 4. [:(]

Submitted by LiveWire on Tue, 11/11/03 - 9:19 AM Permalink

i'm not saying i didnt like the ending - it was good, and did bring the series to an at least satisfactory close. but it wasnt really satisfying i felt. well, it was satisfying, but not as satisfying as i would have liked. still a great movie though, an like most things it will probably grow on me until i accept it and enjoy it as much as the rest of the movie.

though to be honest, though being incredably excited about the movie, i was a bit skeptical as soon as the first, snail paced scene started up, and consiquently the movie had a lot of work ahead of it to fix this up. sometimes it did, many times it didnt. the ending suffered becasue of this i felt. though like i said about it growing on me - i had simular reservations about leser points in reloaded and seeing it for a second time, knowing what to expect, i enjoyed it a lot more and didnt care about the dodgy bits.

Submitted by JonathanKerr on Tue, 11/11/03 - 1:11 PM Permalink

I think the ending was hampered by the fact that the humans are still kind of weak. The war is over, but there's still shitloads of machines out there and Zion lost a lot of people in the seige.

Submitted by Doord on Tue, 11/11/03 - 8:20 PM Permalink

I'm a huge matrix fan so there was no question if I would like the movie or not. And I think the three work nicely together all different to each other and would work together well if you get the chace to see them all in one sitting.

But beside the story and all that coolness the matrix films can easily be rated by one thing. The amount of smashing concrete.

The more concrete smashed in the film the better, the first one did nothing but smash concrete, the 2nd had some cool bits which were or lead up to smashing concrete and the 3rd had more concrete smashing "just" then the 2nd but not a much as the first.

but for real the last two sit about the same for me I will have to get the DVD to really say one was better then the other. But I will have to say that the end of the last one pissed me off to one end. God damn it end the fucking thing.

Animatrix rocks.

Submitted by Maitrek on Tue, 11/11/03 - 8:35 PM Permalink

What made the ending to the third one weak for me is I remember Morpheus saying in the first one 'As long as the matrix exists, mankind will never be free'.

Apparently not everyone wants to be free though - I guess that's supposed to be consolation.

Submitted by souri on Wed, 12/11/03 - 1:17 AM Permalink

I've been avoiding this thread the whole time because I haven't seen the movie, but tonight we're going to watch Revolutions.

Prepare to see my face change from (:I) to a (:)) or (>:F)

Submitted by inglis on Wed, 12/11/03 - 1:32 AM Permalink

i havent read all the posts because i havent seen the movie yet, so if i am repeating anything..sorry.
but i saw you talking about the oracle and how she died in in real life.

her name was Gloria Foster- she died in september 2001 from diabetes

Submitted by souri on Thu, 13/11/03 - 9:54 AM Permalink

I thought it was an ok movie - definately not as bad as a lot of the reviews put it out to be.

The ending was ok. It's not the complete victory which I guess most people expected, but it was an ending. [:)] The Trinity scene was touching, but maybe went a bit too long. Didn't like the rambo yells during those mech battles, and I so didn't want more Zion crowd cheers. Bad taste in my mouth carried from Reloaded I guess. I was expecting a bit more from the Merovingian character, Morpheus felt like an extra in this film (he seemed to get over being wrong about the whole destiny/prophesy deal pretty quickly), not that much more depth from the new characters that were introduced in Reloaded (that Ghost character got like three words).

There was suspense, all the characters were vulnerable, and the action felt more appropriate this round. And there wasn't any CGI flaws that distracted me like in Reloaded, although at times there was seriously too much going on (fast, blurred action) at the battle at Zion. The battle with Neo and Smith at the end was a little anti-climatic. You have two supermen-like characters fighting and it was good at the beginning with the close combat, but when they had these two dots fly and bump into each other real hard at the end, it lost that epic feel to it..

It didn't clear up everything or tie up all the loose ends, and it left you to fill in a fair bit yourself. I'm still unsure about a lot of things. Neo had powers in the real world because he 'touched the source'? Seraph worked for Merovingian before the Oracle? Why did he switch? Anyway, I enjoyed the movie. [:)]

Submitted by Aven on Thu, 13/11/03 - 7:14 PM Permalink

Does anyone actually know if Ghost died? After the cahse scene, he just disappeared. I would like to know as Asian people tend to have a habit of dying in that series. The other question that I am really interested to know is how are Smith and the Oracle related. He said to her, "Thanks Mum.", and then absorbed her. Was he being sarcastic, or is this true?

I would also like to know more about some of the other support characters. Merovingian, Seriph and Monica Belluci and her nice clevage :D

[img]http://home.netspeed.com.au/mlanham/152244-2003_the_matrix_revolution_0…]

Submitted by Doord on Thu, 13/11/03 - 8:29 PM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by Aven

The other question that I am really interested to know is how are Smith and the Oracle related. He said to her, "Thanks Mum.", and then absorbed her. Was he being sarcastic, or is this true?

Maybe it was from what was said in the 2nd one about the Oracle being the mother of the matrix, which would make all programs in the matrix children of the Oracle and the Arcartec.

Also about the death of Seriph, this could have been well use the break up the very long dead spot before the battel started. OR this spot could have been done with the death of the Merovingian.

quote:Originally posted by Souri

Neo had powers in the real world because he 'touched the source'?

Neo is and very important part of the matrix, as said the first movie about and then again in a different way in the 2nd that the one must be there for the matrix to work, (some bullshit about human emotions) because of the connection the matrix has to the source (the source runs the show, source code and all) Neo which has these connection to the matrix therefore the source is not only able to control the matrix code of the source but found a way to get at the rest of the source to do what he wishes which means disabling machines which are ran by the source. I think the real question is "How human is Neo??"

Submitted by JonathanKerr on Fri, 14/11/03 - 12:50 AM Permalink

I see the One as the perfect machine created Human. Neo did return to the source in the end - just like the Architect said he would.

Seraph did die - it's a shame they didn't show it but it's pretty obvious that the sheer weight of numbers would have overwhelmed him. In some ways, it's good that they just left it to the viewers imagination. The last battle between Smith and Neo shows that no-one escaped Smith. Neo is the One and Smith is the EveryOne.

Submitted by Aven on Fri, 14/11/03 - 1:42 AM Permalink

I actually asked if Ghost died, not Seriph. Ghost was the gunner onboard Naobi's craft.

Seriph didn't really die. At the end of the movie, both himself and the little gitl walk up to the Oracle sitting in the park (I can't remember the little girl's name). Besides, I don't think that they would kill off Seriph. Everyone really likes him and wants to see more of him (hell I know I do).

Submitted by Satyrblood (not verified) on Fri, 14/11/03 - 3:03 AM Permalink

He didn't die but he did get smithified, as did the little girl. But neo did his whole de smithify the Matrix and everything was cool again :P

Submitted by Major Clod on Sat, 22/11/03 - 1:10 PM Permalink

Okay, I just got back from Revolutions, and was not too happy with the ending. I only saw Reloaded once at the Cinema, and have not seen it since, so going back into Revolutions was a tad harder.

I want to know when did Neo get that connection to both the Matrix and the real world, and how? I can't remember exactly what happened in the second film. Also, he is dead right?

I do not understand the whole point of that French guy. I guess I should probably watch them again... but yeah, I wasn't really fond of the second. Could someone please just give me a run down of what exactly the French fella is there for.

Umm yeah.. other than that... meh. I think they could have resolved the whole issue a lot better. They only left the damn ending open so that they could make more money from games and what not. I would have preferred seeing the humans and machines working together at the end.

Now a lot of things from Reloaded are coming back to me, and I am just getting myself more and more confused. Zion being rebuilt, a new Matrix all the time, Neo not being the first one.. the One being important for this or that... I am completely confused now. Anyone care to help :P

Submitted by Sorceror Bob on Sat, 22/11/03 - 3:31 PM Permalink

Ok.. As I understand it, the whole point of the 'one' is to merge with the source so that they can make a new and improved version of the matrix. The architect gave neo a choice - merge and recreate zion, or not merge and have humans go pop.. But save trinity.

Blah blah superman, saves trinity, logs out of matrix, attack by squiddies.. yay neo saves the day by frying squidies in the real world - using his latent connection to the machine world to do so, in the process he puts himself in a coma - which is infact him being wireless connected to the matrix..
Cue shot of neo and real-world smith.. Each belonging to one world, but being mentally in the other.

Tada revolutions.. skip a bunch of crap. Trinity takes 15 minutes to die, despite numerous chest wounds, blind-wanky neo plugs himself into the source to confront smith.. Fight. Smith merges with neo - placing himself in neos body, which has the effect of returning smith to the source.. = smith gets deleted via flashy light show (I wish when I deleted files it would do that!). Neo gets dragged off by hentai tentacle monsters for mass love, stupid kid announces obvious in zion.. Keg tapped.

Sunrise - symbolising new beginning.. Architect and oracle converse with cheesy dialogue.

Credits - no rage against the machine music.

Thats a summary of the matrix as I saw it.. Probably wrong in a few places (no keg.. don't know why.. can't celebrate without one), but I think it makes sense.. Hope it clears some things up for you MC.

Oh and yeah, the french guy was a dude.. I think his job was to know things, it sucked that he played such a small role in the ultimate ending. Woulda liked to have seen him have a last stand with smith.

Submitted by Aven on Sat, 22/11/03 - 6:04 PM Permalink

Phht. That wasn't hentai. Sure, one of his orifices were pluged. Pity it wasn't the right ones to class as hentai. Plus I didn't see any demons...

Submitted by Maitrek on Sun, 23/11/03 - 12:35 AM Permalink

I'm with Sorceror Bob. If you take out all the philosophical stuff from the movie you are pretty much left with a pile of crap :) Plus there's no where near enough kung fu.

At least the first one was 'cool' (I hate using that word though). You didn't need a philosophy/science/mathematics major to appreciate the movie. Plus there's no where near enough kung fu.

I mean it's great how you can interpret the movie(s), but if the story told (by the movie) pretty much sucks when you take away the "intelligentsia" -> then who cares? Plus there's no where near enough kung fu.

Did I mention there's not enough kung *zzzt* there's not enough kung *zzzt* there's not enough kung *zzzt* kung *zzzt* kung *zzzt*.....

Submitted by Sorceror Bob on Sun, 23/11/03 - 1:42 AM Permalink

Phht. That wasn't hentai. Sure, one of his orifices were pluged. Pity it wasn't the right ones to class as hentai. Plus I didn't see any demons...

Robot Demon!!!1

and pfff kung fu!!

I would have liked to have seen more shooty-john woo type stuff..

Submitted by Aven on Sun, 23/11/03 - 6:30 AM Permalink

While we are on the topic of stupid whinges at the Matrix. My biggest bitch about it is that it made Sci-Fi 'Cool" (to quote Maritek :p). Sci-Fi isn't cool. It's nerdy and geeky. It was the basis for all of our lives. Some 16 year old bitch shouldn't find it cool and/or bitching. She should be repulsed by it and pay us out. Damn you Matrix. Damn you all to hell (say the previous two sentences in the most melodramatic way possible :D).

I'm spent for the night now. I'm just going to roll over and fall asleep.

Submitted by Doord on Mon, 24/11/03 - 8:48 PM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by Sorceror Bob

Ok.. As I understand it, the whole point of the 'one' is to merge with the source so that they can make a new and improved version of the matrix. The architect gave neo a choice - merge and recreate zion, or not merge and have humans go pop.. But save trinity.

Blah blah superman, saves trinity, logs out of matrix, attack by squiddies.. yay neo saves the day by frying squidies in the real world - using his latent connection to the machine world to do so, in the process he puts himself in a coma - which is infact him being wireless connected to the matrix..
Cue shot of neo and real-world smith.. Each belonging to one world, but being mentally in the other.

Tada revolutions.. skip a bunch of crap. Trinity takes 15 minutes to die, despite numerous chest wounds, blind-wanky neo plugs himself into the source to confront smith.. Fight. Smith merges with neo - placing himself in neos body, which has the effect of returning smith to the source.. = smith gets deleted via flashy light show (I wish when I deleted files it would do that!). Neo gets dragged off by hentai tentacle monsters for mass love, stupid kid announces obvious in zion.. Keg tapped.

Sunrise - symbolising new beginning.. Architect and oracle converse with cheesy dialogue.

Thats a summary of the matrix as I saw it.. Probably wrong in a few places (no keg.. don't know why.. can't celebrate without one), but I think it makes sense.. Hope it clears some things up for you MC.

Oh and yeah, the french guy was a dude.. I think his job was to know things, it sucked that he played such a small role in the ultimate ending. Woulda liked to have seen him have a last stand with smith.

CLAP Clap clap. nice Matt LOL

Reminds me when we watched the animatrix at your place and I didn't want to see the last short because it was crap. So I did a run down with the short running at about x16 speed.

Submitted by Maitrek on Tue, 25/11/03 - 10:53 AM Permalink

Has anyone noticed that the only good John Woo is hong kong John Woo? America just can't make a decent movie on a b-grade budget...it just ends up b-grade. Whereas in hong kong, b-grade budget can make a decent flick -> what's up with that?

Submitted by Sorceror Bob on Tue, 25/11/03 - 12:33 PM Permalink

It's part of the American rules in regards to action movies.

There are rules to the number of times you can shoot someone etc.. All kinds of crap like that holding him back.. I think his US scripts have been pretty uninspired also.
Also had problems with the actors too, Hard target with van damme.. I read (did an assignment on John Woo)that he'd give van damme a pistol, and all he'd do is kick stuff.

Face off was good, but I think it's the exception, it had all the Woo symbolism and style, though John 'battlefield earth' travolta held that film back.

Heres hoping he's been working on a nice shooty script!

Submitted by JonathanKerr on Tue, 25/11/03 - 1:47 PM Permalink

It's also the pacing. In HK cinema it's 90% action/fighting and 10% plot. In western cinema the plot to action ratio is something along the lines of 50/50.

Submitted by Aven on Tue, 25/11/03 - 8:08 PM Permalink

Just look at any Jackie Chan movie. Sure he has become older since he went to the states, but it is more of a case of American Directors not wanting him to hurt himself. Hence why all his American movie have lame stunts (well compared to his Hong Kong ones).

Plus as Bob said, it comes down to cultural and mass-market differences. An American movie will automatically get more attention than a HK movie. This means that if there are 4000 people shot dead in a HK movie, hardly anyone around the world will know. Do that in an American flick and even 80yr old British women will find out and start complaining about the downward spiral that is society. Plus if ther are any American flicks with extreme violence, the media will always focus on the violence and nothing else. Even if it were to have a fantastic story or meaning, it just wouldn't matter.

A real pity.

Submitted by smeg on Wed, 26/11/03 - 9:50 AM Permalink

I'm almost glad Jackie isn't doing those HK movies anymore. He has almost died so many times its not funny... At least with american movies he's not gonna die on the set.

I just wish i had all those old jackies on DVD. Might have to do a quick search on froogle.com.

sorry, keep talking matrix. :D

Submitted by souri on Wed, 26/11/03 - 10:25 AM Permalink

I saw a making of Rush Hour where Jackie climbs up one freight container, while a truck slams another one into it (seriously dangerous stuff). The producer or director mentions how easy they can fake it, but Jackie wanted the real deal with a truck pushing one real metal freight container against another [:)]
And yeh, I've seen a lot of his most dangerous stunts. I think he said his most dangerous one was when he had to leap off a building to catch a ladder hanging off a helicopter. It was windy and he seriously didn't want to do it.. damn crazy guy. [:)]

Submitted by Sorceror Bob on Wed, 26/11/03 - 11:10 AM Permalink

Souri - I saw that doco too..

The thing with the freight container, they were shooting in HK.. Jackie decided to show them how they did stunts over there :)

The americans wanted to be mega safe, build a plastic container etc.. All the safety stuff JC used was a wooden crate between the wall and the container.

Anyhow.. Stunt happens, I think Chan slips, jumps up, the crate explodes without slowing down the container, at the last second he manages to pull his head out of the way of the container, then says to the producers.
'I like the american way better'

Submitted by JonathanKerr on Wed, 26/11/03 - 1:08 PM Permalink

quote: Hence why all his American movie have lame stunts (well compared to his Hong Kong ones).

True - but could it be that the dude is 50 years old now? Hardly a spring chicken and I dont think he heals as fast as he used to.

Submitted by Maitrek on Wed, 26/11/03 - 8:44 PM Permalink

Whoops - I started a thread hijacking.

My bad :)

Submitted by Sorceror Bob on Thu, 27/11/03 - 2:03 AM Permalink

*shrugs* anyone can go back on topic as soon as they like :)

err.. Monica Belluci's breasts.

There we go..

Posted by Malus on
Forum

Boy am I tired, I went to the midnight showing of the Matrix: Revolution last night, sat through the second one also.

Anyone else go to it? What did you think?

I loved it but then I'm easily pleased, anything with Monica Belluci in it is 10 stars!!

The battle scenes rocked, especially the APC mecha battles.

I thought they did a good job tweaking the CG also, no glaringly obvious areas unlike number 2, probably because they learnt there lesson with CG and slow motion [:P].

Favourite part, for just sheer cheese factor was the punch to Smiths jaw at the end, ooh thats gotta hurt.

The only bad part is theres is no number 4. [:(]

Submitted by LiveWire on Tue, 11/11/03 - 9:19 AM Permalink

i'm not saying i didnt like the ending - it was good, and did bring the series to an at least satisfactory close. but it wasnt really satisfying i felt. well, it was satisfying, but not as satisfying as i would have liked. still a great movie though, an like most things it will probably grow on me until i accept it and enjoy it as much as the rest of the movie.

though to be honest, though being incredably excited about the movie, i was a bit skeptical as soon as the first, snail paced scene started up, and consiquently the movie had a lot of work ahead of it to fix this up. sometimes it did, many times it didnt. the ending suffered becasue of this i felt. though like i said about it growing on me - i had simular reservations about leser points in reloaded and seeing it for a second time, knowing what to expect, i enjoyed it a lot more and didnt care about the dodgy bits.

Submitted by JonathanKerr on Tue, 11/11/03 - 1:11 PM Permalink

I think the ending was hampered by the fact that the humans are still kind of weak. The war is over, but there's still shitloads of machines out there and Zion lost a lot of people in the seige.

Submitted by Doord on Tue, 11/11/03 - 8:20 PM Permalink

I'm a huge matrix fan so there was no question if I would like the movie or not. And I think the three work nicely together all different to each other and would work together well if you get the chace to see them all in one sitting.

But beside the story and all that coolness the matrix films can easily be rated by one thing. The amount of smashing concrete.

The more concrete smashed in the film the better, the first one did nothing but smash concrete, the 2nd had some cool bits which were or lead up to smashing concrete and the 3rd had more concrete smashing "just" then the 2nd but not a much as the first.

but for real the last two sit about the same for me I will have to get the DVD to really say one was better then the other. But I will have to say that the end of the last one pissed me off to one end. God damn it end the fucking thing.

Animatrix rocks.

Submitted by Maitrek on Tue, 11/11/03 - 8:35 PM Permalink

What made the ending to the third one weak for me is I remember Morpheus saying in the first one 'As long as the matrix exists, mankind will never be free'.

Apparently not everyone wants to be free though - I guess that's supposed to be consolation.

Submitted by souri on Wed, 12/11/03 - 1:17 AM Permalink

I've been avoiding this thread the whole time because I haven't seen the movie, but tonight we're going to watch Revolutions.

Prepare to see my face change from (:I) to a (:)) or (>:F)

Submitted by inglis on Wed, 12/11/03 - 1:32 AM Permalink

i havent read all the posts because i havent seen the movie yet, so if i am repeating anything..sorry.
but i saw you talking about the oracle and how she died in in real life.

her name was Gloria Foster- she died in september 2001 from diabetes

Submitted by souri on Thu, 13/11/03 - 9:54 AM Permalink

I thought it was an ok movie - definately not as bad as a lot of the reviews put it out to be.

The ending was ok. It's not the complete victory which I guess most people expected, but it was an ending. [:)] The Trinity scene was touching, but maybe went a bit too long. Didn't like the rambo yells during those mech battles, and I so didn't want more Zion crowd cheers. Bad taste in my mouth carried from Reloaded I guess. I was expecting a bit more from the Merovingian character, Morpheus felt like an extra in this film (he seemed to get over being wrong about the whole destiny/prophesy deal pretty quickly), not that much more depth from the new characters that were introduced in Reloaded (that Ghost character got like three words).

There was suspense, all the characters were vulnerable, and the action felt more appropriate this round. And there wasn't any CGI flaws that distracted me like in Reloaded, although at times there was seriously too much going on (fast, blurred action) at the battle at Zion. The battle with Neo and Smith at the end was a little anti-climatic. You have two supermen-like characters fighting and it was good at the beginning with the close combat, but when they had these two dots fly and bump into each other real hard at the end, it lost that epic feel to it..

It didn't clear up everything or tie up all the loose ends, and it left you to fill in a fair bit yourself. I'm still unsure about a lot of things. Neo had powers in the real world because he 'touched the source'? Seraph worked for Merovingian before the Oracle? Why did he switch? Anyway, I enjoyed the movie. [:)]

Submitted by Aven on Thu, 13/11/03 - 7:14 PM Permalink

Does anyone actually know if Ghost died? After the cahse scene, he just disappeared. I would like to know as Asian people tend to have a habit of dying in that series. The other question that I am really interested to know is how are Smith and the Oracle related. He said to her, "Thanks Mum.", and then absorbed her. Was he being sarcastic, or is this true?

I would also like to know more about some of the other support characters. Merovingian, Seriph and Monica Belluci and her nice clevage :D

[img]http://home.netspeed.com.au/mlanham/152244-2003_the_matrix_revolution_0…]

Submitted by Doord on Thu, 13/11/03 - 8:29 PM Permalink

The other question that I am really interested to know is how are Smith and the Oracle related. He said to her, "Thanks Mum.", and then absorbed her. Was he being sarcastic, or is this true?

Maybe it was from what was said in the 2nd one about the Oracle being the mother of the matrix, which would make all programs in the matrix children of the Oracle and the Arcartec.

Also about the death of Seriph, this could have been well use the break up the very long dead spot before the battel started. OR this spot could have been done with the death of the Merovingian.

quote:Originally posted by Souri

Neo had powers in the real world because he 'touched the source'?

Neo is and very important part of the matrix, as said the first movie about and then again in a different way in the 2nd that the one must be there for the matrix to work, (some bullshit about human emotions) because of the connection the matrix has to the source (the source runs the show, source code and all) Neo which has these connection to the matrix therefore the source is not only able to control the matrix code of the source but found a way to get at the rest of the source to do what he wishes which means disabling machines which are ran by the source. I think the real question is "How human is Neo??"

Submitted by JonathanKerr on Fri, 14/11/03 - 12:50 AM Permalink

I see the One as the perfect machine created Human. Neo did return to the source in the end - just like the Architect said he would.

Seraph did die - it's a shame they didn't show it but it's pretty obvious that the sheer weight of numbers would have overwhelmed him. In some ways, it's good that they just left it to the viewers imagination. The last battle between Smith and Neo shows that no-one escaped Smith. Neo is the One and Smith is the EveryOne.

Submitted by Aven on Fri, 14/11/03 - 1:42 AM Permalink

I actually asked if Ghost died, not Seriph. Ghost was the gunner onboard Naobi's craft.

Seriph didn't really die. At the end of the movie, both himself and the little gitl walk up to the Oracle sitting in the park (I can't remember the little girl's name). Besides, I don't think that they would kill off Seriph. Everyone really likes him and wants to see more of him (hell I know I do).

Submitted by Satyrblood (not verified) on Fri, 14/11/03 - 3:03 AM Permalink

He didn't die but he did get smithified, as did the little girl. But neo did his whole de smithify the Matrix and everything was cool again :P

Submitted by Major Clod on Sat, 22/11/03 - 1:10 PM Permalink

Okay, I just got back from Revolutions, and was not too happy with the ending. I only saw Reloaded once at the Cinema, and have not seen it since, so going back into Revolutions was a tad harder.

I want to know when did Neo get that connection to both the Matrix and the real world, and how? I can't remember exactly what happened in the second film. Also, he is dead right?

I do not understand the whole point of that French guy. I guess I should probably watch them again... but yeah, I wasn't really fond of the second. Could someone please just give me a run down of what exactly the French fella is there for.

Umm yeah.. other than that... meh. I think they could have resolved the whole issue a lot better. They only left the damn ending open so that they could make more money from games and what not. I would have preferred seeing the humans and machines working together at the end.

Now a lot of things from Reloaded are coming back to me, and I am just getting myself more and more confused. Zion being rebuilt, a new Matrix all the time, Neo not being the first one.. the One being important for this or that... I am completely confused now. Anyone care to help :P

Submitted by Sorceror Bob on Sat, 22/11/03 - 3:31 PM Permalink

Submitted by Aven on Sat, 22/11/03 - 6:04 PM Permalink

Submitted by Maitrek on Sun, 23/11/03 - 12:35 AM Permalink

I'm with Sorceror Bob. If you take out all the philosophical stuff from the movie you are pretty much left with a pile of crap :) Plus there's no where near enough kung fu.

At least the first one was 'cool' (I hate using that word though). You didn't need a philosophy/science/mathematics major to appreciate the movie. Plus there's no where near enough kung fu.

I mean it's great how you can interpret the movie(s), but if the story told (by the movie) pretty much sucks when you take away the "intelligentsia" -> then who cares? Plus there's no where near enough kung fu.

Did I mention there's not enough kung *zzzt* there's not enough kung *zzzt* there's not enough kung *zzzt* kung *zzzt* kung *zzzt*.....

Submitted by Sorceror Bob on Sun, 23/11/03 - 1:42 AM Permalink

Robot Demon!!!1

and pfff kung fu!!

I would have liked to have seen more shooty-john woo type stuff..

Submitted by Aven on Sun, 23/11/03 - 6:30 AM Permalink

While we are on the topic of stupid whinges at the Matrix. My biggest bitch about it is that it made Sci-Fi 'Cool" (to quote Maritek :p). Sci-Fi isn't cool. It's nerdy and geeky. It was the basis for all of our lives. Some 16 year old bitch shouldn't find it cool and/or bitching. She should be repulsed by it and pay us out. Damn you Matrix. Damn you all to hell (say the previous two sentences in the most melodramatic way possible :D).

I'm spent for the night now. I'm just going to roll over and fall asleep.

Submitted by Doord on Mon, 24/11/03 - 8:48 PM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by Sorceror Bob

CLAP Clap clap. nice Matt LOL

Reminds me when we watched the animatrix at your place and I didn't want to see the last short because it was crap. So I did a run down with the short running at about x16 speed.

Submitted by Maitrek on Tue, 25/11/03 - 10:53 AM Permalink

Has anyone noticed that the only good John Woo is hong kong John Woo? America just can't make a decent movie on a b-grade budget...it just ends up b-grade. Whereas in hong kong, b-grade budget can make a decent flick -> what's up with that?

Submitted by Sorceror Bob on Tue, 25/11/03 - 12:33 PM Permalink

It's part of the American rules in regards to action movies.

There are rules to the number of times you can shoot someone etc.. All kinds of crap like that holding him back.. I think his US scripts have been pretty uninspired also.
Also had problems with the actors too, Hard target with van damme.. I read (did an assignment on John Woo)that he'd give van damme a pistol, and all he'd do is kick stuff.

Face off was good, but I think it's the exception, it had all the Woo symbolism and style, though John 'battlefield earth' travolta held that film back.

Heres hoping he's been working on a nice shooty script!

Submitted by JonathanKerr on Tue, 25/11/03 - 1:47 PM Permalink

It's also the pacing. In HK cinema it's 90% action/fighting and 10% plot. In western cinema the plot to action ratio is something along the lines of 50/50.

Submitted by Aven on Tue, 25/11/03 - 8:08 PM Permalink

Just look at any Jackie Chan movie. Sure he has become older since he went to the states, but it is more of a case of American Directors not wanting him to hurt himself. Hence why all his American movie have lame stunts (well compared to his Hong Kong ones).

Plus as Bob said, it comes down to cultural and mass-market differences. An American movie will automatically get more attention than a HK movie. This means that if there are 4000 people shot dead in a HK movie, hardly anyone around the world will know. Do that in an American flick and even 80yr old British women will find out and start complaining about the downward spiral that is society. Plus if ther are any American flicks with extreme violence, the media will always focus on the violence and nothing else. Even if it were to have a fantastic story or meaning, it just wouldn't matter.

A real pity.

Submitted by smeg on Wed, 26/11/03 - 9:50 AM Permalink

I'm almost glad Jackie isn't doing those HK movies anymore. He has almost died so many times its not funny... At least with american movies he's not gonna die on the set.

I just wish i had all those old jackies on DVD. Might have to do a quick search on froogle.com.

sorry, keep talking matrix. :D

Submitted by souri on Wed, 26/11/03 - 10:25 AM Permalink

I saw a making of Rush Hour where Jackie climbs up one freight container, while a truck slams another one into it (seriously dangerous stuff). The producer or director mentions how easy they can fake it, but Jackie wanted the real deal with a truck pushing one real metal freight container against another [:)]
And yeh, I've seen a lot of his most dangerous stunts. I think he said his most dangerous one was when he had to leap off a building to catch a ladder hanging off a helicopter. It was windy and he seriously didn't want to do it.. damn crazy guy. [:)]

Submitted by Sorceror Bob on Wed, 26/11/03 - 11:10 AM Permalink

Souri - I saw that doco too..

The thing with the freight container, they were shooting in HK.. Jackie decided to show them how they did stunts over there :)

The americans wanted to be mega safe, build a plastic container etc.. All the safety stuff JC used was a wooden crate between the wall and the container.

Anyhow.. Stunt happens, I think Chan slips, jumps up, the crate explodes without slowing down the container, at the last second he manages to pull his head out of the way of the container, then says to the producers.
'I like the american way better'

Submitted by JonathanKerr on Wed, 26/11/03 - 1:08 PM Permalink

quote: Hence why all his American movie have lame stunts (well compared to his Hong Kong ones).

True - but could it be that the dude is 50 years old now? Hardly a spring chicken and I dont think he heals as fast as he used to.

Submitted by Maitrek on Wed, 26/11/03 - 8:44 PM Permalink

Whoops - I started a thread hijacking.

My bad :)

Submitted by Sorceror Bob on Thu, 27/11/03 - 2:03 AM Permalink

*shrugs* anyone can go back on topic as soon as they like :)

err.. Monica Belluci's breasts.

There we go..