Skip to main content

Doom 3 leak

Forum

Since it is on the main news page, you had to expect a thread about it.
First question: How does this happen? Unreal2, UT2003 and now Doom3, Is it somone working for the publisher, some nerd who hatched an elaborate theft plan at e3? Industry types must have a good theory or two.
Second question: Who's got it? What did you think? I'll admit I'm getting it, I got Unreal2 as well. I'm just curious about it thats all, ID is still going to get my cash when it comes out.
Even though I'm guilty of exploiting the situation by downloading it, I still think its a shame that this happens.
Although if one day in the future Duke Nukem Forever is leaked, you come straight to me damnit :)

Oh yeah, since I mentioned unreal2, even thought there is no multi-player for it, with the leaked copy you can still create bot-matches, not bad :)

Lead paint: delicious but deadly!

Submitted by Malus on Mon, 09/08/04 - 10:15 AM Permalink

I second that, I loved it 'fanboy' style for the first 3 levels (read: shat my panties) and now I'm no longer scared and I just stroll thru the repetetive gameplay shooting stuff...yawn.

God I hope the last levels pick up.

Now I haven't completed it yet so things may change and I for one hope I get to retract my opinion, but alas I feel it may stay. SIGH [:(]

Submitted by Fluffy CatFood on Tue, 10/08/04 - 8:47 AM Permalink

I have to admit, doom3 is over-rated, the scores of 96% etc are ridiculously high, makes me wonder if certain publications (PCPowerPlay) get a bit of a kick back from publishers. Dont get me wrong, Doom3 is a good game but really, it hasnt brought anything new to the table, gameplay is generally kill everything and find the pda/uplink/missing person. there are a few segments with interesting ideas, such as the part where you can operate the crane and the outdoors parts that require you to think and act fast, even though there just simple areas. I really wish ID had borrowed a bit more from systemshock 2 and made it more open for exploration, so far its been pretty straight forward, there is another interesting point that appears to branch the story, but I havent gone back to investigate it yet.
As far as I'm concerned, its no better than Unreal2, (except for the graphics) its going purely on hype, I bet if the same game had been made by an unknown company the gaming media wouldnt be proclaiming it the best thing since half-life. It seems the only honest review I've read is from gamespot.

Submitted by souri on Tue, 10/08/04 - 6:32 PM Permalink

I'm currently at Delta labs section (just after the Monorail), and I am absolutely loving it. I agree, at this point, the enemy movements and attacks are predictable, and it's become a routine matter of "find PDA, unlock new section, kill whatever is in your way", but the story keeps it interesting..
I have to say, I am totally digging the level design. Awesome metal interior designs, lots of incredible operating machinery, and the lighting makes it all the more fantastic. I can't wait to finish the game and do a run through in god mode so I can get a closer look at everything again.

Submitted by Rahnem on Tue, 10/08/04 - 8:51 PM Permalink

hurruh for per pixel lighting.

Submitted by Me109 on Tue, 10/08/04 - 9:27 PM Permalink

yeah I can't pick this game for anything.. it rules.. it is soooooo Doom.. reminds me alot of the original idea and gameplay... Level design is incredible.. and the complexity of the enviroments is nice and polished... I can't complain about this game at all.. ID software has just raised the bar another notch...

my favorite weapon in the shotgun!! you can kill just about every demon with one nicely placed shot to the head.... the only ones that take more than one shot are the those huge ugly bastards! and then the chainsaw is the answer!!

I've just been to hell and back.. where I had no flashlight!!

Submitted by LiveWire on Tue, 10/08/04 - 10:40 PM Permalink

quote:it is soooooo Doom.. reminds me alot of the original idea and gameplay
really? i think it's COMPLETELY different. the originals were very fast paced action, shoting hords of enemies, this one is slow paced, shooting few enemies as they jump out of shadows at you. i dont think it's got anything in comon with the originals except the name...

Submitted by Blitz on Tue, 10/08/04 - 11:44 PM Permalink

" i dont think it's got anything in comon with the originals except the name..."

...and of course the storyline :P
CYer, Blitz

Submitted by MoonUnit on Wed, 11/08/04 - 3:43 AM Permalink

ok youve all probably gathered that i dont particulary like the game by now but you might wanna read this for a laugh (and i know its a matter of personal experience, i just found these guys funny)

http://www.elroyonline.net/pnews.php?page=doom3

quote:elroy: "What say I just run off through this door?"

Furious: "which one?"

elroy: "The only one that i can open."

Furious: "Sounds like the right strategic move elroy! Make tracks!"

Id love to see more reviews like this :P

incase your wondering furious and elroy are from: http://www.victoryguide.net a machinima production made to teach "n00bs" how to play UT2k4 and just generally entertain

Forum

Since it is on the main news page, you had to expect a thread about it.
First question: How does this happen? Unreal2, UT2003 and now Doom3, Is it somone working for the publisher, some nerd who hatched an elaborate theft plan at e3? Industry types must have a good theory or two.
Second question: Who's got it? What did you think? I'll admit I'm getting it, I got Unreal2 as well. I'm just curious about it thats all, ID is still going to get my cash when it comes out.
Even though I'm guilty of exploiting the situation by downloading it, I still think its a shame that this happens.
Although if one day in the future Duke Nukem Forever is leaked, you come straight to me damnit :)

Oh yeah, since I mentioned unreal2, even thought there is no multi-player for it, with the leaked copy you can still create bot-matches, not bad :)

Lead paint: delicious but deadly!

Submitted by Malus on Mon, 09/08/04 - 10:15 AM Permalink

I second that, I loved it 'fanboy' style for the first 3 levels (read: shat my panties) and now I'm no longer scared and I just stroll thru the repetetive gameplay shooting stuff...yawn.

God I hope the last levels pick up.

Now I haven't completed it yet so things may change and I for one hope I get to retract my opinion, but alas I feel it may stay. SIGH [:(]

Submitted by Fluffy CatFood on Tue, 10/08/04 - 8:47 AM Permalink

I have to admit, doom3 is over-rated, the scores of 96% etc are ridiculously high, makes me wonder if certain publications (PCPowerPlay) get a bit of a kick back from publishers. Dont get me wrong, Doom3 is a good game but really, it hasnt brought anything new to the table, gameplay is generally kill everything and find the pda/uplink/missing person. there are a few segments with interesting ideas, such as the part where you can operate the crane and the outdoors parts that require you to think and act fast, even though there just simple areas. I really wish ID had borrowed a bit more from systemshock 2 and made it more open for exploration, so far its been pretty straight forward, there is another interesting point that appears to branch the story, but I havent gone back to investigate it yet.
As far as I'm concerned, its no better than Unreal2, (except for the graphics) its going purely on hype, I bet if the same game had been made by an unknown company the gaming media wouldnt be proclaiming it the best thing since half-life. It seems the only honest review I've read is from gamespot.

Submitted by souri on Tue, 10/08/04 - 6:32 PM Permalink

I'm currently at Delta labs section (just after the Monorail), and I am absolutely loving it. I agree, at this point, the enemy movements and attacks are predictable, and it's become a routine matter of "find PDA, unlock new section, kill whatever is in your way", but the story keeps it interesting..
I have to say, I am totally digging the level design. Awesome metal interior designs, lots of incredible operating machinery, and the lighting makes it all the more fantastic. I can't wait to finish the game and do a run through in god mode so I can get a closer look at everything again.

Submitted by Rahnem on Tue, 10/08/04 - 8:51 PM Permalink

hurruh for per pixel lighting.

Submitted by Me109 on Tue, 10/08/04 - 9:27 PM Permalink

yeah I can't pick this game for anything.. it rules.. it is soooooo Doom.. reminds me alot of the original idea and gameplay... Level design is incredible.. and the complexity of the enviroments is nice and polished... I can't complain about this game at all.. ID software has just raised the bar another notch...

my favorite weapon in the shotgun!! you can kill just about every demon with one nicely placed shot to the head.... the only ones that take more than one shot are the those huge ugly bastards! and then the chainsaw is the answer!!

I've just been to hell and back.. where I had no flashlight!!

Submitted by LiveWire on Tue, 10/08/04 - 10:40 PM Permalink

quote:it is soooooo Doom.. reminds me alot of the original idea and gameplay
really? i think it's COMPLETELY different. the originals were very fast paced action, shoting hords of enemies, this one is slow paced, shooting few enemies as they jump out of shadows at you. i dont think it's got anything in comon with the originals except the name...

Submitted by Blitz on Tue, 10/08/04 - 11:44 PM Permalink

" i dont think it's got anything in comon with the originals except the name..."

...and of course the storyline :P
CYer, Blitz

Submitted by MoonUnit on Wed, 11/08/04 - 3:43 AM Permalink

ok youve all probably gathered that i dont particulary like the game by now but you might wanna read this for a laugh (and i know its a matter of personal experience, i just found these guys funny)

http://www.elroyonline.net/pnews.php?page=doom3

quote:elroy: "What say I just run off through this door?"

Furious: "which one?"

elroy: "The only one that i can open."

Furious: "Sounds like the right strategic move elroy! Make tracks!"

Id love to see more reviews like this :P

incase your wondering furious and elroy are from: http://www.victoryguide.net a machinima production made to teach "n00bs" how to play UT2k4 and just generally entertain