Skip to main content

Doom 3 leak

Forum

Since it is on the main news page, you had to expect a thread about it.
First question: How does this happen? Unreal2, UT2003 and now Doom3, Is it somone working for the publisher, some nerd who hatched an elaborate theft plan at e3? Industry types must have a good theory or two.
Second question: Who's got it? What did you think? I'll admit I'm getting it, I got Unreal2 as well. I'm just curious about it thats all, ID is still going to get my cash when it comes out.
Even though I'm guilty of exploiting the situation by downloading it, I still think its a shame that this happens.
Although if one day in the future Duke Nukem Forever is leaked, you come straight to me damnit :)

Oh yeah, since I mentioned unreal2, even thought there is no multi-player for it, with the leaked copy you can still create bot-matches, not bad :)

Lead paint: delicious but deadly!

Submitted by MoonUnit on Fri, 16/07/04 - 9:58 PM Permalink

wait, arent raven soft the guys behind the jedi knight series? I mean they were allright games but they werent amazing...

Submitted by tbag on Mon, 19/07/04 - 5:30 AM Permalink

Every Star Wars game i have played bored the hell out of me except the original Rogue Squadron...

Only around a month left people, scrape up that ca$h and go and grab a copy.

Submitted by Maitrek on Tue, 20/07/04 - 9:31 PM Permalink

What about KOTOR? That was mostly pretty good, although the gameplay was bland.

Submitted by tbag on Wed, 21/07/04 - 4:06 AM Permalink

Call me old fashioned but i thought KOTOR deserved the taste of my backhand [:p].

Anyway, has everyone seen those horrifying specs for Doom III?

Low-End:
1.5GhzP4 or equivalent
512MB Ram
Geforce4 Ti 4800 or Radeon 9500

Mid-Range:
2.4GhzP4 or equivalent
1GB RAM
Geforce5950 or Radeon 9800 Pro/XT

High_End: Aka Hardware that doesn't exist, but best guess anyway
3.4GhzP4 or AMD equivalent
2GB RAM
GeForce 6800 Ultra or Radeon X800 XT PE.

Oh well... my two new systems shouldnt do to bad:

AMD Athlon XP 2800s
Kingston 1024 DDR
GeCube 128m Radeon 9600XT Extreme

I think i'll try before i buy just like i am doing with FarCry [:p]

Submitted by Major Clod on Thu, 22/07/04 - 7:19 AM Permalink

A fella at work came in a few weeks ago and returned an Athlon 64 3200 because apparently one of the guys here told him it had 1MB cache whereas they only have 512Kb. I quickly snapped up the CPU from my manager for $300 when we sell em for $470, cost being around the $450 mark.

That replaced my tired old XP1900 Athlon which I'll drop into my sisters computer so she can play The Sims 2. Hopefully my 9500 will be kind enough to let me play Doom 3 well enough, I don't want to have to buy a new video card too.

Submitted by souri on Thu, 22/07/04 - 10:28 PM Permalink

My computer is below-mid range at those specs [:(]

Submitted by inglis on Fri, 23/07/04 - 12:25 AM Permalink

i dont know much about doom 3.

whats the multiplayer setup like??

Submitted by Doord on Fri, 23/07/04 - 1:52 AM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by tbag

2GB RAM

After this weekend I'm only 0.2 Ghz from this.

Submitted by Doord on Fri, 23/07/04 - 1:53 AM Permalink

All because of Zbrush [;)]

Submitted by tbag on Fri, 23/07/04 - 3:41 AM Permalink

Games are getting too power hungry, if you ask me i dont care about the models, i care about the environments around me when i am in a game, i mean the models are pretty and all but in the end you most likely end up killing them where as in an environment you have some great freedom...

Submitted by tbag on Sat, 24/07/04 - 2:34 AM Permalink

I saw that but it doesnt provide much information on how older cards perform which i thought was a bit irritating but still, im going to wait 2 years until i beef up another system.

Submitted by Aven on Wed, 28/07/04 - 8:40 AM Permalink

Just thought that a few people may be interested in this movie on Doom 3. It was quite and interesting watch, but you could tell that they were all tip-toeing around the problems they had when deciding if they should make it or not. The gameplay footage does look pretty damn nice.

http://doom3.planet-multiplayer.de/comment.php?897

Big downloads :)

Submitted by Daemin on Wed, 28/07/04 - 11:41 PM Permalink

I think as long as you have a decent enough computer to run recentish games - i.e. UT2k4 on pretty damn high settings, you'll be fine playing Doom 3. From what I have read you can scale the amount of texture compression that the game uses and the amount of sound data and other things depending on how powerful your computer is. The main factor in playing Doom 3 will probably be a combination of Ram sizes and Processor power. Which sounds like every other game but usually they don't fill up anyone's ram to the max.

Submitted by tbag on Fri, 30/07/04 - 10:35 PM Permalink

Those specs sound about accurate, in a few years time game engines will be very advanced and pretty [;)]... but then comes the money problem...

Submitted by Daemin on Fri, 30/07/04 - 10:37 PM Permalink

Yeah I read that, although I don't trust the calculations as much as other people. Suffice to say that it might be about right, but then again that will happen in 2007, so a still long way away.

The money shouldn't be a problem, since by that time the low end computers will probably be around the very high end specs today, so we should be able to play the next game anyways. (That is the low end gaming machines)

Submitted by Makk on Sat, 31/07/04 - 1:30 AM Permalink

The latest issue of PC PowerPlay has a "world first" review of Doom3.
Those wanting to know what score it got.........read the magazine!!!
Well, if you want to know, it got...

*****Spoiler******

Submitted by tbag on Sat, 31/07/04 - 4:14 AM Permalink

Yeah i saw that, id had to dig its way out. Cheap bastards! Boo!

Submitted by Maitrek on Sun, 01/08/04 - 11:50 PM Permalink

PCPP is garbage compared to what it used to be, they give out 96% to everything!

Submitted by Maitrek on Mon, 02/08/04 - 8:26 AM Permalink

tbag - lol
I was just reading that HardOCP article, seemed pretty unobjective but having said that it's well known that the latest nvidia card and doom 3 were designed a bit hand in hand towards the end of their development.
ATI are rewriting their OpenGL drivers from scratch so hopefully some improvements will be made in that regard.

Submitted by tachyon on Tue, 03/08/04 - 8:32 AM Permalink

wtf, winning bid US $20,000,100.00 !!?! is this serious or what

Submitted by MoonUnit on Tue, 03/08/04 - 9:00 AM Permalink

holy mother.... damn i reckon developers should just auction of a copy of their game early before release, then they can make back the development costs and let all the retail copies bring in the profit!! :D

Submitted by souri on Tue, 03/08/04 - 7:57 PM Permalink

It seems like everyone in America is enjoying Doom3 at the moment... d[>.<]b

I wanna enjoy Doom3. :(
Submitted by Shplorb on Tue, 03/08/04 - 10:01 PM Permalink

"Holy " is really the only way to describe this game.

I bought a surround sound system for it on the weekend =]

Oh, and bugger ATI - their drivers are shit and keep hanging.

Submitted by Soul on Tue, 03/08/04 - 10:20 PM Permalink

Runs fine on my 9800 Pro - had to download the latest drivers though.

As far as first impressions go, the presentation is incredible, but the gameplay is pretty ordinary (it is, after all, just a shooter).

Forum

Since it is on the main news page, you had to expect a thread about it.
First question: How does this happen? Unreal2, UT2003 and now Doom3, Is it somone working for the publisher, some nerd who hatched an elaborate theft plan at e3? Industry types must have a good theory or two.
Second question: Who's got it? What did you think? I'll admit I'm getting it, I got Unreal2 as well. I'm just curious about it thats all, ID is still going to get my cash when it comes out.
Even though I'm guilty of exploiting the situation by downloading it, I still think its a shame that this happens.
Although if one day in the future Duke Nukem Forever is leaked, you come straight to me damnit :)

Oh yeah, since I mentioned unreal2, even thought there is no multi-player for it, with the leaked copy you can still create bot-matches, not bad :)

Lead paint: delicious but deadly!

Submitted by MoonUnit on Fri, 16/07/04 - 9:58 PM Permalink

wait, arent raven soft the guys behind the jedi knight series? I mean they were allright games but they werent amazing...

Submitted by tbag on Mon, 19/07/04 - 5:30 AM Permalink

Every Star Wars game i have played bored the hell out of me except the original Rogue Squadron...

Only around a month left people, scrape up that ca$h and go and grab a copy.

Submitted by Maitrek on Tue, 20/07/04 - 9:31 PM Permalink

What about KOTOR? That was mostly pretty good, although the gameplay was bland.

Submitted by tbag on Wed, 21/07/04 - 4:06 AM Permalink

Call me old fashioned but i thought KOTOR deserved the taste of my backhand [:p].

Anyway, has everyone seen those horrifying specs for Doom III?

Low-End:
1.5GhzP4 or equivalent
512MB Ram
Geforce4 Ti 4800 or Radeon 9500

Mid-Range:
2.4GhzP4 or equivalent
1GB RAM
Geforce5950 or Radeon 9800 Pro/XT

2GB RAM

Oh well... my two new systems shouldnt do to bad:

AMD Athlon XP 2800s
Kingston 1024 DDR
GeCube 128m Radeon 9600XT Extreme

I think i'll try before i buy just like i am doing with FarCry [:p]

Submitted by Major Clod on Thu, 22/07/04 - 7:19 AM Permalink

A fella at work came in a few weeks ago and returned an Athlon 64 3200 because apparently one of the guys here told him it had 1MB cache whereas they only have 512Kb. I quickly snapped up the CPU from my manager for $300 when we sell em for $470, cost being around the $450 mark.

That replaced my tired old XP1900 Athlon which I'll drop into my sisters computer so she can play The Sims 2. Hopefully my 9500 will be kind enough to let me play Doom 3 well enough, I don't want to have to buy a new video card too.

Submitted by souri on Thu, 22/07/04 - 10:28 PM Permalink

My computer is below-mid range at those specs [:(]

Submitted by inglis on Fri, 23/07/04 - 12:25 AM Permalink

i dont know much about doom 3.

whats the multiplayer setup like??

Submitted by Doord on Fri, 23/07/04 - 1:52 AM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by tbag

2GB RAM

After this weekend I'm only 0.2 Ghz from this.

Submitted by Doord on Fri, 23/07/04 - 1:53 AM Permalink

All because of Zbrush [;)]

Submitted by tbag on Fri, 23/07/04 - 3:41 AM Permalink

Games are getting too power hungry, if you ask me i dont care about the models, i care about the environments around me when i am in a game, i mean the models are pretty and all but in the end you most likely end up killing them where as in an environment you have some great freedom...

Submitted by tbag on Sat, 24/07/04 - 2:34 AM Permalink

I saw that but it doesnt provide much information on how older cards perform which i thought was a bit irritating but still, im going to wait 2 years until i beef up another system.

Submitted by Aven on Wed, 28/07/04 - 8:40 AM Permalink

Just thought that a few people may be interested in this movie on Doom 3. It was quite and interesting watch, but you could tell that they were all tip-toeing around the problems they had when deciding if they should make it or not. The gameplay footage does look pretty damn nice.

http://doom3.planet-multiplayer.de/comment.php?897

Big downloads :)

Submitted by Daemin on Wed, 28/07/04 - 11:41 PM Permalink

I think as long as you have a decent enough computer to run recentish games - i.e. UT2k4 on pretty damn high settings, you'll be fine playing Doom 3. From what I have read you can scale the amount of texture compression that the game uses and the amount of sound data and other things depending on how powerful your computer is. The main factor in playing Doom 3 will probably be a combination of Ram sizes and Processor power. Which sounds like every other game but usually they don't fill up anyone's ram to the max.

Submitted by tbag on Fri, 30/07/04 - 10:35 PM Permalink

Those specs sound about accurate, in a few years time game engines will be very advanced and pretty [;)]... but then comes the money problem...

Submitted by Daemin on Fri, 30/07/04 - 10:37 PM Permalink

Yeah I read that, although I don't trust the calculations as much as other people. Suffice to say that it might be about right, but then again that will happen in 2007, so a still long way away.

The money shouldn't be a problem, since by that time the low end computers will probably be around the very high end specs today, so we should be able to play the next game anyways. (That is the low end gaming machines)

Submitted by Makk on Sat, 31/07/04 - 1:30 AM Permalink

The latest issue of PC PowerPlay has a "world first" review of Doom3.
Those wanting to know what score it got.........read the magazine!!!
Well, if you want to know, it got...

*****Spoiler******

Submitted by tbag on Sat, 31/07/04 - 4:14 AM Permalink

Yeah i saw that, id had to dig its way out. Cheap bastards! Boo!

Submitted by Maitrek on Sun, 01/08/04 - 11:50 PM Permalink

PCPP is garbage compared to what it used to be, they give out 96% to everything!

Submitted by Maitrek on Mon, 02/08/04 - 8:26 AM Permalink

tbag - lol
I was just reading that HardOCP article, seemed pretty unobjective but having said that it's well known that the latest nvidia card and doom 3 were designed a bit hand in hand towards the end of their development.
ATI are rewriting their OpenGL drivers from scratch so hopefully some improvements will be made in that regard.

Submitted by tachyon on Tue, 03/08/04 - 8:32 AM Permalink

wtf, winning bid US $20,000,100.00 !!?! is this serious or what

Submitted by MoonUnit on Tue, 03/08/04 - 9:00 AM Permalink

holy mother.... damn i reckon developers should just auction of a copy of their game early before release, then they can make back the development costs and let all the retail copies bring in the profit!! :D

Submitted by souri on Tue, 03/08/04 - 7:57 PM Permalink

It seems like everyone in America is enjoying Doom3 at the moment... d[>.<]b

I wanna enjoy Doom3. :(
Submitted by Shplorb on Tue, 03/08/04 - 10:01 PM Permalink

"Holy " is really the only way to describe this game.

I bought a surround sound system for it on the weekend =]

Oh, and bugger ATI - their drivers are shit and keep hanging.

Submitted by Soul on Tue, 03/08/04 - 10:20 PM Permalink

Runs fine on my 9800 Pro - had to download the latest drivers though.

As far as first impressions go, the presentation is incredible, but the gameplay is pretty ordinary (it is, after all, just a shooter).