Krome Studios is Hiring

Company:
News:

Krome Studios is Australia's largest game development studio, we have come a long way since our humble beginning in 1999. We now boast 4 project teams, over 200 talented people and an increasing presence in the worldwide game development industry.

To date, Krome Studios has created ten successful titles on multiple platforms and languages, including TY the Tasmanian Tiger?, Krome's own IP and Platinum selling global videogame franchise.

We are currently recruiting individuals for the following positions:
Assistant Producer
Environment Artist
Quality Assurance Testers
Effects Programmer
Network Programmer
Game Programmer
3D Artist
Senior Engine Programmer
Tools Programmer

To apply email humanresources@kromestudios.com or for more information about positons and how to apply please refer to our website www.kromestudios.com

Comments

anonymous's picture

• 1. Anonymous Coward - Thu, 26 Oct 2006 13:30:31Z
    Mr or Mrs HR person, Krome has done a lot of great games apart from Ty, but you only mentioned Ty in your advertising speal :) Time to update your speal with a little more of the other great games you have done.
  • 2. pp - Fri, 27 Oct 2006 17:4:43Z
    To call games from Krome "great" is a joke in itself - have they even scored over 75(percent) in any game with metacritic
  • 3. Anonymous Coward - Fri, 27 Oct 2006 22:30:19Z
    and how many games have you made that have scored over 75(percent)?
  • 4. CynicalFan - Fri, 27 Oct 2006 23:29:4Z
    I've made two that have gone commercial - and only two so far.

Though, I think of it more along the lines of being involved with two projects, as I didn't solely "make" them myself ;).

• 5. Anonymous Coward - Sun, 29 Oct 2006 15:30:15Z
    So you work for krome cynicalfan?
  • 6. CynicalFan - Sun, 29 Oct 2006 16:45:44Z
  • 7. Anonymous Coward - Sun, 29 Oct 2006 17:16:22Z
    BTW Krome Studios is by far the biggest Australian exclusive company in Australia. 230 people and counting ;)

It may not have a metacritic count above 75 (although spyro is averaging about 74/75) but its successful in terms of number of projects going at once and the number of people the company employs

• 8. CynicalFan - Sun, 29 Oct 2006 18:49:42Z
    Whoopee...
  • 9. Anonymous Coward - Mon, 30 Oct 2006 0:0:29Z
    Typical CynicalFan, someone suggests that the australia industry is actually doing well, and you start your typical rant.
  • 10. CynicalFan - Mon, 30 Oct 2006 14:48:48Z
    What rant? My last two comments were single words.
  • 11. Jim Bob - Mon, 30 Oct 2006 16:36:55Z
    Must be high risk employing all those people, operating costs must be huge, hope they have the management experience to deal with such fast growth!
  • 12. CynicalFan - Mon, 30 Oct 2006 16:54:4Z
    First studio I worked for didn't - though, it was not to that "scale." They grew big fast for a project, then when it went gold, they shrank even faster to a skeleton crew.

They didn't have the "management" in place to keep it all churning along. Though there were other issues, but, these would have been overcome or just insignificant if the management side was up to spec.

It's funny, I seem to recall telling them what was going to happen in my "performance" review and why. They didn't listen.

• 13. Anonymous Coward - Mon, 30 Oct 2006 16:58:28Z
    Yeah thats always a danger, I remember having the experience with more commercial companies who grew too quick.
  • 14. Lubby - Mon, 30 Oct 2006 22:32:36Z
    pp, you make it sound like porting titles, or making licensed products is a bad thing? Sure we would all love to work on purely our own IP but this is generally not possible. How many studios do get to work exclusively on their own IP. Not bloody many. Now man get off your high horse.
  • 15. Linds - Mon, 30 Oct 2006 22:55:6Z
    So the thread has gone from the statement that Krome makes games other than their own IP, to that Krome is just a port/licensing studio.
    That is funny.
  • 16. ChiggenWingz - Tue, 31 Oct 2006 14:38:54Z
    How well is the QA treated, are there many there with experience? Are they part time/full time or casuals? How fast is turn over on QA?

A while back they were calling for night testers, what hours is the night testing?

• 17. Anonymous Coward - Tue, 31 Oct 2006 20:29:57Z
    Yeah basically Krome have like 30-40 testers, and to make sure they get maximum number of testers they also do nightshifts. Around 5pm to 2-3am in the morning

Most QA seem to be happy at Krome, turnover is relatively low but obviously there are a lot of casual employees in QA. Krome are generally pretty good with most of their employees (more so than other companies I've worked for)

• 18. AJ - Wed, 1 Nov 2006 0:32:7Z
    I applied to Krome QA, have a fair bit of experience, but I haven't heard back yet. Not exactly a bad sign considering it has taken over a week for various Studio HRs to get back to me on other QA jobs... QA is pretty low of the 'needed' list during the hiring process :p If you have ever worked for other big companies they may treat you well, but you're pretty much expendable fodder.

Hope they do actually get back to me, if only to tell me the usual "thanks for your interest BUT..." email.

• 19. Anonymous Coward - Wed, 1 Nov 2006 7:38:34Z
    Yeah AJ, I know they had to recently employ a new HR assistant (ontop of the HR manager already in the company) just to handle the load of sifting through all the application, especially the QA positions.

When I originally applied at Krome, I did in early December 2005 (I have worked for 2 other games companies), and it wasn't until actually out of the blue at the end of February I got the call to do a phone interview (I was in melbourne at that stage) and that was for a programmer position, so don't get too frustrated if you don't hear back quickly.

• 20. Anonymous Coward - Wed, 1 Nov 2006 8:6:23Z
    I'm with you on that one.

I applied for an animator position a while back and heard absolutely nothing for about 3 months. Then out of the blue I got sent a test. I did the test, sent it off and heard nothing again for a few months. Then I finally got an email saying I wasn't successful - which was fine. I sent an email back asking for feedback and they got back to me straight away saying that Krome doesn't give feedback. -

Go figure.

• 21. Anonymous Coward - Wed, 1 Nov 2006 9:26:30Z
    That would be irritating not being able to get feedback back.
  • 22. Anonymous Coward - Wed, 1 Nov 2006 13:34:30Z
    They could have at least waited another 3 months to tell you that they don't give feedback lol. Just to be consistent.
  • 23. Anonymous Coward - Wed, 1 Nov 2006 17:11:12Z