Buy Somewhere is a Sydney-based games and technology studio working on its first mobile title, a genre-defining location-based game. To support this game, we're building market-leading world generation systems.
These are big goals, and our talented team needs an Art Director to help us develop a mobile-friendly art style that’s a cheeky and playful mix of stylized characters and procedurally generated cities.
Do you find yourself wondering how you’d turn your favourite street corners and buildings into a virtual city that’s vibrant and full of life? Are you passionate about endearing characters and animations that delight players? If so, you may be our perfect Art Director!
We're looking for an Art Director with a passion for real-world architecture, cartoon characters and combat animations, and a technical mindset. You’ll work with the Game Director to develop the art direction, and then work with the Producer to run the art team and see your work through from inception to delivery. We want someone who takes pride in their work and tackles the intensity of game production with humour and a collaborative attitude.
As our Art Director, you will:
- Define the game’s art direction in collaboration with the Game Director and other relevant stakeholders
- Partner closely with the Producer and senior management team to define deliverables and timelines, and ensure that they are met. Work with the artists, game designers and front-end coders to determine which assets are needed and what constraints apply Manage the art team to deliver on your direction and find creative solutions to technical challenges
- Troubleshoot roadblocks and technical puzzles so your team can produce their best work
- Develop art assets yourself as required by the project
- Monitor the quality and consistency of the 3D art, animation and UI, and provide relevant feedback to your team
- Encourage, assess and integrate input from relevant stakeholders
- Own art development processes and implement good practices within the department
- Advise on required roles in the team and participate in recruitment efforts
- Support the personal development of your team and share knowledge from your own experience and research
We seek someone who has:
- 5+ years of experience in the games industry, and at least one year leading an art team.
- Shipped at least one game, ideally on mobile
- Demonstrable skills in all aspects of art direction (form, function, style, colour theory, composition, principles of animation and technical execution)
- Specialised skills in at least one of the core areas of art development (3D modelling and texturing, rigging and animation, and/or UI) Strong understanding of art development software, especially Maya
- Strong understanding of rapid art production pipelines and technical constraints within the context of game development
- Proven leadership and team management ability
- Good prioritisation and sequencing skills
- Experience implementing art assets in a game engine, especially Unity
- Understanding of the impact of art decisions on the overall project
- Problem-solving and decision-making ability
- Great written and verbal communication
- Attention to detail and dedication to producing work you’re proud of within tight development timelines
- Great collaborative attitude and a sense of humour
- Your software skills include Maya, Unity, ZBrush and Substance Painter/Designer. You’re passionate about location-based gameplay and procedural generation. You're as comfortable creating - characters as you are creating environments.
- You love action gameplay, animations and VFX.
- You have experience scripting shaders and/or animation triggers. You’ve dabbled in UX and game design or coding.
- You’ve worked in free-to-play and/or mobile development before. You know Confluence and Jira.
- You’ve documented art technology research and reports for R&D tax breaks.
- A place on a fully-funded, collaborative team
- Pay based on experience
- A chance to develop a game from start to years into live service
- An opportunity to grow into more responsibilities as the team expands.
- Relocation support. While Sydney-based applicants are preferred, we are open to applicants Australia-wide. You must be authorized to work in Australia as a citizen, permanent resident or current holder of a 457 visa.
Do you see yourself in this?
We’d love to get your resume at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include a list of your published projects and any relevant links.
APPLICATIONS REQUIRE A PORTFOLIO AND/OR DEMO REEL. Applications will only be considered if submitted WITH a portfolio or reel demonstrating the work you've done.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.