Buy Somewhere is a Sydney-based games and technology studio working on its first mobile title, a genre-defining location-based game. To support this game, we're building market-leading world generation systems.
These are big goals, and to help us meet them, our talented team needs a fast and talented 3D artist to build interesting and dynamic cities with us.
Do you find yourself staring at buildings and down city streets imagining how you'd create all those tiny moving parts that make a city looks so vibrant and full of life? If so, you may be the artist for us!
We're looking for a 3D artist with either a background in architecture and/or a passion for building cities that look inhabited and full of life. Maya experience is preferred but we can accommodate whichever application you do your fastest and best work in. The ideal artist would be comfortable working fast under tight deadlines and can face the excitement and intensity of game production with humour and a desire to find interesting solutions to all the weird problems that can come up later in production.
As a 3D Artist on our team, you will:
- - Work with the art team to find creative solutions to technical challenges
- Follow the art direction approved by design and production
- Create assets within the constraints required by a procedural generation engine (don't worry we can teach you how to do this if you've never done it before!)
- UV map and texture objects, both repeating and unique textures
- Assist in creating production stills and videos for promotion of the game
- Undertake a professional development pathway and share knowledge gained with the rest of the art team
We often wear many hats on these projects! Potential responsibilities also include:
- - Rigging and Animation
- Creation and rendering of VFX to sprite sheets
- Creating texture atlases and developing materials in Unity
We seek someone who has:
- - Demonstrable understanding of form, function and style
- Demonstrable understanding of colour theory and composition
- Low Poly Modelling experience
- Experience UV mapping and creating a variety of texture maps
- Experience in a rapid production pipeline like games, television or film (architectural visualisation will also be considered)
- Experience importing objects into a game engine
- A great attitude and a sense of humour
- Understanding of prioritisation and sequencing of tasks on a games project
- Problem-solving and decision-making ability
- Good written and verbal communication skills
- - You're a Maya wizard and a Unity aficionado.
- You're as comfortable creating characters and organic shapes as you are hard surface objects and architecture
- You’ve worked in free-to-play and/or mobile development before.
- You know Confluence and Jira.
- - A place on a fully-funded, collaborative team
- Pay based on experience
- A chance to develop a game from start to years into live service
- An opportunity to grow into more responsibilities as the team expands.
- Relocation support. While Sydney-based applicants are preferred, we are open to applicants Australia-wide. You must be authorized to work in Australia as a citizen, permanent resident or current holder of a 457 visa.
Do you see yourself in this?
We’d love to get your resume at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include a list of your published projects and any relevant links.
APPLICATIONS REQUIRE A PORTFOLIO AND/OR DEMO REEL. Applications will only be considered if submitted WITH a portfolio or reel demonstrating the work you've done.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.