About Hipster Whale
Hipster Whale is an entirely independent Melbourne based studio, founded in 2014 by Matt Hall and Andy Sum. Hipster Whale’s first release, Crossy Road, has been downloaded more than 200 million times and was a truly global hit. If you’re working with us, you probably know this.
Hipster Whale have since released PAC-MAN 256 in 2015 with Bandai Namco, Disney Crossy Road in 2016 with Disney, and Piffle with Mighty Games Group in 2018.
We’re searching for a talented in-house Artist to join the Hipster Whale team on a full-time basis to help bring to life some really exciting projects which are underway for 2019. For the right candidate, this could be an art lead/art director position at the studio.
Ideally, you’ll be Melbourne based (or willing to relocate) and already hold a Visa allowing to you work in Australia. We offer flexible hours and are open to our creative team working on their own projects, in their own time.
- - Oversee the visual direction of games and products for the studio
- - Produce sketches, storyboards, roughs to visualize ideas and concepts
- - Understand marketing initiatives, strategic positioning, and target audience
- - Take work from concept to final execution
- - When required, manage and delegate responsibilities to other artists and provide direction
- - Proven working experience in the games industry, with a creative portfolio which is suitable to the house style of Hipster Whale (you probably don’t hate voxels and bright things)
- - A good sense of humour
- - Demonstrable experience with design, typography, colour, layout, and composition
- - Comfortable using standard 2D and 3D packages - Photoshop, Illustrator, etc
- - Working knowledge of Unity (or other games engine/s) and preparing optimised assets
- - A portfolio of voxel work is definitely a plus but not necessary
- - Animation knowledge/ability is a definite plus
- - Able to incorporate feedback and take/give direction well
- - Team player with strong communication and presentation skills
Please email us at email@example.com with [Name – Artist Position] in the subject line. The email should include:
- 1. A cover letter explaining your interest in joining Hipster Whale
- 2. Your CV
- 3. A link to your portfolio or reel
- 4. A link to *ONE* piece of work which you think showcases your suitability for Hipster Whale and this role specifically
We will do our best to respond individually to all applicants. We really look forward to seeing your work!
Applications close COB Wednesday 13 February, 2019.