Skip to main content

And on the 8th day he said, HL2 shall be delayed.

Submitted by sho nuff on
Forum

This is from the ign site.

July 29, 2003 - Despite Gabe Newell's emphatic and constant claims at E3 2003 that the highly anticipated Half-Life sequel (we thinks it be Half-Life 2) would release on September 20th 2003 and exactly September 20th, VU Games spokespeople today said over the phone that the title would in fact not ship to retail until "Holiday 2003," which doesn't say a whole hell of a lot other than, "Not September 20th." Unless there's some kind of Washington state holiday we're not familiar with, or Christmas is starting way early this year, VU Games' date change seems like a safe bet to preemptively stave off a potential delay. Vaguely say it'll release "holiday 2003" and presto, you can't go wrong unless it comes out in 2004, which it certainly will not.
Purportedly, Gabe Newell himself has been visiting bulletin boards and responding to emails as he regularly does saying only that this was the first he's heard of the mysterious delay. Spooky. Unfortunately, no one from Valve was available for official comment at time of publish (we have the questions spreading across the wire, however).

Hopefully we'll learn the reason for the delay very, very soon. Regardless, Half-Life 2 still remains one of the most anticipated games of the holiday shopping season, especially now that it's scheduled to release during the holiday shopping season

Submitted by souri on Thu, 31/07/03 - 10:30 AM Permalink

This from Shacknews

A number of gaming sites out there are carrying word of an alleged Half-Life 2 delay according to some folks at Vivendi Universal who are publishing the title retail for Valve Software. However word doesnt seem to have traveled down to Valve according to an email pulled from the Steam forums. (We havent been able to directly confirm or deny with anyone at Valve yet) who might know a thing or two about that. timm of Shacknews comments fame already pointed out this Gabe Newell response:

First time I've heard about this.

So there you go, dont panic just yet as Valve Software decides when they ship, not Vivendi. Valve says there is no delay (that they are aware of, and well.. if anyone is aware of a delay it would be Valve), then there is no delay. Things are still on target for Sept 30th until/unless Valve says otherwise. This is of course assuming the email is legit. The bit about something like this coming down from Vivendi is a bit far fetched too given Valve's situation so what the hell. We'll have word here for you guys as soon as we hear from Valve.

Submitted by Major Clod on Thu, 31/07/03 - 12:15 PM Permalink

Well, If it is delayed it means I'll have more money to spend a new car. HL2 means upgrade time so the further away the cheaper everything will be! :P

Submitted by sho nuff on Thu, 31/07/03 - 10:42 PM Permalink

Cool,i was getting a bit worried there. But even if it does get released on time, is that a worldwide release? Im predicting it will b held back here until christmas if its not, simply because every title on the release date list at EB has been pushed back more than once, adding to about a 1-2 month delay. Which will end up getting released for the holiday season, hence my prediction of HL2's true release date in Australia, however this is all just mere speculation, and speculation is not fact, so if you wish to ignore my prediction on the HL2 release, then by all means. I will not be offended, im just making predictions. One other prediction id like to make while we are on such a topic, is that in the year 2000, the entire east coast will be flooded all the way back to the blue mountains. Such a flooding will be caused by the biggest tsunami recorded in history, and no one who lives on the east coast will live to tell the tale. Ah hem, r u still reading this? BWAHAHAH i laugh at yoo fools!

On a side note, that last prediction was what futurists and psychics around aussie had predicted some time in 99. They had this big show about it, surely some of you had seen it. Anyhow, seeing as it didn't happen, and probably wasn't going to, i predict that this show was used as scare tactics aimed towards Pauline Hanson to rethink her livelyhood within the country. Still reading arent you. heher.....

Submitted by Blitz on Fri, 01/08/03 - 9:27 AM Permalink

Hate to rain on your parade souri, but VU are publishing/distributing the game, therefore THEY decide when the game ships, not valve :)
I'd be surprised if they set the date back without telling valve though.
CYer, Blitz

Submitted by souri on Fri, 01/08/03 - 10:51 AM Permalink

'was just quoting from Shacknews..

Submitted by Blitz on Sun, 03/08/03 - 4:29 AM Permalink

Ahhh, my mistake. I wasn't sure where the quote ended :)
CYer, Blitz

Submitted by souri on Sun, 25/04/04 - 1:52 PM Permalink

(Oh noes, another old thread being replied to! I think it's better to continue old threads with similar topics and have more of a foundation for discussion, so that's what I'm going to do)

Anyway, there's more Half Life 2 shenanigans for your interest. I know most of you are pretty much beyond caring at this point, but I found it interesting. The guy who ran PlanetHalflife for oh so many years has given the job the boot, citing too much crap from Valve. Not one to silently disappear, he's left a goodbye message bringing up all the misleadings and crap Valve have given towards the September 30 release date and after. I'm sure this has ruffled a few feathers at Valve [:)] [url="http://www.forumplanet.com/planethalflife/topic.asp?fid=6549&tid=1352802"]His goodbye message here[/url].

Submitted by Kalescent on Sun, 25/04/04 - 8:30 PM Permalink

thats a good story [:)] no doubt like you say feathers have been ruffled, he probably doesnt exist anymore!!

Submitted by TheBigJ on Sun, 25/04/04 - 9:53 PM Permalink

"Lombardi told a co-worker of mine, to his face, that the game was still coming out September 30th worldwide. Some would call this marketing, but I'd call it lying."

I'm confused; Isn't that the same thing? :)

Submitted by Doord on Wed, 28/04/04 - 9:19 PM Permalink

Well with any luck the game will be pushed back until next year so that everyone has a few extra dollars to buy tribes and FFvTTR. :)

Submitted by shiva on Wed, 28/04/04 - 10:50 PM Permalink

if i saw hl2 and ff beside each other on the shelves, and i only had money to get one
id get ff
but thats just me i guess...

Submitted by Maitrek on Thu, 29/04/04 - 11:05 PM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by Souri
I know most of you are pretty much beyond caring at this point

Yep :) However, I'm surprised that Valve screwed up so bad with this, they actually managed to keep it quiet for so long so as not to heighten any anticipation, then they announced it, then delayed it just like everyone else! I predict we'll see Half Life 2 sometime next year (2005). I also predict that it won't be as groundbreaking by the time it comes out.

Submitted by souri on Thu, 29/04/04 - 11:11 PM Permalink

You know, the [url="http://www.half-life2.de/index.php?news=305"]latest screenshots[/url] have left me unimpressed already which I find worrying. I reckon they really missed the boat when it wasn't released on Sept 30 last year, with so many good titles coming soon now.

Submitted by Blitz on Fri, 30/04/04 - 12:19 AM Permalink

Anyone know if the source engine is available to be licensed (and been licensed) yet? iD have the right idea with Doom 3, they haven't completed the game, but the engine was completed quite some time agaon, and is already licensed out to several companies, so that Doom3 engine based games will still look fantastic when they come out (instead of being 2 years too late etc.)
If valve haven't started licensing the engine yet they could be really screwing up.
CYer, Blitz

Submitted by MoonUnit on Fri, 30/04/04 - 2:32 AM Permalink

This Half life situation is just getting worse and worse isnt it -_-
personally i was never interested, i bought HL1 on a whim and didnt enjoy it. But its gotta be doing some major damage to Valve, and that i dont like to see to happen to any developer. I reckon youve got the right idea blitz, and i cant say that ive heard of any licenses going out.

Submitted by shiva on Fri, 30/04/04 - 3:41 AM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by Blitz
If valve haven't started licensing the engine yet they could be really screwing up.

vampire the masquerade bloodlines (in dev at troika) is using the source engine

Submitted by smeg on Fri, 30/04/04 - 5:30 AM Permalink

I suspect that the game WILL look slightly dated (but good) and that yes, valve HAVE screwed up pretty badly. But these sins will be forgiven when (if) they release a great game.

I personally dont care much about the politics behind it (i love to hear about it of course, but thats different), so long as the end product is worth the money.

Wait and see i guess.
Cheers

Submitted by Maitrek on Fri, 30/04/04 - 9:39 PM Permalink

It would be nice if it was all about the end product, but it seems that gamers out there are fairly prepared to rip apart a company if they don't deliver on delayed promises. Just look at the recent history of leaks etc. The problem is, games get hyped well before they are even close to finished, whereas, for example, a movie gets hyped when it's in post production stages and there will always be certainty when it comes to marketing a release date.

Submitted by palantir on Fri, 30/04/04 - 10:42 PM Permalink

I don?t think movies have any more certainty about making a release date then games do. There are many major films that begin the marketing hype very early ? like in pre-production phase. I just watched the Alien 3 DVD documentary, and they started the advertising campaign before they even had a script ? so it became more about making a release date and less about making a movie (hence such a poor movie ? IMO). Lord of the Rings is also a great example of marketing a product well before it?s finished, though in that case they pulled it off.

I think this is the biggest problem with both games and movies ? pressure to ship on a certain date regardless of what state the product is in. I always think that in the end it?s good if a production gets held back, as it often means a better end product.

I personally would rather wait another 6 months or whatever, if it meant a better game in the end. So what if the company ?breaks their promise??

Submitted by Morphine on Wed, 05/05/04 - 12:33 AM Permalink

Best movie marketing so far: The Matrix.

Best of all, for Warner Bros, they hardly did any marketing. The catch cry did it for them, "What is the Matrix?". People flocked to the cinemas to see "What" it is. They loved it, told their friends, and the rest is history.

Posted by sho nuff on
Forum

This is from the ign site.

July 29, 2003 - Despite Gabe Newell's emphatic and constant claims at E3 2003 that the highly anticipated Half-Life sequel (we thinks it be Half-Life 2) would release on September 20th 2003 and exactly September 20th, VU Games spokespeople today said over the phone that the title would in fact not ship to retail until "Holiday 2003," which doesn't say a whole hell of a lot other than, "Not September 20th." Unless there's some kind of Washington state holiday we're not familiar with, or Christmas is starting way early this year, VU Games' date change seems like a safe bet to preemptively stave off a potential delay. Vaguely say it'll release "holiday 2003" and presto, you can't go wrong unless it comes out in 2004, which it certainly will not.
Purportedly, Gabe Newell himself has been visiting bulletin boards and responding to emails as he regularly does saying only that this was the first he's heard of the mysterious delay. Spooky. Unfortunately, no one from Valve was available for official comment at time of publish (we have the questions spreading across the wire, however).

Hopefully we'll learn the reason for the delay very, very soon. Regardless, Half-Life 2 still remains one of the most anticipated games of the holiday shopping season, especially now that it's scheduled to release during the holiday shopping season

Submitted by souri on Thu, 31/07/03 - 10:30 AM Permalink

This from Shacknews

A number of gaming sites out there are carrying word of an alleged Half-Life 2 delay according to some folks at Vivendi Universal who are publishing the title retail for Valve Software. However word doesnt seem to have traveled down to Valve according to an email pulled from the Steam forums. (We havent been able to directly confirm or deny with anyone at Valve yet) who might know a thing or two about that. timm of Shacknews comments fame already pointed out this Gabe Newell response:

First time I've heard about this.

So there you go, dont panic just yet as Valve Software decides when they ship, not Vivendi. Valve says there is no delay (that they are aware of, and well.. if anyone is aware of a delay it would be Valve), then there is no delay. Things are still on target for Sept 30th until/unless Valve says otherwise. This is of course assuming the email is legit. The bit about something like this coming down from Vivendi is a bit far fetched too given Valve's situation so what the hell. We'll have word here for you guys as soon as we hear from Valve.

Submitted by Major Clod on Thu, 31/07/03 - 12:15 PM Permalink

Well, If it is delayed it means I'll have more money to spend a new car. HL2 means upgrade time so the further away the cheaper everything will be! :P

Submitted by sho nuff on Thu, 31/07/03 - 10:42 PM Permalink

Cool,i was getting a bit worried there. But even if it does get released on time, is that a worldwide release? Im predicting it will b held back here until christmas if its not, simply because every title on the release date list at EB has been pushed back more than once, adding to about a 1-2 month delay. Which will end up getting released for the holiday season, hence my prediction of HL2's true release date in Australia, however this is all just mere speculation, and speculation is not fact, so if you wish to ignore my prediction on the HL2 release, then by all means. I will not be offended, im just making predictions. One other prediction id like to make while we are on such a topic, is that in the year 2000, the entire east coast will be flooded all the way back to the blue mountains. Such a flooding will be caused by the biggest tsunami recorded in history, and no one who lives on the east coast will live to tell the tale. Ah hem, r u still reading this? BWAHAHAH i laugh at yoo fools!

On a side note, that last prediction was what futurists and psychics around aussie had predicted some time in 99. They had this big show about it, surely some of you had seen it. Anyhow, seeing as it didn't happen, and probably wasn't going to, i predict that this show was used as scare tactics aimed towards Pauline Hanson to rethink her livelyhood within the country. Still reading arent you. heher.....

Submitted by Blitz on Fri, 01/08/03 - 9:27 AM Permalink

Hate to rain on your parade souri, but VU are publishing/distributing the game, therefore THEY decide when the game ships, not valve :)
I'd be surprised if they set the date back without telling valve though.
CYer, Blitz

Submitted by souri on Fri, 01/08/03 - 10:51 AM Permalink

'was just quoting from Shacknews..

Submitted by Blitz on Sun, 03/08/03 - 4:29 AM Permalink

Ahhh, my mistake. I wasn't sure where the quote ended :)
CYer, Blitz

Submitted by souri on Sun, 25/04/04 - 1:52 PM Permalink

(Oh noes, another old thread being replied to! I think it's better to continue old threads with similar topics and have more of a foundation for discussion, so that's what I'm going to do)

Anyway, there's more Half Life 2 shenanigans for your interest. I know most of you are pretty much beyond caring at this point, but I found it interesting. The guy who ran PlanetHalflife for oh so many years has given the job the boot, citing too much crap from Valve. Not one to silently disappear, he's left a goodbye message bringing up all the misleadings and crap Valve have given towards the September 30 release date and after. I'm sure this has ruffled a few feathers at Valve [:)] [url="http://www.forumplanet.com/planethalflife/topic.asp?fid=6549&tid=1352802"]His goodbye message here[/url].

Submitted by Kalescent on Sun, 25/04/04 - 8:30 PM Permalink

thats a good story [:)] no doubt like you say feathers have been ruffled, he probably doesnt exist anymore!!

Submitted by TheBigJ on Sun, 25/04/04 - 9:53 PM Permalink

"Lombardi told a co-worker of mine, to his face, that the game was still coming out September 30th worldwide. Some would call this marketing, but I'd call it lying."

I'm confused; Isn't that the same thing? :)

Submitted by Doord on Wed, 28/04/04 - 9:19 PM Permalink

Well with any luck the game will be pushed back until next year so that everyone has a few extra dollars to buy tribes and FFvTTR. :)

Submitted by shiva on Wed, 28/04/04 - 10:50 PM Permalink

if i saw hl2 and ff beside each other on the shelves, and i only had money to get one
id get ff
but thats just me i guess...

Submitted by Maitrek on Thu, 29/04/04 - 11:05 PM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by Souri
I know most of you are pretty much beyond caring at this point

Yep :) However, I'm surprised that Valve screwed up so bad with this, they actually managed to keep it quiet for so long so as not to heighten any anticipation, then they announced it, then delayed it just like everyone else! I predict we'll see Half Life 2 sometime next year (2005). I also predict that it won't be as groundbreaking by the time it comes out.

Submitted by souri on Thu, 29/04/04 - 11:11 PM Permalink

You know, the [url="http://www.half-life2.de/index.php?news=305"]latest screenshots[/url] have left me unimpressed already which I find worrying. I reckon they really missed the boat when it wasn't released on Sept 30 last year, with so many good titles coming soon now.

Submitted by Blitz on Fri, 30/04/04 - 12:19 AM Permalink

Anyone know if the source engine is available to be licensed (and been licensed) yet? iD have the right idea with Doom 3, they haven't completed the game, but the engine was completed quite some time agaon, and is already licensed out to several companies, so that Doom3 engine based games will still look fantastic when they come out (instead of being 2 years too late etc.)
CYer, Blitz

Submitted by MoonUnit on Fri, 30/04/04 - 2:32 AM Permalink

This Half life situation is just getting worse and worse isnt it -_-
personally i was never interested, i bought HL1 on a whim and didnt enjoy it. But its gotta be doing some major damage to Valve, and that i dont like to see to happen to any developer. I reckon youve got the right idea blitz, and i cant say that ive heard of any licenses going out.

Submitted by shiva on Fri, 30/04/04 - 3:41 AM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by Blitz

vampire the masquerade bloodlines (in dev at troika) is using the source engine

Submitted by smeg on Fri, 30/04/04 - 5:30 AM Permalink

I suspect that the game WILL look slightly dated (but good) and that yes, valve HAVE screwed up pretty badly. But these sins will be forgiven when (if) they release a great game.

I personally dont care much about the politics behind it (i love to hear about it of course, but thats different), so long as the end product is worth the money.

Wait and see i guess.
Cheers

Submitted by Maitrek on Fri, 30/04/04 - 9:39 PM Permalink

It would be nice if it was all about the end product, but it seems that gamers out there are fairly prepared to rip apart a company if they don't deliver on delayed promises. Just look at the recent history of leaks etc. The problem is, games get hyped well before they are even close to finished, whereas, for example, a movie gets hyped when it's in post production stages and there will always be certainty when it comes to marketing a release date.

Submitted by palantir on Fri, 30/04/04 - 10:42 PM Permalink

I don?t think movies have any more certainty about making a release date then games do. There are many major films that begin the marketing hype very early ? like in pre-production phase. I just watched the Alien 3 DVD documentary, and they started the advertising campaign before they even had a script ? so it became more about making a release date and less about making a movie (hence such a poor movie ? IMO). Lord of the Rings is also a great example of marketing a product well before it?s finished, though in that case they pulled it off.

I think this is the biggest problem with both games and movies ? pressure to ship on a certain date regardless of what state the product is in. I always think that in the end it?s good if a production gets held back, as it often means a better end product.

I personally would rather wait another 6 months or whatever, if it meant a better game in the end. So what if the company ?breaks their promise??

Submitted by Morphine on Wed, 05/05/04 - 12:33 AM Permalink

Best movie marketing so far: The Matrix.

Best of all, for Warner Bros, they hardly did any marketing. The catch cry did it for them, "What is the Matrix?". People flocked to the cinemas to see "What" it is. They loved it, told their friends, and the rest is history.