Skip to main content

hands of war (big)

Submitted by Alti on

New photoshop tecnique i've been trying out.
I put some close ups for the hands too.

[img]http://members.optusnet.com.au/alti2/v11.jpg[/img]

[img]http://members.optusnet.com.au/alti2/v11hands.jpg[/img]

hope you like the new stuff i'm trying out.
any thoughts would be appreciated

-alti

Submitted by LiveWire on Fri, 30/12/05 - 9:10 PM Permalink

whatever it is you're doing it looks great. i really like the head/neck on the last one

Submitted by J I Styles on Sat, 31/12/05 - 1:47 AM Permalink

Alright Mr. Alex, I want to give you a good crit over on these since to be honest, I'm quite impressed - this is got to be one of the single largest steps I've seen you make in terms of personal development [:)] - great job.

Visually, it reminds me of sparths splatter paint style and technique, but it's very much unique and you - besides the obvious, the two other main things I see really being pushed here are popping the forms with high range highlights, and hinting at perceptual forms.

The cave dweller is portraying the forms a lot crisper and easier to read because of the reflecting light (popping the form with highlights) -- something from classical painting studies, Leonardo if I remember right - "a subject study tells us much more about themselves if their environment is taken into consideration even more than the subject itself"; in other words, pay at least as much attention to the environment around the thing you're painting as well as the subject itself. Light reflects and refracts, colours bleed and are absorbed etc - visually showing how the subject is affected by the outside elements more clearly defines what you're trying to communicate in the piece. Wow, that was a bit of a rant... 'scuse me [:D]

The hands of war piece demonstrates the importance of the opposite of what I've just talked about -- in essence, not showing stuff. Painting something that you know is there is all well and good, but if you couldn't actually see it, then it shouldn't be painted. stuff like detail in shadows (where the eye is letting too much light in to see any shape or form in shadow), or stuff that's simply obscured by view (that age old problem of wanting to show everything, yet knowing that the other side is obscured) - There's parts that strongly demonstrate this in both pieces, so I think you've done quite a good job.

Keep it up! And sorry for the ranting [;)]

Submitted by Alti on Sat, 31/12/05 - 5:10 AM Permalink

thanks alot styles, thats actualy one of my fave Leonardoisms, lately i've just been influenced by so many good artists and i've just had alot of free time to home in on a style that suits me.
and yes you picked it, sparth's artwork and style has massively infulenced me in finding my own.
I dont want to rip anybody off, but i think combining alot of different recognisable influences will help me along the way.

my goal over the next few months or so is to beef up my illustration and concept portfolio so i can get a propper foothold into a company.- i'm also working on speeding up my processes, atm one of these images takes about 2.5 hours, i want to get a good sketch hapening in about 10mins and get to a level where i can have something reasonable within 1 hour.

thanks for the words and thoughts its appreciated.

-alti (still looking for work)

Submitted by MoonUnit on Mon, 02/01/06 - 12:52 AM Permalink

I agree with J.I. this is the biggest development ive seen in your work. These are looking great, a lot more clear and defined without losing the splatter and grunge charm of your style. Keep it up :)

Posted by Alti on

New photoshop tecnique i've been trying out.
I put some close ups for the hands too.

[img]http://members.optusnet.com.au/alti2/v11.jpg[/img]

[img]http://members.optusnet.com.au/alti2/v11hands.jpg[/img]

hope you like the new stuff i'm trying out.
any thoughts would be appreciated

-alti

Submitted by LiveWire on Fri, 30/12/05 - 9:10 PM Permalink

whatever it is you're doing it looks great. i really like the head/neck on the last one

Submitted by J I Styles on Sat, 31/12/05 - 1:47 AM Permalink

Alright Mr. Alex, I want to give you a good crit over on these since to be honest, I'm quite impressed - this is got to be one of the single largest steps I've seen you make in terms of personal development [:)] - great job.

Visually, it reminds me of sparths splatter paint style and technique, but it's very much unique and you - besides the obvious, the two other main things I see really being pushed here are popping the forms with high range highlights, and hinting at perceptual forms.

The cave dweller is portraying the forms a lot crisper and easier to read because of the reflecting light (popping the form with highlights) -- something from classical painting studies, Leonardo if I remember right - "a subject study tells us much more about themselves if their environment is taken into consideration even more than the subject itself"; in other words, pay at least as much attention to the environment around the thing you're painting as well as the subject itself. Light reflects and refracts, colours bleed and are absorbed etc - visually showing how the subject is affected by the outside elements more clearly defines what you're trying to communicate in the piece. Wow, that was a bit of a rant... 'scuse me [:D]

The hands of war piece demonstrates the importance of the opposite of what I've just talked about -- in essence, not showing stuff. Painting something that you know is there is all well and good, but if you couldn't actually see it, then it shouldn't be painted. stuff like detail in shadows (where the eye is letting too much light in to see any shape or form in shadow), or stuff that's simply obscured by view (that age old problem of wanting to show everything, yet knowing that the other side is obscured) - There's parts that strongly demonstrate this in both pieces, so I think you've done quite a good job.

Keep it up! And sorry for the ranting [;)]

Submitted by Alti on Sat, 31/12/05 - 5:10 AM Permalink

thanks alot styles, thats actualy one of my fave Leonardoisms, lately i've just been influenced by so many good artists and i've just had alot of free time to home in on a style that suits me.
and yes you picked it, sparth's artwork and style has massively infulenced me in finding my own.
I dont want to rip anybody off, but i think combining alot of different recognisable influences will help me along the way.

my goal over the next few months or so is to beef up my illustration and concept portfolio so i can get a propper foothold into a company.- i'm also working on speeding up my processes, atm one of these images takes about 2.5 hours, i want to get a good sketch hapening in about 10mins and get to a level where i can have something reasonable within 1 hour.

thanks for the words and thoughts its appreciated.

-alti (still looking for work)

Submitted by MoonUnit on Mon, 02/01/06 - 12:52 AM Permalink

I agree with J.I. this is the biggest development ive seen in your work. These are looking great, a lot more clear and defined without losing the splatter and grunge charm of your style. Keep it up :)