Skip to main content

MTV in the gaming industry

Submitted by skunx on
Forum

June 27, 2005 - You may remember when the music video channel (which it once was) started to make movies (Election, Pootie Tang). Now, MTV is taking a similar step into world of video games. The company announced Monday the creation of MTV Games, an organization for developing, publishing, marketing, and incubating original game properties.

MTV Games will work both with in-house titles as well as in partnership with established players and up-and-coming studios. The company hopes to create and nourish games which fit its hip young audience.

"In 1996 we launched MTV Films with the hopes of discovering some risky and bold stories to tell. Nine years later, I'm ecstatic about what we have accomplished, and today we launch MTV Games with a similar objective -- incubating breakthrough gaming concepts that embrace creative risk-taking, and push the boundaries of interactive entertainment," said Van Toffler, President, MTV Networks Music/Logo/Films Group.

As part of MTV's gaming gambit, the company has partnered with Midway Games to provide in-game advertising, soundtracks, and promotion for at least three upcoming titles -- beginning with L.A. Rush, which include design from MTV's "Pimp My Ride" crew.

MTV isn't announcing any original titles yet, but we expect to hear more from the new Games group soon. Keep your eager minds here.

http://ds.ign.com/articles/629/629334p1.html?

So what do you think good or bad?
I think bad cause we are gonna get bombarded by mtv ads, mtv crappy games that will be million sellers (i can see the jackass game coming from a mile a way).
On the other hand it might be good for bringing a bigger audience to gaming and thus, more money.

opinions?

Submitted by Anuxinamoon on Wed, 29/06/05 - 2:02 PM Permalink

My ignorance leads me to belive that all the stuff that I have seen MTV make (be it those stupid shows on the mtv channel and the movies they have realeased) hold no real artistic and creative flare. So am I now to belive that the games they will be putting out be sub-standard aswell?

I suppose I'm just not an MTV fan. So this is a pretty biased opinion from me. [:p]

Submitted by Pantmonger on Wed, 29/06/05 - 7:00 PM Permalink

quote:be it those stupid shows on the mtv channel

MTV put on air "The Maxx" and for that alone I love them. :)

Pantmonger

Submitted by MoonUnit on Wed, 29/06/05 - 10:04 PM Permalink

Incidently has anyone seen Pootie Tang? Holy shit that movie is hilarious for simply being so bloody awfull, me and a friend were laughing about that one for months. If we get that kind of thing turned out in game form, heaven help us all :|

Submitted by J I Styles on Thu, 30/06/05 - 6:51 AM Permalink

The Maxx. Score one.
Volcano High. Score two.

The rest, I can ignore in blissful ignorance [:)]

Submitted by souri on Thu, 30/06/05 - 8:42 AM Permalink

They also gave us Aeon Flux, another cool animation from Liquid television. But if the Xbox debut/Punk'd show and target audience of MTV is of any indication, we'll be getting flashy, loud extreme sports games that require little of your attention span and contain and overuse phrases like "wicked sick" [:D] Anyway, I think MTV Games would be a perfect match for the Xbox 360.

Submitted by LiveWire on Thu, 07/07/05 - 9:43 PM Permalink

from gamasutra:

"MTV Games, the video game development division of MTV, has teamed up with Myelin Media to create an MTV-branded strategic alliance deal involving the poker title for PlayStation 2, Xbox, PlayStation Portable, and PC, Stacked with Daniel Negreanu. "This unparalleled alliance for Myelin Media?s Stacked with Daniel Negreanu represents a complete evolution in the world of poker and represents another exciting addition to the MTV Games family,? said Jeff Yapp of MTV Networks Music."

awsome! i'm so excited about this game. i mean, it's "a complete evolution in the world of poker", what more could you want!

hmm, hardly and 'exciting addition' if you ask me...

Submitted by MoonUnit on Fri, 08/07/05 - 10:40 PM Permalink

Wow... MTV comes out guns blazing to make poker? now theres an anti climax

Submitted by rezn0r on Sat, 09/07/05 - 1:13 AM Permalink

What are you talking about? World Poker kicks ass!

Scott.

Posted by skunx on
Forum

June 27, 2005 - You may remember when the music video channel (which it once was) started to make movies (Election, Pootie Tang). Now, MTV is taking a similar step into world of video games. The company announced Monday the creation of MTV Games, an organization for developing, publishing, marketing, and incubating original game properties.

MTV Games will work both with in-house titles as well as in partnership with established players and up-and-coming studios. The company hopes to create and nourish games which fit its hip young audience.

"In 1996 we launched MTV Films with the hopes of discovering some risky and bold stories to tell. Nine years later, I'm ecstatic about what we have accomplished, and today we launch MTV Games with a similar objective -- incubating breakthrough gaming concepts that embrace creative risk-taking, and push the boundaries of interactive entertainment," said Van Toffler, President, MTV Networks Music/Logo/Films Group.

As part of MTV's gaming gambit, the company has partnered with Midway Games to provide in-game advertising, soundtracks, and promotion for at least three upcoming titles -- beginning with L.A. Rush, which include design from MTV's "Pimp My Ride" crew.

MTV isn't announcing any original titles yet, but we expect to hear more from the new Games group soon. Keep your eager minds here.

http://ds.ign.com/articles/629/629334p1.html?

So what do you think good or bad?
I think bad cause we are gonna get bombarded by mtv ads, mtv crappy games that will be million sellers (i can see the jackass game coming from a mile a way).
On the other hand it might be good for bringing a bigger audience to gaming and thus, more money.

opinions?

Submitted by Anuxinamoon on Wed, 29/06/05 - 2:02 PM Permalink

My ignorance leads me to belive that all the stuff that I have seen MTV make (be it those stupid shows on the mtv channel and the movies they have realeased) hold no real artistic and creative flare. So am I now to belive that the games they will be putting out be sub-standard aswell?

I suppose I'm just not an MTV fan. So this is a pretty biased opinion from me. [:p]

Submitted by Pantmonger on Wed, 29/06/05 - 7:00 PM Permalink

quote:be it those stupid shows on the mtv channel

MTV put on air "The Maxx" and for that alone I love them. :)

Pantmonger

Submitted by MoonUnit on Wed, 29/06/05 - 10:04 PM Permalink

Incidently has anyone seen Pootie Tang? Holy shit that movie is hilarious for simply being so bloody awfull, me and a friend were laughing about that one for months. If we get that kind of thing turned out in game form, heaven help us all :|

Submitted by J I Styles on Thu, 30/06/05 - 6:51 AM Permalink

The Maxx. Score one.
Volcano High. Score two.

The rest, I can ignore in blissful ignorance [:)]

Submitted by souri on Thu, 30/06/05 - 8:42 AM Permalink

They also gave us Aeon Flux, another cool animation from Liquid television. But if the Xbox debut/Punk'd show and target audience of MTV is of any indication, we'll be getting flashy, loud extreme sports games that require little of your attention span and contain and overuse phrases like "wicked sick" [:D] Anyway, I think MTV Games would be a perfect match for the Xbox 360.

Submitted by LiveWire on Thu, 07/07/05 - 9:43 PM Permalink

from gamasutra:

"MTV Games, the video game development division of MTV, has teamed up with Myelin Media to create an MTV-branded strategic alliance deal involving the poker title for PlayStation 2, Xbox, PlayStation Portable, and PC, Stacked with Daniel Negreanu. "This unparalleled alliance for Myelin Media?s Stacked with Daniel Negreanu represents a complete evolution in the world of poker and represents another exciting addition to the MTV Games family,? said Jeff Yapp of MTV Networks Music."

awsome! i'm so excited about this game. i mean, it's "a complete evolution in the world of poker", what more could you want!

hmm, hardly and 'exciting addition' if you ask me...

Submitted by MoonUnit on Fri, 08/07/05 - 10:40 PM Permalink

Wow... MTV comes out guns blazing to make poker? now theres an anti climax

Submitted by rezn0r on Sat, 09/07/05 - 1:13 AM Permalink

What are you talking about? World Poker kicks ass!

Scott.