Skip to main content

Google Earth

• In my first and previous post in this game dev log entry, I had written that I wanted to do a game which was a collection of simple retro games. Unity released a new major release (2019.3) while I was putting the initial project together, and I…

• Well, I'm making a game . I'm spending the next few weeks on making a small game to showcase the gamedev log feature on tsumea where any member can create a game entry and other members can post journal posts with art, music or just development…

• Just a test #2. Still working on the new section.

• So, I got a Commodore 64 when I was in the 4th grade. It came bundled with a Rolf Harris picture building program on casette tape which never loaded properly but from what I could tell by its box cover, you could build pictures from a selection…

• Yes, the site looks very different and I've had to prematurely switch to this new theme that I'm working on for a few reasons, the main one is that changing certain aspects of the site to fit the new theme will affect how the old one looks for…

• (this is just a test, please ignore this entry)

Here is some of my old work.. the first pic is of a 3d model of a human head I was working on about 2 years ago in 3dsmax, using nurbs. If I had to do it again, I wouldn't model a head with…

I currently work for

Submitted by souri on
Forum

Has anyone checked out Google Earth? How incredible is this?! Download the program and have a try. http://earth.google.com/

Basically, it's Google maps wrapped in a nice interface. You can zoom in/rotate the view, and the best part is that you can select to show what locations of restaurants, railway stations etc. There's a list of user supplied and community suggested locations, so sooner or later, this is going to be filled up with tonbes of places. You can also type in a location in the location bar and it'll fly there. I'd imagine businesses will have an interest in putting their location on here once this program gets more widely used.

Anyway, I can play with this all day. I've bookmarked where I live, friends places, and other places I go to.

Browny points for anyone who can find the Australian Centre for the Moving Image (Flinders St, Melbourne) on Google maps and post the link. [:D]

Submitted by Anuxinamoon on Wed, 29/06/05 - 2:05 PM Permalink

quote: Anyway, I can play with this all day.

Hahah Souri. You have too much time on your hands! Very cute. [:D]

I can see this growing fast! I'll probably be using this heaps along with whereis.com. Fun!

Submitted by mcdrewski on Wed, 29/06/05 - 11:52 PM Permalink

"ACMI" lat=-37.8175380981, lon=144.969143987

...or thereabouts. :)

Submitted by rezn0r on Thu, 30/06/05 - 3:13 AM Permalink

This is awesome stuff.

I want a watch that can do this!

Scott.

Submitted by souri on Thu, 30/06/05 - 8:52 AM Permalink

I wouldn't be surprised if that becomes a reality in a few years. [;)] There's a GPS option blanked out in the menus and selecting it alerts you that it's in the subscribed version of Google Earth. I wonder if they're planning to get street names implemented sometime. That would pretty much make it the ultimate map service.

Mcdrewski, there's a "link to this page" that you can copy or bookmark on there. [;)]

Oh, btw.. [url="http://img238.echo.cx/my.php?image=lollergoogle8fi.jpg"]--> <--[/url]

Submitted by AntsZ on Thu, 30/06/05 - 7:37 PM Permalink

This program is brilliant, I love it. I wonder how long till they get clearer pictures of different areas. the grand canyon was cool all in 3D, found a lot of famous land marks. I could sit on this for hours

Submitted by MoonUnit on Thu, 30/06/05 - 9:00 PM Permalink

its neat but without australian street names... finding anything but the city center is a little hard for me :P

Submitted by Rensa on Wed, 06/07/05 - 12:42 AM Permalink

Heeey, looks good. I've tried the NASA WorldWind program (saw it in the Green Guide), but the resolution at a street level was a little disappointing. I'll be sure to give this a go, too :D

Submitted by J I Styles on Wed, 06/07/05 - 1:24 AM Permalink

"area 51" was interesting to find. Big shiny thing in the middle of nevada desert with a few airfield strips and quite a few enclosed hangar/building combos [:)]

Submitted by Kalescent on Wed, 06/07/05 - 1:46 AM Permalink

Joel you Delver-of-secretive-things! That was one of the first searches I did too haha! [:D]

Submitted by souri on Wed, 13/07/05 - 1:03 PM Permalink

You know what would be pretty cool? If we had a list of co-ordinates for all the developer companies and places of interest related to game development/conferences in Australia. Make some fancy page for it 'n stuff. [:0]

Oh, and next time you're on Google Earth, check out the Grand Canyon. It's in accurate 3D [:0]

Submitted by mcdrewski on Wed, 13/07/05 - 7:01 PM Permalink

I'm not sure that a lot of companies want their physical locations diclosed - after all, many of them use PO Boxes etc for exactly that reason.

Submitted by adie on Thu, 14/07/05 - 9:12 AM Permalink

yeah i saw this a few weeks ago.. is so mutch fun if only i had fast connection it would be even better.. my frend was showing me some evil pentagram thing in area 51 that looks bad..realy bad..like somthing out of doom

Submitted by Mick1460 on Thu, 14/07/05 - 5:59 PM Permalink

Geez thats cool.

That would be great for teaching geography I would imagine since the interactive nature is simple.

Mick Gordon
Lead Audio Engineer
Lava Injection Studios
www.lavainjection.com

Submitted by mcdrewski on Thu, 14/07/05 - 6:38 PM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by adie

my frend was showing me some evil pentagram thing in area 51 that looks bad..realy bad..like somthing out of doom

and

the evil hexagram ...oww ots freaking me out just looking at it

Evil pentagram or Children-of-Israel Hexagram, take yer pick. Looks more to me like a radar/radio telescope emplacement, but maybe that's just the mind control rays again.

Submitted by lorien on Thu, 14/07/05 - 11:21 PM Permalink

Grumble... Google run just about entirely on GNU/Linux and they release windoze-only software [:(] Looks neat, but I can't be bothered rebooting.

Submitted by MoonUnit on Fri, 15/07/05 - 5:07 AM Permalink

whats buggin me is when i zoom in on some areas and typically itll sharpen things as i zoom in which is good but on the odd occasion it just dosent, and it assure me its loaded 100%. grrrrr
EDIT: shoulda realised that they wouldnt have high resolution for everywhere in the world, that 100% loading is correct. But theres not even high resolution for the whole of the melbourne CBD!

oh and
quote:Originally posted by mcdrewski

I'm not sure that a lot of companies want their physical locations diclosed - after all, many of them use PO Boxes etc for exactly that reason.

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/MoonUnit/20057145852_midway.jpg[…]
seems some dont get a choice

Submitted by Malus on Sat, 16/07/05 - 4:43 AM Permalink

quote:Hazard: Joel you Delver-of-secretive-things! That was one of the first searches I did too haha!

Really? I was sitting here covered in mayonnaise, stalking you Troy....hehe.......errr........... :|

Submitted by Kalescent on Sat, 16/07/05 - 7:00 AM Permalink

LOL - you bugged our place, thats what all those extra tiny black holes are in the walls here.... cameras!
I always knew you where some kind of secret operative [:O]

Submitted by MarkMash on Sun, 17/07/05 - 5:54 AM Permalink

If you want to perve on Area 51, this site has all the binoculars, trench coats and moustach glasses you need for a good look.

http://www.dreamlandresort.com/

My friend said he foudn nurburgring... gonna go see if i can find it. It's in germany somewhere :P

Submitted by mcdrewski on Tue, 19/07/05 - 10:21 PM Permalink

Despite my earlier reservations, I realised that anyone in the white pages would have their address mapped anyway.

So, I took the sumea 'developers' list, and looked up the businesses in the white pages online. Anyone who's not easily found in the white pages (Kalescent, Team Bondi, many others) are not in here. I have kept the locations the same as the white pages gives me, even where it highlights the street only, and even where I personally know better and could pinpoint the office door exactly if I wanted.

PM or email me if you want to be added, removed, or details modified. I'll only feel happy adding MORE details about a company where someone from that company emails me :)

Oh, and anyone who wants to make icons for all the companies can feel free to send 'em through also.

[url]http://www.meeze.com/dpm/AusGameIndustry.kml[/url]
(also works great if you create a 'new network link' to this URL - then you'll magically get any corrections I make!)

PS: I mainly did this to prove that Brisbane is the epicentre of Australian gamedev :)

edit: changed to .kml file so it can be added as a network link.

Posted by souri on
Forum

Has anyone checked out Google Earth? How incredible is this?! Download the program and have a try. http://earth.google.com/

Basically, it's Google maps wrapped in a nice interface. You can zoom in/rotate the view, and the best part is that you can select to show what locations of restaurants, railway stations etc. There's a list of user supplied and community suggested locations, so sooner or later, this is going to be filled up with tonbes of places. You can also type in a location in the location bar and it'll fly there. I'd imagine businesses will have an interest in putting their location on here once this program gets more widely used.

Anyway, I can play with this all day. I've bookmarked where I live, friends places, and other places I go to.

Browny points for anyone who can find the Australian Centre for the Moving Image (Flinders St, Melbourne) on Google maps and post the link. [:D]

Submitted by Anuxinamoon on Wed, 29/06/05 - 2:05 PM Permalink

quote: Anyway, I can play with this all day.

Hahah Souri. You have too much time on your hands! Very cute. [:D]

I can see this growing fast! I'll probably be using this heaps along with whereis.com. Fun!

Submitted by mcdrewski on Wed, 29/06/05 - 11:52 PM Permalink

"ACMI" lat=-37.8175380981, lon=144.969143987

...or thereabouts. :)

Submitted by rezn0r on Thu, 30/06/05 - 3:13 AM Permalink

This is awesome stuff.

I want a watch that can do this!

Scott.

Submitted by souri on Thu, 30/06/05 - 8:52 AM Permalink

I wouldn't be surprised if that becomes a reality in a few years. [;)] There's a GPS option blanked out in the menus and selecting it alerts you that it's in the subscribed version of Google Earth. I wonder if they're planning to get street names implemented sometime. That would pretty much make it the ultimate map service.

Mcdrewski, there's a "link to this page" that you can copy or bookmark on there. [;)]

Oh, btw.. [url="http://img238.echo.cx/my.php?image=lollergoogle8fi.jpg"]--> <--[/url]

Submitted by AntsZ on Thu, 30/06/05 - 7:37 PM Permalink

This program is brilliant, I love it. I wonder how long till they get clearer pictures of different areas. the grand canyon was cool all in 3D, found a lot of famous land marks. I could sit on this for hours

Submitted by MoonUnit on Thu, 30/06/05 - 9:00 PM Permalink

its neat but without australian street names... finding anything but the city center is a little hard for me :P

Submitted by Rensa on Wed, 06/07/05 - 12:42 AM Permalink

Heeey, looks good. I've tried the NASA WorldWind program (saw it in the Green Guide), but the resolution at a street level was a little disappointing. I'll be sure to give this a go, too :D

Submitted by J I Styles on Wed, 06/07/05 - 1:24 AM Permalink

"area 51" was interesting to find. Big shiny thing in the middle of nevada desert with a few airfield strips and quite a few enclosed hangar/building combos [:)]

Submitted by Kalescent on Wed, 06/07/05 - 1:46 AM Permalink

Joel you Delver-of-secretive-things! That was one of the first searches I did too haha! [:D]

Submitted by souri on Wed, 13/07/05 - 1:03 PM Permalink

You know what would be pretty cool? If we had a list of co-ordinates for all the developer companies and places of interest related to game development/conferences in Australia. Make some fancy page for it 'n stuff. [:0]

Oh, and next time you're on Google Earth, check out the Grand Canyon. It's in accurate 3D [:0]

Submitted by mcdrewski on Wed, 13/07/05 - 7:01 PM Permalink

Submitted by adie on Thu, 14/07/05 - 9:12 AM Permalink

yeah i saw this a few weeks ago.. is so mutch fun if only i had fast connection it would be even better.. my frend was showing me some evil pentagram thing in area 51 that looks bad..realy bad..like somthing out of doom

Submitted by Mick1460 on Thu, 14/07/05 - 5:59 PM Permalink

Geez thats cool.

That would be great for teaching geography I would imagine since the interactive nature is simple.

Mick Gordon
Lead Audio Engineer
Lava Injection Studios
www.lavainjection.com

Submitted by mcdrewski on Thu, 14/07/05 - 6:38 PM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by adie

my frend was showing me some evil pentagram thing in area 51 that looks bad..realy bad..like somthing out of doom

and

the evil hexagram ...oww ots freaking me out just looking at it

Evil pentagram or Children-of-Israel Hexagram, take yer pick. Looks more to me like a radar/radio telescope emplacement, but maybe that's just the mind control rays again.

Submitted by lorien on Thu, 14/07/05 - 11:21 PM Permalink

Grumble... Google run just about entirely on GNU/Linux and they release windoze-only software [:(] Looks neat, but I can't be bothered rebooting.

Submitted by MoonUnit on Fri, 15/07/05 - 5:07 AM Permalink

whats buggin me is when i zoom in on some areas and typically itll sharpen things as i zoom in which is good but on the odd occasion it just dosent, and it assure me its loaded 100%. grrrrr
EDIT: shoulda realised that they wouldnt have high resolution for everywhere in the world, that 100% loading is correct. But theres not even high resolution for the whole of the melbourne CBD!

oh and
quote:Originally posted by mcdrewski

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/MoonUnit/20057145852_midway.jpg[…]
seems some dont get a choice

Submitted by Malus on Sat, 16/07/05 - 4:43 AM Permalink

quote:Hazard: Joel you Delver-of-secretive-things! That was one of the first searches I did too haha!

Really? I was sitting here covered in mayonnaise, stalking you Troy....hehe.......errr........... :|

Submitted by Kalescent on Sat, 16/07/05 - 7:00 AM Permalink

LOL - you bugged our place, thats what all those extra tiny black holes are in the walls here.... cameras!
I always knew you where some kind of secret operative [:O]

Submitted by MarkMash on Sun, 17/07/05 - 5:54 AM Permalink

If you want to perve on Area 51, this site has all the binoculars, trench coats and moustach glasses you need for a good look.

http://www.dreamlandresort.com/

My friend said he foudn nurburgring... gonna go see if i can find it. It's in germany somewhere :P

Submitted by mcdrewski on Tue, 19/07/05 - 10:21 PM Permalink

Despite my earlier reservations, I realised that anyone in the white pages would have their address mapped anyway.

So, I took the sumea 'developers' list, and looked up the businesses in the white pages online. Anyone who's not easily found in the white pages (Kalescent, Team Bondi, many others) are not in here. I have kept the locations the same as the white pages gives me, even where it highlights the street only, and even where I personally know better and could pinpoint the office door exactly if I wanted.

PM or email me if you want to be added, removed, or details modified. I'll only feel happy adding MORE details about a company where someone from that company emails me :)

Oh, and anyone who wants to make icons for all the companies can feel free to send 'em through also.

[url]http://www.meeze.com/dpm/AusGameIndustry.kml[/url]
(also works great if you create a 'new network link' to this URL - then you'll magically get any corrections I make!)

PS: I mainly did this to prove that Brisbane is the epicentre of Australian gamedev :)

edit: changed to .kml file so it can be added as a network link.