Skip to main content

LOTR 3 tickets on sale in Oz - *** SPOILERS ***

Forum

I'm sure I'm not the only sumean eagerly awaiting boxing day, so thought this community service announcement would be appreciated [;)]

It appears the LOTR 3 tickets went on sale in the last 24 hrs or so (at village cinemas in Melbourne anyway), so go get those tickets [:D]

Cheers,

Mark/CW

Submitted by Aven on Fri, 28/11/03 - 7:55 AM Permalink

I'm really hoping that Hoyts also do the trilogy screenings. 9hrs straight of LoTR (drool).

Submitted by Kane on Fri, 28/11/03 - 9:58 AM Permalink

i have had the LOTR books for about 6 years now and still havent read all of them!

i am about to starty readin ROTK, so hopefully i will have it finished before boxing day (yeh, sure...)

from what my insanely-tolkien-addicted brother has told me (about a milliont time mind you) is that the last book is the best, and the movie should be too...

also, on Austar (Tassies version of Foxtel) i heard that all the Saruman scenes from ROTK are being cut to keep the movie to a 3 hour limit!!!!!!!!!!

im unsure about that, but if its true, oh the horror!

Submitted by Kane on Fri, 28/11/03 - 10:01 AM Permalink

to Souri...

i highly recommend reading the books, you'll be amazingly surprised how much has been taken out of them for the movie... Tom Bombadil for example...

if you want to know the full story, buy War of the Ring as well, it is all the stuff you dont see in the movie...

Submitted by JonathanKerr on Fri, 28/11/03 - 1:04 PM Permalink

Bombadil sucks. Insert smiley here.

The premiere parade is two blocks from my house. On the main street are massive statues attached to buildings of things like Nazguls and riders. Tres cool.

Submitted by Sorceror Bob on Fri, 28/11/03 - 1:52 PM Permalink

Jonathan: You so have to go throw carrion at Elija wood.(sp?).. That bastard turned frodo into a frothing pansy!!

I recently bought the Two Towers special edition DVD.. It's got like 40m of extra footage.. All nicely inserted into the film too :D Brings it up to 220 minutes I think. Over 3 and half hours of nerd love.. Crikey..

Anyhow, I haven't watched it yet, gotta wait till christmas.. It's a present for dad.. I'm looking forward to the making of gollum, and why peter jackson felt the need to add stuff to the books (aragons fall and the elves at helm deep)

Submitted by Kane on Sat, 29/11/03 - 6:13 AM Permalink

i would give ahything to go to that premiere parade...

Submitted by JonathanKerr on Sat, 29/11/03 - 3:56 PM Permalink

S Bob - you've got to remember that these books are Jackson's interpretation of LOTR - they're not intended to replace Tolkiens work, but rather, to accompany them. Tolkien couldn't write characters, but he had great attention to detail and history.

Submitted by Sorceror Bob on Sun, 30/11/03 - 1:12 AM Permalink

Thats true, I just disagree with some of his interpretations.. 95% of things kick ass, but that 5% is what gets talked about the most.

Submitted by Major Clod on Mon, 01/12/03 - 5:55 AM Permalink

I've got my tickets for the Boxing Day session... 11:30 at the Regent in Brisbane. There is an earlier showing at 9:30 in the Myer Centre cinemas, but I think the regent is a better cinema for openings, it has a cool atmosphere. :)

//Spoilers for ROTK and TTT:EE

Yes, the Saruman scenes have been cut, they will be on the ROTK:EE DVD.

TTT:EE DVD is great, I feel the extra footage really adds to the movie. There are so many little things in there... especially some good moments with Merry and Pippin. Now they do more than just hitch a ride on Treebeard for the entire film. Its also good to see the Huorns at Helms Deep.

//End Spoilers

I am very much looking forward to ROTK, I think it will be great. Some of the decisions by PJ on this film are going to leave me a little dissapointed, but I still think it will be great!

Submitted by Brain on Mon, 01/12/03 - 10:08 AM Permalink

Yup, my bro and I shall keep our tradition each time a LOTR movie comes about. See it in Gold Class. I mean, it's a long ass film. May aswell see it in damn comfy recliners with diddly all people about. And I'll have a hot chocolate delivered 20 minutes into the film, thankyou very much. @:-D

Submitted by Stu on Mon, 08/12/03 - 8:50 AM Permalink

I cant wait for this movie, sorry to hear about your bad experience with TTT Souri, one of the perks of working at the cinemas though, I dont have to line up :) Still this will be the 5th movie I've actually paid for in 7 years, and It'll be worth every cent.

Stu

Submitted by souri on Fri, 19/12/03 - 10:54 PM Permalink

It's getting close now.. Another week!
Did anyone read about Peter Jackson cutting over an hour and 20(?) minutes from ROTK? Cripes... can't wait for the special edition DVD [:)]
I was telling my friend how they could've just split ROTK up into 2 parts, and show the final part on boxing day next year.. [;)]

$$ Bling BLing $$

Submitted by inglis on Sat, 20/12/03 - 1:00 AM Permalink

yeah i read somewhere (some news site about an interview with jackson) that the extended dvd will be over 4hr 50mins

Submitted by MoonUnit on Sat, 20/12/03 - 5:46 AM Permalink

im just waiting for the 12 disk box :P (all three)
god thatd be expensive but heck id probably still buy it :D

Submitted by inglis on Sat, 20/12/03 - 5:51 AM Permalink

i havent bought any of the dvds waiting for that big pack at the end :)

Submitted by Kezza on Sun, 21/12/03 - 11:52 PM Permalink

tickets go on sale... tickets sell out in under an hour.
Damn crazed fans.

Submitted by MoonUnit on Mon, 22/12/03 - 3:54 AM Permalink

woo im seeing it on boxing day!!

ill be in phillip island at the time (holiday house there) and the closest that has it is wonthaggi cinema, being pretty much out in the middle of nowhere theyve still got seats :P

Submitted by Major Clod on Sat, 27/12/03 - 9:36 AM Permalink

Well I saw Return of the King this morning, and I quite enjoyed it. A couple of things did annoy me to a small extent, though I won't leave any major spoilers here. There were a few additions to the story that didn't really make sense, and I felt the character of Denethor wasn't quite right. There were also a few changes here and there that really didn't need to be made, as they didn't really have any impact on anything at all. So why change them? Also the start felt a little slow, but the ending was a little rushed. Well I think thats all the negative things out of the way, now onto the good stuff!

The Seige of Gondor was excellent, and Sean Astin was really great as Samwise. Shelob... excellent! I really can't say too many things without ruining the movie, but it is just as good as the others. I think after a few more screenings the film will be even better.

Still, I cannot wait for the extended edition. There was so much happening in ROTK that you do barely spend any time in one place. Hopefully it will be fleshed out a bit more on the DVD.

Those of you who have seen it, let me know what you think!

Submitted by CombatWombat on Sat, 27/12/03 - 9:43 PM Permalink

Yup, I thought it was very nicely done - I'd still have to say that Fellowship was better (but I think that's the best book anyway). I found the atmosphere the film painted in the 1st half to be quite depressing - which is rather impressive feat for a movie maker when the viewer knows the story well :)

Minas Morgul reminded me a lot of the ziggurats the undead have in Warcraft III ;)

I must say the 3 hours and 20 minutes only seemed like 60 minutes by the end.

Two silly things that I noticed (that I'd like to know if others spotted :)

* I swear I saw one of the Gondorian soliders with specatcles on after the battle of pellenor (sp?) fields
* In the opening scene, the hand used to pick up the ring didn't seem to be the one that was opened (trying to avoid any spoilers here :)

Oh well, let's hope Jackson makes the Hobbit in time for another boxing day soon :)

And if you haven't seen it yet: go see it now! :)

Submitted by Makk on Sun, 28/12/03 - 9:25 AM Permalink

Wow. Visaully the greatest movie I have ever seen.
I could go on and on about how I liked it, but I'll sum it up.........I loved it :)

Submitted by inglis on Sun, 28/12/03 - 10:32 AM Permalink

went to watch it boxing day. it was crazy...packed cinema ofcourse and stupid twits and idiots pushing in and bitching about people pushing in..its just a damn movie people.. anyway- got in and landed myself the perfect seat in the middle couple rows from the back (take that all you bitches who pushed..i took it easy and got the best seat...lol)

the movie was excellent. i loved it even before all the battles.. only 1 thing..not even that, a ? of a thing :)
im undecided on the long wrap up ending. i feel they could have cut off some of it - i understand why they put it all in. its in the books. it ties it all up and makes all the JRR T. fans happy and concluded without doubt the best series of movies ever. like i said- im undecided...maybe if they cut it around where frodo/and sam were saved it may have felt like the story wasnt finished. the movie just ended on a bit of a slow note which wasnt bad- but i probably wouldnt haved complained if they cut some of it off (e.g. sam getting married).

Submitted by souri on Sun, 28/12/03 - 12:50 PM Permalink

That's it.. I'm puting in a spoiler warning in the thread title [;)]

Just came back from watching it. Surprisingly (but definately happy as a result) there weren't that many people in the theatre, and all was whisper quiet during the whole movie. We happened to walk past the cinema on boxing day, and boy, it was like a zoo [:)]. Yeh, I did have an issue with the rather long 3-part ending. The audience mumbled a bit when the third part of the ending came on. Other than that, the pacing was great, never a dull moment..

Submitted by Major Clod on Mon, 29/12/03 - 10:18 AM Permalink

Jackson needed to keep the ending in there. The whole point of LOTR is not about the war of the ring, its about the effects the war has on people, and how they are never the same after. If he had cut it at the end of Mt Doom, it would have been no different to every other popcorn action flick around. He needed to add the rest in, and show that Frodo could never go back to his old life.

Submitted by Maitrek on Tue, 30/12/03 - 8:43 AM Permalink

I felt the ending was a bit drawn out - but overall the movie was great. When I first read the books (when I was really little) I always thought that Aragorn/Strider was the most interesting character and that the bits with Frodo were just filling inbetween :) I think I kind of carried that into the movies. I felt the weakest ingredient of the trilogy were the hobbits, although for a 'weakest part' they were still strong enough.

All in all at least the ending didn't suck. Nowadays it's generally not 'cool' to have a conclusive happy ending, so a change is nice.

p.s. My view was that LOTR was about the effect that power has on even the seemingly incorruptible.

Submitted by souri on Thu, 01/01/04 - 11:53 PM Permalink

*wonders what the extra HOUR and a bit will hold for the ROTK special edition*

When Frodo was writing the last words in the book, I manage to read some bits on Sam becoming mayor of the Shire. [:)]

Submitted by MoonUnit on Mon, 05/01/04 - 10:22 AM Permalink

the ending did seem a bit... odd didnt it. Like jackson really didnt know how to end it

i did thoughouroly enjoy the movie though, twas awesome! :D
i think that sort of general orc with the sort of mangled pink face (like his brain was sitting on his cheek)... he seemed like a thrown in character that wasnt really nescary (i dont know if he appeared in the books but he came off that way to me in the movie)

Submitted by souri on Tue, 06/01/04 - 11:36 AM Permalink

I haven't read the books, but when Fellowship of the Rings (the film) came out, fans were mumbling that Arwen and Aragorn's relationship wasn't really something that happened in the book (or maybe wasn't a big part of the book). So was the thing at the end with Elrond revealing Arwen + the wedding put in by Peter Jackson? What else did they change from the book?

Submitted by MoonUnit on Wed, 07/01/04 - 7:39 AM Permalink

saw it again today with a friend who hadnt seen it, i think it was even better! i dunno if im going to be able to go see a movie in peace again....

Submitted by tachyon on Wed, 07/01/04 - 2:30 PM Permalink

yeah Arwen and Aragorn's relationship didn't really happen in the book, well it did happen but it was only very slightly hinted at and wasn't a big thing like in the movie. A lot of the information about Arwen and Aragorn was in the appendices rather than the actual story.

umm, so other stuff that happened was that Saruman, after the ring was destroyed, beat Frodo and Co back to the Shire and basically took it over and they had to fight him off.

yeah, also there was a whole bit in the fellowship about this dude called Tom Bombadil who was really powerful and jolly within his own forest (the other forest thats not fangorn, i can't remember its name). It was a pointless bit of the story imo.

yeah, there's heaps of other stuff that happened too which i can't remember off the top of my head

Forum

I'm sure I'm not the only sumean eagerly awaiting boxing day, so thought this community service announcement would be appreciated [;)]

It appears the LOTR 3 tickets went on sale in the last 24 hrs or so (at village cinemas in Melbourne anyway), so go get those tickets [:D]

Cheers,

Mark/CW

Submitted by Aven on Fri, 28/11/03 - 7:55 AM Permalink

I'm really hoping that Hoyts also do the trilogy screenings. 9hrs straight of LoTR (drool).

Submitted by Kane on Fri, 28/11/03 - 9:58 AM Permalink

i have had the LOTR books for about 6 years now and still havent read all of them!

i am about to starty readin ROTK, so hopefully i will have it finished before boxing day (yeh, sure...)

from what my insanely-tolkien-addicted brother has told me (about a milliont time mind you) is that the last book is the best, and the movie should be too...

also, on Austar (Tassies version of Foxtel) i heard that all the Saruman scenes from ROTK are being cut to keep the movie to a 3 hour limit!!!!!!!!!!

im unsure about that, but if its true, oh the horror!

Submitted by Kane on Fri, 28/11/03 - 10:01 AM Permalink

to Souri...

i highly recommend reading the books, you'll be amazingly surprised how much has been taken out of them for the movie... Tom Bombadil for example...

if you want to know the full story, buy War of the Ring as well, it is all the stuff you dont see in the movie...

Submitted by JonathanKerr on Fri, 28/11/03 - 1:04 PM Permalink

Bombadil sucks. Insert smiley here.

The premiere parade is two blocks from my house. On the main street are massive statues attached to buildings of things like Nazguls and riders. Tres cool.

Submitted by Sorceror Bob on Fri, 28/11/03 - 1:52 PM Permalink

Jonathan: You so have to go throw carrion at Elija wood.(sp?).. That bastard turned frodo into a frothing pansy!!

I recently bought the Two Towers special edition DVD.. It's got like 40m of extra footage.. All nicely inserted into the film too :D Brings it up to 220 minutes I think. Over 3 and half hours of nerd love.. Crikey..

Anyhow, I haven't watched it yet, gotta wait till christmas.. It's a present for dad.. I'm looking forward to the making of gollum, and why peter jackson felt the need to add stuff to the books (aragons fall and the elves at helm deep)

Submitted by Kane on Sat, 29/11/03 - 6:13 AM Permalink

i would give ahything to go to that premiere parade...

Submitted by JonathanKerr on Sat, 29/11/03 - 3:56 PM Permalink

S Bob - you've got to remember that these books are Jackson's interpretation of LOTR - they're not intended to replace Tolkiens work, but rather, to accompany them. Tolkien couldn't write characters, but he had great attention to detail and history.

Submitted by Sorceror Bob on Sun, 30/11/03 - 1:12 AM Permalink

Thats true, I just disagree with some of his interpretations.. 95% of things kick ass, but that 5% is what gets talked about the most.

Submitted by Major Clod on Mon, 01/12/03 - 5:55 AM Permalink

I've got my tickets for the Boxing Day session... 11:30 at the Regent in Brisbane. There is an earlier showing at 9:30 in the Myer Centre cinemas, but I think the regent is a better cinema for openings, it has a cool atmosphere. :)

//Spoilers for ROTK and TTT:EE

Yes, the Saruman scenes have been cut, they will be on the ROTK:EE DVD.

TTT:EE DVD is great, I feel the extra footage really adds to the movie. There are so many little things in there... especially some good moments with Merry and Pippin. Now they do more than just hitch a ride on Treebeard for the entire film. Its also good to see the Huorns at Helms Deep.

//End Spoilers

I am very much looking forward to ROTK, I think it will be great. Some of the decisions by PJ on this film are going to leave me a little dissapointed, but I still think it will be great!

Submitted by Brain on Mon, 01/12/03 - 10:08 AM Permalink

Yup, my bro and I shall keep our tradition each time a LOTR movie comes about. See it in Gold Class. I mean, it's a long ass film. May aswell see it in damn comfy recliners with diddly all people about. And I'll have a hot chocolate delivered 20 minutes into the film, thankyou very much. @:-D

Submitted by Stu on Mon, 08/12/03 - 8:50 AM Permalink

I cant wait for this movie, sorry to hear about your bad experience with TTT Souri, one of the perks of working at the cinemas though, I dont have to line up :) Still this will be the 5th movie I've actually paid for in 7 years, and It'll be worth every cent.

Stu

Submitted by souri on Fri, 19/12/03 - 10:54 PM Permalink

It's getting close now.. Another week!
Did anyone read about Peter Jackson cutting over an hour and 20(?) minutes from ROTK? Cripes... can't wait for the special edition DVD [:)]
I was telling my friend how they could've just split ROTK up into 2 parts, and show the final part on boxing day next year.. [;)]

$$ Bling BLing $$

Submitted by inglis on Sat, 20/12/03 - 1:00 AM Permalink

yeah i read somewhere (some news site about an interview with jackson) that the extended dvd will be over 4hr 50mins

Submitted by MoonUnit on Sat, 20/12/03 - 5:46 AM Permalink

im just waiting for the 12 disk box :P (all three)
god thatd be expensive but heck id probably still buy it :D

Submitted by inglis on Sat, 20/12/03 - 5:51 AM Permalink

i havent bought any of the dvds waiting for that big pack at the end :)

Submitted by Kezza on Sun, 21/12/03 - 11:52 PM Permalink

tickets go on sale... tickets sell out in under an hour.
Damn crazed fans.

Submitted by MoonUnit on Mon, 22/12/03 - 3:54 AM Permalink

woo im seeing it on boxing day!!

ill be in phillip island at the time (holiday house there) and the closest that has it is wonthaggi cinema, being pretty much out in the middle of nowhere theyve still got seats :P

Submitted by Major Clod on Sat, 27/12/03 - 9:36 AM Permalink

Well I saw Return of the King this morning, and I quite enjoyed it. A couple of things did annoy me to a small extent, though I won't leave any major spoilers here. There were a few additions to the story that didn't really make sense, and I felt the character of Denethor wasn't quite right. There were also a few changes here and there that really didn't need to be made, as they didn't really have any impact on anything at all. So why change them? Also the start felt a little slow, but the ending was a little rushed. Well I think thats all the negative things out of the way, now onto the good stuff!

The Seige of Gondor was excellent, and Sean Astin was really great as Samwise. Shelob... excellent! I really can't say too many things without ruining the movie, but it is just as good as the others. I think after a few more screenings the film will be even better.

Still, I cannot wait for the extended edition. There was so much happening in ROTK that you do barely spend any time in one place. Hopefully it will be fleshed out a bit more on the DVD.

Those of you who have seen it, let me know what you think!

Submitted by CombatWombat on Sat, 27/12/03 - 9:43 PM Permalink

Yup, I thought it was very nicely done - I'd still have to say that Fellowship was better (but I think that's the best book anyway). I found the atmosphere the film painted in the 1st half to be quite depressing - which is rather impressive feat for a movie maker when the viewer knows the story well :)

Minas Morgul reminded me a lot of the ziggurats the undead have in Warcraft III ;)

I must say the 3 hours and 20 minutes only seemed like 60 minutes by the end.

Two silly things that I noticed (that I'd like to know if others spotted :)

* I swear I saw one of the Gondorian soliders with specatcles on after the battle of pellenor (sp?) fields
* In the opening scene, the hand used to pick up the ring didn't seem to be the one that was opened (trying to avoid any spoilers here :)

Oh well, let's hope Jackson makes the Hobbit in time for another boxing day soon :)

And if you haven't seen it yet: go see it now! :)

Submitted by Makk on Sun, 28/12/03 - 9:25 AM Permalink

Wow. Visaully the greatest movie I have ever seen.
I could go on and on about how I liked it, but I'll sum it up.........I loved it :)

Submitted by inglis on Sun, 28/12/03 - 10:32 AM Permalink

went to watch it boxing day. it was crazy...packed cinema ofcourse and stupid twits and idiots pushing in and bitching about people pushing in..its just a damn movie people.. anyway- got in and landed myself the perfect seat in the middle couple rows from the back (take that all you bitches who pushed..i took it easy and got the best seat...lol)

the movie was excellent. i loved it even before all the battles.. only 1 thing..not even that, a ? of a thing :)
im undecided on the long wrap up ending. i feel they could have cut off some of it - i understand why they put it all in. its in the books. it ties it all up and makes all the JRR T. fans happy and concluded without doubt the best series of movies ever. like i said- im undecided...maybe if they cut it around where frodo/and sam were saved it may have felt like the story wasnt finished. the movie just ended on a bit of a slow note which wasnt bad- but i probably wouldnt haved complained if they cut some of it off (e.g. sam getting married).

Submitted by souri on Sun, 28/12/03 - 12:50 PM Permalink

That's it.. I'm puting in a spoiler warning in the thread title [;)]

Just came back from watching it. Surprisingly (but definately happy as a result) there weren't that many people in the theatre, and all was whisper quiet during the whole movie. We happened to walk past the cinema on boxing day, and boy, it was like a zoo [:)]. Yeh, I did have an issue with the rather long 3-part ending. The audience mumbled a bit when the third part of the ending came on. Other than that, the pacing was great, never a dull moment..

Submitted by Major Clod on Mon, 29/12/03 - 10:18 AM Permalink

Jackson needed to keep the ending in there. The whole point of LOTR is not about the war of the ring, its about the effects the war has on people, and how they are never the same after. If he had cut it at the end of Mt Doom, it would have been no different to every other popcorn action flick around. He needed to add the rest in, and show that Frodo could never go back to his old life.

Submitted by Maitrek on Tue, 30/12/03 - 8:43 AM Permalink

I felt the ending was a bit drawn out - but overall the movie was great. When I first read the books (when I was really little) I always thought that Aragorn/Strider was the most interesting character and that the bits with Frodo were just filling inbetween :) I think I kind of carried that into the movies. I felt the weakest ingredient of the trilogy were the hobbits, although for a 'weakest part' they were still strong enough.

All in all at least the ending didn't suck. Nowadays it's generally not 'cool' to have a conclusive happy ending, so a change is nice.

p.s. My view was that LOTR was about the effect that power has on even the seemingly incorruptible.

Submitted by souri on Thu, 01/01/04 - 11:53 PM Permalink

*wonders what the extra HOUR and a bit will hold for the ROTK special edition*

When Frodo was writing the last words in the book, I manage to read some bits on Sam becoming mayor of the Shire. [:)]

Submitted by MoonUnit on Mon, 05/01/04 - 10:22 AM Permalink

the ending did seem a bit... odd didnt it. Like jackson really didnt know how to end it

i did thoughouroly enjoy the movie though, twas awesome! :D
i think that sort of general orc with the sort of mangled pink face (like his brain was sitting on his cheek)... he seemed like a thrown in character that wasnt really nescary (i dont know if he appeared in the books but he came off that way to me in the movie)

Submitted by souri on Tue, 06/01/04 - 11:36 AM Permalink

I haven't read the books, but when Fellowship of the Rings (the film) came out, fans were mumbling that Arwen and Aragorn's relationship wasn't really something that happened in the book (or maybe wasn't a big part of the book). So was the thing at the end with Elrond revealing Arwen + the wedding put in by Peter Jackson? What else did they change from the book?

Submitted by MoonUnit on Wed, 07/01/04 - 7:39 AM Permalink

saw it again today with a friend who hadnt seen it, i think it was even better! i dunno if im going to be able to go see a movie in peace again....

Submitted by tachyon on Wed, 07/01/04 - 2:30 PM Permalink

yeah Arwen and Aragorn's relationship didn't really happen in the book, well it did happen but it was only very slightly hinted at and wasn't a big thing like in the movie. A lot of the information about Arwen and Aragorn was in the appendices rather than the actual story.

umm, so other stuff that happened was that Saruman, after the ring was destroyed, beat Frodo and Co back to the Shire and basically took it over and they had to fight him off.

yeah, also there was a whole bit in the fellowship about this dude called Tom Bombadil who was really powerful and jolly within his own forest (the other forest thats not fangorn, i can't remember its name). It was a pointless bit of the story imo.

yeah, there's heaps of other stuff that happened too which i can't remember off the top of my head