Skip to main content

Weeks work

Submitted by oco on

This weeks progress oco2007-05-09 07:26:07

Submitted by oco on Mon, 27/11/06 - 3:39 PM Permalink

well, here's this weeks project, working on it when I get a chance. Hoping to put up a new project each week. Planting some seeds, see how we go!

C&C welcome on any work I put up

The Sketch, done with the old pencil. Still enjoy the more tactile approach occasionally over straight wacom

Heres the first progress.
About 2 hours work, still need to clean it up alot and fix the ear - alot of work in that
oco2006-12-10 01:06:46

Submitted by oco on Mon, 27/11/06 - 3:44 PM Permalink

Next update - Got a bit of free time, so another half hour spent cleaning up and fixing the ear

Submitted by oco on Mon, 27/11/06 - 6:47 PM Permalink

Adjusted the ear, less pink - prob can't even really tell. Not sure which is better yet?? need to still work on the nose an eye
oco2006-11-27 07:48:56

Submitted by oco on Tue, 28/11/06 - 5:58 PM Permalink

Just about there I think, worked on the nose and eye. Just the mouth left to go. Ditched most of the line work and tried to make the image alot cleaner.

Submitted by Johnn on Thu, 30/11/06 - 3:40 AM Permalink

looking good, I really like the overall feel of the painting. Very delicate use of colour and tone... maybe too delicate in spots? not sure if it would be improved, but I would be interested to see a version with stronger colour is some areas. I also think the outline on the nose, forehead and top of the chin are probably not helping the delicate nature of the whole piece and could be knocked back or better yet removed completely.

all up very good piece.

ps. the ear is excellent!

Submitted by oco on Thu, 30/11/06 - 9:13 AM Permalink

Thanks for the reply John, must say I was inspired by the 'Alien' link you directed me to. Very different to my own style but I was impressed by the skins. The ear is really the pride of the piece so far! the nose has recieve the same treatment - the eye and lips are yet to be tackled. Been working alot on my techniques to get real depth in to my pictures, often leave things looking flat, especially ears, noses etc. Ill have the finished piece up soon hopefully! I know what you mean about the outline, being tosing up whether I should have it or not. See what you think...

At first I thought he got a bit lost in the background but Its growing on me, well spotted.

- Took a look at your portfolio, you have very clean, strong line work. Have you done much technical drawing?

Submitted by oco on Thu, 30/11/06 - 2:39 PM Permalink

This is it, finished the eyes and lips. Thanks for the critique john, getting rid of the outline really adds that extra bit of realism I think. Now Ill have to look at intensifying the colours as a bit of an experiment! Trying to pioneer
a realistic stuble technique, only a touch ontop of his head but I think it adds to the pic as a whole.

Total work time 4-5hrs

Submitted by Johnn on Fri, 01/12/06 - 4:43 AM Permalink

MUCH improved with the removal of the line work there - looks like there is still a faint line, is that right? if you decide that the face edge is too undefined try darkening the background in that area. Just a small increase in tone will make a huge difference.

Good luck with the stubble. It's looking like 3day growth more than fresh shaved at the moment (just an obversation rather than criticism) I suspect that working light hairs on a dark base might work better for the 3day growth look. Might also be a choice feature to create a custom brush for... food for thought.

re:tech drawing, I'm sort of an engineer trapped in an artists body I guess (or the other way around?). I even did a year of engineering at Uni. So that probably does explain my general approach and artistic thought process. It is probably only due to a few cruel twists of fate that I didn't become an industrial designer.

Submitted by oco on Fri, 01/12/06 - 2:34 PM Permalink

Ha, I ask the question because I too have the anal retention of a drafts men, studied tech drawing for a couple of years. Very particular about my line work. Every Line!

Got excited this afternoon and decided to give him a body, to convey a bit more of the picture in my head. This whole piece is inspired by the book Slaughter House 5 - by Kurt Vonnegut. He's an old bastard but the book is one of my favourites

- The stubble i speak of is just the little bit on the top of his head - not much to speak of at the moment but a custom brush is exactly what im working on, combined with a few blurs and layer effects.

Submitted by Frostblade on Fri, 01/12/06 - 5:04 PM Permalink

Even though he's meant to be really thin...he's too small in the body area with that lovely head you did.

Submitted by oco on Mon, 04/12/06 - 5:56 AM Permalink

Hey frostblade, Linda isn't it? Thankyou for your kind words. I can see what you mean about the head, I have tried to oversize the head, hands and feet to give him a very underweight look but the head is a little to big.
my problem being that
with the layers Im working on I cant really change its size easily till a bit later on in the process.. So you'll have to wait untill its a little more complete before I downsize!

heres an update. Worked a little on the hands and feet

oco2006-12-03 19:47:37

Submitted by Frostblade on Tue, 05/12/06 - 12:46 PM Permalink

I guess you made the connection at cgtalk?

Well he looks like someone but can't get the name out... his neck is a bit fleshy too, maybe some spine bumbs too?

Submitted by Jackydablunt on Fri, 08/12/06 - 4:11 AM Permalink

Awesome man, all I can say. I've always been a major fan of pale skintones like that

Submitted by oco on Sun, 10/12/06 - 2:22 AM Permalink

Here we go. Letting this on rest now, alot of areas I could continue to refine but I pretty happy with it where it is. Got to move on to a new project

Thanks for the kind words John, frostblade & jackydablunt

Submitted by oco on Sun, 10/12/06 - 12:01 PM Permalink

The conductor. this weeks project. Something with a bit more spark and movement

heres the sketch

Submitted by Johnn on Sun, 10/12/06 - 4:45 PM Permalink

some good action to the line work - it will be interesting to see how you interpret it into paint. should be quite a different challenge for you from the last one.

Submitted by oco on Sun, 10/12/06 - 5:52 PM Permalink

Cheers John, Thats exactly what I after. Going for something at the other end of the spectrum. Working from black, alot of movement. Much more animated character but I still aim to handle it with subtlety. Want my pics to be more engaging then flashy. Thats the aim at least. (...ill have to produce some flashy works all the same, just to give some substance to my position - Im not just jealous!)

Submitted by oco on Mon, 11/12/06 - 8:09 PM Permalink

was trying to think think think of where this man could be. Played around with a few ideas and nothing grabbed me. Then it hit me - Electric Light Orchestra! - good conductor! might name him copper. so the subtle approach my be a little bit lost but I'm happy with the direction its headed.. 4 light bulbs done - another 10000000000 or so to go

heres an update

Submitted by oco on Wed, 13/12/06 - 1:08 PM Permalink

A little update. Playing with creating a bit more depth and movement

Submitted by oco on Thu, 15/02/07 - 4:45 PM Permalink

Sketch and first step of this little guy

Submitted by oco on Fri, 16/02/07 - 11:28 AM Permalink

Progress & a detail shot. Pretty happy witht he hair and the eyes

Submitted by oco on Sun, 18/02/07 - 6:59 AM Permalink

bit of progress. Not sure if I like the old version or the new one better. If any one notices dicey shadows or a strange colour tinge let me know - my monitors all out of wack I discovered. Tried to calibrate it but I think its a lost cause.

Submitted by oco on Sun, 18/02/07 - 2:03 PM Permalink

Got the back drop coming together and Im a happy guy. The idea is to have him in front of some old peeling wall paper - because he's a poor little fella. The wall paper is will depict the young buddha, who lived as a wealthy prince. A little bit of a juxtaposition. Ill try explain this better at a later date...

Submitted by oco on Mon, 19/02/07 - 5:12 PM Permalink

decided to change the whole expression of his stance. Shift the shoulders up a bit and added the left arm with a nervous hand picking at the wall. Wanted to make him look alot less comfortable. I hope you like the changes because I think I'm beyond the point of no return now. Still need to work a bit on the face to get the expression I wont. not much tho. Still a fair amount of work left to go on the singlet and body

Submitted by oco on Tue, 20/02/07 - 10:55 AM Permalink

an update.

Submitted by Johnn on Thu, 22/02/07 - 7:33 PM Permalink

looks like it is getting very close to finished... and looking great too.

Submitted by Neffy on Fri, 23/02/07 - 7:43 AM Permalink

That shirt has such a realistic feel ! those colours are amazing as well !!!

I?m not an expert or anything but his neck seems a little bit too thick, or his head is just slightly too large. Probably woulda been more helpful earlier on ^_^ sorry !

Submitted by oco on Sun, 25/02/07 - 4:40 PM Permalink

Heya Neffy and johnN. Thanks for the feed back. Narrowed the neck a little, hope its ok now. Either way Im putting this one to bed. Time to move on before I get sick of it

Submitted by oco on Tue, 27/02/07 - 3:05 PM Permalink

Heres my new rigger. The kiddy Trap. Might need to work on the title but it gives you the idea. quick sketch

Submitted by souri on Thu, 01/03/07 - 7:28 PM Permalink

It's probably your style, but your works are a bit too washed out, pale, and monotone!

It needs a burst of colour and more dark! The Electric Light Orchestra piece from the previous page is an example I want to see more of!

Posted by oco on

This weeks progress oco2007-05-09 07:26:07

Submitted by oco on Mon, 27/11/06 - 3:39 PM Permalink

well, here's this weeks project, working on it when I get a chance. Hoping to put up a new project each week. Planting some seeds, see how we go!

The Sketch, done with the old pencil. Still enjoy the more tactile approach occasionally over straight wacom

Heres the first progress.
About 2 hours work, still need to clean it up alot and fix the ear - alot of work in that
oco2006-12-10 01:06:46

Submitted by oco on Mon, 27/11/06 - 3:44 PM Permalink

Next update - Got a bit of free time, so another half hour spent cleaning up and fixing the ear

Submitted by oco on Mon, 27/11/06 - 6:47 PM Permalink

Adjusted the ear, less pink - prob can't even really tell. Not sure which is better yet?? need to still work on the nose an eye
oco2006-11-27 07:48:56

Submitted by oco on Tue, 28/11/06 - 5:58 PM Permalink

Just about there I think, worked on the nose and eye. Just the mouth left to go. Ditched most of the line work and tried to make the image alot cleaner.

Submitted by Johnn on Thu, 30/11/06 - 3:40 AM Permalink

looking good, I really like the overall feel of the painting. Very delicate use of colour and tone... maybe too delicate in spots? not sure if it would be improved, but I would be interested to see a version with stronger colour is some areas. I also think the outline on the nose, forehead and top of the chin are probably not helping the delicate nature of the whole piece and could be knocked back or better yet removed completely.

all up very good piece.

ps. the ear is excellent!

Submitted by oco on Thu, 30/11/06 - 9:13 AM Permalink

Thanks for the reply John, must say I was inspired by the 'Alien' link you directed me to. Very different to my own style but I was impressed by the skins. The ear is really the pride of the piece so far! the nose has recieve the same treatment - the eye and lips are yet to be tackled. Been working alot on my techniques to get real depth in to my pictures, often leave things looking flat, especially ears, noses etc. Ill have the finished piece up soon hopefully! I know what you mean about the outline, being tosing up whether I should have it or not. See what you think...

At first I thought he got a bit lost in the background but Its growing on me, well spotted.

- Took a look at your portfolio, you have very clean, strong line work. Have you done much technical drawing?

Submitted by oco on Thu, 30/11/06 - 2:39 PM Permalink

This is it, finished the eyes and lips. Thanks for the critique john, getting rid of the outline really adds that extra bit of realism I think. Now Ill have to look at intensifying the colours as a bit of an experiment! Trying to pioneer
a realistic stuble technique, only a touch ontop of his head but I think it adds to the pic as a whole.

Total work time 4-5hrs

Submitted by Johnn on Fri, 01/12/06 - 4:43 AM Permalink

MUCH improved with the removal of the line work there - looks like there is still a faint line, is that right? if you decide that the face edge is too undefined try darkening the background in that area. Just a small increase in tone will make a huge difference.

Good luck with the stubble. It's looking like 3day growth more than fresh shaved at the moment (just an obversation rather than criticism) I suspect that working light hairs on a dark base might work better for the 3day growth look. Might also be a choice feature to create a custom brush for... food for thought.

re:tech drawing, I'm sort of an engineer trapped in an artists body I guess (or the other way around?). I even did a year of engineering at Uni. So that probably does explain my general approach and artistic thought process. It is probably only due to a few cruel twists of fate that I didn't become an industrial designer.

Submitted by oco on Fri, 01/12/06 - 2:34 PM Permalink

Ha, I ask the question because I too have the anal retention of a drafts men, studied tech drawing for a couple of years. Very particular about my line work. Every Line!

Got excited this afternoon and decided to give him a body, to convey a bit more of the picture in my head. This whole piece is inspired by the book Slaughter House 5 - by Kurt Vonnegut. He's an old bastard but the book is one of my favourites

- The stubble i speak of is just the little bit on the top of his head - not much to speak of at the moment but a custom brush is exactly what im working on, combined with a few blurs and layer effects.

Submitted by Frostblade on Fri, 01/12/06 - 5:04 PM Permalink

Even though he's meant to be really thin...he's too small in the body area with that lovely head you did.

Submitted by oco on Mon, 04/12/06 - 5:56 AM Permalink

Hey frostblade, Linda isn't it? Thankyou for your kind words. I can see what you mean about the head, I have tried to oversize the head, hands and feet to give him a very underweight look but the head is a little to big.
my problem being that
with the layers Im working on I cant really change its size easily till a bit later on in the process.. So you'll have to wait untill its a little more complete before I downsize!

heres an update. Worked a little on the hands and feet

oco2006-12-03 19:47:37

Submitted by Frostblade on Tue, 05/12/06 - 12:46 PM Permalink

I guess you made the connection at cgtalk?

Well he looks like someone but can't get the name out... his neck is a bit fleshy too, maybe some spine bumbs too?

Submitted by Jackydablunt on Fri, 08/12/06 - 4:11 AM Permalink

Awesome man, all I can say. I've always been a major fan of pale skintones like that

Submitted by oco on Sun, 10/12/06 - 2:22 AM Permalink

Here we go. Letting this on rest now, alot of areas I could continue to refine but I pretty happy with it where it is. Got to move on to a new project

Thanks for the kind words John, frostblade & jackydablunt

Submitted by oco on Sun, 10/12/06 - 12:01 PM Permalink

The conductor. this weeks project. Something with a bit more spark and movement

heres the sketch

Submitted by Johnn on Sun, 10/12/06 - 4:45 PM Permalink

some good action to the line work - it will be interesting to see how you interpret it into paint. should be quite a different challenge for you from the last one.

Submitted by oco on Sun, 10/12/06 - 5:52 PM Permalink

Cheers John, Thats exactly what I after. Going for something at the other end of the spectrum. Working from black, alot of movement. Much more animated character but I still aim to handle it with subtlety. Want my pics to be more engaging then flashy. Thats the aim at least. (...ill have to produce some flashy works all the same, just to give some substance to my position - Im not just jealous!)

Submitted by oco on Mon, 11/12/06 - 8:09 PM Permalink

was trying to think think think of where this man could be. Played around with a few ideas and nothing grabbed me. Then it hit me - Electric Light Orchestra! - good conductor! might name him copper. so the subtle approach my be a little bit lost but I'm happy with the direction its headed.. 4 light bulbs done - another 10000000000 or so to go

heres an update

Submitted by oco on Wed, 13/12/06 - 1:08 PM Permalink

A little update. Playing with creating a bit more depth and movement

Submitted by oco on Thu, 15/02/07 - 4:45 PM Permalink

Sketch and first step of this little guy

Submitted by oco on Fri, 16/02/07 - 11:28 AM Permalink

Progress & a detail shot. Pretty happy witht he hair and the eyes

Submitted by oco on Sun, 18/02/07 - 6:59 AM Permalink

bit of progress. Not sure if I like the old version or the new one better. If any one notices dicey shadows or a strange colour tinge let me know - my monitors all out of wack I discovered. Tried to calibrate it but I think its a lost cause.

Submitted by oco on Sun, 18/02/07 - 2:03 PM Permalink

Got the back drop coming together and Im a happy guy. The idea is to have him in front of some old peeling wall paper - because he's a poor little fella. The wall paper is will depict the young buddha, who lived as a wealthy prince. A little bit of a juxtaposition. Ill try explain this better at a later date...

Submitted by oco on Mon, 19/02/07 - 5:12 PM Permalink

decided to change the whole expression of his stance. Shift the shoulders up a bit and added the left arm with a nervous hand picking at the wall. Wanted to make him look alot less comfortable. I hope you like the changes because I think I'm beyond the point of no return now. Still need to work a bit on the face to get the expression I wont. not much tho. Still a fair amount of work left to go on the singlet and body

Submitted by oco on Tue, 20/02/07 - 10:55 AM Permalink

an update.

Submitted by Johnn on Thu, 22/02/07 - 7:33 PM Permalink

looks like it is getting very close to finished... and looking great too.

Submitted by Neffy on Fri, 23/02/07 - 7:43 AM Permalink

That shirt has such a realistic feel ! those colours are amazing as well !!!

I?m not an expert or anything but his neck seems a little bit too thick, or his head is just slightly too large. Probably woulda been more helpful earlier on ^_^ sorry !

Submitted by oco on Sun, 25/02/07 - 4:40 PM Permalink

Heya Neffy and johnN. Thanks for the feed back. Narrowed the neck a little, hope its ok now. Either way Im putting this one to bed. Time to move on before I get sick of it

Submitted by oco on Tue, 27/02/07 - 3:05 PM Permalink

Heres my new rigger. The kiddy Trap. Might need to work on the title but it gives you the idea. quick sketch

Submitted by souri on Thu, 01/03/07 - 7:28 PM Permalink

It's probably your style, but your works are a bit too washed out, pale, and monotone!

It needs a burst of colour and more dark! The Electric Light Orchestra piece from the previous page is an example I want to see more of!