Skip to main content

Counter-Strike: Source Beta

Submitted by tbag on
Forum

Just wondering,

Has anyone else got a Condition Zero CD Key or ATI Half-Life 2 voucher entitling them to a free copy of Counter-Strike: Source Beta?

Luckily, i have my Condition Zero CD Key all ready for the free downloadable beta.

August 5th on Steam it will preload, and it will be playable on August 10th [:)] and thats when i will be trying it out. I'll try to upload some screenies or something if i actually get a copy... (we all know what Valve is like [:o)])

So has anyone else got themselves a possible lined up Counter-Strike: Source Beta?

Submitted by MoonUnit on Tue, 27/07/04 - 4:36 AM Permalink

if my little HL2 card that i got with my ATI radeon allows me acess to it, then yes

Submitted by souri on Tue, 27/07/04 - 7:32 AM Permalink

I have the voucher as well, so I'll be having a look when it's available. From what I've read and seen, CS: Source is still basically the same game, so I won't be playing it too much.

btw, don't you mean August, not April? [:)]

Submitted by palantir on Tue, 27/07/04 - 5:38 PM Permalink

Heh, he probably means April 2005, given how long Valve take to do anything

Submitted by Daemin on Tue, 27/07/04 - 9:22 PM Permalink

I wish I had bought a video card with a free Doom 3 voucher instead really, I really dislike steam and the whole system. Reeks of American corporationism that removes all power from the consumer. *sigh*...

Submitted by tbag on Wed, 28/07/04 - 2:51 AM Permalink

August 10th sorry. I screwed up, i never really learnt my months of the year [:p].

As for Steam, the more i use it the crappier it gets, and i for some reason it refuses my CD key, when it is from the proper premier pack which i purchased. However, i have heard many stories of Steam refusing CD keys even from newly purchased copies. And Valve, like the dogs they are, refuse to give you a new CD key even if you have proof.

As for my copy of CS:S, my friend cant remember his steam login and secret answer. Hold your flaming at me, its not pirating. Its simply me using his account to gain access to a beta which is freely downloadable and i dont see how that is illegal [:)]. But since he has forgotten his account, it looks like it is upto me to purchase a copy of CS:CZ if i want a copy of CS:S...

Submitted by souri on Wed, 28/07/04 - 4:20 AM Permalink

You know, I haven't had any of the Steam problems that I've read about elsewhere. It has worked flawlessly for me. It logs in ok, updates itself and gets me in online games fine, with no annoyances whatsoever...

The only problem I have with Valve is that the gfx card I bought for their game still hasn't been released yet, and I need to upgrade it already to play Doom 3 which is coming in a week. [:D] Well done Valve.

Submitted by MoonUnit on Wed, 28/07/04 - 7:38 AM Permalink

lol souri!
my steam thing works fine also

Submitted by Barry Dahlberg on Wed, 28/07/04 - 7:39 PM Permalink

Anyone try Steam last night? It seemed to be down for several people I know, and since my login ticket had expired I couldn't even get in to offline mode to test a map. Steam, an automated update and patching system was an excellent idea, it's a pity they got carried away by adding skins, friends, mini games and so much bloat without concentrating on making the basic system as stable as possible.

Submitted by Daemin on Wed, 28/07/04 - 11:29 PM Permalink

I think it is because they tried to rollout a huge service to a lot of customers right from the start that things got screwy quickly. In the end they might not make any money from this venture, infact they could go broke, but the next two or three schemes like this after them will probably succeed...

Submitted by MoonUnit on Thu, 29/07/04 - 12:33 AM Permalink

i was playing steam just earlier (day of defeat, lotsa fun) and no worries. I know theres some excess bits and peices that you probably dont need and all the rest of it but steam is effective for me.

Submitted by codyalday on Thu, 29/07/04 - 2:46 AM Permalink

Steam is Crap, made fully Cablers, can't do shit with 56ker, also, Counter Strike : Condition Zero was made so you can't even play LAN without that crap Steam, fully crap, so crap, that I need to take a crap now.

Submitted by Barry Dahlberg on Thu, 29/07/04 - 5:27 AM Permalink

Apparently the system has been suffering from DDOS attacks recently, though that could always be a cunning cover story.

Submitted by souri on Thu, 29/07/04 - 5:43 AM Permalink

Oh, I agree that 56k users are screwed.. also the licensing fees for internet cafe's to play Valve's games are attrocious.

Submitted by bullet21 on Thu, 29/07/04 - 6:04 PM Permalink

Steam was the main reason i stopped playing CS and got turned of the whole Valve thing. It's also why im looking forward more to Doom 3 than HL2.

Submitted by codyalday on Fri, 30/07/04 - 2:53 AM Permalink

Just remember I saw CSS Video Ages Ago, looks so leet. You can grab a Copy of the Video Clip from the Magazine called " PC Power Play ". Anyways, to me it seems they are playing the map " CS_Aztec " anyways, looks really good, graphics, sound, Game Play looks the same though. Reading the magazine, and the Developer said " One room in CSS will contain the same amount of Polygons a Whole Map in CS Would Have " Now that is nice.

Submitted by MoonUnit on Sat, 07/08/04 - 4:43 AM Permalink

dosent valve run steam more or less independantly (ie, theres no publisher business like when you release something in a box on a shelf)? so why not make realistic realese dates (ie make them later then you think they need to be, better to be under then over) instead the disapointment. Or is CSS getting released commerically aswell?

Submitted by tbag on Sat, 07/08/04 - 6:29 PM Permalink

Actually, i saw someone comment on that stating that they probably are too busy playing Doom III to be bothered to release anything.

It wouldnt suprise me if they were though, it gives them a chance to steal ideas from Doom III [:p].

Submitted by Rahnem on Fri, 13/08/04 - 7:25 AM Permalink

It's hardly surprising that CS:Source is the same as the old CS, except for a visual audio upgrade. If valve changed so much as one bit the CS community would castrate them. Thats what CS2 is for.

Submitted by tbag on Wed, 18/08/04 - 5:41 AM Permalink

I just pre-downloaded CS: Source, i have to wait around 30 hours or so to play it though... but im happy i've got it mainly because it will help determine how well i can run Half-Life 2 [:)].

Anyone pre-downloaded their copy yet?

Submitted by MoonUnit on Wed, 18/08/04 - 6:17 AM Permalink

you mean its availible on steam now?

Submitted by tbag on Wed, 18/08/04 - 5:15 PM Permalink

Yep i've got it [:)]

Submitted by MoonUnit on Thu, 19/08/04 - 1:28 AM Permalink

tried to get it a few times, it crashed steam -_-

edit: now steam refuses to load entirely, boy i love that program

Submitted by souri on Thu, 19/08/04 - 4:41 AM Permalink

I've downloaded it as well.. can't play it yet though. [:o)]

Submitted by tbag on Thu, 19/08/04 - 5:03 AM Permalink

Yeah, still awhile to go until we can play it... we should have a Sumea tournament for those with the beta since there will be only a few of us [;)].

Submitted by souri on Thu, 19/08/04 - 10:22 PM Permalink

It's in my playlist now. [}:)]

Submitted by MoonUnit on Fri, 20/08/04 - 1:42 AM Permalink

i think steam is holding a grudge against me, i got the game pre loaded now but it refuses to boot up. Just says "preparing to play..." for ever >:(

Submitted by tbag on Fri, 20/08/04 - 1:49 AM Permalink

Yeah same thing for me MoonUnit... i think its just Valves servers are taking a major hammering, get off Steam you Americans let the rest of the world play! [:p].

Dont worry, the coffee wont hold out forever...

UPDATE: Now i am being told only 68% of the beta has been completed, the pre-load doesnt load the whole thing, there is still another 80-100 meg to download. I've gotta wait for another hour or so now due too the laggy servers.

Submitted by MoonUnit on Fri, 20/08/04 - 2:27 AM Permalink

yeah i got a updating thing pop up eventually, which told me that the servers were too busy 20-30% later. after doing that 20-30% again i was told that the game was un-availibe, not to mention the updating thing is totally maxing out my CPU before it decides to stop.

EDIT: tried again, disconnected again, tried again, tried to play some UT2k4 whilst waiting, UT2k4 crashed computer disconnected again

this is getting rediculous -_-

Submitted by tbag on Fri, 20/08/04 - 3:16 AM Permalink

I just played it for about 20 minutes, pretty damn cool.

I can run it at 30 FPS a second on high settings with x2 Anti-Aliasing (I was playing with 32 players) and i have a GeXCube Radeon 9600XT Extreme [:)] so this shows that nearly any graphics card can run it very nicely.

My whole system specs are:
AMD Athlon XP 2800+,
1024 DDR 400mhz Kingston and the video card mentioned above, nothing is overclocked either [:)].

Looks like im set for Half-Life 2 [:)].

Posted by tbag on
Forum

Just wondering,

Has anyone else got a Condition Zero CD Key or ATI Half-Life 2 voucher entitling them to a free copy of Counter-Strike: Source Beta?

Luckily, i have my Condition Zero CD Key all ready for the free downloadable beta.

August 5th on Steam it will preload, and it will be playable on August 10th [:)] and thats when i will be trying it out. I'll try to upload some screenies or something if i actually get a copy... (we all know what Valve is like [:o)])

So has anyone else got themselves a possible lined up Counter-Strike: Source Beta?

Submitted by MoonUnit on Tue, 27/07/04 - 4:36 AM Permalink

if my little HL2 card that i got with my ATI radeon allows me acess to it, then yes

Submitted by souri on Tue, 27/07/04 - 7:32 AM Permalink

I have the voucher as well, so I'll be having a look when it's available. From what I've read and seen, CS: Source is still basically the same game, so I won't be playing it too much.

btw, don't you mean August, not April? [:)]

Submitted by palantir on Tue, 27/07/04 - 5:38 PM Permalink

Heh, he probably means April 2005, given how long Valve take to do anything

Submitted by Daemin on Tue, 27/07/04 - 9:22 PM Permalink

I wish I had bought a video card with a free Doom 3 voucher instead really, I really dislike steam and the whole system. Reeks of American corporationism that removes all power from the consumer. *sigh*...

Submitted by tbag on Wed, 28/07/04 - 2:51 AM Permalink

August 10th sorry. I screwed up, i never really learnt my months of the year [:p].

As for Steam, the more i use it the crappier it gets, and i for some reason it refuses my CD key, when it is from the proper premier pack which i purchased. However, i have heard many stories of Steam refusing CD keys even from newly purchased copies. And Valve, like the dogs they are, refuse to give you a new CD key even if you have proof.

As for my copy of CS:S, my friend cant remember his steam login and secret answer. Hold your flaming at me, its not pirating. Its simply me using his account to gain access to a beta which is freely downloadable and i dont see how that is illegal [:)]. But since he has forgotten his account, it looks like it is upto me to purchase a copy of CS:CZ if i want a copy of CS:S...

Submitted by souri on Wed, 28/07/04 - 4:20 AM Permalink

You know, I haven't had any of the Steam problems that I've read about elsewhere. It has worked flawlessly for me. It logs in ok, updates itself and gets me in online games fine, with no annoyances whatsoever...

The only problem I have with Valve is that the gfx card I bought for their game still hasn't been released yet, and I need to upgrade it already to play Doom 3 which is coming in a week. [:D] Well done Valve.

Submitted by MoonUnit on Wed, 28/07/04 - 7:38 AM Permalink

lol souri!
my steam thing works fine also

Submitted by Barry Dahlberg on Wed, 28/07/04 - 7:39 PM Permalink

Anyone try Steam last night? It seemed to be down for several people I know, and since my login ticket had expired I couldn't even get in to offline mode to test a map. Steam, an automated update and patching system was an excellent idea, it's a pity they got carried away by adding skins, friends, mini games and so much bloat without concentrating on making the basic system as stable as possible.

Submitted by Daemin on Wed, 28/07/04 - 11:29 PM Permalink

I think it is because they tried to rollout a huge service to a lot of customers right from the start that things got screwy quickly. In the end they might not make any money from this venture, infact they could go broke, but the next two or three schemes like this after them will probably succeed...

Submitted by MoonUnit on Thu, 29/07/04 - 12:33 AM Permalink

i was playing steam just earlier (day of defeat, lotsa fun) and no worries. I know theres some excess bits and peices that you probably dont need and all the rest of it but steam is effective for me.

Submitted by codyalday on Thu, 29/07/04 - 2:46 AM Permalink

Steam is Crap, made fully Cablers, can't do shit with 56ker, also, Counter Strike : Condition Zero was made so you can't even play LAN without that crap Steam, fully crap, so crap, that I need to take a crap now.

Submitted by Barry Dahlberg on Thu, 29/07/04 - 5:27 AM Permalink

Apparently the system has been suffering from DDOS attacks recently, though that could always be a cunning cover story.

Submitted by souri on Thu, 29/07/04 - 5:43 AM Permalink

Oh, I agree that 56k users are screwed.. also the licensing fees for internet cafe's to play Valve's games are attrocious.

Submitted by bullet21 on Thu, 29/07/04 - 6:04 PM Permalink

Steam was the main reason i stopped playing CS and got turned of the whole Valve thing. It's also why im looking forward more to Doom 3 than HL2.

Submitted by codyalday on Fri, 30/07/04 - 2:53 AM Permalink

Just remember I saw CSS Video Ages Ago, looks so leet. You can grab a Copy of the Video Clip from the Magazine called " PC Power Play ". Anyways, to me it seems they are playing the map " CS_Aztec " anyways, looks really good, graphics, sound, Game Play looks the same though. Reading the magazine, and the Developer said " One room in CSS will contain the same amount of Polygons a Whole Map in CS Would Have " Now that is nice.

Submitted by MoonUnit on Sat, 07/08/04 - 4:43 AM Permalink

dosent valve run steam more or less independantly (ie, theres no publisher business like when you release something in a box on a shelf)? so why not make realistic realese dates (ie make them later then you think they need to be, better to be under then over) instead the disapointment. Or is CSS getting released commerically aswell?

Submitted by tbag on Sat, 07/08/04 - 6:29 PM Permalink

Actually, i saw someone comment on that stating that they probably are too busy playing Doom III to be bothered to release anything.

It wouldnt suprise me if they were though, it gives them a chance to steal ideas from Doom III [:p].

Submitted by Rahnem on Fri, 13/08/04 - 7:25 AM Permalink

It's hardly surprising that CS:Source is the same as the old CS, except for a visual audio upgrade. If valve changed so much as one bit the CS community would castrate them. Thats what CS2 is for.

Submitted by tbag on Wed, 18/08/04 - 5:41 AM Permalink

I just pre-downloaded CS: Source, i have to wait around 30 hours or so to play it though... but im happy i've got it mainly because it will help determine how well i can run Half-Life 2 [:)].

Anyone pre-downloaded their copy yet?

Submitted by MoonUnit on Wed, 18/08/04 - 6:17 AM Permalink

you mean its availible on steam now?

Submitted by tbag on Wed, 18/08/04 - 5:15 PM Permalink

Yep i've got it [:)]

Submitted by MoonUnit on Thu, 19/08/04 - 1:28 AM Permalink

tried to get it a few times, it crashed steam -_-

edit: now steam refuses to load entirely, boy i love that program

Submitted by souri on Thu, 19/08/04 - 4:41 AM Permalink

I've downloaded it as well.. can't play it yet though. [:o)]

Submitted by tbag on Thu, 19/08/04 - 5:03 AM Permalink

Yeah, still awhile to go until we can play it... we should have a Sumea tournament for those with the beta since there will be only a few of us [;)].

Submitted by souri on Thu, 19/08/04 - 10:22 PM Permalink

It's in my playlist now. [}:)]

Submitted by MoonUnit on Fri, 20/08/04 - 1:42 AM Permalink

i think steam is holding a grudge against me, i got the game pre loaded now but it refuses to boot up. Just says "preparing to play..." for ever >:(

Submitted by tbag on Fri, 20/08/04 - 1:49 AM Permalink

Yeah same thing for me MoonUnit... i think its just Valves servers are taking a major hammering, get off Steam you Americans let the rest of the world play! [:p].

Dont worry, the coffee wont hold out forever...

UPDATE: Now i am being told only 68% of the beta has been completed, the pre-load doesnt load the whole thing, there is still another 80-100 meg to download. I've gotta wait for another hour or so now due too the laggy servers.

Submitted by MoonUnit on Fri, 20/08/04 - 2:27 AM Permalink

yeah i got a updating thing pop up eventually, which told me that the servers were too busy 20-30% later. after doing that 20-30% again i was told that the game was un-availibe, not to mention the updating thing is totally maxing out my CPU before it decides to stop.

EDIT: tried again, disconnected again, tried again, tried to play some UT2k4 whilst waiting, UT2k4 crashed computer disconnected again

this is getting rediculous -_-

Submitted by tbag on Fri, 20/08/04 - 3:16 AM Permalink

I just played it for about 20 minutes, pretty damn cool.

I can run it at 30 FPS a second on high settings with x2 Anti-Aliasing (I was playing with 32 players) and i have a GeXCube Radeon 9600XT Extreme [:)] so this shows that nearly any graphics card can run it very nicely.

My whole system specs are:
AMD Athlon XP 2800+,
1024 DDR 400mhz Kingston and the video card mentioned above, nothing is overclocked either [:)].

Looks like im set for Half-Life 2 [:)].