Skip to main content

Getting around Oz and to AGDC 2003

Submitted by camelo on
Forum

Hi!

I'm planning to attend to AGDC 2003 and do some tourism in Australia around November/December. Can you guys suggest affordable places to stay (specially in Victoria)? Also, I'll probably land at Sydney. What's the best (cheapest) way to get from there to Melbourne?

--camelo

Submitted by Jacana on Fri, 27/06/03 - 6:50 PM Permalink

hey camelo - later this year the GDC will be posting deals that they have with some of the motels in the area. Might want to look around an see. Otherwise Enterprize *spelling* was very cheap. Its on Spencer Street about 5min walk to the building. I think a lot of students stayed there.

As for cheap way to get the Syd. Honestly I would say flying. Should be about $60 US 1 way to get up there.

As forums are going to be going down soon feel free to email me if you want to discuss stuff further :)

Submitted by camelo on Sat, 28/06/03 - 8:26 AM Permalink

Message Preview
Thank you Jacana!

How cheap is your cheap? I found this link http://iufro.boku.ac.at/iufro/taskforce/tfsfm/hotels.htm. AUD $99 is a bit high for my bugdet. Hope they have discounts for game developers from 3rd world countries [;)]

I will be staying for about 30 days in Oz, so I'd better stay cheap. I think the "THE HOTEL Y" (Elizabeth Street), for $25.00 per person (4 person share) is closer to my needs.

USD $60 for the air ticket is about the same as the AUD $100 for the rail ticket. But much more convinient. I will try to arrange that with my travel agent.

Too bad Sumea is going down. Isn't there anything we can make to prevent that from happening? Is there an alternative forum we're Sumea members will be migrating to while Sumea is down?

--camelo

Submitted by Jacana on Sat, 28/06/03 - 6:34 PM Permalink

the airline that has tickets for that price is Virgin Blue. You can just order tickets through their website :)

And not sure were we are going to hang out - Sumea will be back at some stage...

Submitted by Meatex Salami on Mon, 30/06/03 - 9:45 PM Permalink

just my luck ay
i get back here only to find the site going down soon
the only forums i have been using of late is the intranet one at aie
ah well
i pretty much just use icq so if anyone wants to get in touch with me (pffft [8]) that is where i am most of the time
we could just move the forum stuff to a geocities like place if ppl are going to get severe withdrawl symptoms

Posted by camelo on
Forum

Hi!

I'm planning to attend to AGDC 2003 and do some tourism in Australia around November/December. Can you guys suggest affordable places to stay (specially in Victoria)? Also, I'll probably land at Sydney. What's the best (cheapest) way to get from there to Melbourne?

--camelo

Submitted by Jacana on Fri, 27/06/03 - 6:50 PM Permalink

hey camelo - later this year the GDC will be posting deals that they have with some of the motels in the area. Might want to look around an see. Otherwise Enterprize *spelling* was very cheap. Its on Spencer Street about 5min walk to the building. I think a lot of students stayed there.

As for cheap way to get the Syd. Honestly I would say flying. Should be about $60 US 1 way to get up there.

As forums are going to be going down soon feel free to email me if you want to discuss stuff further :)

Submitted by camelo on Sat, 28/06/03 - 8:26 AM Permalink

Message Preview
Thank you Jacana!

How cheap is your cheap? I found this link http://iufro.boku.ac.at/iufro/taskforce/tfsfm/hotels.htm. AUD $99 is a bit high for my bugdet. Hope they have discounts for game developers from 3rd world countries [;)]

I will be staying for about 30 days in Oz, so I'd better stay cheap. I think the "THE HOTEL Y" (Elizabeth Street), for $25.00 per person (4 person share) is closer to my needs.

USD $60 for the air ticket is about the same as the AUD $100 for the rail ticket. But much more convinient. I will try to arrange that with my travel agent.

Too bad Sumea is going down. Isn't there anything we can make to prevent that from happening? Is there an alternative forum we're Sumea members will be migrating to while Sumea is down?

--camelo

Submitted by Jacana on Sat, 28/06/03 - 6:34 PM Permalink

the airline that has tickets for that price is Virgin Blue. You can just order tickets through their website :)

And not sure were we are going to hang out - Sumea will be back at some stage...

Submitted by Meatex Salami on Mon, 30/06/03 - 9:45 PM Permalink

just my luck ay
i get back here only to find the site going down soon
the only forums i have been using of late is the intranet one at aie
ah well
i pretty much just use icq so if anyone wants to get in touch with me (pffft [8]) that is where i am most of the time
we could just move the forum stuff to a geocities like place if ppl are going to get severe withdrawl symptoms