Skip to main content

Flying City

Submitted by Rizo on

Hello everyone, i made this piece as a metal nap from the current project that I'm working on. I took some inspiration of french castles and LOTR of course , i wanted to explored the deep of a huge city, and i thought that make a floating city would be cool. For the color palete of the city i took reference of these Toscan towns in Italy. The original wide is 3800 Pixels so a few details got lost like robes hanging from the city...
Critics and comments are welcome.

[URL=http://imageshack.us][IMG]http://img133.imageshack.us/img133/4182/fortr…]

Submitted by MoonUnit on Mon, 26/06/06 - 8:29 PM Permalink

it defies all graivity and sense, hurts my brain and is really really awesome :P I know its great because i look at it and wonder what itd be like to be over there and how you'd get to there. Im allready immersed :)

Submitted by souri on Mon, 26/06/06 - 8:50 PM Permalink

Wow, incredible work with so much detail everywhere. But where are all the citizens or any sign of activity? [:D] It might be cliche perhaps, but I guess I'm used to seeing the crowds of people and all the floating cars that come with futuristic city scenes. It's probably not you were going for though. I think the buildings could be more distinguished from each other (more variations in architecture), with all the things that help better set them apart (signs, different shapes/window arrangements etc)- but then again, that's probably not the look you were going for either because what it has now definately has a certain feel associated to it, particularly with the buildings being alike and of similar earthy colour.

Submitted by Makk on Tue, 27/06/06 - 2:40 AM Permalink

Go Go Go Rizo!
I always look forward to your posts and this one is no exception. top stuff :)
Tiny crit would be to add some different coloured buildings. Like blue and grey and green, etc

Submitted by Rizo on Tue, 27/06/06 - 7:12 AM Permalink

Thank you guys for your comments, i'll put my hand to work in your critics to make some arragments before uploading the image in my online portfolio, About the building shapes, yeap.. i think i put too much effort in the floating city than the lower one... but i'll keep that in mind and the tonal colours variations, so again, Thanks Souri, Makk and MoonUnit for your replys :)

Submitted by Speculart on Sun, 02/07/06 - 1:00 PM Permalink

Whoa alot of work gone into that! What a great piece. I wouldnt be able to resist overlaying some stone textures and dirt which may add an extra element of realism. Top stuff.

Submitted by davidcoen on Tue, 04/07/06 - 5:53 AM Permalink

looks great and a bit scary seeing something of that scope without barrel distortion (looks like 2 point perspective?) but then again it is a pain to emulate it.

you presumably already know of the paper architect lebbeus woods who has the occasional fetish of modern gravity defying spaces and building shells.

like the transition of the colour in the layout too.

Posted by Rizo on

Hello everyone, i made this piece as a metal nap from the current project that I'm working on. I took some inspiration of french castles and LOTR of course , i wanted to explored the deep of a huge city, and i thought that make a floating city would be cool. For the color palete of the city i took reference of these Toscan towns in Italy. The original wide is 3800 Pixels so a few details got lost like robes hanging from the city...
Critics and comments are welcome.

[URL=http://imageshack.us][IMG]http://img133.imageshack.us/img133/4182/fortr…]

Submitted by MoonUnit on Mon, 26/06/06 - 8:29 PM Permalink

it defies all graivity and sense, hurts my brain and is really really awesome :P I know its great because i look at it and wonder what itd be like to be over there and how you'd get to there. Im allready immersed :)

Submitted by souri on Mon, 26/06/06 - 8:50 PM Permalink

Wow, incredible work with so much detail everywhere. But where are all the citizens or any sign of activity? [:D] It might be cliche perhaps, but I guess I'm used to seeing the crowds of people and all the floating cars that come with futuristic city scenes. It's probably not you were going for though. I think the buildings could be more distinguished from each other (more variations in architecture), with all the things that help better set them apart (signs, different shapes/window arrangements etc)- but then again, that's probably not the look you were going for either because what it has now definately has a certain feel associated to it, particularly with the buildings being alike and of similar earthy colour.

Submitted by Makk on Tue, 27/06/06 - 2:40 AM Permalink

Go Go Go Rizo!
I always look forward to your posts and this one is no exception. top stuff :)
Tiny crit would be to add some different coloured buildings. Like blue and grey and green, etc

Submitted by Rizo on Tue, 27/06/06 - 7:12 AM Permalink

Thank you guys for your comments, i'll put my hand to work in your critics to make some arragments before uploading the image in my online portfolio, About the building shapes, yeap.. i think i put too much effort in the floating city than the lower one... but i'll keep that in mind and the tonal colours variations, so again, Thanks Souri, Makk and MoonUnit for your replys :)

Submitted by Speculart on Sun, 02/07/06 - 1:00 PM Permalink

Whoa alot of work gone into that! What a great piece. I wouldnt be able to resist overlaying some stone textures and dirt which may add an extra element of realism. Top stuff.

Submitted by davidcoen on Tue, 04/07/06 - 5:53 AM Permalink

looks great and a bit scary seeing something of that scope without barrel distortion (looks like 2 point perspective?) but then again it is a pain to emulate it.

you presumably already know of the paper architect lebbeus woods who has the occasional fetish of modern gravity defying spaces and building shells.

like the transition of the colour in the layout too.