Skip to main content

Game Programmer job interview, any advice?

Submitted by Cm2 on

I got a job interview tomorrow at bluetongue.
Any advice?

Thanks [:)]

Submitted by DaMunkee on Wed, 26/05/04 - 12:41 PM Permalink

Bah, every company is different, so if you stess about preparing, then you'll just stress too much :) Just make sure you're all brushed up on C++ and OOP topics (my last... bunch... of interviews that's all they asked) if you're applying for something specific, like networking, understand things like star topography, client/server... etc...

Smile, let them know you're excited at the prospect of working there. Think of 1 joke to tell (hey, I've been asked a few times for a joke!) It's typically good to have a Political Correct Joke. If you haven't yet, read up on their company so you're at least familiar with their games. Be honest if you haven't played them when they ask. Actually, just be honest about everything. Example, if they ask you a question about some aspect of coding (Like what each position const can be in means) and you got them confused, say that. A lot can be said about a person who admits he doesn't know something. Of course, always follow up with something like "hmmm, but now I'm curious, I think I'll go look that up when I get back"

Good Luck Cm2! I'm sure you'll kick butt!!!!

Chris

Submitted by Cm2 on Wed, 26/05/04 - 6:47 PM Permalink

Thanks a lot for the advice DaMunkee[:)]

Submitted by MoonUnit on Wed, 26/05/04 - 8:45 PM Permalink

cant offer much in the way of advice myself but ill just say good luck!!!! hope for all the best :)

Submitted by CombatWombat on Wed, 26/05/04 - 9:11 PM Permalink

I'd go for gargling a vivid blue food dye before the interview, see if they notice ;-)

Yes, as DaMunkee says, it's very important to not guess at questions you don't know the answer to, but rather let them know you are not sure, then tell them how you'd go about finding out, or tell them how you'd reason that it would work. Because as an interviewer (software R&D industry rather than games) I found nothing set me against candidates more quickly than someone trying to spin some bs about an answer.

Hope your interview went well.

Submitted by Cm2 on Wed, 26/05/04 - 9:36 PM Permalink

Thank You Guys !
[:)]

Submitted by Kane on Wed, 26/05/04 - 10:29 PM Permalink

id like to side with MoonUnit and wish you the best of luck too...[:D]

remember...be yourself...[8]

Submitted by Rahnem on Wed, 26/05/04 - 10:43 PM Permalink

Just try to relax. Know that worrying about it isn't going to make matters better.

If anyone finds out how to do this, tell me how [;)]

Submitted by bullet21 on Thu, 27/05/04 - 2:01 AM Permalink

Good lucK to ya matey, you prolly dont need it though if you got to the interview stage :)

Submitted by tbag on Thu, 27/05/04 - 3:24 AM Permalink

I have two pet blue tongue lizards if that helps? Maybe rub them against yourself [:p]?

I think a joke like the gargling food dye like Wombat said might actually make them get a chuckle, and then again it might not, or just wear a tshirt stating 'I love blue tongues!', they make great pets, beleive me i know [:)].

But other then that, good luck!

Submitted by Cm2 on Thu, 27/05/04 - 4:27 AM Permalink

Thanks for all the help guys! The interview went OK. I showed all of my games that I made and after the interview I sat on a 90 minutes test mostly about 3D stuff and c++. I just hope I got the job.[:)]

Submitted by Kalescent on Thu, 27/05/04 - 5:09 AM Permalink

HEy Cm2 ! im sure you did fine! sorry didnt get time to wish you luck for you interview , but wish you luck for getting teh job now ! although i reckon youll get it no probs :) i had a look at yer games - quite impressive man! [:D]

Submitted by Cm2 on Thu, 27/05/04 - 5:46 AM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by HazarD

HEy Cm2 ! im sure you did fine! sorry didnt get time to wish you luck for you interview , but wish you luck for getting teh job now ! although i reckon youll get it no probs :) i had a look at yer games - quite impressive man! [:D]

Thanks Man. I have seen your new website as well nice one i like that logo and the name Kalescent Studios hope it will be a big studio.

Submitted by bullet21 on Thu, 27/05/04 - 6:03 PM Permalink

if i had a dollar for evertime i saw the word "man" in these forums man, i'd like be a millionaire man :P

Yer all a pack of neo-hippies man!

Submitted by palantir on Fri, 28/05/04 - 12:22 AM Permalink

bullet21:
Whoa, man... like... chill-out... man. (Hey, at least its better then "dude") [:D]
Better neo-hippie then neo-nazi :P

Cm2:
Goodluck to you Cm2! Let us know how you went. 90-minute test? How hard was it?

Submitted by bullet21 on Fri, 28/05/04 - 3:44 AM Permalink

YOoooooouu little smart ass Hazard, i'll give you something to man about, come here

I'll show you Urban Brawl come here god damn it.

Submitted by Kalescent on Fri, 28/05/04 - 4:04 AM Permalink

ROFL !! sorry cm2 a bit off topic - but i just couldnt resist! [:P]

Submitted by Kane on Fri, 28/05/04 - 6:34 PM Permalink

man this thread is getting out of hand...[;)]

Submitted by DaMunkee on Fri, 11/06/04 - 10:41 AM Permalink

Heard anything about the results of the interview yet?

Submitted by Cm2 on Sat, 26/06/04 - 7:25 PM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by DaMunkee

Yeah and it was not a good news. Apparently they are not looking for junior level but more experienced type.Well at least I got the interview.

Submitted by MoonUnit on Sat, 26/06/04 - 9:15 PM Permalink

sorry to hear it mate, but dw the future holds many more opportunities :)

Submitted by Kalescent on Sat, 26/06/04 - 10:44 PM Permalink

At least you got that far cm2.

Its funny, not mentioning any names, but I do know someone who rang up a dev company 2 times in one day, the first time he said something along the lines of "I dont have any industry experience, but i have a degree and have 2 years exp with max / photoshop" basically thinking industry experience meant working for a company - they said " yeah sorry mate, looking for someone with a bit more experience"

The second time, he rang up and said " Ive been working actively on a couple of mods for approximately 12 months, have a degree, and have been seeking more in depth industry work for quite some time, ive got this this and this yadda yadda" - they got him in for an interview straight away. [:)]

Just goes to show that changing your approach can get you that little bit further. He didnt get the job, but thats not really the point, i was trying to make. I think as long as someone is active in there approach, it will lead you that little bit further.

More opportunities will arise cm2 [:)]

Submitted by Cm2 on Sat, 26/06/04 - 11:00 PM Permalink

Just goes to show that changing your approach can get you that little bit further. He didnt get the job, but thats not really the point, i was trying to make. I think as long as someone is active in there approach, it will lead you that little bit further.

Yeah I will change my approach next time (this was my first job interview anyway)[:)]thanks for the advice HazarD

Posted by Cm2 on

I got a job interview tomorrow at bluetongue.
Any advice?

Thanks [:)]

Submitted by DaMunkee on Wed, 26/05/04 - 12:41 PM Permalink

Bah, every company is different, so if you stess about preparing, then you'll just stress too much :) Just make sure you're all brushed up on C++ and OOP topics (my last... bunch... of interviews that's all they asked) if you're applying for something specific, like networking, understand things like star topography, client/server... etc...

Smile, let them know you're excited at the prospect of working there. Think of 1 joke to tell (hey, I've been asked a few times for a joke!) It's typically good to have a Political Correct Joke. If you haven't yet, read up on their company so you're at least familiar with their games. Be honest if you haven't played them when they ask. Actually, just be honest about everything. Example, if they ask you a question about some aspect of coding (Like what each position const can be in means) and you got them confused, say that. A lot can be said about a person who admits he doesn't know something. Of course, always follow up with something like "hmmm, but now I'm curious, I think I'll go look that up when I get back"

Good Luck Cm2! I'm sure you'll kick butt!!!!

Chris

Submitted by Cm2 on Wed, 26/05/04 - 6:47 PM Permalink

Thanks a lot for the advice DaMunkee[:)]

Submitted by MoonUnit on Wed, 26/05/04 - 8:45 PM Permalink

cant offer much in the way of advice myself but ill just say good luck!!!! hope for all the best :)

Submitted by CombatWombat on Wed, 26/05/04 - 9:11 PM Permalink

I'd go for gargling a vivid blue food dye before the interview, see if they notice ;-)

Yes, as DaMunkee says, it's very important to not guess at questions you don't know the answer to, but rather let them know you are not sure, then tell them how you'd go about finding out, or tell them how you'd reason that it would work. Because as an interviewer (software R&D industry rather than games) I found nothing set me against candidates more quickly than someone trying to spin some bs about an answer.

Hope your interview went well.

Submitted by Cm2 on Wed, 26/05/04 - 9:36 PM Permalink

Thank You Guys !

Submitted by Kane on Wed, 26/05/04 - 10:29 PM Permalink

id like to side with MoonUnit and wish you the best of luck too...[:D]

remember...be yourself...[8]

Submitted by Rahnem on Wed, 26/05/04 - 10:43 PM Permalink

Just try to relax. Know that worrying about it isn't going to make matters better.

If anyone finds out how to do this, tell me how [;)]

Submitted by bullet21 on Thu, 27/05/04 - 2:01 AM Permalink

Good lucK to ya matey, you prolly dont need it though if you got to the interview stage :)

Submitted by tbag on Thu, 27/05/04 - 3:24 AM Permalink

I have two pet blue tongue lizards if that helps? Maybe rub them against yourself [:p]?

I think a joke like the gargling food dye like Wombat said might actually make them get a chuckle, and then again it might not, or just wear a tshirt stating 'I love blue tongues!', they make great pets, beleive me i know [:)].

But other then that, good luck!

Submitted by Cm2 on Thu, 27/05/04 - 4:27 AM Permalink

Thanks for all the help guys! The interview went OK. I showed all of my games that I made and after the interview I sat on a 90 minutes test mostly about 3D stuff and c++. I just hope I got the job.[:)]

Submitted by Kalescent on Thu, 27/05/04 - 5:09 AM Permalink

Submitted by Cm2 on Thu, 27/05/04 - 5:46 AM Permalink

Thanks Man. I have seen your new website as well nice one i like that logo and the name Kalescent Studios hope it will be a big studio.

Submitted by bullet21 on Thu, 27/05/04 - 6:03 PM Permalink

if i had a dollar for evertime i saw the word "man" in these forums man, i'd like be a millionaire man :P

Yer all a pack of neo-hippies man!

Submitted by palantir on Fri, 28/05/04 - 12:22 AM Permalink

bullet21:
Whoa, man... like... chill-out... man. (Hey, at least its better then "dude") [:D]
Better neo-hippie then neo-nazi :P

Cm2:
Goodluck to you Cm2! Let us know how you went. 90-minute test? How hard was it?

Submitted by bullet21 on Fri, 28/05/04 - 3:44 AM Permalink

YOoooooouu little smart ass Hazard, i'll give you something to man about, come here

I'll show you Urban Brawl come here god damn it.

Submitted by Kalescent on Fri, 28/05/04 - 4:04 AM Permalink

ROFL !! sorry cm2 a bit off topic - but i just couldnt resist! [:P]

Submitted by Kane on Fri, 28/05/04 - 6:34 PM Permalink

man this thread is getting out of hand...[;)]

Submitted by DaMunkee on Fri, 11/06/04 - 10:41 AM Permalink

Submitted by Cm2 on Sat, 26/06/04 - 7:25 PM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by DaMunkee

Yeah and it was not a good news. Apparently they are not looking for junior level but more experienced type.Well at least I got the interview.

Submitted by MoonUnit on Sat, 26/06/04 - 9:15 PM Permalink

sorry to hear it mate, but dw the future holds many more opportunities :)

Submitted by Kalescent on Sat, 26/06/04 - 10:44 PM Permalink

At least you got that far cm2.

Its funny, not mentioning any names, but I do know someone who rang up a dev company 2 times in one day, the first time he said something along the lines of "I dont have any industry experience, but i have a degree and have 2 years exp with max / photoshop" basically thinking industry experience meant working for a company - they said " yeah sorry mate, looking for someone with a bit more experience"

The second time, he rang up and said " Ive been working actively on a couple of mods for approximately 12 months, have a degree, and have been seeking more in depth industry work for quite some time, ive got this this and this yadda yadda" - they got him in for an interview straight away. [:)]

Submitted by Cm2 on Sat, 26/06/04 - 11:00 PM Permalink

Yeah I will change my approach next time (this was my first job interview anyway)[:)]thanks for the advice HazarD