Skip to main content

Putting together a team

Submitted by willk on

Hi All,

I'm shortly hoping to launch into a project to produce a game based on one of the not so expensive 3D engines (possibly Torque's Directx 9 engine).

I have a budget to employ some people full time, however, I am interested to hear how receptive programmers and designers are to a base salary + royalties type package. We intend to fund the project for at least 12 months before having something suitable to present to a publisher, and are looking at a relatively small full time team (maybe 4 people: 2 programmers (lead and medium) and 2 designers (with great folios in 3d art)). I already have access to a sound producer, concept artist and other staff I employ for existing non-related roles in my company for testing and to help out with detailed game design suggestions.

However, my budget doesn't stretch to the amounts suggested in the 'Job Salary Info' published at http://www.bigkid.com.au/2004/07/28/ambit_salary_survey/#more (which would amount to around $200k).

Obviously for anyone interested I will be providing a copy of the completed Game Concept document as anyone taking a position would need to believe in the project as the wage would not be sufficient in a 2 year project to justify spending that amount of time on it. The other option is to hire talented people who have just finished uni etc. looking for a break, however, I think for a project of this kind at the very least I need a Lead 3D Game Programmer with experience, and realistically a lead artist also with some experience (although a great folio in this respect may be enough).

Anyhow, I'd love to hear some thoughts from some Australians in the industry. I've been posting on a board in the US and got a lot of positive responses, but the industry here may be a little stronger than the industry in the US (as far as talented people vs positions available).

Thanks all,
- Will Kruss

Submitted by Gibbz on Thu, 26/08/04 - 2:55 AM Permalink

do you think a year is long enough?

Submitted by willk on Thu, 26/08/04 - 5:21 AM Permalink

I think in 12 months using an existing engine (e.g. not designing ones own engine), and with 5 full time people it's possible to produce something that is suitable to present to a publisher.

If it's not ready to present, we have a regular cash flow from our existing activities so can fund it for longer without publisher backing if we need to.

Thanks,
- Will

Posted by willk on

Hi All,

I'm shortly hoping to launch into a project to produce a game based on one of the not so expensive 3D engines (possibly Torque's Directx 9 engine).

I have a budget to employ some people full time, however, I am interested to hear how receptive programmers and designers are to a base salary + royalties type package. We intend to fund the project for at least 12 months before having something suitable to present to a publisher, and are looking at a relatively small full time team (maybe 4 people: 2 programmers (lead and medium) and 2 designers (with great folios in 3d art)). I already have access to a sound producer, concept artist and other staff I employ for existing non-related roles in my company for testing and to help out with detailed game design suggestions.

However, my budget doesn't stretch to the amounts suggested in the 'Job Salary Info' published at http://www.bigkid.com.au/2004/07/28/ambit_salary_survey/#more (which would amount to around $200k).

Obviously for anyone interested I will be providing a copy of the completed Game Concept document as anyone taking a position would need to believe in the project as the wage would not be sufficient in a 2 year project to justify spending that amount of time on it. The other option is to hire talented people who have just finished uni etc. looking for a break, however, I think for a project of this kind at the very least I need a Lead 3D Game Programmer with experience, and realistically a lead artist also with some experience (although a great folio in this respect may be enough).

Anyhow, I'd love to hear some thoughts from some Australians in the industry. I've been posting on a board in the US and got a lot of positive responses, but the industry here may be a little stronger than the industry in the US (as far as talented people vs positions available).

Thanks all,
- Will Kruss

Submitted by Gibbz on Thu, 26/08/04 - 2:55 AM Permalink

do you think a year is long enough?

Submitted by willk on Thu, 26/08/04 - 5:21 AM Permalink

I think in 12 months using an existing engine (e.g. not designing ones own engine), and with 5 full time people it's possible to produce something that is suitable to present to a publisher.

If it's not ready to present, we have a regular cash flow from our existing activities so can fund it for longer without publisher backing if we need to.

Thanks,
- Will