Skip to main content

Won't be seeing Doom3 this year..

Submitted by Major Clod on
Forum

[url]http://www.homelanfed.com/index.php?id=15762[/url]

Damn.. Hopefully HL2 doesn't follow suit. Its hard to say. On one hand you have Valve announcing the title after 5 years of work on it, so you'd think they'd only do that if they were sure that it was ready. But on the other hand you have Valves not so good track record of delays... HL, TF2, etc...

Submitted by Doord on Fri, 25/07/03 - 2:19 AM Permalink

We should all know by now, games don't make it to market these day.

Submitted by souri on Fri, 25/07/03 - 11:42 AM Permalink

..and Counterstrike! Still waiting to see how the riot shield is like!

John Carmack had said that Doom 3 was expected to be out before E3 this year. [:(].. I would have thought they'd release before the lucrative Christmas timeslot.

Submitted by Meatex Salami on Fri, 25/07/03 - 7:27 PM Permalink

on a more important game delay :) j/k
Deus Ex 2 has been bumped from Oct to Dec now
thats annoying
but as far as i know HL2 is still headed for a Nov release
And i think because of there track record and the fans valve are going to really go for an on time release

Submitted by Malus on Fri, 25/07/03 - 7:43 PM Permalink

As long as Halflife 2 out on time its cool with me, kind of want to stagger the cash flow out of my wallet anyhoo. [:P]

Submitted by redwyre on Fri, 25/07/03 - 8:59 PM Permalink

HL2 in november? I though september? (available on preorder now)

Those americans and their funky date format

Submitted by Ninja on Fri, 25/07/03 - 9:11 PM Permalink

HAHAHA i think Carmack shit himself after seeing the Half life 2 engine in action ( hes gotta make doom 3 better [:)] although it is already impressive...) LMAO.. but i still think hes one mad programmer, considering valve had heaps of programmers working on their HL2 engine

Submitted by Doord on Fri, 25/07/03 - 10:25 PM Permalink

Engine wise HL2 don't come close to that of Doom 3. But HL 2 is the better game but.

I could go into why Doom 3 engione is better, the was a numbers of thing that our Render programer pointed out to me and after he said about three things (that were crap and wrogn about it) he said engine not all that good and that have done well in fating lighting and a lot of other stuff.

Submitted by Strik3r on Fri, 25/07/03 - 11:40 PM Permalink

Half of the rendering time in Doom 3 is the shadows.... HL2 doesnt put nearly as much effort into them, and therefore doesn't quite look as realistic. but the HL2 models (especially the facial animations) are amazing. i intend on purchasing both games, cause i think they are both gonna rock.

Submitted by Doord on Sat, 26/07/03 - 12:13 AM Permalink

this stuff can be found in the doom engine also, but the way which half has went about time is much better.

Submitted by Ninja on Sat, 26/07/03 - 12:17 AM Permalink

graphics wise doom 3 looks damn good...... but game play no one knows ??? to me half life 2 seemed pretty good game play because of the AI and interactivity and physics [:D] but i dunno i dont work in the games industry most of u guys know more than me [:D]

Submitted by redwyre on Sat, 26/07/03 - 7:43 AM Permalink

Remeber when gameplay was most important?

I think I'll only be getting HL2.

Submitted by shiva on Sat, 26/07/03 - 8:33 AM Permalink

i think ill reserve my judgement until ive given em both a go...
but right now im leaning heavily towards hl2 aswell

Submitted by Maitrek on Mon, 28/07/03 - 9:52 AM Permalink

I doubt it's because id are crapping themselves about half life 2's graphics (although they could be). Doom 3 is a far more revolutionary graphics engine than HL2s, it's the next step as far as I'm concerned from a visual perspective (despite people's gripes, I'm sorry it's just far more powerful). However HL2 looks like adding in some fairly neat tech in other areas which should have been done a long time ago as well...

Forum

[url]http://www.homelanfed.com/index.php?id=15762[/url]

Damn.. Hopefully HL2 doesn't follow suit. Its hard to say. On one hand you have Valve announcing the title after 5 years of work on it, so you'd think they'd only do that if they were sure that it was ready. But on the other hand you have Valves not so good track record of delays... HL, TF2, etc...

Submitted by Doord on Fri, 25/07/03 - 2:19 AM Permalink

We should all know by now, games don't make it to market these day.

Submitted by souri on Fri, 25/07/03 - 11:42 AM Permalink

..and Counterstrike! Still waiting to see how the riot shield is like!

John Carmack had said that Doom 3 was expected to be out before E3 this year. [:(].. I would have thought they'd release before the lucrative Christmas timeslot.

Submitted by Meatex Salami on Fri, 25/07/03 - 7:27 PM Permalink

on a more important game delay :) j/k
Deus Ex 2 has been bumped from Oct to Dec now
thats annoying
but as far as i know HL2 is still headed for a Nov release
And i think because of there track record and the fans valve are going to really go for an on time release

Submitted by Malus on Fri, 25/07/03 - 7:43 PM Permalink

As long as Halflife 2 out on time its cool with me, kind of want to stagger the cash flow out of my wallet anyhoo. [:P]

Submitted by redwyre on Fri, 25/07/03 - 8:59 PM Permalink

HL2 in november? I though september? (available on preorder now)

Those americans and their funky date format

Submitted by Ninja on Fri, 25/07/03 - 9:11 PM Permalink

HAHAHA i think Carmack shit himself after seeing the Half life 2 engine in action ( hes gotta make doom 3 better [:)] although it is already impressive...) LMAO.. but i still think hes one mad programmer, considering valve had heaps of programmers working on their HL2 engine

Submitted by Doord on Fri, 25/07/03 - 10:25 PM Permalink

Engine wise HL2 don't come close to that of Doom 3. But HL 2 is the better game but.

I could go into why Doom 3 engione is better, the was a numbers of thing that our Render programer pointed out to me and after he said about three things (that were crap and wrogn about it) he said engine not all that good and that have done well in fating lighting and a lot of other stuff.

Submitted by Strik3r on Fri, 25/07/03 - 11:40 PM Permalink

Half of the rendering time in Doom 3 is the shadows.... HL2 doesnt put nearly as much effort into them, and therefore doesn't quite look as realistic. but the HL2 models (especially the facial animations) are amazing. i intend on purchasing both games, cause i think they are both gonna rock.

Submitted by Doord on Sat, 26/07/03 - 12:13 AM Permalink

this stuff can be found in the doom engine also, but the way which half has went about time is much better.

Submitted by Ninja on Sat, 26/07/03 - 12:17 AM Permalink

graphics wise doom 3 looks damn good...... but game play no one knows ??? to me half life 2 seemed pretty good game play because of the AI and interactivity and physics [:D] but i dunno i dont work in the games industry most of u guys know more than me [:D]

Submitted by redwyre on Sat, 26/07/03 - 7:43 AM Permalink

Remeber when gameplay was most important?

I think I'll only be getting HL2.

Submitted by shiva on Sat, 26/07/03 - 8:33 AM Permalink

i think ill reserve my judgement until ive given em both a go...
but right now im leaning heavily towards hl2 aswell

Submitted by Maitrek on Mon, 28/07/03 - 9:52 AM Permalink

I doubt it's because id are crapping themselves about half life 2's graphics (although they could be). Doom 3 is a far more revolutionary graphics engine than HL2s, it's the next step as far as I'm concerned from a visual perspective (despite people's gripes, I'm sorry it's just far more powerful). However HL2 looks like adding in some fairly neat tech in other areas which should have been done a long time ago as well...