Skip to main content

3d furniture

Submitted by Angel on

Just finished modeling my first 3d couch - gonna make a whole collection of furniture.
It isn't textured yet.

Edit:

Just made a coffee table to go with it - not textured yet either.

Edit 2:

Haven't up'd the poly count on the couch yet, just made some more stuff to go with it.

Edit 3:

Added a bookshelf. I wanna add some plants and decorative pieces, like vases and a rug or something next.

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Sat, 26/04/08 - 10:39 AM Permalink

Solid start Angel, a few things you might want to look at:

on the coffee table it looks like the outer edges are perfectly cut. For more realism you might want to add a small chamfer, even 1mm will take the sharp edge off (i wouldn't want to catch my leg on those corners).

Are you limited by the number of poly's u can use? If not, you might want to add more to the curves on the sofa for a more smoother appearance.

Good work.

Submitted by threedninja on Sat, 26/04/08 - 10:45 AM Permalink

Solid start Angel, they should look awesome once textured. A few things I noticed:

The corners on the coffee table look very sharp, you could add a chamfer, even 1mm would do (those corners look deadly).

Are you limited by the number of poly's you can use? If not, you could think about adding more to the smoothing of the sofa to reduce the number of flat faces on the curves of the cushions and back rest.

Good work.

Submitted by Angel on Sat, 26/04/08 - 5:22 PM Permalink

Thanks heaps threedninja :)

I'll chamfer the coffee table and smooth out the sofa a bit - I don't really have any poly limits, it's just for fun. Show you the results soon.

Submitted by Angel on Sun, 27/04/08 - 12:27 PM Permalink

So, I haven't added more polys to the sofa, but I did chamfer the coffee table, made some side tables and lamps, added some walls/roof + lights, plus the insets with lights on the wall. Still untextured - after I'm done with having some modeling fun, my BF's gonna teach me to UV, then to do the whole texturing thing.. so til then!

Submitted by Angel on Sun, 27/04/08 - 10:12 PM Permalink

Added a shelf too. Any suggestions for what else to add, other than plants?

Submitted by threedninja on Fri, 02/05/08 - 9:51 PM Permalink

Hi Angel,

Those changes look great, a few things to consider; add some bump maps to all of your materials (even a flat painted wall still has the roller marks and imperfections in the wall). Bump maps help to add inexpensive realism to your 3D models.

Add in any props that make the room looked lived in, that a human is/was in the room. Maybe put a coffee mug on the table with a couple of magazines. A painting on the wall, a few nick knacks on the shelving units. The sky is the limit really. Try a google image search for interior design display rooms to get inspiration for your props.

Posted by Angel on

Just finished modeling my first 3d couch - gonna make a whole collection of furniture.
It isn't textured yet.

Edit:

Just made a coffee table to go with it - not textured yet either.

Edit 2:

Haven't up'd the poly count on the couch yet, just made some more stuff to go with it.

Edit 3:

Added a bookshelf. I wanna add some plants and decorative pieces, like vases and a rug or something next.

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Sat, 26/04/08 - 10:39 AM Permalink

Solid start Angel, a few things you might want to look at:

on the coffee table it looks like the outer edges are perfectly cut. For more realism you might want to add a small chamfer, even 1mm will take the sharp edge off (i wouldn't want to catch my leg on those corners).

Are you limited by the number of poly's u can use? If not, you might want to add more to the curves on the sofa for a more smoother appearance.

Good work.

Submitted by threedninja on Sat, 26/04/08 - 10:45 AM Permalink

Solid start Angel, they should look awesome once textured. A few things I noticed:

The corners on the coffee table look very sharp, you could add a chamfer, even 1mm would do (those corners look deadly).

Are you limited by the number of poly's you can use? If not, you could think about adding more to the smoothing of the sofa to reduce the number of flat faces on the curves of the cushions and back rest.

Good work.

Submitted by Angel on Sat, 26/04/08 - 5:22 PM Permalink

Thanks heaps threedninja :)

I'll chamfer the coffee table and smooth out the sofa a bit - I don't really have any poly limits, it's just for fun. Show you the results soon.

Submitted by Angel on Sun, 27/04/08 - 12:27 PM Permalink

So, I haven't added more polys to the sofa, but I did chamfer the coffee table, made some side tables and lamps, added some walls/roof + lights, plus the insets with lights on the wall. Still untextured - after I'm done with having some modeling fun, my BF's gonna teach me to UV, then to do the whole texturing thing.. so til then!

Submitted by Angel on Sun, 27/04/08 - 10:12 PM Permalink

Added a shelf too. Any suggestions for what else to add, other than plants?

Submitted by threedninja on Fri, 02/05/08 - 9:51 PM Permalink

Hi Angel,

Those changes look great, a few things to consider; add some bump maps to all of your materials (even a flat painted wall still has the roller marks and imperfections in the wall). Bump maps help to add inexpensive realism to your 3D models.

Add in any props that make the room looked lived in, that a human is/was in the room. Maybe put a coffee mug on the table with a couple of magazines. A painting on the wall, a few nick knacks on the shelving units. The sky is the limit really. Try a google image search for interior design display rooms to get inspiration for your props.