Skip to main content

A little help?

Submitted by Falco on
Forum

Hello all.

Im just wondering if someone out there may be able to help me? I bought Neverwinter Nights: Platinum Edition yesterday and installed it last night, but every time I start a new game and run around in the first room, my computer restarts on me. It does not tell me there has been an error and I can't for the life of me work out whats going on.

This also happened a while back while I was playing KOTOR and now it's realy starting to give me the shits. Im running Windows XP, my computer specs are up to date and I've got DirectX 9.0c. If any body else has experienced this problem or knows of a solution please let me know if you could.

Thanx.

Submitted by davidcoen on Tue, 26/04/05 - 2:16 AM Permalink

this started happening to me a while ago, and then at work too, where i would play a game for a few minutes, and then the machine would quit the app, or reboot.

we checked the ram, changed video cards, did full diagnostics, and found no problems.

a lot of modern machines seem to cut the case cooling a bit fine, and tend not to report errors caused by this very well. My machine at work has now run with the case open for nearly a year without these problems happening again. people look at my funny when i try to tell them about these 'overheating' crashes, but, to me at least, they are real.

Submitted by palantir on Tue, 26/04/05 - 3:34 AM Permalink

I?ve also had problems with my computer spontaneously rebooting while playing a game, which has turned out to be caused by overheating (I think). Though Neverwinter Nights really shouldn?t be causing the system to overheat, it?s usually things like Doom 3 or Half Life 2. What kind of system is it? Can you run more powerful games with no problems?

Anyway, a possible solution is to buy a better case with a large power supply. That?s how I fixed my system at least.

Also, I?ve read that modern computers supposedly run cooler with the case ON because they are designed for a specific air flow that doesn?t happen with the case removed, but everyone has there own theories about that.

Submitted by Falco on Tue, 26/04/05 - 3:49 AM Permalink

My system is a Pentium 4 with 2.93GHz, 512MB and the video card is an ATI Radeon X300 SE 128MB.

Doom III, Half life 2 and FarCry all ran fine even during the middle of summer and I only have a fan in this room. It seems to be some of the slightly older games.

Submitted by souri on Tue, 26/04/05 - 3:52 AM Permalink

My computer used to reset quite often until I cleaned out all the gunk and dust accumulated in the cpu fan...

Submitted by Kezza on Tue, 26/04/05 - 3:54 AM Permalink

I had alot of BSOD crashes in ut2004 with some old nvidia drivers, try updating video card drivers.
It could be the problem... i know it's just a stab in the dark though.

Submitted by lorien on Wed, 27/04/05 - 2:34 AM Permalink

NWN is very heat sensitive for some reason (imho it is very wierd having some programs that are more sensitive to a hot CPU than others). Take the side off the case, and aim a desk fan in at it. I've recently noticed that running a decent GPU on a small PSU (i.e. < 400 watts) makes the PSU get really, really hot, which in turn heats up the air inside the case, which in turn makes the CPU overheat.

Submitted by Falco on Wed, 27/04/05 - 2:44 AM Permalink

After a bit of searching I found out what the problem was. Some people on the NWN forum had the same problem, and apparently it's got do with my sound card. I've got a Realtek High Definition thingy, and these other guys have the same thing.

After alot of wasted time looking for a new driver, I just turned off the Enable Hardware Sound option in the game and that seems to have fixed it (for now).

Thanx for everybodys help though.

Posted by Falco on
Forum

Hello all.

Im just wondering if someone out there may be able to help me? I bought Neverwinter Nights: Platinum Edition yesterday and installed it last night, but every time I start a new game and run around in the first room, my computer restarts on me. It does not tell me there has been an error and I can't for the life of me work out whats going on.

This also happened a while back while I was playing KOTOR and now it's realy starting to give me the shits. Im running Windows XP, my computer specs are up to date and I've got DirectX 9.0c. If any body else has experienced this problem or knows of a solution please let me know if you could.

Thanx.

Submitted by davidcoen on Tue, 26/04/05 - 2:16 AM Permalink

this started happening to me a while ago, and then at work too, where i would play a game for a few minutes, and then the machine would quit the app, or reboot.

we checked the ram, changed video cards, did full diagnostics, and found no problems.

a lot of modern machines seem to cut the case cooling a bit fine, and tend not to report errors caused by this very well. My machine at work has now run with the case open for nearly a year without these problems happening again. people look at my funny when i try to tell them about these 'overheating' crashes, but, to me at least, they are real.

Submitted by palantir on Tue, 26/04/05 - 3:34 AM Permalink

I?ve also had problems with my computer spontaneously rebooting while playing a game, which has turned out to be caused by overheating (I think). Though Neverwinter Nights really shouldn?t be causing the system to overheat, it?s usually things like Doom 3 or Half Life 2. What kind of system is it? Can you run more powerful games with no problems?

Anyway, a possible solution is to buy a better case with a large power supply. That?s how I fixed my system at least.

Also, I?ve read that modern computers supposedly run cooler with the case ON because they are designed for a specific air flow that doesn?t happen with the case removed, but everyone has there own theories about that.

Submitted by Falco on Tue, 26/04/05 - 3:49 AM Permalink

My system is a Pentium 4 with 2.93GHz, 512MB and the video card is an ATI Radeon X300 SE 128MB.

Doom III, Half life 2 and FarCry all ran fine even during the middle of summer and I only have a fan in this room. It seems to be some of the slightly older games.

Submitted by souri on Tue, 26/04/05 - 3:52 AM Permalink

My computer used to reset quite often until I cleaned out all the gunk and dust accumulated in the cpu fan...

Submitted by Kezza on Tue, 26/04/05 - 3:54 AM Permalink

I had alot of BSOD crashes in ut2004 with some old nvidia drivers, try updating video card drivers.
It could be the problem... i know it's just a stab in the dark though.

Submitted by lorien on Wed, 27/04/05 - 2:34 AM Permalink

NWN is very heat sensitive for some reason (imho it is very wierd having some programs that are more sensitive to a hot CPU than others). Take the side off the case, and aim a desk fan in at it. I've recently noticed that running a decent GPU on a small PSU (i.e. < 400 watts) makes the PSU get really, really hot, which in turn heats up the air inside the case, which in turn makes the CPU overheat.

Submitted by Falco on Wed, 27/04/05 - 2:44 AM Permalink

After a bit of searching I found out what the problem was. Some people on the NWN forum had the same problem, and apparently it's got do with my sound card. I've got a Realtek High Definition thingy, and these other guys have the same thing.

After alot of wasted time looking for a new driver, I just turned off the Enable Hardware Sound option in the game and that seems to have fixed it (for now).

Thanx for everybodys help though.