Skip to main content

pop ups

Submitted by bullet21 on
Forum

i have this problem where every now and then my homepage gets changed to ssome website named findyourwebsite.com. I also get a lot of pop ups when i change pages or something. Anyone know how to stop this. I have spybot but it doesn't do much.

Submitted by MoonUnit on Thu, 25/03/04 - 7:49 AM Permalink

its not spyware, its whats called a hijacker.

Start by locating and downloading hijackthis, its a program which identifys possible files on your computer that could be the hijacker, do not however delete anything (there are important files that will be identified as possible hijackers in that search), post your log on http://forum.tweakxp.com/forum/forum_posts_view.asp?TID=8675 and someone there will tell you what to delete and advise you further.

i had the same problem myself once so thats why i know :P it might help to visit windows update aswell and make sure you have some sort of firewall running

Submitted by Shplorb on Thu, 25/03/04 - 9:28 PM Permalink

Simple. First, download and run AdAware. Secondly, download Firefox from mozilla.org and use that instead of IE. Mmmm... tabs, popup blocking and standards compliance.

Apologies if you already do this.

Submitted by DaMunkee on Fri, 26/03/04 - 1:08 PM Permalink

I would suggest Ad-aware from lavasoft as well. So far that free program has been the best at ridding my computer with annoying "ad-ware." Although I've never had a hijacker so who knows. In a related note, in terms of blocking popups, I've found the Google Toolbar is freak'n sweet for this! Plus Google is my main search engine anyways so the convinience plus the popup blocker makes it a winning combination in my book :)

Good luck getting rid of it though.

Submitted by bullet21 on Fri, 26/03/04 - 8:16 PM Permalink

yup, i got adaware and haven't had any probs since.

Posted by bullet21 on
Forum

i have this problem where every now and then my homepage gets changed to ssome website named findyourwebsite.com. I also get a lot of pop ups when i change pages or something. Anyone know how to stop this. I have spybot but it doesn't do much.

Submitted by MoonUnit on Thu, 25/03/04 - 7:49 AM Permalink

its not spyware, its whats called a hijacker.

Start by locating and downloading hijackthis, its a program which identifys possible files on your computer that could be the hijacker, do not however delete anything (there are important files that will be identified as possible hijackers in that search), post your log on http://forum.tweakxp.com/forum/forum_posts_view.asp?TID=8675 and someone there will tell you what to delete and advise you further.

i had the same problem myself once so thats why i know :P it might help to visit windows update aswell and make sure you have some sort of firewall running

Submitted by Shplorb on Thu, 25/03/04 - 9:28 PM Permalink

Simple. First, download and run AdAware. Secondly, download Firefox from mozilla.org and use that instead of IE. Mmmm... tabs, popup blocking and standards compliance.

Apologies if you already do this.

Submitted by DaMunkee on Fri, 26/03/04 - 1:08 PM Permalink

I would suggest Ad-aware from lavasoft as well. So far that free program has been the best at ridding my computer with annoying "ad-ware." Although I've never had a hijacker so who knows. In a related note, in terms of blocking popups, I've found the Google Toolbar is freak'n sweet for this! Plus Google is my main search engine anyways so the convinience plus the popup blocker makes it a winning combination in my book :)

Good luck getting rid of it though.

Submitted by bullet21 on Fri, 26/03/04 - 8:16 PM Permalink

yup, i got adaware and haven't had any probs since.