Skip to main content

Interior Scene

Submitted by Lloyd on

Hey Guys,

Have just done this scene over the last 2 days. Thought I would give an interior scene a shot. I have much to learn about lighting. It's definitely a subject I wish to pursue furthur in my work.

The pop art was just taken from google searches.

All comments/crits welcome. I'm sure there will be some things that need a tweak.

Cheers.

[IMG]http://img521.imageshack.us/img521/6190/interiorsplash8005ch.jpg[/IMG]

Submitted by Makk on Sat, 25/02/06 - 10:11 AM Permalink

Looks good. The modelling of objects looks well done.
The lighting is good, though this is more of a personal taste then a critique, the lighting is abit bright. You might want to play with softening the ligthing and creating some more shadows in there.
Looks good how it is though :)
Whats the poly and texture stats?

Submitted by LiveWire on Sat, 25/02/06 - 10:22 AM Permalink

yes looks good, definatly agree about the lighting though, a bit more intense than usual, clearly seen from the hotspot in the centre of the floor, which might be a little shiny too - not that there couldnt be a floor that shiny, it's just that i wouldn't want to try and walk on it while wearing socks.

Submitted by Lloyd on Tue, 28/02/06 - 1:15 AM Permalink

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the comments!

I will post a new render in the days to come. The lighting is probably a bit too bright and the floor could do with a little less shine.

In terms of the polys and textures Makk, the scene is roughly 6000 and textures are shared between standard max materials (just things like the couch)and a few photosourced objects like the remote. No textures over 512x512.
Cheers.

Submitted by mcdrewski on Tue, 28/02/06 - 2:50 AM Permalink

I'm no artist, but I do spend all day looking at interior scenes :)

That's excellent work, the floor's typically "real-estate-glamour photo" polished to within an inch of it's life which is actually not unrealistic. Your skirting board is casting some slightly odd shadows though, I'm not sure what the profile of it is, but it looks quite unusual. The remote's also a bit flat-looking (it doesn't look thick enough to have batteries in it!) but that's probably not a mistake - only wishful thinking :)

I've attached a quick shot from [url="http://www.myvirtualhome.com.au"]MyVirtualHome[/url] which I knocked up in a few minutes. if you're interested in mucking around with lighting of interior scenes this is a pretty quick way to do that...

[img]icon_paperclip.gif[/img] Download Attachment: [url="http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/mcdrewski/2006226234933_Screensh…"]Screenshot047.jpg[/url]
139.58 KB

Submitted by Lloyd on Tue, 28/02/06 - 3:06 AM Permalink

Hi mcdrewski,

Thanks for the comments! Do you work at MyVirtualHome? I just applied for a job there.

I believe the skirting board is casting those shadows due to the fact that it is T Style skirting whereby the edging at the top overhangs the rest. In terms of the remotes thickness, I'm basing it on my DVD remote which is very slimline with super small batteries. It can easily be fattened up though :).

Thanks again.

Posted by Lloyd on

Hey Guys,

Have just done this scene over the last 2 days. Thought I would give an interior scene a shot. I have much to learn about lighting. It's definitely a subject I wish to pursue furthur in my work.

The pop art was just taken from google searches.

All comments/crits welcome. I'm sure there will be some things that need a tweak.

Cheers.

[IMG]http://img521.imageshack.us/img521/6190/interiorsplash8005ch.jpg[/IMG]

Submitted by Makk on Sat, 25/02/06 - 10:11 AM Permalink

Looks good. The modelling of objects looks well done.
The lighting is good, though this is more of a personal taste then a critique, the lighting is abit bright. You might want to play with softening the ligthing and creating some more shadows in there.
Looks good how it is though :)
Whats the poly and texture stats?

Submitted by LiveWire on Sat, 25/02/06 - 10:22 AM Permalink

yes looks good, definatly agree about the lighting though, a bit more intense than usual, clearly seen from the hotspot in the centre of the floor, which might be a little shiny too - not that there couldnt be a floor that shiny, it's just that i wouldn't want to try and walk on it while wearing socks.

Submitted by Lloyd on Tue, 28/02/06 - 1:15 AM Permalink

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the comments!

I will post a new render in the days to come. The lighting is probably a bit too bright and the floor could do with a little less shine.

In terms of the polys and textures Makk, the scene is roughly 6000 and textures are shared between standard max materials (just things like the couch)and a few photosourced objects like the remote. No textures over 512x512.
Cheers.

Submitted by mcdrewski on Tue, 28/02/06 - 2:50 AM Permalink

I'm no artist, but I do spend all day looking at interior scenes :)

That's excellent work, the floor's typically "real-estate-glamour photo" polished to within an inch of it's life which is actually not unrealistic. Your skirting board is casting some slightly odd shadows though, I'm not sure what the profile of it is, but it looks quite unusual. The remote's also a bit flat-looking (it doesn't look thick enough to have batteries in it!) but that's probably not a mistake - only wishful thinking :)

I've attached a quick shot from [url="http://www.myvirtualhome.com.au"]MyVirtualHome[/url] which I knocked up in a few minutes. if you're interested in mucking around with lighting of interior scenes this is a pretty quick way to do that...

[img]icon_paperclip.gif[/img] Download Attachment: [url="http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/mcdrewski/2006226234933_Screensh…"]Screenshot047.jpg[/url]
139.58 KB

Submitted by Lloyd on Tue, 28/02/06 - 3:06 AM Permalink

Hi mcdrewski,

Thanks for the comments! Do you work at MyVirtualHome? I just applied for a job there.

I believe the skirting board is casting those shadows due to the fact that it is T Style skirting whereby the edging at the top overhangs the rest. In terms of the remotes thickness, I'm basing it on my DVD remote which is very slimline with super small batteries. It can easily be fattened up though :).

Thanks again.