Skip to main content

Astro Boy Toys

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on
Forum
Submitted by Johnn on Wed, 25/02/04 - 11:00 AM Permalink

Astro Boy toys are so wasted on kids ! Its a pity that the full Astro-culture isn't brought to Australia. Apparently there was a travelling Astroboy exhibition in Japan last year. Sounded very cool (not surprisingly.)

Submitted by bullet21 on Wed, 25/02/04 - 6:14 PM Permalink

quote:Astro Boy toys are so wasted on kids !

Not True, it came out when i was like 4 or 5 years old and i absolutely loved it, i have my a collection of astroboy merchandise. I used to get up really early in the morning to watch it, i think it was on agro's cartoon connection. It is still one of my fav. manga cartoons along with DBZ of course.
[8] <-- look it's picolo

Submitted by Makk on Thu, 26/02/04 - 7:50 AM Permalink

Astro Boy is coming back on Austar/Foxtell :)

Submitted by souri on Thu, 26/02/04 - 12:04 PM Permalink

DAMNIT!!! *curses for not having cable TV*.. My friend has seen some of the new episodes but he says it just doesn't have the same feel as the 80's Astro Boy.
Those toys look cool [:)] I don't know about the new Atlas though. I thought the old one was much cooler!
Does anyone remember those tv ads that Siren did to promote the Astro Boy series coming out on VHS? There was a middle aged guy who wore gumboots, shiny undies, and a black cap with spikes. In one of the ads, he was just checking himself out in the mirror, and in another, he was pretending to jump in the air. It was damn funny [:)]

Submitted by Aven on Thu, 26/02/04 - 8:06 PM Permalink

Foxtel isn't always cable. We have satellite, and soon it is going to phone line based (for the digital service).

I haven't seen anything about the new Astro Boy yet. I will make sure I keep an eye open so i can see what it is like. The new TMNT was rather... bland. The new He-Man is actually quite well done, and is one of my favourites of the re-makes.

I remember those ads Souri. They were pretty funny. The Astro Boy vids were the second thing I ever bought with my first job :) I wonder if they will be released on DVD...

Submitted by tbag on Fri, 27/02/04 - 2:48 AM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by Aven

Foxtel isn't always cable. We have satellite, and soon it is going to phone line based (for the digital service).

I haven't seen anything about the new Astro Boy yet. I will make sure I keep an eye open so i can see what it is like. The new TMNT was rather... bland. The new He-Man is actually quite well done, and is one of my favourites of the re-makes.

I remember those ads Souri. They were pretty funny. The Astro Boy vids were the second thing I ever bought with my first job :) I wonder if they will be released on DVD...

Well... the astroboy movie rebirth was out in Japan this year or last year and it should be coming out here on DVD. Generally when a old movie/show comes back, the old stuff is pumped right back on the shelves [:D]. But im pretty sure MadMan.com.au or some other Aussie company announced they were going to launch the original astroboy series back on DVD.

Good old astroboy :D.

Submitted by inglis on Fri, 27/02/04 - 2:52 AM Permalink

when will Super Ted be coming back??? haha

When he was made, They found something wrong with him, And threw him away like a piece of rubbish
into an old dark storeroom, Then, from out of space, A spotty man brought him to life with his cosmic dust,
He took him to a magic cloud, Where mother nature gave him special powers. That bear became SUPER TED!

[img]http://www.vivaciousweb.com/cartoons/superted8.jpg[/img]

[8D]

Submitted by tbag on Fri, 27/02/04 - 3:03 AM Permalink

Heh. I remember SuperTed, when i was in like Year 5 it was shown on ABC as a quick 'fill-in' show.

But none the less there are several websites where you can download episodes of them :p if i mentioned the links im sure i would get flamed for it (But im sure some of these 20 year old shows wouldnt have copyright laws anymore or the studios would be dead).

Anyhow, the old shows were good.

On that often comes to my mind is GI Joe and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (Now being milked a second time).

Submitted by inglis on Fri, 27/02/04 - 3:11 AM Permalink

Copyright is active until the creator/copyright holder has been dead for 50 or 70 years I believe. (I think they are changing/changed to 70.)
I was only joking - I dont think Ill try and track down old Super Ted episodes.

Little Copyright story I was told about when learning the fundamentals of copyright-

Peter Pan- the rights were held by a Children hospital in England. The 50 years was almost up and the rights would have become public domain. The hospital approached their government saying if it happends they will have to kick back in with the funding. So they altered the law saying that the rights for Peter Pan would never be public domain. Something like that, never checked it out. But I guess thats true.
Sort of fitting for the boy that never grows up.

Submitted by MoonUnit on Fri, 27/02/04 - 5:15 AM Permalink

OMG i remember super ted, man i used to love that show :P

flies throught the aiiir like a string on a beaaaaar suuuuper teeeeeed! suuuuuper teeeeed! SUPER TED!

Submitted by inglis on Fri, 27/02/04 - 5:28 AM Permalink

Do you remember BananaMan?!?

[edit]sorry...have sort of hijacked this thread.

Submitted by bullet21 on Fri, 27/02/04 - 6:28 AM Permalink

hahaha Yes, i remember banana man, another ABC fill in show, and his sworn enemy apple man.
What about Roger Ramjet?

Submitted by bullet21 on Fri, 27/02/04 - 7:34 AM Permalink

Hahaha, Inglis where you gettin all dis from. It takes me back to year 9 when we used to have remembarance sesions in class about old tv shows. Hers another one Victor and Hugo

Submitted by Aven on Fri, 27/02/04 - 8:31 AM Permalink

On the subject of old cartoons that need to be put on DVD...

Samurai Pizza Cats
http://www.two4u.com/pizzacats/
http://www.tvtome.com/SamuraiPizzaCats/
I have heard word, that it will be released on DVD :D

Freakazoid
http://www.tvtome.com/Freakazoid/
Still one of the best American animated series of all time.

Animaniacs
http://www.tvtome.com/tvtome/servlet/ShowMainServlet/showid-2077/
Nothing beat the countries of the world anthem, sung to the Mexican Hat Dance.

Submitted by Johnn on Fri, 27/02/04 - 11:25 AM Permalink

On the copyright thing- i think Disney did something similar with MickyMouse. They managed to change the copyright laws to avoid Micky becoming Public domain.

Submitted by Makk on Sat, 28/02/04 - 3:58 AM Permalink

Superted!! I was a huge Super Ted fan, had some of hte books too. :D

Submitted by TheBigJ on Sat, 28/02/04 - 4:04 AM Permalink

Super Ted!
Banana Man!
Roger Ramjet!
Samurai Pizza Cats!

So many memories...

Submitted by tbag on Sat, 28/02/04 - 4:29 AM Permalink

What about Sumea.com.au? So many old memories of that site... but the owner of it, Souri i think his name was seemed to hate everyone who visited the site [:p].

Freakaziod was rather funny, i'll give it that.

Submitted by MoonUnit on Sat, 28/02/04 - 5:29 AM Permalink

"haha yeah. i remember it but wasnt much of a fan, the intro music pissed me off to much."

lol right on the money there, it was the same for me :P

Submitted by souri on Sat, 28/02/04 - 4:08 PM Permalink

Astro Boy, Tansformers, Ulysses 31, Voltron... Now THEY were real cartoons worth watching [:)].. They were epics, told some great stories, and really got your imagination going! Cartoons like Banana Man were fun, but they were just filler for something on next. [:)] I've got happy memories of watching G-Force and Starblazer as well. What is it with Japanese anime? They were just miles better than what their Western counterparts were doing (He-man, Mask etc). They didn't dumb down their stories or expect their audience to be complete morons...

I kinda regret never catching all of Robotech on tv. That seemed like a seriously kick ass series, but the darn commercial TV stations would mess around with its time slots, end the season prematurely and what not. I've seen the movie adaptation though (Macross: Clash of the Bionoids) which was really cool. Most Macross fans seem to hate it though. The Macross Plus series was nice too.

I must be the only person who really never got into Neon Genesis Evangelion. I tried. I really did. Saw the first few episodes on T.V and thought it was so boring. I gave it another shot when they re-aired it. Just never caught the buzz. My niece and nephew love it though.

Submitted by tbag on Sat, 28/02/04 - 9:09 PM Permalink

Well what about Pokemon [:p]. I used to love that about 5 or 6 years ago and the crappy merchandise and episodes are still coming [:p]. I dont like it anymore of course, but i bet theres several of us here who own atleast one version of the game [;)].

I wish they made a cartoon out of Chrono Trigger. That game was beautiful especially the music. The game was extremely well polished and i still play it on ZSNES to this day [:)] (Mainly to just hear that beautiful music).

Submitted by bullet21 on Sat, 28/02/04 - 9:13 PM Permalink

I loved pokemon and i had the blue and red versions. I also had collected all the cards. I was obsessed with it, for me the crazez usually revolved around animes. first pokemon then Digimon and then DBZ. Animes are great and far better than western cartoon i think.

Submitted by Aven on Sat, 28/02/04 - 10:10 PM Permalink

Tbag - They did make a Chrono Trigger cratoon. I have the first episode. It only goes for 15mins, and is a bad rip, but at least it has the singing robot :D

Pokemon Red/Blue were very fun. My friend first showed me Pokemon before anything to do with it hit Western shores. His little Pikachu keyring that a Japanese pen pal sent him.

Tekkaman Blade (Technoman) was really cool to watch back then, but it is really weak now (I feel the same way about Astroboy as well :(). Still love Batman: TAS. I really like Evangelion, but for different reasons to most people. I don't care that much about the massive mecha, I more like the character developement that starts to happen further into it. Plus, everyone ends up really messed up towards the end. Have to love those mind fuck anime :D

Submitted by tbag on Sat, 28/02/04 - 11:14 PM Permalink

They made a Chrono Trigger cratoon? I said cartoon not cratoon [;)].

Is it that singing robot you beat up to get silver coins at the town square?

I got too see DBZ before it hit Western shores etc... my friend had a pirated copy of the first episode from Thailand [:p]. Overall Anime is my favourite type of animation [;)].

Submitted by MoonUnit on Sun, 29/02/04 - 1:59 AM Permalink

i never really got the japanese craze thing, as far as cartoons went they really were just something to amuze me after school :P

Submitted by TheBigJ on Sun, 29/02/04 - 11:35 PM Permalink

Hey anyone remember Robotech? They've been out on DVD for a while now, have been tempted to buy them but theres like 21 DVDs and thats a lotta moolah.

Submitted by Aven on Sun, 29/02/04 - 11:41 PM Permalink

tbag - Nah. I mean cratoon. They are similar to cartoons, but they only exsist in my mind. Hence why you didn't know of them :p

Robotech is the Western cut of Macross. It is basically an edited version of the Macross series, and then mixes in the Invid Saga and some other smaller sagas. As Souri mentioned, a lot of Macross purists hate Robotech. It is entirely up to you which version you wouls choose to buy. Me personally, I would go for the original Macross version. Macross II was pretty good (a lot of people hate it), and I love Macross Zero. My advice for Macross Zero though, is to watch the 4 part OAV, and then watch the movie edition. The movie edition kicks some serious arse (heaps better ending). I still have to get some episodes of Macross 7. Female Valkyries :D

Here is a link to news on a 3D version of Inspector Gadget.
http://news.awn.com/index.php?ltype=top&newsitem_no=10368

Submitted by TheBigJ on Tue, 02/03/04 - 1:19 AM Permalink

Heh, sorta skimmed through some of the posts there.

I've heard of Macross before but I don't believe I've seen any. Might have a look around.. As far as Robotech goes though I remember loving it as a kid. Watched the whole thing addictively when it first came out, then a few years later when they showed it again (I think thats when the commercial stations were messing with it, Channel 7 I think).

Posted by Anonymous (not verified) on
Forum

Submitted by Johnn on Wed, 25/02/04 - 11:00 AM Permalink

Astro Boy toys are so wasted on kids ! Its a pity that the full Astro-culture isn't brought to Australia. Apparently there was a travelling Astroboy exhibition in Japan last year. Sounded very cool (not surprisingly.)

Submitted by bullet21 on Wed, 25/02/04 - 6:14 PM Permalink

quote:Astro Boy toys are so wasted on kids !

Not True, it came out when i was like 4 or 5 years old and i absolutely loved it, i have my a collection of astroboy merchandise. I used to get up really early in the morning to watch it, i think it was on agro's cartoon connection. It is still one of my fav. manga cartoons along with DBZ of course.
[8] <-- look it's picolo

Submitted by Makk on Thu, 26/02/04 - 7:50 AM Permalink

Astro Boy is coming back on Austar/Foxtell :)

Submitted by souri on Thu, 26/02/04 - 12:04 PM Permalink

DAMNIT!!! *curses for not having cable TV*.. My friend has seen some of the new episodes but he says it just doesn't have the same feel as the 80's Astro Boy.
Those toys look cool [:)] I don't know about the new Atlas though. I thought the old one was much cooler!
Does anyone remember those tv ads that Siren did to promote the Astro Boy series coming out on VHS? There was a middle aged guy who wore gumboots, shiny undies, and a black cap with spikes. In one of the ads, he was just checking himself out in the mirror, and in another, he was pretending to jump in the air. It was damn funny [:)]

Submitted by Aven on Thu, 26/02/04 - 8:06 PM Permalink

Submitted by tbag on Fri, 27/02/04 - 2:48 AM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by Aven

Well... the astroboy movie rebirth was out in Japan this year or last year and it should be coming out here on DVD. Generally when a old movie/show comes back, the old stuff is pumped right back on the shelves [:D]. But im pretty sure MadMan.com.au or some other Aussie company announced they were going to launch the original astroboy series back on DVD.

Good old astroboy :D.

Submitted by inglis on Fri, 27/02/04 - 2:52 AM Permalink

when will Super Ted be coming back??? haha

When he was made, They found something wrong with him, And threw him away like a piece of rubbish
into an old dark storeroom, Then, from out of space, A spotty man brought him to life with his cosmic dust,
He took him to a magic cloud, Where mother nature gave him special powers. That bear became SUPER TED!

[img]http://www.vivaciousweb.com/cartoons/superted8.jpg[/img]

[8D]

Submitted by tbag on Fri, 27/02/04 - 3:03 AM Permalink

Heh. I remember SuperTed, when i was in like Year 5 it was shown on ABC as a quick 'fill-in' show.

But none the less there are several websites where you can download episodes of them :p if i mentioned the links im sure i would get flamed for it (But im sure some of these 20 year old shows wouldnt have copyright laws anymore or the studios would be dead).

Anyhow, the old shows were good.

On that often comes to my mind is GI Joe and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (Now being milked a second time).

Submitted by inglis on Fri, 27/02/04 - 3:11 AM Permalink

Copyright is active until the creator/copyright holder has been dead for 50 or 70 years I believe. (I think they are changing/changed to 70.)
I was only joking - I dont think Ill try and track down old Super Ted episodes.

Little Copyright story I was told about when learning the fundamentals of copyright-

Peter Pan- the rights were held by a Children hospital in England. The 50 years was almost up and the rights would have become public domain. The hospital approached their government saying if it happends they will have to kick back in with the funding. So they altered the law saying that the rights for Peter Pan would never be public domain. Something like that, never checked it out. But I guess thats true.
Sort of fitting for the boy that never grows up.

Submitted by MoonUnit on Fri, 27/02/04 - 5:15 AM Permalink

OMG i remember super ted, man i used to love that show :P

flies throught the aiiir like a string on a beaaaaar suuuuper teeeeeed! suuuuuper teeeeed! SUPER TED!

Submitted by inglis on Fri, 27/02/04 - 5:28 AM Permalink

Do you remember BananaMan?!?

[edit]sorry...have sort of hijacked this thread.

Submitted by bullet21 on Fri, 27/02/04 - 6:28 AM Permalink

hahaha Yes, i remember banana man, another ABC fill in show, and his sworn enemy apple man.
What about Roger Ramjet?

Submitted by bullet21 on Fri, 27/02/04 - 7:34 AM Permalink

Hahaha, Inglis where you gettin all dis from. It takes me back to year 9 when we used to have remembarance sesions in class about old tv shows. Hers another one Victor and Hugo

Submitted by Aven on Fri, 27/02/04 - 8:31 AM Permalink

On the subject of old cartoons that need to be put on DVD...

Samurai Pizza Cats
http://www.two4u.com/pizzacats/
http://www.tvtome.com/SamuraiPizzaCats/
I have heard word, that it will be released on DVD :D

Freakazoid
http://www.tvtome.com/Freakazoid/
Still one of the best American animated series of all time.

Animaniacs
http://www.tvtome.com/tvtome/servlet/ShowMainServlet/showid-2077/
Nothing beat the countries of the world anthem, sung to the Mexican Hat Dance.

Submitted by Johnn on Fri, 27/02/04 - 11:25 AM Permalink

On the copyright thing- i think Disney did something similar with MickyMouse. They managed to change the copyright laws to avoid Micky becoming Public domain.

Submitted by Makk on Sat, 28/02/04 - 3:58 AM Permalink

Superted!! I was a huge Super Ted fan, had some of hte books too. :D

Submitted by TheBigJ on Sat, 28/02/04 - 4:04 AM Permalink

Super Ted!
Banana Man!
Roger Ramjet!
Samurai Pizza Cats!

So many memories...

Submitted by tbag on Sat, 28/02/04 - 4:29 AM Permalink

What about Sumea.com.au? So many old memories of that site... but the owner of it, Souri i think his name was seemed to hate everyone who visited the site [:p].

Freakaziod was rather funny, i'll give it that.

Submitted by MoonUnit on Sat, 28/02/04 - 5:29 AM Permalink

"haha yeah. i remember it but wasnt much of a fan, the intro music pissed me off to much."

lol right on the money there, it was the same for me :P

Submitted by souri on Sat, 28/02/04 - 4:08 PM Permalink

Astro Boy, Tansformers, Ulysses 31, Voltron... Now THEY were real cartoons worth watching [:)].. They were epics, told some great stories, and really got your imagination going! Cartoons like Banana Man were fun, but they were just filler for something on next. [:)] I've got happy memories of watching G-Force and Starblazer as well. What is it with Japanese anime? They were just miles better than what their Western counterparts were doing (He-man, Mask etc). They didn't dumb down their stories or expect their audience to be complete morons...

I kinda regret never catching all of Robotech on tv. That seemed like a seriously kick ass series, but the darn commercial TV stations would mess around with its time slots, end the season prematurely and what not. I've seen the movie adaptation though (Macross: Clash of the Bionoids) which was really cool. Most Macross fans seem to hate it though. The Macross Plus series was nice too.

I must be the only person who really never got into Neon Genesis Evangelion. I tried. I really did. Saw the first few episodes on T.V and thought it was so boring. I gave it another shot when they re-aired it. Just never caught the buzz. My niece and nephew love it though.

Submitted by tbag on Sat, 28/02/04 - 9:09 PM Permalink

Well what about Pokemon [:p]. I used to love that about 5 or 6 years ago and the crappy merchandise and episodes are still coming [:p]. I dont like it anymore of course, but i bet theres several of us here who own atleast one version of the game [;)].

I wish they made a cartoon out of Chrono Trigger. That game was beautiful especially the music. The game was extremely well polished and i still play it on ZSNES to this day [:)] (Mainly to just hear that beautiful music).

Submitted by bullet21 on Sat, 28/02/04 - 9:13 PM Permalink

I loved pokemon and i had the blue and red versions. I also had collected all the cards. I was obsessed with it, for me the crazez usually revolved around animes. first pokemon then Digimon and then DBZ. Animes are great and far better than western cartoon i think.

Submitted by Aven on Sat, 28/02/04 - 10:10 PM Permalink

Tbag - They did make a Chrono Trigger cratoon. I have the first episode. It only goes for 15mins, and is a bad rip, but at least it has the singing robot :D

Pokemon Red/Blue were very fun. My friend first showed me Pokemon before anything to do with it hit Western shores. His little Pikachu keyring that a Japanese pen pal sent him.

Tekkaman Blade (Technoman) was really cool to watch back then, but it is really weak now (I feel the same way about Astroboy as well :(). Still love Batman: TAS. I really like Evangelion, but for different reasons to most people. I don't care that much about the massive mecha, I more like the character developement that starts to happen further into it. Plus, everyone ends up really messed up towards the end. Have to love those mind fuck anime :D

Submitted by tbag on Sat, 28/02/04 - 11:14 PM Permalink

They made a Chrono Trigger cratoon? I said cartoon not cratoon [;)].

Is it that singing robot you beat up to get silver coins at the town square?

I got too see DBZ before it hit Western shores etc... my friend had a pirated copy of the first episode from Thailand [:p]. Overall Anime is my favourite type of animation [;)].

Submitted by MoonUnit on Sun, 29/02/04 - 1:59 AM Permalink

i never really got the japanese craze thing, as far as cartoons went they really were just something to amuze me after school :P

Submitted by TheBigJ on Sun, 29/02/04 - 11:35 PM Permalink

Hey anyone remember Robotech? They've been out on DVD for a while now, have been tempted to buy them but theres like 21 DVDs and thats a lotta moolah.

Submitted by Aven on Sun, 29/02/04 - 11:41 PM Permalink

tbag - Nah. I mean cratoon. They are similar to cartoons, but they only exsist in my mind. Hence why you didn't know of them :p

Robotech is the Western cut of Macross. It is basically an edited version of the Macross series, and then mixes in the Invid Saga and some other smaller sagas. As Souri mentioned, a lot of Macross purists hate Robotech. It is entirely up to you which version you wouls choose to buy. Me personally, I would go for the original Macross version. Macross II was pretty good (a lot of people hate it), and I love Macross Zero. My advice for Macross Zero though, is to watch the 4 part OAV, and then watch the movie edition. The movie edition kicks some serious arse (heaps better ending). I still have to get some episodes of Macross 7. Female Valkyries :D

Here is a link to news on a 3D version of Inspector Gadget.
http://news.awn.com/index.php?ltype=top&newsitem_no=10368

Submitted by TheBigJ on Tue, 02/03/04 - 1:19 AM Permalink

Heh, sorta skimmed through some of the posts there.

I've heard of Macross before but I don't believe I've seen any. Might have a look around.. As far as Robotech goes though I remember loving it as a kid. Watched the whole thing addictively when it first came out, then a few years later when they showed it again (I think thats when the commercial stations were messing with it, Channel 7 I think).