Skip to main content

Import Xbox 360? who is going to get one?

Submitted by gamer23 on
Forum

Hi I live in canada and will be visiting australia in december, I was thinking of bringing a couple of xbox 360's over and selling them to friends. Do you think there would be quite a bit of interest in buying an import 360 in aus considering it won't come out til march 2006? I realise I will probably have to include a step down converter for the power, and probably include some games considering the NTSC format. Let me know if you think it's a good idea or not? If you can let me know also what the price is for an import 360 at an Australian Online import store? thanks

Submitted by Kizza on Fri, 25/11/05 - 10:43 AM Permalink

I don't mind the idea of buying an import system, given that we're paying $100 more than the US for the same system. But I'm not sure I could be bothered with the hassel of importing all my games as well.

Submitted by LiveWire on Fri, 25/11/05 - 8:37 PM Permalink

I heard that the 360 is not region independent though, i could be wrong though.

Submitted by Daemin on Mon, 28/11/05 - 11:46 AM Permalink

I read that somewhere too LimeWire, so if you get an American Console you'll only be able to play American games. Basically that'll mean you'll have to import the games too, at significant cost.

Submitted by LiveWire on Mon, 28/11/05 - 8:26 PM Permalink

though probably still cheeper than paying Australian prices

Submitted by mcdrewski on Mon, 28/11/05 - 9:33 PM Permalink

I looked this up when a colleague from canada suggested importing one. The '360 *is* region locked.

Oh well, yet another reason for piracy to profit rather than legitimate developers. *sigh*

Submitted by LiveWire on Mon, 28/11/05 - 10:58 PM Permalink

thus we have: [url]http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3292[/url]

and i fully support the court's decision. the only use or region locks is to allow companies to charge different (i.e. higher) prices in different parts of the world. As i see it, if i buy a game, then they get their sale, and i should be able to play it - where i bought it should be irrelevant. Same goes for DVDs.

Submitted by mcdrewski on Tue, 29/11/05 - 12:56 AM Permalink

Wouldn't it be great if with this whole broadband live *thing* you could buy a "region pass" for your 360? Basically while you're on live you can play and/or buy/download import games?

Just imagine if you could download a game and burn it to disc - Steam style.

Submitted by souri on Tue, 29/11/05 - 1:22 AM Permalink

It's interesting to see that the PS3 won't be region coded. This probably is in Sony's favour for future court battles against mod chipping, now that the region coded equation has been taken out.

Not sure if it's worth the hassle with a region locked imported Xbox 360. There's already work on [url="http://games.slashdot.org/games/05/11/27/166248.shtml?tid=211&tid=106"]bypassing the XBox 360's security model[/url], and I'm guessing that it will happen eventually, but who knows how long you'll have to put up with importing games. Although considering how much we get screwed over with game prices here, it might possibly be cheaper importing games.

Online distribution is going to be interesting, and hopefully we'll be paying the *exact* conversion rate for US retail games (something like $70), and then minus the costs of distribution and packaging, so it'll even be cheaper than that. Well, here's hoping anyway. If iTunes is of any indication, we'll end up paying more than our American counterparts somehow. [;)]

Submitted by LiveWire on Tue, 29/11/05 - 1:45 AM Permalink

a whole bunch of 360 dev kits were stolen a while back (I havn't got a link sorry), so expect it to be cracked and chipped soon enough.

Submitted by redwyre on Tue, 29/11/05 - 6:53 AM Permalink

If you were smart, you'd wait for the americans to work out all the teething problems and buy a nice stable box when it comes out here :)

Submitted by souri on Thu, 01/12/05 - 12:00 PM Permalink

I wonder if they're going to fix the power supply heating problems before they get here [?]

Submitted by Daemin on Thu, 01/12/05 - 10:15 PM Permalink

Would be pretty stupid of them to release something that overheats in one of the world's hottest countries...

Submitted by garry on Tue, 20/12/05 - 6:33 AM Permalink

Hi gamer23 im not sure if its to late but i am very interested in buying a xbox360 from you i live in australia

Posted by gamer23 on
Forum

Hi I live in canada and will be visiting australia in december, I was thinking of bringing a couple of xbox 360's over and selling them to friends. Do you think there would be quite a bit of interest in buying an import 360 in aus considering it won't come out til march 2006? I realise I will probably have to include a step down converter for the power, and probably include some games considering the NTSC format. Let me know if you think it's a good idea or not? If you can let me know also what the price is for an import 360 at an Australian Online import store? thanks

Submitted by Kizza on Fri, 25/11/05 - 10:43 AM Permalink

I don't mind the idea of buying an import system, given that we're paying $100 more than the US for the same system. But I'm not sure I could be bothered with the hassel of importing all my games as well.

Submitted by LiveWire on Fri, 25/11/05 - 8:37 PM Permalink

I heard that the 360 is not region independent though, i could be wrong though.

Submitted by Daemin on Mon, 28/11/05 - 11:46 AM Permalink

I read that somewhere too LimeWire, so if you get an American Console you'll only be able to play American games. Basically that'll mean you'll have to import the games too, at significant cost.

Submitted by LiveWire on Mon, 28/11/05 - 8:26 PM Permalink

though probably still cheeper than paying Australian prices

Submitted by mcdrewski on Mon, 28/11/05 - 9:33 PM Permalink

I looked this up when a colleague from canada suggested importing one. The '360 *is* region locked.

Oh well, yet another reason for piracy to profit rather than legitimate developers. *sigh*

Submitted by LiveWire on Mon, 28/11/05 - 10:58 PM Permalink

thus we have: [url]http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3292[/url]

and i fully support the court's decision. the only use or region locks is to allow companies to charge different (i.e. higher) prices in different parts of the world. As i see it, if i buy a game, then they get their sale, and i should be able to play it - where i bought it should be irrelevant. Same goes for DVDs.

Submitted by mcdrewski on Tue, 29/11/05 - 12:56 AM Permalink

Wouldn't it be great if with this whole broadband live *thing* you could buy a "region pass" for your 360? Basically while you're on live you can play and/or buy/download import games?

Just imagine if you could download a game and burn it to disc - Steam style.

Submitted by souri on Tue, 29/11/05 - 1:22 AM Permalink

It's interesting to see that the PS3 won't be region coded. This probably is in Sony's favour for future court battles against mod chipping, now that the region coded equation has been taken out.

Not sure if it's worth the hassle with a region locked imported Xbox 360. There's already work on [url="http://games.slashdot.org/games/05/11/27/166248.shtml?tid=211&tid=106"]bypassing the XBox 360's security model[/url], and I'm guessing that it will happen eventually, but who knows how long you'll have to put up with importing games. Although considering how much we get screwed over with game prices here, it might possibly be cheaper importing games.

Online distribution is going to be interesting, and hopefully we'll be paying the *exact* conversion rate for US retail games (something like $70), and then minus the costs of distribution and packaging, so it'll even be cheaper than that. Well, here's hoping anyway. If iTunes is of any indication, we'll end up paying more than our American counterparts somehow. [;)]

Submitted by LiveWire on Tue, 29/11/05 - 1:45 AM Permalink

a whole bunch of 360 dev kits were stolen a while back (I havn't got a link sorry), so expect it to be cracked and chipped soon enough.

Submitted by redwyre on Tue, 29/11/05 - 6:53 AM Permalink

If you were smart, you'd wait for the americans to work out all the teething problems and buy a nice stable box when it comes out here :)

Submitted by souri on Thu, 01/12/05 - 12:00 PM Permalink

I wonder if they're going to fix the power supply heating problems before they get here [?]

Submitted by Daemin on Thu, 01/12/05 - 10:15 PM Permalink

Would be pretty stupid of them to release something that overheats in one of the world's hottest countries...

Submitted by garry on Tue, 20/12/05 - 6:33 AM Permalink

Hi gamer23 im not sure if its to late but i am very interested in buying a xbox360 from you i live in australia