Skip to main content

Games to Film

Submitted by Falco on
Forum

Im sure most of you out there are as interested as I am when a video or computer game is made into a movie. As soon as I here that a game I have been playing is in production in Hollywood I am constintly looking out for it, trying to get articles or previews.

But it happens to me again and again. It gets a huge build up, I get realy excited ... and then ... it sucks beyond belief.

You might have seen me. I was the guy at the opening of Final Fantasy
yelling "Where's the Chocoboos! I don't see no freakin Chocoboos!"

Mabye im just taken all this to seriously, but if you think the way I do (a scary thought) then I have three questions for you.

1. Best game to film ever made?
2. Worst game to film ever made?
3. Game that would be great as a movie? (+ best actors for the parts)

My answers to these would be:

1. "Mario Brothers"
Dispite its short comings I loved this movie.

2. Has to be "Streetfighter"
Gave me nightmares for weeks.

3. "Half life" with Edward Norton as Gordan.
Only if they did it right. But I always say that.

Submitted by Makk on Tue, 23/11/04 - 11:00 AM Permalink

1. Mortal kombat?
2. A tie between Double Dragon and Wing Commander
3. Deus Ex

Wohooo! 500th post!! [8D][B)]

Submitted by MoonUnit on Tue, 23/11/04 - 11:18 AM Permalink

go makk... err yes im a spam whore

1)mario brothers! cause it was just funny to see bob hoskins play him, that alone was entertaining enough

2)the second tomb raider movie

3)Hitman (one of them, well ok not the latest, that was a cheap rehash, 1 or 2)

Submitted by rezn0r on Tue, 23/11/04 - 11:54 AM Permalink

1. Mortal Kombat is probably my fav. Double Dragon was pretty cool too I thought... yeah it was dumb and it did have the guy from Party of 5 doing Kung Fu, but I didn't know any better when I was a kid.

2. Alien Vs Predator! Yeah, not STRICTLY a game movie... I think it would have been a better movie if someone played the game for 121 minutes instead. I hate it when people dumber than me make movies...

GUY: "ohh nooooo, the Aztecs had a base 10 measurement... that means that every 10 minutes the pyramid reconfigures!"
ME: "Minutes aren't base 10!!!"
GUY: *Ignores me*

Don't get me started.

3. Postal 2 would make an interesting movie. Dark Earth would make a cool movie too, though it's a bit obscure. Monkey Island?

Scott.

Submitted by souri on Tue, 23/11/04 - 12:47 PM Permalink

You know, the director for the Mortal Kombat movie did the Alien vs Predator movie [:D] Paul W.S. Anderson. He's an avid gamer too, and happened to have directed the Resident Evil movie and wrote the script for Resident Evil 2. He would have directed Resident Evil 2, but Aliens VS Predator came along. Personally, I think he does ok (but forgettable) popcorn action movies.
I've noticed that he's 'borrowed' elements of the movie "The Cube" in two of his movies. In Resident Evil, he acknowledges that he took the string-slicing of a human from the movie, and the reconfiguration of the pyramid in Alien vs Predator was obviously lifted from The Cube as well.

1: Street Fighter II, the animated movie. That movie is still absolutely kick arse. Brilliant artwork and animation, and all the characters looked like their video game counterparts. It had fantastic action/fighting bits, the soundtrack was *great*, and the story wasn't half bad either.

2: Street Fighter, the live movie. Terrible casting (Jean Claude Van Damme as the American G.I, and a bunch of no-names who looked like weaklings). Really unimpressive action and fighting, tonnes of corny dialogue, and a totally butchered the back story on the characters and premise. You'd think a movie that was done in co-operation with Capcom would have stayed true to things, but they couldn't have gotten it any more wrong. Filmed at the Gold Coast and also starred Kylie Monogue o_O .. It was also the last film that Raul Julia (a respected actor) was in before he died. [:(]
With some great fighting choreography and trip wire, special effects for the special moves etc, and utilising the rich backstory of Street Fighter, the movie had such a great potential. But they blew it, in every possible way. The movie had no redeeming qualities whatsoever.

3: I say Monkey Island as well! Pirates of the Caribbean reminded me a LOT of Monkey Island. I reckon use the same cast, crew, writers, and director, and you're in with a winner right there!
Another great movie would be Metal Gear Solid. It needs some kick arse action sequences, and cool Metal Gear fighting action! Slim pickings for Action heroes these days, I'm not sure who would make a good Solid Snake (and please don't say Kurt Russell).. Someone who would look cool with a MULLET. [:D]

Submitted by Kalescent on Tue, 23/11/04 - 2:48 PM Permalink

When is Blizzard going to make a 3d animated film of Warcraft or other cool histories and great stories in the World of Warcraft. I would buy up every 20 minute episode of the Warcraft CG-Toon !!

1: Streetfighter / Tekken animated films i really enjoyed those!

2: If i may bend the rules and say the Worst game to be created from a movie IMO was The Matrix. The movies are one of my all time favourite series of movies that kicked major sphincter, and the game just didnt do the movies justice at all. [:(]

3: Devil May Cry / Silent Hill 4 / Half Life 2 with Edward Norton as Gordon would also kick major ass.

Submitted by palantir on Tue, 23/11/04 - 6:43 PM Permalink

Best game to film ever made?
They all seem such average quality for some reason, but personally I?d have to go with Resident Evil. I?d say AvP, but I don?t think it?s really based on the games (though would have been way cooler if it were ? it needed the marines)

Worst game to film ever made?
Street Fighter ? what a joke.

Game that would be great as a movie? (+ best actors for the parts)
Anything set in the Warcraft universe would own! - Especially if it was given the epic scale of the Lord of the Rings trilogy production.

Also, something from the Legacy of Kain/Soul Reaver universe would make for a great vampire movie.

I agree, Edward Norton as Gordon Freeman is a great choice. They would really need to improve the plot of Half Life 2 though?

Submitted by UniqueSnowFlake on Tue, 23/11/04 - 8:09 PM Permalink

Just on that note I heard yesterday that Halo is going to be turned into a movie. Sorry don't have a link but I'm sure news will go around and someone will post one up [:)]

Submitted by LiveWire on Tue, 23/11/04 - 9:07 PM Permalink

BEST: Mario Bros - yeah it was pretty bad but it was still awsome when i saw it when i was younger.

WORST: Mortal Kombat 2 - i've avoided what i thought would be too bad, such as Tomb Raider 2 and others.

WANT: Deus Ex - cos it has the best story in a game, ever. and Metroid (yeah it would be really cheesy and porbably suck, but it's Metroid!!)

then again, this would be awsome too:
[img]http://www.penny-arcade.com/images/2003/20030124l.jpg[/img]

Submitted by ScORCHo on Tue, 23/11/04 - 10:48 PM Permalink

"Woo has been developing a RAINBOW SIX movie for about a year now. A script is complete but the director hasn't made an announcement that he wants to do RAINBOW as his next film."

Now I know Rainbow Six is a book(an awesome book!) but i think this qualifies as a game to film because the game is more well known and popular(i dont think many ppl know it is based on a book) and I have a feeling this movie will be just a big action packed cheese fest(if u look at any of john woos american movies of late). I really wish this will be made by someone else.

About Half Life, someone has stolen the title http://halflifemovie.com/

Submitted by Kane on Tue, 23/11/04 - 11:43 PM Permalink

That Tetris movie looks sick!

1. Resident Evil or Super Mario Bros.
2. Undecided...havent seen many video game movies...probably Tomb Raider
3. Metroid Prime with Alicia Silverstone as Samus... [:D]

Submitted by redwyre on Wed, 24/11/04 - 12:09 AM Permalink

1. Street fighter / Resident evil.
2. Tomb raider, I'm guessing the second was worse than the first.
3. System Shock. "Look at you hacker. A pathetic creature of meat and bone..."

Submitted by panzer on Wed, 24/11/04 - 12:53 AM Permalink

John woo making rainbow 6! would probably make my worst movie when it comes out. Having Ding Chavez fighting terrorists dual pistols actions is a joke. He is a cool director but not the right one for the movie. Ah.. Tom Clancy must be puking at the moment.

1 Best movie. I guess mortal kombat 1. argurably the most successful translation so far. what about games to cartoons? I knew quite a few were made into anime.

2 worst movie. definetly street fighter. Atrocity has been committed to such a classic game. But the saving grace of the movie goes to Zangrief and DJ character.
DJ to Zangrief "Because he paid me an african fortune, you moron"

3 generally games do make good movie translations. movie goers are a different 'customers' to gamers and expectations are very different. I doubt any game would be ideal to make into a movie no matter how popular the game. Movies to game is a better financial risk.

Submitted by Blitz on Wed, 24/11/04 - 3:20 AM Permalink

1. Agreeing with souri/hazard, Street fighter animated movie is awesome.
2. I can't really decide... street fighter, double dragon had their horrible moments. Hmmm, i believe pokemon was originally a game too :P
3. Halo, with vin diesel as master chief maybe...i think the low mono voice would suit. I reckon you could make a pretty funny leisure suit larry movie too (animal house, revenge of the nerds etc.). Could cast that guy from buffy...Johnathan(?)
Jet Set Radio could make an interesting trippy animated flick :P
CYer, Blitz

Submitted by palantir on Wed, 24/11/04 - 5:39 AM Permalink

quote:ScORCHo said:
Now I know Rainbow Six is a book(an awesome book!) but i think this qualifies as a game to film because the game is more well known and popular(i dont think many ppl know it is based on a book) and I have a feeling this movie will be just a big action packed cheese fest

Sorry man, but I completely disagree with you. Firstly, even though as gamers it may seem to us that most people know of the Rainbow games but not the books, I think you?d find that there are billions of Tom Clancy book lovers who don?t even know about the Rainbow games, much less play them.

As for Woo making a Clancy film, especially something more action orientated then the average Clancy story, I think it could work. Now just because Woo has made his mark with duel pistols and point blank face offs, doesn?t mean that this is the only style of action he is capable of. I think he is intelligent enough to realise that a Clancy story calls for a little more thought then some of the mindless actions he has made, and I think he has the potential to bring the right mix of drama, espionage and action to the franchise.

Here?s hoping, anyway!

Submitted by Falco on Wed, 24/11/04 - 6:00 AM Permalink

I find it interesting that the Hollywood machine is taking such an interest in games. You would think that some great movies would come from this but for some reason they botch most of them. They just throw money at it, without even bothering to find out what made the game entertaining in the fist place.

When I heard that a new Final Fantasy movie was coming out I was very sceptical, after the joke the first one was. All they had to do was call it something else, but I was tricked, swindeld, bamboozeld. This new one however looks pretty good. If anyone knows the release date and weather it'll be released as a DVD could you please tell me.

Also, two knew movies are coming soon. Alone In The Dark is coming out next year, with Christian Slater as Edward Carnby.

Heres their website.
[url]http://www.alone-in-the-dark.com/[/url]

And one that Im realy interested in is Silent Hill. They had better not stuff this one up.

Heres an article.
[url]http://www.megagames.com/news/html/movies/silenthillmoviemakessense.sht…]

Submitted by Blitz on Wed, 24/11/04 - 6:07 AM Permalink

Do you mean final fantasy 7: advent children? If so, i believe it will be straight to DVD, not sure on the release date though.
CYer, Blitz

Submitted by palantir on Wed, 24/11/04 - 7:33 AM Permalink

They should have just called it "The spirits within". Personally I thought it was a very good movie, but I've heard so many negative comments about it. I wish there were more movies like this (non comedy 3D), but unfortunately the masses seem to have a problem with it. [:(]

Submitted by Mick1460 on Wed, 24/11/04 - 7:40 AM Permalink

You all no the odd director Uwe Boll (house of the dead) is making Far Cry?
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0400426/

1 - Mortal Kombat (its the reason I do what I do now)
2 - House of the Dead
3 - Doom, Half Life, Halo, Quake 2

Submitted by LiveWire on Wed, 24/11/04 - 8:17 PM Permalink

i liked the FF movie. yeah the script was rubbish and the acting didnt help, but it had an original story and looked great (even if the animation was a little stiff at times).

Submitted by Kalescent on Thu, 25/11/04 - 1:20 AM Permalink

FF was fantastic - you have to remember they were working on it the same time as final fantasy VIII and IX were being made - thats over 6 - 7 years ago, the graphics and animation were out of this world compared to anything else. [:O]

Submitted by Daemin on Thu, 25/11/04 - 2:40 AM Permalink

Aren't they making a Doom Movie?

The half life games would be some good ideas for movies, since they're practically just a linear movie currently. Although I would have to say that most of the action and most of the jumping puzzles would have to be replaced from the movies if they were made, and also they'd probably have the sidekick characters going throughout the whole movie too. (Hrm, now I actually have to go back and finish HL2 - almost there atm.)

An animated movie of Monkey Island would probably be cool, if they could get the humour right.
Wing commander was pretty pathetic, along with street fighter...
Something like Prince of Persia: Sands of Time would be a cool movie to make.

Though I would have to make a point that if movies from games were to be made, they would most probably be just plain popcorn action flicks, with limited story, and just a whole lotta special effects. Perhaps if they made a movie from a game with almsot no special effects, I wonder how that would go?

Submitted by Falco on Thu, 25/11/04 - 3:36 AM Permalink

For everyone thinking that I am having a go at Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within, I only have a problem with the name. I thought the movie was pretty good. Ending left me a bit sad though [V]. Im a sucker for happy endings.

What has always troubled me is why did they use the FF name. Sitting through the whole movie I just kept getting more and more confused.
"When is someone gonna summon a monster" I kept whispering to my brother. If any one out there knows why the name was used I realy love to hear it.

Submitted by palantir on Thu, 25/11/04 - 5:39 AM Permalink

Years ago when Duke Nukem 3D was current and I was experiencing my first LAN all-nighters, I used to think that the coolest possible thing would be a Duke Nukem movie, probably staring Dolph Lundgren (or maybe even schwarzenegger). [:D]
?It?s time to kick ass and chew bubble gum?
? and I?m all outa gum.?

Submitted by Maitrek on Thu, 25/11/04 - 11:14 AM Permalink

The only reason Duke Nukem would make a way better movie than the Doom/HL movie is because it actually HAS a character and forms of characterisation...unlike a bazillion other games.

As for the questions

1. best game->movie : Final Fantasy
2. worst game->movie : House of the Dead <- OMG-WTF-LMAO
3. potential conversion : Dreamweb - with Rufus Sewell (dude from Dark City) as Ryan...although any movie based on Dreamweb would definitely get refused classifcation in Australia!

Submitted by Maitrek on Thu, 25/11/04 - 11:17 AM Permalink

Actually I'd just about give House of the Dead the gong for worst movie ever...but then House of 1000 Corpses was such a pile of turd - but that clown dude was kind of funny...gah can't make up my mind!

Submitted by souri on Thu, 25/11/04 - 12:57 PM Permalink

I didn't even know House of the Dead was released yet! There has been way too many zombie movies out of late.

Posted by Falco on
Forum

Im sure most of you out there are as interested as I am when a video or computer game is made into a movie. As soon as I here that a game I have been playing is in production in Hollywood I am constintly looking out for it, trying to get articles or previews.

But it happens to me again and again. It gets a huge build up, I get realy excited ... and then ... it sucks beyond belief.

You might have seen me. I was the guy at the opening of Final Fantasy
yelling "Where's the Chocoboos! I don't see no freakin Chocoboos!"

Mabye im just taken all this to seriously, but if you think the way I do (a scary thought) then I have three questions for you.

1. Best game to film ever made?
2. Worst game to film ever made?
3. Game that would be great as a movie? (+ best actors for the parts)

My answers to these would be:

1. "Mario Brothers"
Dispite its short comings I loved this movie.

2. Has to be "Streetfighter"
Gave me nightmares for weeks.

3. "Half life" with Edward Norton as Gordan.
Only if they did it right. But I always say that.

Submitted by Makk on Tue, 23/11/04 - 11:00 AM Permalink

1. Mortal kombat?
2. A tie between Double Dragon and Wing Commander
3. Deus Ex

Wohooo! 500th post!! [8D][B)]

Submitted by MoonUnit on Tue, 23/11/04 - 11:18 AM Permalink

go makk... err yes im a spam whore

1)mario brothers! cause it was just funny to see bob hoskins play him, that alone was entertaining enough

2)the second tomb raider movie

3)Hitman (one of them, well ok not the latest, that was a cheap rehash, 1 or 2)

Submitted by rezn0r on Tue, 23/11/04 - 11:54 AM Permalink

1. Mortal Kombat is probably my fav. Double Dragon was pretty cool too I thought... yeah it was dumb and it did have the guy from Party of 5 doing Kung Fu, but I didn't know any better when I was a kid.

2. Alien Vs Predator! Yeah, not STRICTLY a game movie... I think it would have been a better movie if someone played the game for 121 minutes instead. I hate it when people dumber than me make movies...

GUY: "ohh nooooo, the Aztecs had a base 10 measurement... that means that every 10 minutes the pyramid reconfigures!"
ME: "Minutes aren't base 10!!!"
GUY: *Ignores me*

Don't get me started.

3. Postal 2 would make an interesting movie. Dark Earth would make a cool movie too, though it's a bit obscure. Monkey Island?

Scott.

Submitted by souri on Tue, 23/11/04 - 12:47 PM Permalink

You know, the director for the Mortal Kombat movie did the Alien vs Predator movie [:D] Paul W.S. Anderson. He's an avid gamer too, and happened to have directed the Resident Evil movie and wrote the script for Resident Evil 2. He would have directed Resident Evil 2, but Aliens VS Predator came along. Personally, I think he does ok (but forgettable) popcorn action movies.
I've noticed that he's 'borrowed' elements of the movie "The Cube" in two of his movies. In Resident Evil, he acknowledges that he took the string-slicing of a human from the movie, and the reconfiguration of the pyramid in Alien vs Predator was obviously lifted from The Cube as well.

1: Street Fighter II, the animated movie. That movie is still absolutely kick arse. Brilliant artwork and animation, and all the characters looked like their video game counterparts. It had fantastic action/fighting bits, the soundtrack was *great*, and the story wasn't half bad either.

2: Street Fighter, the live movie. Terrible casting (Jean Claude Van Damme as the American G.I, and a bunch of no-names who looked like weaklings). Really unimpressive action and fighting, tonnes of corny dialogue, and a totally butchered the back story on the characters and premise. You'd think a movie that was done in co-operation with Capcom would have stayed true to things, but they couldn't have gotten it any more wrong. Filmed at the Gold Coast and also starred Kylie Monogue o_O .. It was also the last film that Raul Julia (a respected actor) was in before he died. [:(]
With some great fighting choreography and trip wire, special effects for the special moves etc, and utilising the rich backstory of Street Fighter, the movie had such a great potential. But they blew it, in every possible way. The movie had no redeeming qualities whatsoever.

3: I say Monkey Island as well! Pirates of the Caribbean reminded me a LOT of Monkey Island. I reckon use the same cast, crew, writers, and director, and you're in with a winner right there!
Another great movie would be Metal Gear Solid. It needs some kick arse action sequences, and cool Metal Gear fighting action! Slim pickings for Action heroes these days, I'm not sure who would make a good Solid Snake (and please don't say Kurt Russell).. Someone who would look cool with a MULLET. [:D]

Submitted by Kalescent on Tue, 23/11/04 - 2:48 PM Permalink

When is Blizzard going to make a 3d animated film of Warcraft or other cool histories and great stories in the World of Warcraft. I would buy up every 20 minute episode of the Warcraft CG-Toon !!

1: Streetfighter / Tekken animated films i really enjoyed those!

2: If i may bend the rules and say the Worst game to be created from a movie IMO was The Matrix. The movies are one of my all time favourite series of movies that kicked major sphincter, and the game just didnt do the movies justice at all. [:(]

3: Devil May Cry / Silent Hill 4 / Half Life 2 with Edward Norton as Gordon would also kick major ass.

Submitted by palantir on Tue, 23/11/04 - 6:43 PM Permalink

Best game to film ever made?
They all seem such average quality for some reason, but personally I?d have to go with Resident Evil. I?d say AvP, but I don?t think it?s really based on the games (though would have been way cooler if it were ? it needed the marines)

Worst game to film ever made?
Street Fighter ? what a joke.

Game that would be great as a movie? (+ best actors for the parts)
Anything set in the Warcraft universe would own! - Especially if it was given the epic scale of the Lord of the Rings trilogy production.

Also, something from the Legacy of Kain/Soul Reaver universe would make for a great vampire movie.

I agree, Edward Norton as Gordon Freeman is a great choice. They would really need to improve the plot of Half Life 2 though?

Submitted by UniqueSnowFlake on Tue, 23/11/04 - 8:09 PM Permalink

Just on that note I heard yesterday that Halo is going to be turned into a movie. Sorry don't have a link but I'm sure news will go around and someone will post one up [:)]

Submitted by LiveWire on Tue, 23/11/04 - 9:07 PM Permalink

BEST: Mario Bros - yeah it was pretty bad but it was still awsome when i saw it when i was younger.

WORST: Mortal Kombat 2 - i've avoided what i thought would be too bad, such as Tomb Raider 2 and others.

WANT: Deus Ex - cos it has the best story in a game, ever. and Metroid (yeah it would be really cheesy and porbably suck, but it's Metroid!!)

then again, this would be awsome too:
[img]http://www.penny-arcade.com/images/2003/20030124l.jpg[/img]

Submitted by ScORCHo on Tue, 23/11/04 - 10:48 PM Permalink

"Woo has been developing a RAINBOW SIX movie for about a year now. A script is complete but the director hasn't made an announcement that he wants to do RAINBOW as his next film."

Now I know Rainbow Six is a book(an awesome book!) but i think this qualifies as a game to film because the game is more well known and popular(i dont think many ppl know it is based on a book) and I have a feeling this movie will be just a big action packed cheese fest(if u look at any of john woos american movies of late). I really wish this will be made by someone else.

About Half Life, someone has stolen the title http://halflifemovie.com/

Submitted by Kane on Tue, 23/11/04 - 11:43 PM Permalink

That Tetris movie looks sick!

1. Resident Evil or Super Mario Bros.
2. Undecided...havent seen many video game movies...probably Tomb Raider
3. Metroid Prime with Alicia Silverstone as Samus... [:D]

Submitted by redwyre on Wed, 24/11/04 - 12:09 AM Permalink

1. Street fighter / Resident evil.
2. Tomb raider, I'm guessing the second was worse than the first.
3. System Shock. "Look at you hacker. A pathetic creature of meat and bone..."

Submitted by panzer on Wed, 24/11/04 - 12:53 AM Permalink

John woo making rainbow 6! would probably make my worst movie when it comes out. Having Ding Chavez fighting terrorists dual pistols actions is a joke. He is a cool director but not the right one for the movie. Ah.. Tom Clancy must be puking at the moment.

1 Best movie. I guess mortal kombat 1. argurably the most successful translation so far. what about games to cartoons? I knew quite a few were made into anime.

2 worst movie. definetly street fighter. Atrocity has been committed to such a classic game. But the saving grace of the movie goes to Zangrief and DJ character.
DJ to Zangrief "Because he paid me an african fortune, you moron"

3 generally games do make good movie translations. movie goers are a different 'customers' to gamers and expectations are very different. I doubt any game would be ideal to make into a movie no matter how popular the game. Movies to game is a better financial risk.

Submitted by Blitz on Wed, 24/11/04 - 3:20 AM Permalink

1. Agreeing with souri/hazard, Street fighter animated movie is awesome.
2. I can't really decide... street fighter, double dragon had their horrible moments. Hmmm, i believe pokemon was originally a game too :P
3. Halo, with vin diesel as master chief maybe...i think the low mono voice would suit. I reckon you could make a pretty funny leisure suit larry movie too (animal house, revenge of the nerds etc.). Could cast that guy from buffy...Johnathan(?)
Jet Set Radio could make an interesting trippy animated flick :P
CYer, Blitz

Submitted by palantir on Wed, 24/11/04 - 5:39 AM Permalink

quote:ScORCHo said:
Now I know Rainbow Six is a book(an awesome book!) but i think this qualifies as a game to film because the game is more well known and popular(i dont think many ppl know it is based on a book) and I have a feeling this movie will be just a big action packed cheese fest

Sorry man, but I completely disagree with you. Firstly, even though as gamers it may seem to us that most people know of the Rainbow games but not the books, I think you?d find that there are billions of Tom Clancy book lovers who don?t even know about the Rainbow games, much less play them.

As for Woo making a Clancy film, especially something more action orientated then the average Clancy story, I think it could work. Now just because Woo has made his mark with duel pistols and point blank face offs, doesn?t mean that this is the only style of action he is capable of. I think he is intelligent enough to realise that a Clancy story calls for a little more thought then some of the mindless actions he has made, and I think he has the potential to bring the right mix of drama, espionage and action to the franchise.

Here?s hoping, anyway!

Submitted by Falco on Wed, 24/11/04 - 6:00 AM Permalink

I find it interesting that the Hollywood machine is taking such an interest in games. You would think that some great movies would come from this but for some reason they botch most of them. They just throw money at it, without even bothering to find out what made the game entertaining in the fist place.

When I heard that a new Final Fantasy movie was coming out I was very sceptical, after the joke the first one was. All they had to do was call it something else, but I was tricked, swindeld, bamboozeld. This new one however looks pretty good. If anyone knows the release date and weather it'll be released as a DVD could you please tell me.

Also, two knew movies are coming soon. Alone In The Dark is coming out next year, with Christian Slater as Edward Carnby.

Heres their website.
[url]http://www.alone-in-the-dark.com/[/url]

And one that Im realy interested in is Silent Hill. They had better not stuff this one up.

Heres an article.
[url]http://www.megagames.com/news/html/movies/silenthillmoviemakessense.sht…]

Submitted by Blitz on Wed, 24/11/04 - 6:07 AM Permalink

Do you mean final fantasy 7: advent children? If so, i believe it will be straight to DVD, not sure on the release date though.
CYer, Blitz

Submitted by palantir on Wed, 24/11/04 - 7:33 AM Permalink

They should have just called it "The spirits within". Personally I thought it was a very good movie, but I've heard so many negative comments about it. I wish there were more movies like this (non comedy 3D), but unfortunately the masses seem to have a problem with it. [:(]

Submitted by Mick1460 on Wed, 24/11/04 - 7:40 AM Permalink

You all no the odd director Uwe Boll (house of the dead) is making Far Cry?
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0400426/

1 - Mortal Kombat (its the reason I do what I do now)
2 - House of the Dead
3 - Doom, Half Life, Halo, Quake 2

Submitted by LiveWire on Wed, 24/11/04 - 8:17 PM Permalink

i liked the FF movie. yeah the script was rubbish and the acting didnt help, but it had an original story and looked great (even if the animation was a little stiff at times).

Submitted by Kalescent on Thu, 25/11/04 - 1:20 AM Permalink

FF was fantastic - you have to remember they were working on it the same time as final fantasy VIII and IX were being made - thats over 6 - 7 years ago, the graphics and animation were out of this world compared to anything else. [:O]

Submitted by Daemin on Thu, 25/11/04 - 2:40 AM Permalink

Aren't they making a Doom Movie?

The half life games would be some good ideas for movies, since they're practically just a linear movie currently. Although I would have to say that most of the action and most of the jumping puzzles would have to be replaced from the movies if they were made, and also they'd probably have the sidekick characters going throughout the whole movie too. (Hrm, now I actually have to go back and finish HL2 - almost there atm.)

An animated movie of Monkey Island would probably be cool, if they could get the humour right.
Wing commander was pretty pathetic, along with street fighter...
Something like Prince of Persia: Sands of Time would be a cool movie to make.

Though I would have to make a point that if movies from games were to be made, they would most probably be just plain popcorn action flicks, with limited story, and just a whole lotta special effects. Perhaps if they made a movie from a game with almsot no special effects, I wonder how that would go?

Submitted by Falco on Thu, 25/11/04 - 3:36 AM Permalink

For everyone thinking that I am having a go at Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within, I only have a problem with the name. I thought the movie was pretty good. Ending left me a bit sad though [V]. Im a sucker for happy endings.

What has always troubled me is why did they use the FF name. Sitting through the whole movie I just kept getting more and more confused.
"When is someone gonna summon a monster" I kept whispering to my brother. If any one out there knows why the name was used I realy love to hear it.

Submitted by palantir on Thu, 25/11/04 - 5:39 AM Permalink

Years ago when Duke Nukem 3D was current and I was experiencing my first LAN all-nighters, I used to think that the coolest possible thing would be a Duke Nukem movie, probably staring Dolph Lundgren (or maybe even schwarzenegger). [:D]
?It?s time to kick ass and chew bubble gum?
? and I?m all outa gum.?

Submitted by Maitrek on Thu, 25/11/04 - 11:14 AM Permalink

The only reason Duke Nukem would make a way better movie than the Doom/HL movie is because it actually HAS a character and forms of characterisation...unlike a bazillion other games.

As for the questions

1. best game->movie : Final Fantasy
2. worst game->movie : House of the Dead <- OMG-WTF-LMAO
3. potential conversion : Dreamweb - with Rufus Sewell (dude from Dark City) as Ryan...although any movie based on Dreamweb would definitely get refused classifcation in Australia!

Submitted by Maitrek on Thu, 25/11/04 - 11:17 AM Permalink

Actually I'd just about give House of the Dead the gong for worst movie ever...but then House of 1000 Corpses was such a pile of turd - but that clown dude was kind of funny...gah can't make up my mind!

Submitted by souri on Thu, 25/11/04 - 12:57 PM Permalink

I didn't even know House of the Dead was released yet! There has been way too many zombie movies out of late.