Skip to main content

Another one bites the dust

Submitted by bullet21 on
Forum

Recently i've been giving serious thought to my future in 3D and the games industry and have decided that the time has come to give it up. I have been honest with my self, and i don't think i have the creative or artistic ability you need to make 3D art for games. Motivation is another big problem.

You see, i thought it would be fun and i loved games (and still do) so i thought it would be a good idea for me to do it. But the fact is my brain is to left hemisphere oriented, you make me choose between art at school or Chemistry and i'd choose the latter most likely. While i could pursue programming, i actually hate it.

So i have decided to do something that will cater for my analytical needs like Engineering or something. I will occasionally come back to this site, but more for the games news then the industry stuff.

So Cheers to you all and i hope your future brings great prosperity.[:)]

Submitted by MoonUnit on Sat, 23/10/04 - 10:23 PM Permalink

well if where you want to be is outside the gaming industry, then good luck to you :) and have fun with it

Submitted by Kalescent on Sat, 23/10/04 - 10:45 PM Permalink

I hope my not writing a Unwrapping tut for you wasn't the reason [:P]

Good luck with your endeavours dude !

Submitted by palantir on Sun, 24/10/04 - 3:55 AM Permalink

Oh well, it?s good that you?ve found an avenue you will like.

Are you still interested in 3D as a hobby? It would be a shame to completely give up after how far you?ve come. Don?t forget that a lot of fun can be had just modding games and making art ? as a hobby. Art?s good for you, regardless if you?re a hobbyist or professional. [:)]

In any case, good luck with the future!

Submitted by montenague on Sun, 24/10/04 - 12:37 PM Permalink

Dont give up!
there are many faces of the gaming industry.
The business side is an important side.
You could even get into promotions, there are tons of small companies that would love some promotional guidance.

Look into a marketing course?
or a business course?

you cant make a game without funding, and business deals really.
good luck with whaterver you do, but think about the above mentioned.

Submitted by palantir on Sun, 24/10/04 - 4:38 PM Permalink

Hey man, I just thought I?d mention something I?ve learnt about engineering: if you hate programming, I can grantee that you will hate engineering. I started computer engineering when I first left school, and even just the entry level stuff was chock full of assembly programming (about the most low-level, difficult and boring programming you could do) and logic simulation ? programming Boolean logic with a circuit simulation program ? again one of the most low-level difficult things you could program. I hated all the low-level stuff but found I loved programming graphics (even if it was just extremely simple code), so I quit and changed to programming. Heh, six years later I?ve finally had a gutful of writing code and want to pursue art?

I?m not trying to sway your decision, but thought I?d mention the close relation of programming and engineering. From my own experiences, and quite a few of my old school mates, most people don?t know what they really want to do in life until years after leaving school. It?s always good to keep your options open. [:)]

What ever your go for, I hope it works out for you.

Submitted by bullet21 on Sun, 24/10/04 - 8:54 PM Permalink

Palantir: yeah, i will surely keep doing 3D just for fun, cos like you said it would be an awful waste of time and money if i didn't. But that's all it will be for. About engineering, i wasn't plaaning on doing Computer Engineering, more along the lines of Civil Engineering or robotics, which i don't think will have that much programming in it.

Thanx guys i will still stick around and i still love games as well so i might see you guys at places like the agdc and so on, but i dont think that if i went down this route i would be very succesful.

Submitted by tbag on Sun, 24/10/04 - 8:56 PM Permalink

Good luck, hopefully you will find a better, brighter future that interests you more [:p].

Personally, im not sure what i am going to do once i finish college, my friends and i are going to bum around and mooch off Ian Thorpe for awhile (not trying to brag, but thats the plan, his my best friends cousin [:p]).

Give us an update of where you stand everynow and then [:)].

Submitted by codyalday on Mon, 25/10/04 - 1:54 AM Permalink

Good luck in your life, and what ever you do. Also, make 3D as a hobby, never let it go.

Submitted by mcdrewski on Mon, 25/10/04 - 7:52 AM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by bullet21

About engineering, i wasn't plaaning on doing Computer Engineering, more along the lines of Civil Engineering or robotics, which i don't think will have that much programming in it.

Happy to chat if you'd like to talk about Engineering - I did the double degree BE (Electrical and Electrical Systems) / BInfTech (Software Engineering) at QUT an increasing number of years ago now, and am trying to move the other way - into games programming/3D :)

I can tell you without exaggeration that ( Engineering == Maths ). One of my good friends dropped out of Engineering and went back to do Science (Chemistry) mainly due to hating pure math. If you enjoy Chemistry then why not think about Science, Pharmacy or something similar?

Civil engineering is Math (Forces/Statics/Dynamics/Stresses etc.) There are at least four increasingly complex undergraduate subjects in.... wait for it.... Concrete.

Robotics engineering is a combination of Mechanical (Math) with Electrical/Electronic (Math/Programming) with Computing and Control (Programming). If there's anything worse than Control Systems Math then I don't want to find it :)

That all being said, about 80%+ of people that I know who did engineering of any stream are now working in Information Technology as Code Monkeys. I might be biased, but I find that engineering qualified people are foremost problem-solvers, and secondly engineers.

As I said - happy to talk if you'd like. I've been out of uni 5yrs (left high school at the end of 1993) so I'm an official Sumea Old Fogey. My only advice is to (try to) go with what you love doing.

Posted by bullet21 on
Forum

Recently i've been giving serious thought to my future in 3D and the games industry and have decided that the time has come to give it up. I have been honest with my self, and i don't think i have the creative or artistic ability you need to make 3D art for games. Motivation is another big problem.

You see, i thought it would be fun and i loved games (and still do) so i thought it would be a good idea for me to do it. But the fact is my brain is to left hemisphere oriented, you make me choose between art at school or Chemistry and i'd choose the latter most likely. While i could pursue programming, i actually hate it.

So i have decided to do something that will cater for my analytical needs like Engineering or something. I will occasionally come back to this site, but more for the games news then the industry stuff.

So Cheers to you all and i hope your future brings great prosperity.[:)]

Submitted by MoonUnit on Sat, 23/10/04 - 10:23 PM Permalink

well if where you want to be is outside the gaming industry, then good luck to you :) and have fun with it

Submitted by Kalescent on Sat, 23/10/04 - 10:45 PM Permalink

I hope my not writing a Unwrapping tut for you wasn't the reason [:P]

Good luck with your endeavours dude !

Submitted by palantir on Sun, 24/10/04 - 3:55 AM Permalink

Oh well, it?s good that you?ve found an avenue you will like.

Are you still interested in 3D as a hobby? It would be a shame to completely give up after how far you?ve come. Don?t forget that a lot of fun can be had just modding games and making art ? as a hobby. Art?s good for you, regardless if you?re a hobbyist or professional. [:)]

In any case, good luck with the future!

Submitted by montenague on Sun, 24/10/04 - 12:37 PM Permalink

Dont give up!
there are many faces of the gaming industry.
The business side is an important side.
You could even get into promotions, there are tons of small companies that would love some promotional guidance.

Look into a marketing course?
or a business course?

you cant make a game without funding, and business deals really.
good luck with whaterver you do, but think about the above mentioned.

Submitted by palantir on Sun, 24/10/04 - 4:38 PM Permalink

Hey man, I just thought I?d mention something I?ve learnt about engineering: if you hate programming, I can grantee that you will hate engineering. I started computer engineering when I first left school, and even just the entry level stuff was chock full of assembly programming (about the most low-level, difficult and boring programming you could do) and logic simulation ? programming Boolean logic with a circuit simulation program ? again one of the most low-level difficult things you could program. I hated all the low-level stuff but found I loved programming graphics (even if it was just extremely simple code), so I quit and changed to programming. Heh, six years later I?ve finally had a gutful of writing code and want to pursue art?

I?m not trying to sway your decision, but thought I?d mention the close relation of programming and engineering. From my own experiences, and quite a few of my old school mates, most people don?t know what they really want to do in life until years after leaving school. It?s always good to keep your options open. [:)]

What ever your go for, I hope it works out for you.

Submitted by bullet21 on Sun, 24/10/04 - 8:54 PM Permalink

Palantir: yeah, i will surely keep doing 3D just for fun, cos like you said it would be an awful waste of time and money if i didn't. But that's all it will be for. About engineering, i wasn't plaaning on doing Computer Engineering, more along the lines of Civil Engineering or robotics, which i don't think will have that much programming in it.

Thanx guys i will still stick around and i still love games as well so i might see you guys at places like the agdc and so on, but i dont think that if i went down this route i would be very succesful.

Submitted by tbag on Sun, 24/10/04 - 8:56 PM Permalink

Good luck, hopefully you will find a better, brighter future that interests you more [:p].

Personally, im not sure what i am going to do once i finish college, my friends and i are going to bum around and mooch off Ian Thorpe for awhile (not trying to brag, but thats the plan, his my best friends cousin [:p]).

Give us an update of where you stand everynow and then [:)].

Submitted by codyalday on Mon, 25/10/04 - 1:54 AM Permalink

Good luck in your life, and what ever you do. Also, make 3D as a hobby, never let it go.

Submitted by mcdrewski on Mon, 25/10/04 - 7:52 AM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by bullet21

About engineering, i wasn't plaaning on doing Computer Engineering, more along the lines of Civil Engineering or robotics, which i don't think will have that much programming in it.

Happy to chat if you'd like to talk about Engineering - I did the double degree BE (Electrical and Electrical Systems) / BInfTech (Software Engineering) at QUT an increasing number of years ago now, and am trying to move the other way - into games programming/3D :)

I can tell you without exaggeration that ( Engineering == Maths ). One of my good friends dropped out of Engineering and went back to do Science (Chemistry) mainly due to hating pure math. If you enjoy Chemistry then why not think about Science, Pharmacy or something similar?

Civil engineering is Math (Forces/Statics/Dynamics/Stresses etc.) There are at least four increasingly complex undergraduate subjects in.... wait for it.... Concrete.

Robotics engineering is a combination of Mechanical (Math) with Electrical/Electronic (Math/Programming) with Computing and Control (Programming). If there's anything worse than Control Systems Math then I don't want to find it :)

That all being said, about 80%+ of people that I know who did engineering of any stream are now working in Information Technology as Code Monkeys. I might be biased, but I find that engineering qualified people are foremost problem-solvers, and secondly engineers.

As I said - happy to talk if you'd like. I've been out of uni 5yrs (left high school at the end of 1993) so I'm an official Sumea Old Fogey. My only advice is to (try to) go with what you love doing.