Skip to main content

XBox DVD Question

Submitted by Kane on
Forum

this may be a bit of a weird question...but can you play DVD's with the XBox without the remote control...or do you have to buy the DVD Playback Kit?

Submitted by tachyon on Thu, 23/10/03 - 7:37 PM Permalink

you gotta buy the DVD playback kit. kinda retarded hey?

Submitted by Kane on Thu, 23/10/03 - 8:13 PM Permalink

yes...i think retarded is the word...[^]

Submitted by Happy Camper on Thu, 23/10/03 - 10:07 PM Permalink

I disagree. Consoles are for games...

... DVD players are for DVDs[:p].

Submitted by Aven on Thu, 23/10/03 - 10:13 PM Permalink

Happy Camper hit it straight on. well ecept fo the DVD player part. i tend to use my PC more as it is nearly always in front of me.

Submitted by Happy Camper on Thu, 23/10/03 - 10:18 PM Permalink

I use my PC as well but my DVD player usually gets preference since its got the better sound system, Leather reclining chairs and Large Screen.

Submitted by JonathanKerr on Thu, 23/10/03 - 11:17 PM Permalink

MS split the DVD unit from the Xbox because they wanted to give gamers the choice of buying something with the DVD software in it. PS2 launch suffered from gamers not being able to buy the PS2 for games because consumers where buying them for DVDs (hence the low software ratio attachment with the PS2 sales).

It's probably just a money making venture but I think it was a wise one. The demographic who buy the XBox probably already have a PS2 so why bother charging them for extra? Besides it could have pushed the price up more -- it's already got things other consoles dont have built into it. Mind you, the hardware in there is activated by the software in the remote pack, so perhaps I'm wrong.

Submitted by Aven on Thu, 23/10/03 - 11:26 PM Permalink

yeah MS wanted to make sure that their console played games and that was it. they said that their market research showed that most people who were looking at the Xbox seriously, already had fairly decent home entertainment systems. they had dvd players, big tvs and good suround sound setups. thats why they pushed their full 5.1 sound and ability to hook up with all sorts of tv inputs (with the right cable package :()

Submitted by redwyre on Sat, 25/10/03 - 12:42 AM Permalink

You can play DVDs without the remote if you mod your Xbox.. but with the remote is much better.

Don't you have to buy the remote for the PS2 as well?

Submitted by inglis on Sat, 25/10/03 - 12:51 AM Permalink

no. u just use the controller.

Submitted by tachyon on Sat, 25/10/03 - 2:43 AM Permalink

the XBox *does* come with DVD playing capabilities, but the only way to use it is to buy a DVD remote for. that is why it is retarded.

it is an obvious money making scheme, and it is a wise one too. Charge you for the DVD playing capabilities, but don't allow the consumer to use it unless they buy a remote control.

Submitted by rgsymons on Sat, 25/10/03 - 8:57 AM Permalink

MS did not want people whom do not play DVD's to pay for the licensing codes required to do so. (To have the DVD logo and DVD playback license fees must be paid to the owners of such IP.)

The "dongle" that comes with the IR unit contains the codecs, and in purchasing it you are paying for the right (license) to play DVD movies.

It is not so much a money making scheme as a cost per unit reduction scheme.

Cheers,

Ross.

Submitted by Aven on Sun, 26/10/03 - 7:14 PM Permalink

that is he same reason why TMPEG Mpeg Encoder (Tsunami) now costs money. it started out as a free app made by a guy as a self test. he released it for free, but the MPEG corp wanted royalties for using their codecs. he told them that he couldn't pay royalties when he was giving it away for free. i think you guess how the rest goes. if you are after an EXCELLENT MPEG encoder though, this is the one.

Posted by Kane on
Forum

this may be a bit of a weird question...but can you play DVD's with the XBox without the remote control...or do you have to buy the DVD Playback Kit?

Submitted by tachyon on Thu, 23/10/03 - 7:37 PM Permalink

you gotta buy the DVD playback kit. kinda retarded hey?

Submitted by Kane on Thu, 23/10/03 - 8:13 PM Permalink

yes...i think retarded is the word...[^]

Submitted by Happy Camper on Thu, 23/10/03 - 10:07 PM Permalink

I disagree. Consoles are for games...

... DVD players are for DVDs[:p].

Submitted by Aven on Thu, 23/10/03 - 10:13 PM Permalink

Happy Camper hit it straight on. well ecept fo the DVD player part. i tend to use my PC more as it is nearly always in front of me.

Submitted by Happy Camper on Thu, 23/10/03 - 10:18 PM Permalink

I use my PC as well but my DVD player usually gets preference since its got the better sound system, Leather reclining chairs and Large Screen.

Submitted by JonathanKerr on Thu, 23/10/03 - 11:17 PM Permalink

MS split the DVD unit from the Xbox because they wanted to give gamers the choice of buying something with the DVD software in it. PS2 launch suffered from gamers not being able to buy the PS2 for games because consumers where buying them for DVDs (hence the low software ratio attachment with the PS2 sales).

It's probably just a money making venture but I think it was a wise one. The demographic who buy the XBox probably already have a PS2 so why bother charging them for extra? Besides it could have pushed the price up more -- it's already got things other consoles dont have built into it. Mind you, the hardware in there is activated by the software in the remote pack, so perhaps I'm wrong.

Submitted by Aven on Thu, 23/10/03 - 11:26 PM Permalink

yeah MS wanted to make sure that their console played games and that was it. they said that their market research showed that most people who were looking at the Xbox seriously, already had fairly decent home entertainment systems. they had dvd players, big tvs and good suround sound setups. thats why they pushed their full 5.1 sound and ability to hook up with all sorts of tv inputs (with the right cable package :()

Submitted by redwyre on Sat, 25/10/03 - 12:42 AM Permalink

You can play DVDs without the remote if you mod your Xbox.. but with the remote is much better.

Don't you have to buy the remote for the PS2 as well?

Submitted by inglis on Sat, 25/10/03 - 12:51 AM Permalink

no. u just use the controller.

Submitted by tachyon on Sat, 25/10/03 - 2:43 AM Permalink

the XBox *does* come with DVD playing capabilities, but the only way to use it is to buy a DVD remote for. that is why it is retarded.

it is an obvious money making scheme, and it is a wise one too. Charge you for the DVD playing capabilities, but don't allow the consumer to use it unless they buy a remote control.

Submitted by rgsymons on Sat, 25/10/03 - 8:57 AM Permalink

MS did not want people whom do not play DVD's to pay for the licensing codes required to do so. (To have the DVD logo and DVD playback license fees must be paid to the owners of such IP.)

The "dongle" that comes with the IR unit contains the codecs, and in purchasing it you are paying for the right (license) to play DVD movies.

It is not so much a money making scheme as a cost per unit reduction scheme.

Cheers,

Ross.

Submitted by Aven on Sun, 26/10/03 - 7:14 PM Permalink

that is he same reason why TMPEG Mpeg Encoder (Tsunami) now costs money. it started out as a free app made by a guy as a self test. he released it for free, but the MPEG corp wanted royalties for using their codecs. he told them that he couldn't pay royalties when he was giving it away for free. i think you guess how the rest goes. if you are after an EXCELLENT MPEG encoder though, this is the one.