Skip to main content

Warlords IV artwork

Submitted by LeeSmith on

Warlords IV has just been released so I can show some of the work I did for the project, both of these pieces were used on the box for the game and I should have some more to show once the advertisements start showing up :)

[IMG]http://www.shawawa.com/i2/lichelord.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://www.shawawa.com/i2/orcmino.jpg[/IMG]

any comments or crits would be greatly appreciated!

Submitted by Aven on Thu, 23/10/03 - 8:37 PM Permalink

sweet shit dude. you want crits? um... i didn't do them? good enough?

in all seriousness. they are very nice. brilliant work

Submitted by jacobt on Fri, 24/10/03 - 2:07 AM Permalink

Yeah these are very nice indeed. Good work Lee! The second one is particularly impressiev :D

Submitted by Makk on Fri, 24/10/03 - 2:50 AM Permalink

Nice, I like the second one the most.
This is more of a personal choice rather then a crit, but they do (the first more so then the second) have a bit of a "dodge/burn" feel to them. Incorparting more colour varation (like in the flesh) and colour theory could change that.

Submitted by Kalescent on Tue, 28/10/03 - 8:51 AM Permalink

WOAaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!

wish i cud draw like that,.. and i love the dodge and burn tool! ( maybe thats why i suck at photoshop ) oh well,.. your work rocks man!

Submitted by Ninja on Wed, 29/10/03 - 6:35 AM Permalink

maaaaaaaaaaaaaaan THAT'S KICK ARSE !!!!! [:D] beautiful work Lee !!!

Submitted by Malus on Wed, 29/10/03 - 8:55 PM Permalink

Very nicely done, do you have any progress shots? It would be very interesting to see your workflow.

Submitted by LeeSmith on Thu, 30/10/03 - 9:55 PM Permalink

unfortunately I don't have any progress shots, I do have a black and white lineart version kicking around somewhere but I don't think that will help a great deal. My process is very simple, I do a high contrast black and white piece and then turn it into a multiply layer in Photoshop and paint beneath it. When it's getting near to complete I may flatten the layers and work out some of the harsher lines if needed.

Submitted by JonathanKerr on Fri, 31/10/03 - 12:51 AM Permalink

If I were to offer any criticisms, it's that the steam coming out of the Minotaurs nose looks like steam coming out of a pipe or valve. It's shape seems very defined. I realise it's a stylistic choice, though.

The Orc doesn't look like he has a nose. Really like the colouring but my favourite bits are probably the background of the crowds and carnage going on.

The first pic is pretty cool - trying to work out if the face is a mask or an actual face. There's no chin present. Still cool tho'.

Posted by LeeSmith on

Warlords IV has just been released so I can show some of the work I did for the project, both of these pieces were used on the box for the game and I should have some more to show once the advertisements start showing up :)

[IMG]http://www.shawawa.com/i2/lichelord.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://www.shawawa.com/i2/orcmino.jpg[/IMG]

any comments or crits would be greatly appreciated!

Submitted by Aven on Thu, 23/10/03 - 8:37 PM Permalink

sweet shit dude. you want crits? um... i didn't do them? good enough?

in all seriousness. they are very nice. brilliant work

Submitted by jacobt on Fri, 24/10/03 - 2:07 AM Permalink

Yeah these are very nice indeed. Good work Lee! The second one is particularly impressiev :D

Submitted by Makk on Fri, 24/10/03 - 2:50 AM Permalink

Nice, I like the second one the most.
This is more of a personal choice rather then a crit, but they do (the first more so then the second) have a bit of a "dodge/burn" feel to them. Incorparting more colour varation (like in the flesh) and colour theory could change that.

Submitted by Kalescent on Tue, 28/10/03 - 8:51 AM Permalink

WOAaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!

wish i cud draw like that,.. and i love the dodge and burn tool! ( maybe thats why i suck at photoshop ) oh well,.. your work rocks man!

Submitted by Ninja on Wed, 29/10/03 - 6:35 AM Permalink

maaaaaaaaaaaaaaan THAT'S KICK ARSE !!!!! [:D] beautiful work Lee !!!

Submitted by Malus on Wed, 29/10/03 - 8:55 PM Permalink

Very nicely done, do you have any progress shots? It would be very interesting to see your workflow.

Submitted by LeeSmith on Thu, 30/10/03 - 9:55 PM Permalink

unfortunately I don't have any progress shots, I do have a black and white lineart version kicking around somewhere but I don't think that will help a great deal. My process is very simple, I do a high contrast black and white piece and then turn it into a multiply layer in Photoshop and paint beneath it. When it's getting near to complete I may flatten the layers and work out some of the harsher lines if needed.

Submitted by JonathanKerr on Fri, 31/10/03 - 12:51 AM Permalink

If I were to offer any criticisms, it's that the steam coming out of the Minotaurs nose looks like steam coming out of a pipe or valve. It's shape seems very defined. I realise it's a stylistic choice, though.

The Orc doesn't look like he has a nose. Really like the colouring but my favourite bits are probably the background of the crowds and carnage going on.

The first pic is pretty cool - trying to work out if the face is a mask or an actual face. There's no chin present. Still cool tho'.