Skip to main content

Neffys uber work

This is my current WIP that im going to have to find time to finish it and work on my comp entry.

Im trying to keep her within a 3000 polygon range i think shes a few over i can cut down on some areas tho :)

you can view the concept art i drew here [url]http://www.deviantart.com/view/31330900/[/url]

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v105/Nefquareiel/allvies.jpg[/img]
[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v105/Nefquareiel/closeups.jpg[/IMG]

All comments and crits are greatly appreciated <3

Submitted by souri on Mon, 26/06/06 - 7:19 PM Permalink

Hey, that's look pretty sweet. I know it's a WIP, and it's a little rough in areas with texturing, but it's coming along very well. I love the proportions and the styalised look to her face as well.

Submitted by Neffy on Tue, 27/06/06 - 4:43 AM Permalink

Thankyou for the reply <3
The texture is coming along when ever i get the chance to work on it >.<, just getting in some basics for now so i can see how it looks all together then refine it all later. Probably wont be able to work on this gal for the next 2 weeks but after that ill sit down and really finish her off.

Submitted by Johnn on Fri, 07/07/06 - 10:12 PM Permalink

Aww! I kinda liked the weapons on the conpect piece better - they were reminicent of bats in shape, tying in with the ranger theme a little more... personal opinion only though.

Her body shape is really good, and looks great in profile. I initially thought her hands were a little too big, but realised that I was judging them against her head size, which might be a fraction small?

Submitted by Neffy on Sat, 12/08/06 - 4:29 AM Permalink

Well i finished my ranger, i even rigged her but i cant come up with a pose :( i guess because she is a random character i created for modeling ... i havent drawn her in 2d to get a sorta personality or feeling for how she should pose. I may keep working on it but for now she is done ^_^ i dont have any recent renders on me tho there all at school haha suckers.

Anyways new character woot !

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v105/Nefquareiel/jbrett_modelsheetcop…]

Submitted by MoonUnit on Sat, 12/08/06 - 11:56 PM Permalink

Interesting allthough for a seemingly demonic princess getup she has a bit of childrens cartoon tv friendly face. Lets see a scowl! :D

Submitted by Makk on Mon, 28/08/06 - 3:15 AM Permalink

Coming along well Neffy, i like the design.
Somethings to consider are the height at which the eyes are on the face. At the moment they are too high up, also the bridge of the nose is might want to be less distanct (Eg- the shadows at the sides are a bit too strong).
Could do with some more contrast, some darker shadows especially to help things stand apart.

Submitted by Neffy on Mon, 28/08/06 - 8:21 AM Permalink

I can see what you mean about the eyes and nose, thanks ill fix that up asap
yea i always forget to use dark shadows, ill attempt to do darker ones as well

thanks for the feedback ill try my best to put it to good use :D

Submitted by GuyBrave on Mon, 28/08/06 - 8:51 AM Permalink

I know its not that big a thing, but I really liked how in the concept, the spikes on the skirt were curved. In the model though, they are all straight and stuff and don't have that same awesomeness...... its a minor detail though I guess.....

Submitted by J I Styles on Mon, 28/08/06 - 8:26 PM Permalink

Apologies if this gets long, I've been meaning to give you a thorough crit for a while.

Neffy -- you're improving quite rapidly which is great to see; your strongest point you're demonstrating here is definitely design. You've got a lot of interesting elements working well togethor to form a cohesive and cool looking character, very good job. Secondly to this your low poly skills look sound - modelling/unwrapping/texturing.

Having said all this, the areas I see that you could benifit from focusing on are your texturing and art style; Your texturing mainly is to do with contrast and material consistency (at the moment the hair is the only surface that looks visually different besides just its colour). Style is a pretty hard thing to approach -- you're developing your own style and it's working. This is good. But this can also be a problem at the same time; if you're doing this as a career then it's a very important skill to be able to conform and match to generalised set styles.

I hope this feedback has given you something to think about, keep it up -- I think you're doing a fantastic job! [:)]

Submitted by Sorceror Bob on Tue, 29/08/06 - 8:26 AM Permalink

I'm really digging the style in the first character. I'd love to see an entire game based around it.

But to make my critique as succinct as possible.

What Joel said.

Submitted by Neffy on Wed, 30/08/06 - 6:14 AM Permalink

Shane: After looking at it for awhile now I tend to agree with you, ill see how curvy looks when I get back to school I have a feeling it will be better though!

J.I: I agree with what your saying, the texturing is something I'm trying to improve on alot its being difficult. I guess my aim for the end of the week will be to add more contrast. With the materials do I need to make them more different from each other or more similar? Some are just basic colour atm others have faded bone/material textures slapped over them. I think it?d benefit if I make those more pronounced so you can tell that yes this is metal and that?s bone and that?s material. Is that what you where getting at or have I just confused my self hehe :P
I do plan to make a career in 3d one day, I?m a bit worried about my style being too stylized, I might do some models in a more generalized style to prove I can do them for places I?m applying for.

Bob: Awesome ! I?ve grown to hate her -_- the skirt and belt where such a bad idea now I?m trying rig her up.

Submitted by Johnn on Wed, 30/08/06 - 11:20 PM Permalink

my 2 cents on the style thing that JI has mentioned: keep practicing design basics- anatomy,colour theory, perspective, composition etc. If you can master these basics you should have little problems adopting any styles/techniques that suits your needs in the future (handy in a commercial artist sense). Understanding these basics will also help you attain a new richness in your own style, as you will have a better understanding of what to stylise, how to stylise it and what effects these stylisations will have on your overall design.

...but it looks like you are taking this approach more or less anyways :)

Submitted by J I Styles on Thu, 31/08/06 - 2:50 AM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by Neffy
J.I: I agree with what your saying, the texturing is something I'm trying to improve on alot its being difficult. I guess my aim for the end of the week will be to add more contrast. With the materials do I need to make them more different from each other or more similar? Some are just basic colour atm others have faded bone/material textures slapped over them. I think it?d benefit if I make those more pronounced so you can tell that yes this is metal and that?s bone and that?s material. Is that what you where getting at or have I just confused my self hehe :P
I do plan to make a career in 3d one day, I?m a bit worried about my style being too stylized, I might do some models in a more generalized style to prove I can do them for places I?m applying for.

Definitely sounds like you're getting my meaning -- At the moment your textures are reading too flat, and not communicating what the surface type is very well. So cloth could be near the same as skin, or leathers. At the moment your texturing ability is simply lacking knowledge and study, two things that are very easy to improve upon with a bit of practice. For hard theory that's been written to be more relevant and directly usable for artists, check out Prom's tut here:

http://www.itchstudios.com/psg/art_tut.htm

I seem to be recommending that resource a whole heap recently, it really is a good cheat sheet of all the important info you should learn. Get some coloured shades into it, and texture variations in hue and tone. Give it a bit of history (the bone on your last character for example -- bleaching and staining areas would give it a whole lot more life as well as differences between rough areas and smoother bleached areas etc.) Giving it some specularity (both sharp and gloss) helps describe differences in surface too. Anyways, have a read up on that tut I posted, and maybe give a few things a try on your texture? I hope it helps you out, you're doing really well Neffy! [:)]

Submitted by Neffy on Fri, 01/09/06 - 6:32 AM Permalink

JohnN: I am trying to venture into areas I don?t draw often, like males and animals hehe ill keep up the practice on the areas u mentioned as well for sure.

J.I: Thanks a heap for the tutorial, I skimmed over it and I can definitely put all that knowledge to good use, its just what I think I need ^_^ it all seems so confusing atm and a heap of work but ill get there with some time hehehe

Anyway here?s and update, unfortunately I found out she?s due on Friday and I still haven?t imported her into unreal XD (one of the assignment requirements) so I had to stop on my texture work with only a little bit of stuff added based on feedback. BUT NEVA FEAR this is not the end of necromancer girl (gawd she needs a name)

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v105/Nefquareiel/LEft2.jpg[/IMG]

Submitted by GuyBrave on Sat, 02/09/06 - 3:40 AM Permalink

are you going to post any videos of her? she looked very cool in UT....

Submitted by Neffy on Sat, 02/09/06 - 8:07 AM Permalink

i dont know where to upload movies :*(

*Edit*

I was able to upload it to Deviant art (you need to click download on left hand side of page - orange icon )
http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/39105010/
its just showing her of in game doing alot of the unreal animations

Submitted by Neffy on Tue, 24/10/06 - 5:05 PM Permalink

Thanks everyone !!

I?ve been working on stuff for my demo reel so here?s a few quick renders I?ve been doing along the way.

The alien dude is Gabe :) you?ll hear more about him soon -_^

Submitted by Killa Dee on Wed, 06/06/07 - 2:43 AM Permalink

looks like a solid start neffy, keep up the great work!

Submitted by davidcoen on Fri, 17/08/07 - 6:38 AM Permalink

looks good and cool design,

the side profile worries me a bit, the arms seem a bit thin front to back (bit more depth for the bicepts?) and the back of the skull seems a bit small for the face (i am predjudice to have eyes halfway up the face, changing this ratio makes expect to see a larger back of head to put the brain in...)

sometimes there are little clasps or weights to help hold down the ends of tassels on fantasy skirts, and i wasn't going to mention the width of the thighs (not use to seeing leg muscles go out that far unless sitting down, standing up they seem a bit big, but she might do a lot of leg work so i don't know....

i have a bit fetish about global illumination shadows being burnt into textures to help spatial association of masses, and think that could help visually distinguish the layers of the design....

but cool work, more developed than any of my designs

Submitted by davidcoen on Fri, 17/08/07 - 6:42 AM Permalink

FYI, the above comment was made about images of Nefquareiel on the first page of the thread, i had not noticed that there where several mode pages (my bad)

Posted by Neffy on

This is my current WIP that im going to have to find time to finish it and work on my comp entry.

Im trying to keep her within a 3000 polygon range i think shes a few over i can cut down on some areas tho :)

you can view the concept art i drew here [url]http://www.deviantart.com/view/31330900/[/url]

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v105/Nefquareiel/allvies.jpg[/img]
[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v105/Nefquareiel/closeups.jpg[/IMG]

All comments and crits are greatly appreciated <3

Submitted by souri on Mon, 26/06/06 - 7:19 PM Permalink

Hey, that's look pretty sweet. I know it's a WIP, and it's a little rough in areas with texturing, but it's coming along very well. I love the proportions and the styalised look to her face as well.

Submitted by Neffy on Tue, 27/06/06 - 4:43 AM Permalink

Thankyou for the reply <3
The texture is coming along when ever i get the chance to work on it >.<, just getting in some basics for now so i can see how it looks all together then refine it all later. Probably wont be able to work on this gal for the next 2 weeks but after that ill sit down and really finish her off.

Submitted by Johnn on Fri, 07/07/06 - 10:12 PM Permalink

Aww! I kinda liked the weapons on the conpect piece better - they were reminicent of bats in shape, tying in with the ranger theme a little more... personal opinion only though.

Her body shape is really good, and looks great in profile. I initially thought her hands were a little too big, but realised that I was judging them against her head size, which might be a fraction small?

Submitted by Neffy on Sat, 12/08/06 - 4:29 AM Permalink

Well i finished my ranger, i even rigged her but i cant come up with a pose :( i guess because she is a random character i created for modeling ... i havent drawn her in 2d to get a sorta personality or feeling for how she should pose. I may keep working on it but for now she is done ^_^ i dont have any recent renders on me tho there all at school haha suckers.

Anyways new character woot !

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v105/Nefquareiel/jbrett_modelsheetcop…]

Submitted by MoonUnit on Sat, 12/08/06 - 11:56 PM Permalink

Interesting allthough for a seemingly demonic princess getup she has a bit of childrens cartoon tv friendly face. Lets see a scowl! :D

Submitted by Makk on Mon, 28/08/06 - 3:15 AM Permalink

Coming along well Neffy, i like the design.
Somethings to consider are the height at which the eyes are on the face. At the moment they are too high up, also the bridge of the nose is might want to be less distanct (Eg- the shadows at the sides are a bit too strong).
Could do with some more contrast, some darker shadows especially to help things stand apart.

Submitted by Neffy on Mon, 28/08/06 - 8:21 AM Permalink

I can see what you mean about the eyes and nose, thanks ill fix that up asap
yea i always forget to use dark shadows, ill attempt to do darker ones as well

thanks for the feedback ill try my best to put it to good use :D

Submitted by GuyBrave on Mon, 28/08/06 - 8:51 AM Permalink

I know its not that big a thing, but I really liked how in the concept, the spikes on the skirt were curved. In the model though, they are all straight and stuff and don't have that same awesomeness...... its a minor detail though I guess.....

Submitted by J I Styles on Mon, 28/08/06 - 8:26 PM Permalink

Apologies if this gets long, I've been meaning to give you a thorough crit for a while.

Neffy -- you're improving quite rapidly which is great to see; your strongest point you're demonstrating here is definitely design. You've got a lot of interesting elements working well togethor to form a cohesive and cool looking character, very good job. Secondly to this your low poly skills look sound - modelling/unwrapping/texturing.

Having said all this, the areas I see that you could benifit from focusing on are your texturing and art style; Your texturing mainly is to do with contrast and material consistency (at the moment the hair is the only surface that looks visually different besides just its colour). Style is a pretty hard thing to approach -- you're developing your own style and it's working. This is good. But this can also be a problem at the same time; if you're doing this as a career then it's a very important skill to be able to conform and match to generalised set styles.

I hope this feedback has given you something to think about, keep it up -- I think you're doing a fantastic job! [:)]

Submitted by Sorceror Bob on Tue, 29/08/06 - 8:26 AM Permalink

I'm really digging the style in the first character. I'd love to see an entire game based around it.

But to make my critique as succinct as possible.

What Joel said.

Submitted by Neffy on Wed, 30/08/06 - 6:14 AM Permalink

Shane: After looking at it for awhile now I tend to agree with you, ill see how curvy looks when I get back to school I have a feeling it will be better though!

Bob: Awesome ! I?ve grown to hate her -_- the skirt and belt where such a bad idea now I?m trying rig her up.

Submitted by Johnn on Wed, 30/08/06 - 11:20 PM Permalink

my 2 cents on the style thing that JI has mentioned: keep practicing design basics- anatomy,colour theory, perspective, composition etc. If you can master these basics you should have little problems adopting any styles/techniques that suits your needs in the future (handy in a commercial artist sense). Understanding these basics will also help you attain a new richness in your own style, as you will have a better understanding of what to stylise, how to stylise it and what effects these stylisations will have on your overall design.

...but it looks like you are taking this approach more or less anyways :)

Submitted by J I Styles on Thu, 31/08/06 - 2:50 AM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by Neffy

Definitely sounds like you're getting my meaning -- At the moment your textures are reading too flat, and not communicating what the surface type is very well. So cloth could be near the same as skin, or leathers. At the moment your texturing ability is simply lacking knowledge and study, two things that are very easy to improve upon with a bit of practice. For hard theory that's been written to be more relevant and directly usable for artists, check out Prom's tut here:

http://www.itchstudios.com/psg/art_tut.htm

I seem to be recommending that resource a whole heap recently, it really is a good cheat sheet of all the important info you should learn. Get some coloured shades into it, and texture variations in hue and tone. Give it a bit of history (the bone on your last character for example -- bleaching and staining areas would give it a whole lot more life as well as differences between rough areas and smoother bleached areas etc.) Giving it some specularity (both sharp and gloss) helps describe differences in surface too. Anyways, have a read up on that tut I posted, and maybe give a few things a try on your texture? I hope it helps you out, you're doing really well Neffy! [:)]

Submitted by Neffy on Fri, 01/09/06 - 6:32 AM Permalink

JohnN: I am trying to venture into areas I don?t draw often, like males and animals hehe ill keep up the practice on the areas u mentioned as well for sure.

J.I: Thanks a heap for the tutorial, I skimmed over it and I can definitely put all that knowledge to good use, its just what I think I need ^_^ it all seems so confusing atm and a heap of work but ill get there with some time hehehe

Anyway here?s and update, unfortunately I found out she?s due on Friday and I still haven?t imported her into unreal XD (one of the assignment requirements) so I had to stop on my texture work with only a little bit of stuff added based on feedback. BUT NEVA FEAR this is not the end of necromancer girl (gawd she needs a name)

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v105/Nefquareiel/LEft2.jpg[/IMG]

Submitted by GuyBrave on Sat, 02/09/06 - 3:40 AM Permalink

are you going to post any videos of her? she looked very cool in UT....

Submitted by Neffy on Sat, 02/09/06 - 8:07 AM Permalink

i dont know where to upload movies :*(

*Edit*

I was able to upload it to Deviant art (you need to click download on left hand side of page - orange icon )
http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/39105010/
its just showing her of in game doing alot of the unreal animations

Submitted by Neffy on Tue, 24/10/06 - 5:05 PM Permalink

Thanks everyone !!

I?ve been working on stuff for my demo reel so here?s a few quick renders I?ve been doing along the way.

The alien dude is Gabe :) you?ll hear more about him soon -_^

Submitted by Killa Dee on Wed, 06/06/07 - 2:43 AM Permalink

looks like a solid start neffy, keep up the great work!

Submitted by davidcoen on Fri, 17/08/07 - 6:38 AM Permalink

looks good and cool design,

the side profile worries me a bit, the arms seem a bit thin front to back (bit more depth for the bicepts?) and the back of the skull seems a bit small for the face (i am predjudice to have eyes halfway up the face, changing this ratio makes expect to see a larger back of head to put the brain in...)

sometimes there are little clasps or weights to help hold down the ends of tassels on fantasy skirts, and i wasn't going to mention the width of the thighs (not use to seeing leg muscles go out that far unless sitting down, standing up they seem a bit big, but she might do a lot of leg work so i don't know....

i have a bit fetish about global illumination shadows being burnt into textures to help spatial association of masses, and think that could help visually distinguish the layers of the design....

but cool work, more developed than any of my designs

Submitted by davidcoen on Fri, 17/08/07 - 6:42 AM Permalink

FYI, the above comment was made about images of Nefquareiel on the first page of the thread, i had not noticed that there where several mode pages (my bad)