Skip to main content

tech help: "out of video memory"

Submitted by MoonUnit on
Forum

this, or something similar is popping up with allmost every game i try to run now. Im not entirely sure what it means and i cant seem to find an answer anywhere (well ok its self explanitory but i was un-aware of video memory). Does anyone know what i can do to fix this problem.

At present i am using a onboard SiS graphics card (yeah i know it stinks something bad, but i dont have the money right now for a gfx card) that has caused me no trouble beyond low frame rates in the past, now this. Anyone got any ideas?

Submitted by Blitz on Tue, 23/03/04 - 10:22 AM Permalink

If it's on-board there may be BIOS settings that allow you to change the amount of system RAM dedicated to the video processor. The settings may be "How much memory to allow for AGP" or something but i'm not sure.
If not, you're just gonna have to upgrade :)
CYer, Blitz

Edit:
If it automatically uses free system memory for video memory, then you could make sure you aren't running any other programs in the background when playing games to free up memory.

Submitted by DaMunkee on Tue, 23/03/04 - 9:54 PM Permalink

MoonUnit, Do you happen to know the name/model of your motherboard? If so, that information can be benificial for us to help you out :)

At least on my laptop (onboard POS graphics card) I have limited control over the amount of system memory I can allocate for it (like Blitz was discribing). Depending on the Make and Model of the Motherboard these setting will vary. At least here in the US, Memory is crazy cheap and if your Motherboard does give you freedom to reallocate the amount that's dedicated to the Graphics Processor, you may be able to pick up a stick of ram for a whole lot cheaper then a new video card.

Submitted by MoonUnit on Wed, 24/03/04 - 6:09 AM Permalink

i plan on upgrading ofcourse, but only when i have the mony to spare (ummm my job sucks?)

Posted by MoonUnit on
Forum

this, or something similar is popping up with allmost every game i try to run now. Im not entirely sure what it means and i cant seem to find an answer anywhere (well ok its self explanitory but i was un-aware of video memory). Does anyone know what i can do to fix this problem.

At present i am using a onboard SiS graphics card (yeah i know it stinks something bad, but i dont have the money right now for a gfx card) that has caused me no trouble beyond low frame rates in the past, now this. Anyone got any ideas?

Submitted by Blitz on Tue, 23/03/04 - 10:22 AM Permalink

If it's on-board there may be BIOS settings that allow you to change the amount of system RAM dedicated to the video processor. The settings may be "How much memory to allow for AGP" or something but i'm not sure.
If not, you're just gonna have to upgrade :)
CYer, Blitz

Edit:
If it automatically uses free system memory for video memory, then you could make sure you aren't running any other programs in the background when playing games to free up memory.

Submitted by DaMunkee on Tue, 23/03/04 - 9:54 PM Permalink

MoonUnit, Do you happen to know the name/model of your motherboard? If so, that information can be benificial for us to help you out :)

At least on my laptop (onboard POS graphics card) I have limited control over the amount of system memory I can allocate for it (like Blitz was discribing). Depending on the Make and Model of the Motherboard these setting will vary. At least here in the US, Memory is crazy cheap and if your Motherboard does give you freedom to reallocate the amount that's dedicated to the Graphics Processor, you may be able to pick up a stick of ram for a whole lot cheaper then a new video card.

Submitted by MoonUnit on Wed, 24/03/04 - 6:09 AM Permalink

i plan on upgrading ofcourse, but only when i have the mony to spare (ummm my job sucks?)