Skip to main content

Anime Stores

Submitted by bullet21 on
Forum

I'm a massive fan of Anime cartoons. And recently i've been getting even more heavily into them, especially after we watched Ghost in the Shell for Media. But I was wondering if you guys know of anywhere that sells heaps of Anime cartoons on DVD or something in Victoria. I mean animes like Dragon Ball Z and GT as well as full metal Alchemist and Ninja Scrolls which are my favourite. Guidance will be apreciated.

Submitted by TheBigJ on Thu, 22/07/04 - 2:43 AM Permalink

Most JB HIFI stores have a sizeable anime collection.

Submitted by MoonUnit on Thu, 22/07/04 - 2:53 AM Permalink

im not entirely sure of the location other then its on the road beside windsor station on the sandringham line, but theres a shop called "alternate worlds" that does animie, but they mostly do the manga (ie. comics not animated) (look em up in the phone book).

Submitted by bullet21 on Thu, 22/07/04 - 3:33 AM Permalink

Do JB hifis have a collection, i've been to heaps maybe i don't really pay attention to it as i usually go for music. And my mate told me of a place called animezone in box hill which is closer and prolly the one i'll go to.

Submitted by TheBigJ on Thu, 22/07/04 - 3:46 AM Permalink

Well, I've only been to a couple JB stores in Melbourne but some of the ones here in Brisbane (City, Indooroopilly) have their own Anime section with hundreds of titles.

Submitted by Daemin on Thu, 22/07/04 - 9:36 AM Permalink

So far I've seen reasonable collections these stores (Given this is in Adelaide, but it should apply to the same branded stores elsewhere in Australia) JB-HiFi - they have a pretty damn large and decent collection, check around a few stores to get the whole range available, Borders (smallish collection in the DVD section), then check the department stores, since they usually have some of the more popular ones in stock.

I was buying anime all at the start of the year, but right now I forgot most of the decent places due to lack of funds. :-(

Submitted by Aven on Thu, 22/07/04 - 8:01 PM Permalink

Thank you for finally changing your avatar Bullet. Arucard is much better than Snoop :p

JB does have a fairly decent collection. The one in Canberra has become less stocked over the years though :( The other thing I noticed about JB, is that their boxed sets are often very cheap, but their singular ones are often more expensive than most places.

EzyDVD can often have some good ones (The only place that had Excel Saga 1-5).

Always check out the major chains. BigW, Kmart, Target, etc. They don't have great collections, but you can often get them quite cheap.

If you don't mind online purchasing, then The Cartoon Gallery (www.cartoongallery.com.au) up in Sydney is quite good. Their postage is really good. Just stay away from their imports. They are very expensive. They also get in some very cool releases of the Syudio Ghibli titles straight from Japan (Tonari no Totoro). They are very expensive (AUS$120), but no more than getting them from Ebay.

If you are after imports, then go to DVD Pacific (www.dvdpacific.com). Their prices are good and their shipping is also decent. The only problem is that their search engine blows. Make sure you use exact titles.

You can of course use Ebay as well. You can often score some really rare DVDs from there (American tinned version of Akira :) ).

Submitted by bullet21 on Thu, 22/07/04 - 10:23 PM Permalink

quote:Thank you for finally changing your avatar Bullet. Arucard is much better than Snoop

LOL, yeah Hellsing's another one im looking for. He would kick snoops arse as well. Anyway, it's box sets im mainly after as well. I haven't really bought many before so in animes how many would you usually get on a DVD and in a box set.

Submitted by Blitz on Fri, 23/07/04 - 12:01 AM Permalink

JB Hifi is really good for cheap popular anime, and they are genearlly ok for box sets of less popular anime too.
Is full metal alchemist available in australia yet?
Anyway, to check for available titles (or buy online) try www.madman.com.au since they do basically all australian anime releases. Pretty much any non-imported anime dvd in australia is made by them. Check out their forum for news on coming releases etc. too. Their prices aren't fantastic, they are normal RRP, but they do have everything :)
Electronics Boutique also have a reasonable selection of anime (depending on which store), and usually have slightly better than retail prices, but not always.
CYer, Blitz

Submitted by Aven on Fri, 23/07/04 - 12:25 AM Permalink

Bullet - Helsing is really cool. Not as much action as the trailer leads you to believe, but it is still great. I just hope they do another run of it. There are some things I would really like to know.

Posted by bullet21 on
Forum

I'm a massive fan of Anime cartoons. And recently i've been getting even more heavily into them, especially after we watched Ghost in the Shell for Media. But I was wondering if you guys know of anywhere that sells heaps of Anime cartoons on DVD or something in Victoria. I mean animes like Dragon Ball Z and GT as well as full metal Alchemist and Ninja Scrolls which are my favourite. Guidance will be apreciated.

Submitted by TheBigJ on Thu, 22/07/04 - 2:43 AM Permalink

Most JB HIFI stores have a sizeable anime collection.

Submitted by MoonUnit on Thu, 22/07/04 - 2:53 AM Permalink

im not entirely sure of the location other then its on the road beside windsor station on the sandringham line, but theres a shop called "alternate worlds" that does animie, but they mostly do the manga (ie. comics not animated) (look em up in the phone book).

Submitted by bullet21 on Thu, 22/07/04 - 3:33 AM Permalink

Do JB hifis have a collection, i've been to heaps maybe i don't really pay attention to it as i usually go for music. And my mate told me of a place called animezone in box hill which is closer and prolly the one i'll go to.

Submitted by TheBigJ on Thu, 22/07/04 - 3:46 AM Permalink

Well, I've only been to a couple JB stores in Melbourne but some of the ones here in Brisbane (City, Indooroopilly) have their own Anime section with hundreds of titles.

Submitted by Daemin on Thu, 22/07/04 - 9:36 AM Permalink

So far I've seen reasonable collections these stores (Given this is in Adelaide, but it should apply to the same branded stores elsewhere in Australia) JB-HiFi - they have a pretty damn large and decent collection, check around a few stores to get the whole range available, Borders (smallish collection in the DVD section), then check the department stores, since they usually have some of the more popular ones in stock.

I was buying anime all at the start of the year, but right now I forgot most of the decent places due to lack of funds. :-(

Submitted by Aven on Thu, 22/07/04 - 8:01 PM Permalink

Thank you for finally changing your avatar Bullet. Arucard is much better than Snoop :p

JB does have a fairly decent collection. The one in Canberra has become less stocked over the years though :( The other thing I noticed about JB, is that their boxed sets are often very cheap, but their singular ones are often more expensive than most places.

EzyDVD can often have some good ones (The only place that had Excel Saga 1-5).

Always check out the major chains. BigW, Kmart, Target, etc. They don't have great collections, but you can often get them quite cheap.

If you don't mind online purchasing, then The Cartoon Gallery (www.cartoongallery.com.au) up in Sydney is quite good. Their postage is really good. Just stay away from their imports. They are very expensive. They also get in some very cool releases of the Syudio Ghibli titles straight from Japan (Tonari no Totoro). They are very expensive (AUS$120), but no more than getting them from Ebay.

If you are after imports, then go to DVD Pacific (www.dvdpacific.com). Their prices are good and their shipping is also decent. The only problem is that their search engine blows. Make sure you use exact titles.

You can of course use Ebay as well. You can often score some really rare DVDs from there (American tinned version of Akira :) ).

Submitted by bullet21 on Thu, 22/07/04 - 10:23 PM Permalink

quote:Thank you for finally changing your avatar Bullet. Arucard is much better than Snoop

LOL, yeah Hellsing's another one im looking for. He would kick snoops arse as well. Anyway, it's box sets im mainly after as well. I haven't really bought many before so in animes how many would you usually get on a DVD and in a box set.

Submitted by Blitz on Fri, 23/07/04 - 12:01 AM Permalink

JB Hifi is really good for cheap popular anime, and they are genearlly ok for box sets of less popular anime too.
Is full metal alchemist available in australia yet?
Anyway, to check for available titles (or buy online) try www.madman.com.au since they do basically all australian anime releases. Pretty much any non-imported anime dvd in australia is made by them. Check out their forum for news on coming releases etc. too. Their prices aren't fantastic, they are normal RRP, but they do have everything :)
Electronics Boutique also have a reasonable selection of anime (depending on which store), and usually have slightly better than retail prices, but not always.
CYer, Blitz

Submitted by Aven on Fri, 23/07/04 - 12:25 AM Permalink

Bullet - Helsing is really cool. Not as much action as the trailer leads you to believe, but it is still great. I just hope they do another run of it. There are some things I would really like to know.