Skip to main content

FBI raids house over HL2 code

Submitted by Satyrblood on
Forum

The FBI raided the home of [url="http://squeedlyspooch.com/blog/archives/000072.html"]this guy[/url] as he/his housemate are suspects in the Valve/HL2 source code theft. The agents were looking for any IP addresses used by the internal/external Valve networks, and any Valve usernames/passwords.

If these guys are found guilty, they can be punished to the full extent of the law. I'm really thinking capital punishment, being as they made us wait for HL2 and all. ;)

It's about time that these 1337 d00dz got punished....

Submitted by JonathanKerr on Tue, 20/01/04 - 7:44 PM Permalink

Serves em right. Hacker-nerds need a good ol' shit kickin'. That'll teach em.

Seriously tho' -- this is serious infringement. Who are they trying to impress? Please keep the hacking to govt services, thank you.

Submitted by Malus on Tue, 20/01/04 - 8:58 PM Permalink

I don't really think anyone deserves to be hacked by little script kiddies and their kind, even government services. (please don't tell me you'd like youe electricity cut off for a week because someone hacked there control systems [:P])

It just comes down to the fact that these small people have no self confidence and need some form of a win in their lives to feel worthy!! Pimple dicks. Get a life and keep out of other peoples!

Hope they enjoy their time as bitches in a medium security jail in the states. [:P]

Submitted by Daemin on Wed, 21/01/04 - 12:30 AM Permalink

hackers - nah, that's the wrong phrase Jonothan, you're looking for "dickheads" or "script kiddies".

Hackers are people who love coding computer stuff, and who do great things with that, like Linus Torvalds, and the numberous other people who do GPL stuff.

Submitted by Maitrek on Wed, 21/01/04 - 1:16 AM Permalink

That's Linus, not linux torvalds :P
Either way, I don't know who these black-hatters were kidding. If they thought they would come out smelling like roses they were obviously quite full of themselves. IP theft of this magnitude should be, and is, taken very seriously and it's very likely they'll end up in a prison cell for a while, and upon release, will bear conditions such as not being able to use a computer for years and years.

It's always was a stupid move to make, we'll just see if it actually catches up with whoever made it.

Submitted by bullet21 on Wed, 21/01/04 - 4:19 AM Permalink

Don't FBI get guns, if i was in FBI i would have executed em Manhunt Style crowbar to the back of the neck. Wut kind of juvenile dickwad could get a thrill from ruining someone elses hard work.

But in a way it was a good thing. It show not only the HL2 creators but other game developers as well that u can never have enough security.

Submitted by Malus on Wed, 21/01/04 - 5:57 AM Permalink

problem is you can never get enough security unless you all work in a lead lined box with no access via internet or telephone.

Copmanies are always blamed for being lazy in securing there property but the fact is theres nothing you can do if someone is more determined.

People just need to get there own lives and stop hurting others (that includes crowbars to the neck, that, tends to just make things worse.[:P])

Submitted by tbag on Wed, 21/01/04 - 6:29 AM Permalink

I suppose a highly succesful security system would be either monitoring every itty bitty byte or wiping fecies all over things (Health Hazard) and not using any internet which would be half the load of monitoring [;)].

Watch the movie Hackers, its a great example of the hacking society (Not!) in fact it was like low budget film which i found quite damn funny.

Overall i hope these suckers fry! Actually if you read a user comment on the guy who's house was broken into. One guy said his friend emailed them been a dick saying he helped leak HL2 and the FBI tackled him down naked [:P].

Submitted by souri on Wed, 21/01/04 - 7:35 AM Permalink

I have no sympathy for people who do things like this. They just don't understand what the effects of their actions could cause. If Valve weren't as stacked up with cash as I'm sure they are, I would bet a lot of people would've lost their jobs/livelihoods as a result, due to things being rescheduled and delayed. A 4 month delay would certainly affect most smaller dev companies. I bet missing the pre-Christmas release slot was a bit of a financial setback for Valve.

Submitted by MoonUnit on Wed, 21/01/04 - 6:42 PM Permalink

glad that the felons didnt remain unknown (well presuming this is them) and that this isnt just one of those cases that slips into the forgotten realm. Itd really suck if the guy from that blog wasnt _the_ guy, sounds like a worse morning then i had waking up to jackhammers.

Forum

The FBI raided the home of [url="http://squeedlyspooch.com/blog/archives/000072.html"]this guy[/url] as he/his housemate are suspects in the Valve/HL2 source code theft. The agents were looking for any IP addresses used by the internal/external Valve networks, and any Valve usernames/passwords.

If these guys are found guilty, they can be punished to the full extent of the law. I'm really thinking capital punishment, being as they made us wait for HL2 and all. ;)

It's about time that these 1337 d00dz got punished....

Submitted by JonathanKerr on Tue, 20/01/04 - 7:44 PM Permalink

Serves em right. Hacker-nerds need a good ol' shit kickin'. That'll teach em.

Seriously tho' -- this is serious infringement. Who are they trying to impress? Please keep the hacking to govt services, thank you.

Submitted by Malus on Tue, 20/01/04 - 8:58 PM Permalink

I don't really think anyone deserves to be hacked by little script kiddies and their kind, even government services. (please don't tell me you'd like youe electricity cut off for a week because someone hacked there control systems [:P])

It just comes down to the fact that these small people have no self confidence and need some form of a win in their lives to feel worthy!! Pimple dicks. Get a life and keep out of other peoples!

Hope they enjoy their time as bitches in a medium security jail in the states. [:P]

Submitted by Daemin on Wed, 21/01/04 - 12:30 AM Permalink

hackers - nah, that's the wrong phrase Jonothan, you're looking for "dickheads" or "script kiddies".

Hackers are people who love coding computer stuff, and who do great things with that, like Linus Torvalds, and the numberous other people who do GPL stuff.

Submitted by Maitrek on Wed, 21/01/04 - 1:16 AM Permalink

That's Linus, not linux torvalds :P
Either way, I don't know who these black-hatters were kidding. If they thought they would come out smelling like roses they were obviously quite full of themselves. IP theft of this magnitude should be, and is, taken very seriously and it's very likely they'll end up in a prison cell for a while, and upon release, will bear conditions such as not being able to use a computer for years and years.

It's always was a stupid move to make, we'll just see if it actually catches up with whoever made it.

Submitted by bullet21 on Wed, 21/01/04 - 4:19 AM Permalink

Don't FBI get guns, if i was in FBI i would have executed em Manhunt Style crowbar to the back of the neck. Wut kind of juvenile dickwad could get a thrill from ruining someone elses hard work.

But in a way it was a good thing. It show not only the HL2 creators but other game developers as well that u can never have enough security.

Submitted by Malus on Wed, 21/01/04 - 5:57 AM Permalink

problem is you can never get enough security unless you all work in a lead lined box with no access via internet or telephone.

Copmanies are always blamed for being lazy in securing there property but the fact is theres nothing you can do if someone is more determined.

People just need to get there own lives and stop hurting others (that includes crowbars to the neck, that, tends to just make things worse.[:P])

Submitted by tbag on Wed, 21/01/04 - 6:29 AM Permalink

I suppose a highly succesful security system would be either monitoring every itty bitty byte or wiping fecies all over things (Health Hazard) and not using any internet which would be half the load of monitoring [;)].

Watch the movie Hackers, its a great example of the hacking society (Not!) in fact it was like low budget film which i found quite damn funny.

Overall i hope these suckers fry! Actually if you read a user comment on the guy who's house was broken into. One guy said his friend emailed them been a dick saying he helped leak HL2 and the FBI tackled him down naked [:P].

Submitted by souri on Wed, 21/01/04 - 7:35 AM Permalink

I have no sympathy for people who do things like this. They just don't understand what the effects of their actions could cause. If Valve weren't as stacked up with cash as I'm sure they are, I would bet a lot of people would've lost their jobs/livelihoods as a result, due to things being rescheduled and delayed. A 4 month delay would certainly affect most smaller dev companies. I bet missing the pre-Christmas release slot was a bit of a financial setback for Valve.

Submitted by MoonUnit on Wed, 21/01/04 - 6:42 PM Permalink

glad that the felons didnt remain unknown (well presuming this is them) and that this isnt just one of those cases that slips into the forgotten realm. Itd really suck if the guy from that blog wasnt _the_ guy, sounds like a worse morning then i had waking up to jackhammers.