Skip to main content

Terminator 3 (possible spoilers)

• In my first and previous post in this game dev log entry, I had written that I wanted to do a game which was a collection of simple retro games. Unity released a new major release (2019.3) while I was putting the initial project together, and I…

• Well, I'm making a game . I'm spending the next few weeks on making a small game to showcase the gamedev log feature on tsumea where any member can create a game entry and other members can post journal posts with art, music or just development…

• Just a test #2. Still working on the new section.

• So, I got a Commodore 64 when I was in the 4th grade. It came bundled with a Rolf Harris picture building program on casette tape which never loaded properly but from what I could tell by its box cover, you could build pictures from a selection…

• Yes, the site looks very different and I've had to prematurely switch to this new theme that I'm working on for a few reasons, the main one is that changing certain aspects of the site to fit the new theme will affect how the old one looks for…

• (this is just a test, please ignore this entry)

Here is some of my old work.. the first pic is of a 3d model of a human head I was working on about 2 years ago in 3dsmax, using nurbs. If I had to do it again, I wouldn't model a head with…

I currently work for

Submitted by souri on
Forum

I just saw Terminator 3. I went in with really low expectations, but I thought the movie was pretty good! Special effects were very impressive, and the action scenes were awesome.. I was dubious as to how they could possibly continue the story after what happened after Terminator 2, but was pretty surprised how they pulled it off.. Pacing was good (never a dull moment), Arnie looked pretty damn fit, and I thought the ending was great [:)]

Submitted by Major Clod on Sat, 19/07/03 - 12:28 PM Permalink

Yeah I saw in on Thursday, quite enjoyed it too. Better than I thought it would be, though the movie did seem to have a different feel to the previous ones. The scene where Arnie gets his clothing in that bar on ladies night was great! So was the cameo with Dr. Silverman. My only problem with the movie, was that I would have liked to see a better showdown between Arnie and the TX.

I enjoyed this sequel much more than The Matrix Reloaded. Wire work and martial arts don't really do much for me, as almost every film uses them as standard these days. I much prefer the smash and thrash style of the Terminator films.

The ending left me with a wierd feeling that I've never really had after seeing a movie. I'm thinking that the ending of Star Wars Episode III will be similar. I just hope they go through with T4, otherwise I will be very, very dissapointed.

Submitted by rezn0r on Sun, 20/07/03 - 1:20 AM Permalink

The one gripe I had about the movie was how much of a sissy John Connor was. You'd think Ed Furlong would have grown up into a badass that could fight for himself, but instead he just cowers and whinges while big tough Claire Danes saves him.

Plus there wasn't a single drop of blood shown in the entire movie, and the only people that look like they got shot as far as I can remember were the skynet programmers getting shot by big Johnny 5's. I feel like Terminator and movies like it have been neutered for the post 911 etc new world order where violence is watered down so viewers don't feel like killing each other. Movies have just lost their mean. *gets off soapbox*

Apart from that it was ok... the bathroom punchup was great. [:D]

Scott.

Submitted by lava monkey on Sun, 20/07/03 - 2:21 AM Permalink

I thought it didn?t flow as well as T2 there was some great action scenes but the lack of good music made them not very exciting.
It also felt like it was more comedy than action, it was like they were just trying to make it like a movie that was incorporated the best of both movies, T1+T2=T3. I think the 1st one was ?I like your car? as opposed to ?I like your bike? from T2, then the strip bar, the glasses.. the car chase with the truck.. it got a bit repetitive after awhile and kinda spoiled the movie for me, it was more like a movie about the 1st two movies.
I agree with what Rezn0r said John was a sissy and it pissed me off too, he reminded me of HIS mum from the 1st movie. Arnie was less robot than ever, and they didn?t setup the story very well, it felt like a combination of about 10 scripts and then they cut everything out to fit it into one movie that didn?t make that much sense.
Still I guess I kinda like it cause I just wanted to see another Terminator movie, but it wasn?t really a good movie at all, I think preferred the trailer over the movie.

Submitted by sharp77 on Sun, 20/07/03 - 6:42 AM Permalink

did anyone notice what they are doing?? the same thing matrix did... they created a suspensful ending making you wonder what next! what next! i was thinking of seeing a 5 minute battle with johnny there screaming and running to kill robots...
btw i did like the fallout bunker and the old look it represented... was very nice....

but get ready for T4 because that ending just gives them an excuse to make a shot em up, full on futuristic battle movie...

guess t3 had to be done but im acctually disapointed it's storyline was a bit weird...

i was hoping they would drive back to the place in the desert they went to in teh 2nd film and get together a mexican crime syndicate :D

oh well...

cya

Submitted by Maitrek on Sun, 20/07/03 - 9:17 AM Permalink

Not a drop of blood? Well none shed in violence, but Arnie cut a chunk out of himself and ditched it :)

I thought it was good fun, and I admit I love the old beat the crap out of each other style of fighting, if the T101 starting pulling wire-fu I reckon I would've just left the theatre :)

I think there was a bit of CG to help Arnie's figure out in alot of the scenes.

Overall it was mainly a homage to the first two movies, with some comedy, action and all that. I enjoyed it, but the open-ended 'ending' kinda irritates me. Hollywood is just afraid to write a complete movie nowadays, they have to 'sequelise' everything

Submitted by Blitz on Mon, 21/07/03 - 8:56 AM Permalink

I agree with what some of you have said, that this movie had a LOT in common with the first two movies, particularly T2. I remember so many times thinking "T2 ripoff!" while watching. Not that it was neccessarily a bad thing, but it made the move less serious in a way... It was definately also more comedic than T2 also i thought.
I enjoyed the movie, but i think i definately prefer T1 and T2. I thought the story was good, but like lava_monkey said, it didn't seem to flow as well. The action scenes were great though, especially with the truck/crane, that was nuts!
CYer, Blitz

Submitted by JonathanKerr on Mon, 21/07/03 - 9:35 PM Permalink

It was pretty good with some nice CGI. It didn't take itself as seriously as the previous two Terminator movies, but I think that worked to it's effect. Nice to see the action was at full speed, instead of lots of bullet time and slow-motion shots. There were only a few slow motion shots, such as the Terminator walking around the corner.

Quite cool story and interesting plot twist. It was good enough that I'd actually look forward to T4. Jonathan Mostow did a good job.

Don't forget, there were some nice gags in their too.

Submitted by Malus on Mon, 21/07/03 - 9:55 PM Permalink

Maitrek:

quote:I think there was a bit of CG to help Arnie's figure out in alot of the scenes.

Ah you cynical thing, actually he was the same size and fitness level as he was in T2, he worked hard to get back into shape. No CG involved just Austrian willpower. [:)]
Got to give the 55 year old credit were its due.

Posted by souri on
Forum

I just saw Terminator 3. I went in with really low expectations, but I thought the movie was pretty good! Special effects were very impressive, and the action scenes were awesome.. I was dubious as to how they could possibly continue the story after what happened after Terminator 2, but was pretty surprised how they pulled it off.. Pacing was good (never a dull moment), Arnie looked pretty damn fit, and I thought the ending was great [:)]

Submitted by Major Clod on Sat, 19/07/03 - 12:28 PM Permalink

Yeah I saw in on Thursday, quite enjoyed it too. Better than I thought it would be, though the movie did seem to have a different feel to the previous ones. The scene where Arnie gets his clothing in that bar on ladies night was great! So was the cameo with Dr. Silverman. My only problem with the movie, was that I would have liked to see a better showdown between Arnie and the TX.

I enjoyed this sequel much more than The Matrix Reloaded. Wire work and martial arts don't really do much for me, as almost every film uses them as standard these days. I much prefer the smash and thrash style of the Terminator films.

The ending left me with a wierd feeling that I've never really had after seeing a movie. I'm thinking that the ending of Star Wars Episode III will be similar. I just hope they go through with T4, otherwise I will be very, very dissapointed.

Submitted by rezn0r on Sun, 20/07/03 - 1:20 AM Permalink

The one gripe I had about the movie was how much of a sissy John Connor was. You'd think Ed Furlong would have grown up into a badass that could fight for himself, but instead he just cowers and whinges while big tough Claire Danes saves him.

Plus there wasn't a single drop of blood shown in the entire movie, and the only people that look like they got shot as far as I can remember were the skynet programmers getting shot by big Johnny 5's. I feel like Terminator and movies like it have been neutered for the post 911 etc new world order where violence is watered down so viewers don't feel like killing each other. Movies have just lost their mean. *gets off soapbox*

Apart from that it was ok... the bathroom punchup was great. [:D]

Scott.

Submitted by lava monkey on Sun, 20/07/03 - 2:21 AM Permalink

I thought it didn?t flow as well as T2 there was some great action scenes but the lack of good music made them not very exciting.
It also felt like it was more comedy than action, it was like they were just trying to make it like a movie that was incorporated the best of both movies, T1+T2=T3. I think the 1st one was ?I like your car? as opposed to ?I like your bike? from T2, then the strip bar, the glasses.. the car chase with the truck.. it got a bit repetitive after awhile and kinda spoiled the movie for me, it was more like a movie about the 1st two movies.
I agree with what Rezn0r said John was a sissy and it pissed me off too, he reminded me of HIS mum from the 1st movie. Arnie was less robot than ever, and they didn?t setup the story very well, it felt like a combination of about 10 scripts and then they cut everything out to fit it into one movie that didn?t make that much sense.
Still I guess I kinda like it cause I just wanted to see another Terminator movie, but it wasn?t really a good movie at all, I think preferred the trailer over the movie.

Submitted by sharp77 on Sun, 20/07/03 - 6:42 AM Permalink

did anyone notice what they are doing?? the same thing matrix did... they created a suspensful ending making you wonder what next! what next! i was thinking of seeing a 5 minute battle with johnny there screaming and running to kill robots...
btw i did like the fallout bunker and the old look it represented... was very nice....

but get ready for T4 because that ending just gives them an excuse to make a shot em up, full on futuristic battle movie...

guess t3 had to be done but im acctually disapointed it's storyline was a bit weird...

i was hoping they would drive back to the place in the desert they went to in teh 2nd film and get together a mexican crime syndicate :D

oh well...

cya

Submitted by Maitrek on Sun, 20/07/03 - 9:17 AM Permalink

Not a drop of blood? Well none shed in violence, but Arnie cut a chunk out of himself and ditched it :)

I thought it was good fun, and I admit I love the old beat the crap out of each other style of fighting, if the T101 starting pulling wire-fu I reckon I would've just left the theatre :)

I think there was a bit of CG to help Arnie's figure out in alot of the scenes.

Overall it was mainly a homage to the first two movies, with some comedy, action and all that. I enjoyed it, but the open-ended 'ending' kinda irritates me. Hollywood is just afraid to write a complete movie nowadays, they have to 'sequelise' everything

Submitted by Blitz on Mon, 21/07/03 - 8:56 AM Permalink

I agree with what some of you have said, that this movie had a LOT in common with the first two movies, particularly T2. I remember so many times thinking "T2 ripoff!" while watching. Not that it was neccessarily a bad thing, but it made the move less serious in a way... It was definately also more comedic than T2 also i thought.
I enjoyed the movie, but i think i definately prefer T1 and T2. I thought the story was good, but like lava_monkey said, it didn't seem to flow as well. The action scenes were great though, especially with the truck/crane, that was nuts!
CYer, Blitz

Submitted by JonathanKerr on Mon, 21/07/03 - 9:35 PM Permalink

It was pretty good with some nice CGI. It didn't take itself as seriously as the previous two Terminator movies, but I think that worked to it's effect. Nice to see the action was at full speed, instead of lots of bullet time and slow-motion shots. There were only a few slow motion shots, such as the Terminator walking around the corner.

Quite cool story and interesting plot twist. It was good enough that I'd actually look forward to T4. Jonathan Mostow did a good job.

Don't forget, there were some nice gags in their too.

Submitted by Malus on Mon, 21/07/03 - 9:55 PM Permalink

Maitrek:

quote:I think there was a bit of CG to help Arnie's figure out in alot of the scenes.

Ah you cynical thing, actually he was the same size and fitness level as he was in T2, he worked hard to get back into shape. No CG involved just Austrian willpower. [:)]
Got to give the 55 year old credit were its due.