Skip to main content

Sweet SNES

Submitted by tbag on
Forum

Hey,

I just thought i would post it too feel special.

My brother and i within a few weeks hope to get an old PC (400mhz-600mhz) chuck in a Radeon 9200 with TV out or a Geforce 4 with TV out then hook it upto the TV. Then attach a 4 player USB controller port thing and attach the controls. Then the best part is that we have about 1200 Super Nintendo games and several arcade machine games (4 player ones!).

It was just to feel special and see what people think of the idea.

Tom
PS: The above might not be the final specs yet, we might chuck in a cheap AMD XP 2000 chip yet [:)].

Submitted by Makk on Tue, 20/01/04 - 3:12 AM Permalink

I bought a SNES about a month ago, I have Super Mario World, World league basketball, Super Stars Wars and Double Dragon. Snes kicks ass! :)
Now if only I could find Mario Kart somewhere :(

Submitted by smeg on Tue, 20/01/04 - 6:48 AM Permalink

Have you considered using a modified XBOX? The emulators on that thing are getting really good (SNES and MAME ones especially). And so long as you don't need more than 10gig (is that the HDD size?) you'll be fine!

just a thought.

Submitted by Blitz on Tue, 20/01/04 - 9:03 AM Permalink

You can put a bigger HD into the xbox too if you want.
CYer, Blitz

Submitted by JonathanKerr on Tue, 20/01/04 - 9:54 AM Permalink

They're up around the 120 gig mark now. Mind you, I hear that you can't get onto Xbox Live tho' if you're chipped. Someone did say that some chips have a switch that allow you to get around it.

Haven't really played much attention to be honest.

Submitted by Aven on Tue, 20/01/04 - 11:55 AM Permalink

I havent looked into modding Xboxes much as I have a PC, but a friend of a friend gt really into it (said that xboxes are cheaper than PCs and has now spent over $1000 modding his box :/). Last I knew, the Xbox will take up to 180gb HDDs as long as they are Seagate. You can either mod the Xbox by mod chip (grey area but still technically legal), or flashing the bios (illegal as it changes the original software). The better mod chips allow you to keep the old Xbox Deck (GUI), and still run new ones. That way you can switch back to the proper Deck and use Xbox live.

Submitted by tbag on Tue, 20/01/04 - 12:05 PM Permalink

Bah Xbox.

The Xbox in my eyes is really just a PC in a case with good low sound cooling. And besides due to its severe similiarity to the PC, a computer slightly faster (With a Geforce 3 or higher) can emulate it at near full speed, so why bother getting one?

If you want proof then check out this http://www.caustik.com/cxbx/
Its some mighty fine work and its progressing pretty fast for a two to three man project. And even the main contributor/author (Caustik) said by the end, a PC over 1ghz with a decent video card should be able to run it at full speed.

Cheers,

Tom

Oh and im not trying to offend Xbox owners [;)]. Im just saying $200-$400 with the right stuff would be enough to outbeat the Xbox [;)].

Submitted by bino on Tue, 20/01/04 - 1:12 PM Permalink

that i must say is like eating strawberries and cream on a cool spring day underneath your favourite mango tree...perfect fun in every way, heh heh.

-bino

Submitted by JonathanKerr on Tue, 20/01/04 - 5:50 PM Permalink

Xbox doesn't suffer all the crap that goes with PCs. No patches, just plug 'n' play. That's why I almost never bother with PC gaming -- all that fluffing around.

Submitted by Doord on Tue, 20/01/04 - 9:11 PM Permalink

Arh the Snes, back when game were fun.

Were have those days gone.

Oh I remember now, all the fucked up poeple making games to only make money. Fuck them fuck them all!!!

Submitted by Satyrblood on Tue, 20/01/04 - 10:37 PM Permalink

My brother and I recently bought two NES systems, and starting grabbing all the games we could find. 50+ games and counting. :D

Is it just me, or were the eighties the best? Great music, great games, great fashion.

Submitted by JonathanKerr on Wed, 21/01/04 - 12:24 AM Permalink

I dunno Doord - games are still pretty fun now. They're a bit more complex which can dilute the fun but it's still there.

By your reasoning, Goldeneye, Halo, MGS, Mario 64, Virtua Fighter 4, Zelda etc.. aren't a patch on the oldies. To be honest, I think games are better than they were. Not as accessible sometimes, but most genres have advanced compared to the 16 bit days. It just seems like the 'thing to say' (games aren't as good as they used to be) but each generation has always had it's share of great and shit games. The 16 bit had so many shit platform rip offs it wasn't funny -- A bit like FPS now.

The older we get, the greater the old games were. Beware of rose coloured glasses people! Go back and play those old games - are they really as fun as you remember? Some will be, some wont.

(BTW - re: people making money comment: Sega and Nintendo were taken to court in the early to mid 90s for excessive profiteering - so back then, they were just as guilty.)

Submitted by Malus on Wed, 21/01/04 - 6:14 AM Permalink

Not meaning to get on your back Doord but your comment made me think and I agree with Jonathan.

I get slighty annoyed when people make the "when games were fun" comment as really its a load of pants. There are hundreds of those types of oldschool games with similar gameplay made everyday, check the net you'll find a zillion of 'em.
The reason we don't see them in our stores is that no one buys them because...well, more recent games are more fun, more immersive, more entertaining, more thought provocing and of course violent and sexy.

I do believe there is something in saying games these days are getting a tad on the stale side but thats not because they are less fun than the old days.
Nor is it because we have all sold out to the man, its because the recipe nowadays sells well and publishers like there money, why wouldn't they? There a business aren't they?

Humans tend to get bored with the new very easily, if we didn't we'd still be climbing trees and picking nits from each others hair.

So maybe people should think more before they make that comment, are these games today worse than pong? Or are they just nothing new compared to the ones made last week?

Submitted by JonathanKerr on Wed, 21/01/04 - 11:21 AM Permalink

I still climb trees and pick nits from peoples hair.

Submitted by MoonUnit on Wed, 21/01/04 - 6:29 PM Permalink

reminds me of when i used to moderate a games forum, the thing about games that some people seem to forget is that there made for money, oh yeah people love their job and everything but the games were made for money, there were then, they are now.

Submitted by smeg on Thu, 22/01/04 - 8:08 AM Permalink

Some old games are good. Some new games are good. Hopefully there will always be some good games, because the crap is always gonna be there.

Submitted by MoonUnit on Thu, 22/01/04 - 8:13 AM Permalink

thats another thing, people look at the SNES, something thats had a full life time and they see all the great games, at the end of say the gamecube lifetime (jus keeping with ninty, nothing about preffered consoles) itll probably have the same amount of goodies.

On that note, there was plenty of crap on the SNES, plenty of it, back when movie licences werent bad, they were absolutely shocking (ghost busters platformer anyone?) and there was plenty of other garbage.

on a lighter note, cant remember the name but i allways loved that uni cycle game, no idea why...

Submitted by JonathanKerr on Thu, 22/01/04 - 8:26 AM Permalink

I don't think the Cube will have the same amount of great games as the SNES -- it just doesn't have the same level of 3rd party support.

Submitted by smeg on Thu, 22/01/04 - 11:29 AM Permalink

MoonUnit: UniRally

Submitted by tbag on Thu, 22/01/04 - 8:20 PM Permalink

I like my Cube. Overall i have always supported Nintendo and loved all of their consoles however. I do like the Xbox and PS2 but i have always been a Nintendo man [;)]. But all consoles have their bad games and good games. Although i must say what the hell do people really see in Halo? Its just another FPS with co-op as far as i can see and its highly overrated.

The SNES had probably the most games of any console to exist to this day and thats what made it great. Even if the some of the games were dodgy [;)].

Anyhow overall i will stick by my Nintendo. Even if they stop making consoles, im sure that their handhelds will still be there best sellers [:)].

PS: I swear the Portable Playstation is going to crash and burn on Sony, i mean as if 50 million with GBA's (Or 130 million or so people with GameBoys) are going to get the Portable Playstation and drop their GBA's, highly unlikely and the fact that PSP's are going to be about $400-$600 here in Australia means bad selling for Sony [;)].

Check this out ([url]http://www.gc-linux.org[/url]) [:)]. Oh and read this its the new handheld coming soon at the end of 2004 from Nintendo (Use babelfish to translate it [url]http://babelfish.altavista.com[/url]). [url]http://www.nintendo.co.jp/n10/news/040121.html[/url]. Or read the GameSpy preview [;)] [url]http://www.gamespydaily.com/news/fullstory.asp?id=5624[/url].

Submitted by JonathanKerr on Thu, 22/01/04 - 9:13 PM Permalink

I'm pretty sure the Playstation 1 has more games than the SNES. I know for sure it cracked the 90million mark (it may have passed the 100 million but I cant be arsed to look it up). It's the highest selling system (not handheld)of all time. PS2 have just cracked 70 million (as announced a few days ago).

Sony's marketing is going to make the PSP a desirable item. Plays music, games and movies -- the 'walkman of the 21st century'. People won't drop their GBAs but that wont stop them from picking up a PSP -- the target demographic is different.

Submitted by tbag on Thu, 22/01/04 - 9:22 PM Permalink

I still think Nintendo will own the handheld market for a fair time yet, but in a way 50 million to none is a fair amount.

Submitted by MoonUnit on Thu, 22/01/04 - 9:38 PM Permalink

Halo is neat, it may not be the best game that mankind has ever created but its still a bit of fun :)

The N-Gage didnt look that bad 2 me, all in all. But it sold terribly it seems so im slightly skeptical about the PSP, but "Its a SONY" so theres hope for it yet.

Submitted by cutty on Fri, 23/01/04 - 12:36 AM Permalink

My sad story:
My brother who lives in Melbourne actually *gave away* our old SNES because he was sick of it taking up space/never used it.. He couldn't even be bothered to ring me up and ask if i wanted it still..!? What a fucking retard..
Street Fighter 2 Turbo..Gone. *Sob*

Submitted by tbag on Fri, 23/01/04 - 12:44 AM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by cutty

My sad story:
My brother who lives in Melbourne actually *gave away* our old SNES because he was sick of it taking up space/never used it.. He couldn't even be bothered to ring me up and ask if i wanted it still..!? What a fucking retard..

There, there im sure that the catridge was heavily used and you will remember those memories [;)].

Submitted by Makk on Fri, 23/01/04 - 4:19 AM Permalink

Throw a dog at his face, that will teach him.

Disclaimer: I dont not endorse the throwing of animals.............except in self defense.

Submitted by tbag on Fri, 23/01/04 - 4:23 AM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by Makk

Disclaimer: I dont not endorse the throwing of animals.............except in self defense.

I suppose that you have had to defend yourself several times? So therefore you have thrown a lot of animals, correct?

Lets see how the RSPCA thinks of you then, [:o)]!

Submitted by cutty on Fri, 23/01/04 - 4:36 AM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by tbag

There, there im sure that the catridge was heavily used and you will remember those memories [;)].

It's SF2 Turbo, tbag, an evergreen masterpiece. Memories just aren't enough i'm afraid.

Submitted by tbag on Fri, 23/01/04 - 4:51 AM Permalink

It was a pretty nice piece of work, i'll admit that. But im sure it will turn up in the future (Or you could get it on GBA). Or of course just simply strangle your brother [:P].

But im sure within about 10 years or longer it will be legal to copy and distribute snes games and if not then go to Thailand or somewhere similiar (No offence intended!).

Posted by tbag on
Forum

Hey,

I just thought i would post it too feel special.

My brother and i within a few weeks hope to get an old PC (400mhz-600mhz) chuck in a Radeon 9200 with TV out or a Geforce 4 with TV out then hook it upto the TV. Then attach a 4 player USB controller port thing and attach the controls. Then the best part is that we have about 1200 Super Nintendo games and several arcade machine games (4 player ones!).

It was just to feel special and see what people think of the idea.

Tom
PS: The above might not be the final specs yet, we might chuck in a cheap AMD XP 2000 chip yet [:)].

Submitted by Makk on Tue, 20/01/04 - 3:12 AM Permalink

I bought a SNES about a month ago, I have Super Mario World, World league basketball, Super Stars Wars and Double Dragon. Snes kicks ass! :)
Now if only I could find Mario Kart somewhere :(

Submitted by smeg on Tue, 20/01/04 - 6:48 AM Permalink

Have you considered using a modified XBOX? The emulators on that thing are getting really good (SNES and MAME ones especially). And so long as you don't need more than 10gig (is that the HDD size?) you'll be fine!

just a thought.

Submitted by Blitz on Tue, 20/01/04 - 9:03 AM Permalink

You can put a bigger HD into the xbox too if you want.
CYer, Blitz

Submitted by JonathanKerr on Tue, 20/01/04 - 9:54 AM Permalink

They're up around the 120 gig mark now. Mind you, I hear that you can't get onto Xbox Live tho' if you're chipped. Someone did say that some chips have a switch that allow you to get around it.

Haven't really played much attention to be honest.

Submitted by Aven on Tue, 20/01/04 - 11:55 AM Permalink

I havent looked into modding Xboxes much as I have a PC, but a friend of a friend gt really into it (said that xboxes are cheaper than PCs and has now spent over $1000 modding his box :/). Last I knew, the Xbox will take up to 180gb HDDs as long as they are Seagate. You can either mod the Xbox by mod chip (grey area but still technically legal), or flashing the bios (illegal as it changes the original software). The better mod chips allow you to keep the old Xbox Deck (GUI), and still run new ones. That way you can switch back to the proper Deck and use Xbox live.

Submitted by tbag on Tue, 20/01/04 - 12:05 PM Permalink

Bah Xbox.

The Xbox in my eyes is really just a PC in a case with good low sound cooling. And besides due to its severe similiarity to the PC, a computer slightly faster (With a Geforce 3 or higher) can emulate it at near full speed, so why bother getting one?

If you want proof then check out this http://www.caustik.com/cxbx/
Its some mighty fine work and its progressing pretty fast for a two to three man project. And even the main contributor/author (Caustik) said by the end, a PC over 1ghz with a decent video card should be able to run it at full speed.

Cheers,

Tom

Oh and im not trying to offend Xbox owners [;)]. Im just saying $200-$400 with the right stuff would be enough to outbeat the Xbox [;)].

Submitted by bino on Tue, 20/01/04 - 1:12 PM Permalink

that i must say is like eating strawberries and cream on a cool spring day underneath your favourite mango tree...perfect fun in every way, heh heh.

-bino

Submitted by JonathanKerr on Tue, 20/01/04 - 5:50 PM Permalink

Xbox doesn't suffer all the crap that goes with PCs. No patches, just plug 'n' play. That's why I almost never bother with PC gaming -- all that fluffing around.

Submitted by Doord on Tue, 20/01/04 - 9:11 PM Permalink

Arh the Snes, back when game were fun.

Were have those days gone.

Oh I remember now, all the fucked up poeple making games to only make money. Fuck them fuck them all!!!

Submitted by Satyrblood on Tue, 20/01/04 - 10:37 PM Permalink

My brother and I recently bought two NES systems, and starting grabbing all the games we could find. 50+ games and counting. :D

Is it just me, or were the eighties the best? Great music, great games, great fashion.

Submitted by JonathanKerr on Wed, 21/01/04 - 12:24 AM Permalink

I dunno Doord - games are still pretty fun now. They're a bit more complex which can dilute the fun but it's still there.

By your reasoning, Goldeneye, Halo, MGS, Mario 64, Virtua Fighter 4, Zelda etc.. aren't a patch on the oldies. To be honest, I think games are better than they were. Not as accessible sometimes, but most genres have advanced compared to the 16 bit days. It just seems like the 'thing to say' (games aren't as good as they used to be) but each generation has always had it's share of great and shit games. The 16 bit had so many shit platform rip offs it wasn't funny -- A bit like FPS now.

The older we get, the greater the old games were. Beware of rose coloured glasses people! Go back and play those old games - are they really as fun as you remember? Some will be, some wont.

(BTW - re: people making money comment: Sega and Nintendo were taken to court in the early to mid 90s for excessive profiteering - so back then, they were just as guilty.)

Submitted by Malus on Wed, 21/01/04 - 6:14 AM Permalink

Not meaning to get on your back Doord but your comment made me think and I agree with Jonathan.

I get slighty annoyed when people make the "when games were fun" comment as really its a load of pants. There are hundreds of those types of oldschool games with similar gameplay made everyday, check the net you'll find a zillion of 'em.
The reason we don't see them in our stores is that no one buys them because...well, more recent games are more fun, more immersive, more entertaining, more thought provocing and of course violent and sexy.

I do believe there is something in saying games these days are getting a tad on the stale side but thats not because they are less fun than the old days.
Nor is it because we have all sold out to the man, its because the recipe nowadays sells well and publishers like there money, why wouldn't they? There a business aren't they?

Humans tend to get bored with the new very easily, if we didn't we'd still be climbing trees and picking nits from each others hair.

So maybe people should think more before they make that comment, are these games today worse than pong? Or are they just nothing new compared to the ones made last week?

Submitted by JonathanKerr on Wed, 21/01/04 - 11:21 AM Permalink

I still climb trees and pick nits from peoples hair.

Submitted by MoonUnit on Wed, 21/01/04 - 6:29 PM Permalink

reminds me of when i used to moderate a games forum, the thing about games that some people seem to forget is that there made for money, oh yeah people love their job and everything but the games were made for money, there were then, they are now.

Submitted by smeg on Thu, 22/01/04 - 8:08 AM Permalink

Some old games are good. Some new games are good. Hopefully there will always be some good games, because the crap is always gonna be there.

Submitted by MoonUnit on Thu, 22/01/04 - 8:13 AM Permalink

thats another thing, people look at the SNES, something thats had a full life time and they see all the great games, at the end of say the gamecube lifetime (jus keeping with ninty, nothing about preffered consoles) itll probably have the same amount of goodies.

On that note, there was plenty of crap on the SNES, plenty of it, back when movie licences werent bad, they were absolutely shocking (ghost busters platformer anyone?) and there was plenty of other garbage.

on a lighter note, cant remember the name but i allways loved that uni cycle game, no idea why...

Submitted by JonathanKerr on Thu, 22/01/04 - 8:26 AM Permalink

I don't think the Cube will have the same amount of great games as the SNES -- it just doesn't have the same level of 3rd party support.

Submitted by smeg on Thu, 22/01/04 - 11:29 AM Permalink

MoonUnit: UniRally

Submitted by tbag on Thu, 22/01/04 - 8:20 PM Permalink

I like my Cube. Overall i have always supported Nintendo and loved all of their consoles however. I do like the Xbox and PS2 but i have always been a Nintendo man [;)]. But all consoles have their bad games and good games. Although i must say what the hell do people really see in Halo? Its just another FPS with co-op as far as i can see and its highly overrated.

The SNES had probably the most games of any console to exist to this day and thats what made it great. Even if the some of the games were dodgy [;)].

Anyhow overall i will stick by my Nintendo. Even if they stop making consoles, im sure that their handhelds will still be there best sellers [:)].

PS: I swear the Portable Playstation is going to crash and burn on Sony, i mean as if 50 million with GBA's (Or 130 million or so people with GameBoys) are going to get the Portable Playstation and drop their GBA's, highly unlikely and the fact that PSP's are going to be about $400-$600 here in Australia means bad selling for Sony [;)].

Check this out ([url]http://www.gc-linux.org[/url]) [:)]. Oh and read this its the new handheld coming soon at the end of 2004 from Nintendo (Use babelfish to translate it [url]http://babelfish.altavista.com[/url]). [url]http://www.nintendo.co.jp/n10/news/040121.html[/url]. Or read the GameSpy preview [;)] [url]http://www.gamespydaily.com/news/fullstory.asp?id=5624[/url].

Submitted by JonathanKerr on Thu, 22/01/04 - 9:13 PM Permalink

I'm pretty sure the Playstation 1 has more games than the SNES. I know for sure it cracked the 90million mark (it may have passed the 100 million but I cant be arsed to look it up). It's the highest selling system (not handheld)of all time. PS2 have just cracked 70 million (as announced a few days ago).

Sony's marketing is going to make the PSP a desirable item. Plays music, games and movies -- the 'walkman of the 21st century'. People won't drop their GBAs but that wont stop them from picking up a PSP -- the target demographic is different.

Submitted by tbag on Thu, 22/01/04 - 9:22 PM Permalink

I still think Nintendo will own the handheld market for a fair time yet, but in a way 50 million to none is a fair amount.

Submitted by MoonUnit on Thu, 22/01/04 - 9:38 PM Permalink

Halo is neat, it may not be the best game that mankind has ever created but its still a bit of fun :)

The N-Gage didnt look that bad 2 me, all in all. But it sold terribly it seems so im slightly skeptical about the PSP, but "Its a SONY" so theres hope for it yet.

Submitted by cutty on Fri, 23/01/04 - 12:36 AM Permalink

My sad story:

Submitted by tbag on Fri, 23/01/04 - 12:44 AM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by cutty

My sad story:

Submitted by Makk on Fri, 23/01/04 - 4:19 AM Permalink

Submitted by tbag on Fri, 23/01/04 - 4:23 AM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by Makk

I suppose that you have had to defend yourself several times? So therefore you have thrown a lot of animals, correct?

Lets see how the RSPCA thinks of you then, [:o)]!

Submitted by cutty on Fri, 23/01/04 - 4:36 AM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by tbag

It's SF2 Turbo, tbag, an evergreen masterpiece. Memories just aren't enough i'm afraid.

Submitted by tbag on Fri, 23/01/04 - 4:51 AM Permalink

It was a pretty nice piece of work, i'll admit that. But im sure it will turn up in the future (Or you could get it on GBA). Or of course just simply strangle your brother [:P].

But im sure within about 10 years or longer it will be legal to copy and distribute snes games and if not then go to Thailand or somewhere similiar (No offence intended!).