Skip to main content

Female character wip

Submitted by skipgamer on

Hey this is the first model I've worked on in a long time, I really appreciate any comments / criticism

Submitted by DaneORoo on Wed, 20/08/08 - 1:37 PM Permalink

Ok, criticism. It's fairly self explanatory. The proportions are way off, it does vaguely resemble a female character, but to be quite blunt here, I'd restart the whole thing. You probably know that though.

Also, what on earth are you doing modeling in mudbox from scratch like that. IF your planning on putting that in an engine, good luck. Model in something else first, then export that model as a .obj to mudbox and sculpt a hi poly, then bake it to a normal map and get some nice stuff happening.

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Thu, 21/08/08 - 3:55 AM Permalink

Wow, pretty rough, I didnt model it in mudbox from scratch, it was modelled in 3ds max, and that was exported as an obj, and this will be baked to a normal map... You know, WIP for a reason...

How about providing some constructive criticism rather than just "Its shit start again." And
I'm interested in hearing what proportions are way off because it was modelled off reference images.

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Thu, 21/08/08 - 10:21 AM Permalink

From a non-artist perspective, the body looks about right, the face looks off though..

It looks more "robot"ish. I think its more the chin area, where it recedes in so much.

Submitted by DaneORoo on Thu, 21/08/08 - 3:17 PM Permalink

Whoa, calm down. Your words not mine.

And the proportions are wrong. That shouldn't be debatable. Unless you modeled the reference off an out of proportion woman.

I said start again, because it would be much quicker to do as such, rather than aimlessly trying to fix what you have.

Also, I thought it was modeled from a mudbox sphere because the character looks too primitive and hasn't got much definition. That is not said in offense, that is a notable observation on my part.

Just.....leave it for a week, and come back look at it objectively, not subjectively. You'll see what I mean.

Seriously, if you blew up at THAT remark, you've got little hope of improving. I went easy on you o_o

Dane Brennand - Texture Artist

Submitted by souri on Thu, 21/08/08 - 3:21 PM Permalink

Maybe you can show us your side / front photo reference you used in your viewports so we can have a geezer ?

Submitted by Neffy on Thu, 21/08/08 - 5:52 PM Permalink

It is hard to tell without a front and side view i could do alot more redlines for you. So ill just have to go by what looks wrong.

The breasts are shaped strangely and look weightless, you can fix this by making them more round towards the bottom of where they sit and more graduall from the top.

her clavicle angles down very sharply it should be more straight and the line that connects the breast to the arm should continue up to form that shoulder muscle. It almost looks like she dosen't have a ribcage either, and her hands seem to large.

Her groin to belly button area looks pretty short it should be almost 1 head length atm it looks like half a head. Getting the proportions of a body correctly relies completely on the head size, get it in there asap.

from the knees down looks like the wrong shape but with out side and front I cant suggest what to do to fix it.

You have done a nice job on the lips and nose and i find them the hardest.
First off i shortened it vertically it seems really stretched beforehand. The cheek juts out in a very strange shape and she looks like shes frowning (maybe intentional). Theres no skull or area at the back of her head for a brain to sit in XD and the jaw line seems unrefined atm. Yellow lines are spots I found strange bumps in. Need an eyeball then you can shape the eye correctly :)

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Thu, 21/08/08 - 9:33 PM Permalink

Yeh thanks for the comments everyone, really appreciated, ill work on it a bit more and give you an update one day.

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Tue, 14/10/08 - 3:39 PM Permalink

Some ppl are just bastards. I can see its good and your not done, because i can see what it could look like textured, and ears added etc and it will look good. Some of what they say is correct but some is also the unique look you want, otherwise everyone that follows the "this is how you should do it" is gonna churn out the same boring bimbo's.

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Tue, 14/10/08 - 9:23 PM Permalink

it's pretty good seeing as you have not modeling in some time, but I would have to agree with a few of the comments, your proportions a off, you can easly fix them up in max then go and try again in mudbox, the next try will look better...practise make perfect ^^

Posted by skipgamer on

Hey this is the first model I've worked on in a long time, I really appreciate any comments / criticism

Submitted by DaneORoo on Wed, 20/08/08 - 1:37 PM Permalink

Ok, criticism. It's fairly self explanatory. The proportions are way off, it does vaguely resemble a female character, but to be quite blunt here, I'd restart the whole thing. You probably know that though.

Also, what on earth are you doing modeling in mudbox from scratch like that. IF your planning on putting that in an engine, good luck. Model in something else first, then export that model as a .obj to mudbox and sculpt a hi poly, then bake it to a normal map and get some nice stuff happening.

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Thu, 21/08/08 - 3:55 AM Permalink

Wow, pretty rough, I didnt model it in mudbox from scratch, it was modelled in 3ds max, and that was exported as an obj, and this will be baked to a normal map... You know, WIP for a reason...

How about providing some constructive criticism rather than just "Its shit start again." And
I'm interested in hearing what proportions are way off because it was modelled off reference images.

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Thu, 21/08/08 - 10:21 AM Permalink

From a non-artist perspective, the body looks about right, the face looks off though..

It looks more "robot"ish. I think its more the chin area, where it recedes in so much.

Submitted by DaneORoo on Thu, 21/08/08 - 3:17 PM Permalink

Whoa, calm down. Your words not mine.

And the proportions are wrong. That shouldn't be debatable. Unless you modeled the reference off an out of proportion woman.

I said start again, because it would be much quicker to do as such, rather than aimlessly trying to fix what you have.

Also, I thought it was modeled from a mudbox sphere because the character looks too primitive and hasn't got much definition. That is not said in offense, that is a notable observation on my part.

Just.....leave it for a week, and come back look at it objectively, not subjectively. You'll see what I mean.

Seriously, if you blew up at THAT remark, you've got little hope of improving. I went easy on you o_o

Dane Brennand - Texture Artist

Submitted by souri on Thu, 21/08/08 - 3:21 PM Permalink

Maybe you can show us your side / front photo reference you used in your viewports so we can have a geezer ?

Submitted by Neffy on Thu, 21/08/08 - 5:52 PM Permalink

It is hard to tell without a front and side view i could do alot more redlines for you. So ill just have to go by what looks wrong.

The breasts are shaped strangely and look weightless, you can fix this by making them more round towards the bottom of where they sit and more graduall from the top.

her clavicle angles down very sharply it should be more straight and the line that connects the breast to the arm should continue up to form that shoulder muscle. It almost looks like she dosen't have a ribcage either, and her hands seem to large.

Her groin to belly button area looks pretty short it should be almost 1 head length atm it looks like half a head. Getting the proportions of a body correctly relies completely on the head size, get it in there asap.

from the knees down looks like the wrong shape but with out side and front I cant suggest what to do to fix it.

You have done a nice job on the lips and nose and i find them the hardest.
First off i shortened it vertically it seems really stretched beforehand. The cheek juts out in a very strange shape and she looks like shes frowning (maybe intentional). Theres no skull or area at the back of her head for a brain to sit in XD and the jaw line seems unrefined atm. Yellow lines are spots I found strange bumps in. Need an eyeball then you can shape the eye correctly :)

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Thu, 21/08/08 - 9:33 PM Permalink

Yeh thanks for the comments everyone, really appreciated, ill work on it a bit more and give you an update one day.

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Tue, 14/10/08 - 3:39 PM Permalink

Some ppl are just bastards. I can see its good and your not done, because i can see what it could look like textured, and ears added etc and it will look good. Some of what they say is correct but some is also the unique look you want, otherwise everyone that follows the "this is how you should do it" is gonna churn out the same boring bimbo's.

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Tue, 14/10/08 - 9:23 PM Permalink

it's pretty good seeing as you have not modeling in some time, but I would have to agree with a few of the comments, your proportions a off, you can easly fix them up in max then go and try again in mudbox, the next try will look better...practise make perfect ^^