Skip to main content

Favourite game music

Forum

I really hope this hasn't already been discussed, but anyway, whats your fav video game music tracks or theme songs?

For me its the theme music from "No one lives forever" I cant get enough of this song, I have it looping in my headphones right now, I've probably listened to it about 10 times already, I just love it!!

Also theres some nice tracks in UT2003 but they pale in comparison to the Nolf theme. [8]

Submitted by MoonUnit on Sat, 17/01/04 - 5:15 AM Permalink

UT2003 has some ok tracks i suppose but what i like is jesper jyds work in hitman2 and freedom fighters, done with full orchestras and quires and stuff its very dramatic, i love it.

Submitted by Aven on Sat, 17/01/04 - 7:51 AM Permalink

Quake3 had good music (by Front Line Assembly).
Rez has one of the best soundtracks. Ken Ishii is awesome :D
JSR ans JSRF have really cool soundtracks.
Wipeout was really good in it's day. It is a little dated now.
American McGee's Alice had a fantastic soundtrack. Chris Vrenna is awesome and the remix of Flying On The Wings Of Steam is just sweet as :)
I like a lot of the Squaresoft/Square-Enix soundtracks.
DDR also has some decent tracks. Mainly the Smile d.k. tracks though.

Submitted by Makk on Sat, 17/01/04 - 8:00 AM Permalink

ANYTHING from Resident Evil on the Cube.

Submitted by MoonUnit on Sat, 17/01/04 - 10:12 AM Permalink

oh yeah the JSRF music was pretty catchy :P

Submitted by smeg on Sat, 17/01/04 - 10:18 AM Permalink

Check out www.ocremix.org
Very cool site.

I love just about anything from Sonic, Chrono Trigger, Castlevania, Zelda, Metroid, Mario or Yoshi's Island.

Then again, i'm nuts.

Submitted by Daemin on Sat, 17/01/04 - 12:16 PM Permalink

Wasn't quake3 done by Sonic Animation - or did they do quake2?

Nine inch nails did quake 1, and doom 1 & 2 has metallica from their good period...

Now I usually just listen to mp3's when I'm playing games - unless they're sneakers or good story based games... Haven't noticed that great a music tho.

Submitted by davidcoen on Sat, 17/01/04 - 12:19 PM Permalink

Redneck Rampage, can't go past 'i've got a pig' and 'babies liquered up'..... (yes, i am being serious)

Submitted by souri on Sat, 17/01/04 - 3:14 PM Permalink

I haven't been totally out of the loop with recent games, but the only memorable music I recall is from the C64 era! Certainly RPG's like Final Fantasy have brilliant scores, but from a genre like FPS's, music is pushed aside for atmospherics... which is understandable, and more suitable for that type of game where you need to hear things happening.
Anyway, like I said, C64 games had brilliant tunes from some great musicians like Rob Hubbard, Martin Galway etc.. games like Auf Wiedersehen Monty, Crazy Comets, Commando, International Karate, Last Ninja, Robocop, Ghost 'n Goblins, Exploding Fist.. there's tonnes more, but I won't bore everyone with my list [:)]. I love the music in Outrun (arcade).

Submitted by Aven on Sat, 17/01/04 - 7:08 PM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by Daemin

Nine inch nails did quake 1, and doom 1 & 2 has metallica from their good period...

Now I usually just listen to mp3's when I'm playing games - unless they're sneakers or good story based games... Haven't noticed that great a music tho.

If you open the .pk3 file to get all the music. The first six tracks were done by Sonic animation (actually ends up being four songs because of the way they recorded the music), and FLA did the last six. The FLA ones were the better ones though. Grttier and bassier :D Rob Zombie did Quake2. The Quake1&2 soundtracks were okay, but not that great.

Submitted by bullet21 on Sat, 17/01/04 - 8:11 PM Permalink

The sims jukebox. It's hilarious just get the sims to song along with it.

Submitted by MoonUnit on Sat, 17/01/04 - 11:11 PM Permalink

i cant beleive i forgot, Time Splitters 2!!!!

that has probably the best music from any game and ive gotten a few tracks.

Submitted by tbag on Sat, 17/01/04 - 11:25 PM Permalink

I would have to say Chrono Trigger for super nintendo, my god was that game the greatest game ever made? I dont think no other game has had music like it and for the super nintendo my god was it good.

So what im saying is go to http://www.zsnes.com A awesome Super Nintendo emulator then go and find the Chrono Trigger game (Chrono Trigger rom) and boot it up.

Submitted by smeg on Sun, 18/01/04 - 1:22 AM Permalink

Sonic Mayhem worked on q2 and 3, not sonic animation.
And Bobby Prince worked on the Doom games.

cheers

Submitted by Daemin on Sun, 18/01/04 - 2:20 AM Permalink

He may have worked on the doom games, but the music is metallica, you can easily tell that.

Submitted by Kane on Sun, 18/01/04 - 4:48 AM Permalink

im into bouncy game songs like in Mario and Yoshi games...theres a Sega Mega Drive 2 game called Chiki Chiki Boys that has some funny music too...

Submitted by Aven on Sun, 18/01/04 - 8:09 AM Permalink

Ah thanks Smeg. I didn't mean to write animation. An Aus dance duo didn't work on an id game :p I'm pretty sure that Zombie also did some work on Quake2. I may have read incorrectly though.

All 8bit and 16bit console games had great music. Street Fighter 2 was one of the first games I listened to without playing the game. The music from the Chemical Plant Zone of Sonic2 was kick arse :D

Submitted by smeg on Mon, 19/01/04 - 4:46 AM Permalink

Ah SF2. I still humm Ryu's music to this day (mainly to annoy people). :D

Submitted by MoonUnit on Mon, 19/01/04 - 6:35 AM Permalink

heh i still "doo doo doo" along to the tunes of wario world 1 on the gameboy (pre colour gameboy)

Submitted by Soul on Mon, 19/01/04 - 9:58 AM Permalink

Personally, I've always felt The Dig had an incredible soundtrack.

Other notable mentions: Diablo II: Lord of Destruction, Planescape: Torment, Ultima VII, Gabriel Knight & Grim Fandango.

Most annoying tune ever: The Astro Chicken Theme from Space Quest III.

Submitted by TheBigJ on Tue, 20/01/04 - 4:38 AM Permalink

My favourites would have to be:

Old School:
Prince of Persia
Sam & Max
Mortal Kombat (1 & 2 mainly)
Doom 1 & 2
Space Quest (with the possible exception of Astro Chicken)
Monkey Island 1 & 2

New School:
Quake3
UT2003. (The Phobos Track rocks... "Chemical Burn" I think its called).
Diablo (1 & 2)
Max Payne (1 & 2)

Thats all I can think of for now.

Submitted by TheBigJ on Tue, 20/01/04 - 4:43 AM Permalink

By the way, has anyone ever noticed the similarity between one of the doom2 riffs and the main riff from "This Love" by Pantera? They're almost identical and would've been released around the same year I think. As far as I know Pantera never worked on the doom music.. Maybe I'm wrong.

Submitted by JonathanKerr on Tue, 20/01/04 - 5:40 AM Permalink

Streets of Rage 1 and 2 (not 3) -> Megadrive.
Chronno Trigger -> SNES
FF6/7/10 -> SNES/PS1/PS2 respectively.
Gain Ground -> Megadrive
Sonic the Hedgehog -> Megadrive
Castlevania 4/X/Symphony -? SNES/PS1

Submitted by bullet21 on Fri, 09/04/04 - 10:23 PM Permalink

Another old thread comin back!

Just finished playing Freedom Fighters and it's soundtrack kix arse. It's like russian choir to techno music. It's the best soundtrack i've heard for anything.

Submitted by Jigen on Sat, 10/04/04 - 11:42 AM Permalink

Final fantasy Wooot. All of them. Thats the top of the chart followed closely by Wild Arms 1 2 and 3. Umm not sure that this counts but DDR and last but definetly not least SECRET OF MANA on the snes. Thats got some kick ass music not to mention the story and gameplay as well. There are other but I have no idea which games they belong to.

Submitted by Rahnem on Sat, 10/04/04 - 11:50 AM Permalink

Wipeout, PS1

All of them.

Submitted by Aven on Sat, 10/04/04 - 6:08 PM Permalink

I actually love all the artists that appeared on the Wipeout soundtrack, but I didn't like the songs that they chose by those artists. Go figure :)

Submitted by MoonUnit on Tue, 13/04/04 - 8:12 AM Permalink

bullet, the theme music for freedom fighters (which i also own) was composed by jesper kyd, he also did the hitman1/2 music which is unsuprisingly by the same developer. But for some damn reason i cant remember the name of the orchestra/choir that performs it for the life of me. Really awesome though isnt it.

actually on that topic, if you didnt know danny elfmans going to be making the theme for the ever delayed xbox rpg fable. Elfman traditionaly works in film with movies like the batman series, edward sciscor hands, beetle juice, pretty much all the recent super hero flicks (spiderman, hulk etc), sleepy hollow and so on to his credit (those who are movie buffs will notice that bar two, those were all tim burton movies, its just cause i love tim burton and consequently there the only ones i know!) aswell as the super famous simpsons theme!!!! though i dont think hell use that style on fable... :D

Submitted by Morphine on Tue, 13/04/04 - 8:06 PM Permalink

I loved the music from MOHAA, very emotive, so too COD.

Diablo 2 is nice and very suited to the different acts, but $hits me because it repeats often.

Zelda OoT & MM Rocks! Music and all!

Submitted by bullet21 on Tue, 13/04/04 - 9:04 PM Permalink

Hey moonunit, was the name by any chance the red army choir, i've heard some of there stuff it's great, and it does sound similar.

Forum

I really hope this hasn't already been discussed, but anyway, whats your fav video game music tracks or theme songs?

For me its the theme music from "No one lives forever" I cant get enough of this song, I have it looping in my headphones right now, I've probably listened to it about 10 times already, I just love it!!

Also theres some nice tracks in UT2003 but they pale in comparison to the Nolf theme. [8]

Submitted by MoonUnit on Sat, 17/01/04 - 5:15 AM Permalink

UT2003 has some ok tracks i suppose but what i like is jesper jyds work in hitman2 and freedom fighters, done with full orchestras and quires and stuff its very dramatic, i love it.

Submitted by Aven on Sat, 17/01/04 - 7:51 AM Permalink

Quake3 had good music (by Front Line Assembly).
Rez has one of the best soundtracks. Ken Ishii is awesome :D
JSR ans JSRF have really cool soundtracks.
Wipeout was really good in it's day. It is a little dated now.
American McGee's Alice had a fantastic soundtrack. Chris Vrenna is awesome and the remix of Flying On The Wings Of Steam is just sweet as :)
I like a lot of the Squaresoft/Square-Enix soundtracks.
DDR also has some decent tracks. Mainly the Smile d.k. tracks though.

Submitted by Makk on Sat, 17/01/04 - 8:00 AM Permalink

ANYTHING from Resident Evil on the Cube.

Submitted by MoonUnit on Sat, 17/01/04 - 10:12 AM Permalink

oh yeah the JSRF music was pretty catchy :P

Submitted by smeg on Sat, 17/01/04 - 10:18 AM Permalink

Check out www.ocremix.org
Very cool site.

I love just about anything from Sonic, Chrono Trigger, Castlevania, Zelda, Metroid, Mario or Yoshi's Island.

Then again, i'm nuts.

Submitted by Daemin on Sat, 17/01/04 - 12:16 PM Permalink

Submitted by davidcoen on Sat, 17/01/04 - 12:19 PM Permalink

Redneck Rampage, can't go past 'i've got a pig' and 'babies liquered up'..... (yes, i am being serious)

Submitted by souri on Sat, 17/01/04 - 3:14 PM Permalink

I haven't been totally out of the loop with recent games, but the only memorable music I recall is from the C64 era! Certainly RPG's like Final Fantasy have brilliant scores, but from a genre like FPS's, music is pushed aside for atmospherics... which is understandable, and more suitable for that type of game where you need to hear things happening.
Anyway, like I said, C64 games had brilliant tunes from some great musicians like Rob Hubbard, Martin Galway etc.. games like Auf Wiedersehen Monty, Crazy Comets, Commando, International Karate, Last Ninja, Robocop, Ghost 'n Goblins, Exploding Fist.. there's tonnes more, but I won't bore everyone with my list [:)]. I love the music in Outrun (arcade).

Submitted by Aven on Sat, 17/01/04 - 7:08 PM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by Daemin

If you open the .pk3 file to get all the music. The first six tracks were done by Sonic animation (actually ends up being four songs because of the way they recorded the music), and FLA did the last six. The FLA ones were the better ones though. Grttier and bassier :D Rob Zombie did Quake2. The Quake1&2 soundtracks were okay, but not that great.

Submitted by bullet21 on Sat, 17/01/04 - 8:11 PM Permalink

The sims jukebox. It's hilarious just get the sims to song along with it.

Submitted by MoonUnit on Sat, 17/01/04 - 11:11 PM Permalink

i cant beleive i forgot, Time Splitters 2!!!!

that has probably the best music from any game and ive gotten a few tracks.

Submitted by tbag on Sat, 17/01/04 - 11:25 PM Permalink

I would have to say Chrono Trigger for super nintendo, my god was that game the greatest game ever made? I dont think no other game has had music like it and for the super nintendo my god was it good.

So what im saying is go to http://www.zsnes.com A awesome Super Nintendo emulator then go and find the Chrono Trigger game (Chrono Trigger rom) and boot it up.

Submitted by smeg on Sun, 18/01/04 - 1:22 AM Permalink

Sonic Mayhem worked on q2 and 3, not sonic animation.
And Bobby Prince worked on the Doom games.

cheers

Submitted by Daemin on Sun, 18/01/04 - 2:20 AM Permalink

He may have worked on the doom games, but the music is metallica, you can easily tell that.

Submitted by Kane on Sun, 18/01/04 - 4:48 AM Permalink

im into bouncy game songs like in Mario and Yoshi games...theres a Sega Mega Drive 2 game called Chiki Chiki Boys that has some funny music too...

Submitted by Aven on Sun, 18/01/04 - 8:09 AM Permalink

Ah thanks Smeg. I didn't mean to write animation. An Aus dance duo didn't work on an id game :p I'm pretty sure that Zombie also did some work on Quake2. I may have read incorrectly though.

All 8bit and 16bit console games had great music. Street Fighter 2 was one of the first games I listened to without playing the game. The music from the Chemical Plant Zone of Sonic2 was kick arse :D

Submitted by smeg on Mon, 19/01/04 - 4:46 AM Permalink

Ah SF2. I still humm Ryu's music to this day (mainly to annoy people). :D

Submitted by MoonUnit on Mon, 19/01/04 - 6:35 AM Permalink

heh i still "doo doo doo" along to the tunes of wario world 1 on the gameboy (pre colour gameboy)

Submitted by Soul on Mon, 19/01/04 - 9:58 AM Permalink

Personally, I've always felt The Dig had an incredible soundtrack.

Other notable mentions: Diablo II: Lord of Destruction, Planescape: Torment, Ultima VII, Gabriel Knight & Grim Fandango.

Most annoying tune ever: The Astro Chicken Theme from Space Quest III.

Submitted by TheBigJ on Tue, 20/01/04 - 4:38 AM Permalink

My favourites would have to be:

Old School:
Prince of Persia
Sam & Max
Mortal Kombat (1 & 2 mainly)
Doom 1 & 2
Space Quest (with the possible exception of Astro Chicken)
Monkey Island 1 & 2

New School:
Quake3
UT2003. (The Phobos Track rocks... "Chemical Burn" I think its called).
Diablo (1 & 2)
Max Payne (1 & 2)

Thats all I can think of for now.

Submitted by TheBigJ on Tue, 20/01/04 - 4:43 AM Permalink

By the way, has anyone ever noticed the similarity between one of the doom2 riffs and the main riff from "This Love" by Pantera? They're almost identical and would've been released around the same year I think. As far as I know Pantera never worked on the doom music.. Maybe I'm wrong.

Submitted by JonathanKerr on Tue, 20/01/04 - 5:40 AM Permalink

Streets of Rage 1 and 2 (not 3) -> Megadrive.
Chronno Trigger -> SNES
FF6/7/10 -> SNES/PS1/PS2 respectively.
Gain Ground -> Megadrive
Sonic the Hedgehog -> Megadrive
Castlevania 4/X/Symphony -? SNES/PS1

Submitted by bullet21 on Fri, 09/04/04 - 10:23 PM Permalink

Another old thread comin back!

Just finished playing Freedom Fighters and it's soundtrack kix arse. It's like russian choir to techno music. It's the best soundtrack i've heard for anything.

Submitted by Jigen on Sat, 10/04/04 - 11:42 AM Permalink

Final fantasy Wooot. All of them. Thats the top of the chart followed closely by Wild Arms 1 2 and 3. Umm not sure that this counts but DDR and last but definetly not least SECRET OF MANA on the snes. Thats got some kick ass music not to mention the story and gameplay as well. There are other but I have no idea which games they belong to.

Submitted by Rahnem on Sat, 10/04/04 - 11:50 AM Permalink

Wipeout, PS1

All of them.

Submitted by Aven on Sat, 10/04/04 - 6:08 PM Permalink

I actually love all the artists that appeared on the Wipeout soundtrack, but I didn't like the songs that they chose by those artists. Go figure :)

Submitted by MoonUnit on Tue, 13/04/04 - 8:12 AM Permalink

bullet, the theme music for freedom fighters (which i also own) was composed by jesper kyd, he also did the hitman1/2 music which is unsuprisingly by the same developer. But for some damn reason i cant remember the name of the orchestra/choir that performs it for the life of me. Really awesome though isnt it.

actually on that topic, if you didnt know danny elfmans going to be making the theme for the ever delayed xbox rpg fable. Elfman traditionaly works in film with movies like the batman series, edward sciscor hands, beetle juice, pretty much all the recent super hero flicks (spiderman, hulk etc), sleepy hollow and so on to his credit (those who are movie buffs will notice that bar two, those were all tim burton movies, its just cause i love tim burton and consequently there the only ones i know!) aswell as the super famous simpsons theme!!!! though i dont think hell use that style on fable... :D

Submitted by Morphine on Tue, 13/04/04 - 8:06 PM Permalink

I loved the music from MOHAA, very emotive, so too COD.

Diablo 2 is nice and very suited to the different acts, but $hits me because it repeats often.

Zelda OoT & MM Rocks! Music and all!

Submitted by bullet21 on Tue, 13/04/04 - 9:04 PM Permalink

Hey moonunit, was the name by any chance the red army choir, i've heard some of there stuff it's great, and it does sound similar.