Skip to main content

WIP: Goliath Character Model

Submitted by Kratos on

Hey all ,

Just wanted some feedback on this model I have been working on .

At the moment I have yet to decide if I should attach his wings in a fully stretched or slightly bent position. Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated :)

Thanks for looking

Slightly bent wing images

Fully stretched wing images

Submitted by Johnn on Sat, 16/12/06 - 7:07 AM Permalink

ummmm... somewhere inbetween.

The wing shape is also a little ambiguous as to whether they are in a 'folded'(for walking around) or 'unfolded' (for flying) position. Addressing this might well solve your stretched/unstreched delemma too.

Submitted by Kratos on Sun, 17/12/06 - 7:26 AM Permalink

[QUOTE=JohnN] ummmm... somewhere inbetween.

The wing shape is also a little ambiguous as to whether they are in a 'folded'(for walking around) or 'unfolded' (for flying) position. Addressing this might well solve your stretched/unstreched delemma too.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the comments. well I was going for this sort of position .. but having adjusted them to this position would mean that they would be the starting point for all animations . Not sure if such a position would be desirable. Theirs a huge bend on the side and on top.

Submitted by Sorceror Bob on Sun, 17/12/06 - 1:52 PM Permalink

Run 'bats' through google images for references.

Look at how they're built, how their wings function in various poses or stages of movement.

In the picture you have, the wings behave more like a cloak (notice the perspective near the foot on the left hand side - the wing is in front of the foot), they're wrapped around the character.

Seriously though, look at bats. Ask yourself, 'why are those claws there' and 'how are they attached to the body. Think about the underlying structure of bones and muscle. If you think about it, 95% of the surface of the wings are a layer of skin. It's that other 5% you really need to focus on. Build that, make it kick ass in it's functionality, then worry about the rest.

Submitted by Kratos on Mon, 18/12/06 - 8:56 AM Permalink

[QUOTE=Sorceror Bob] Run 'bats' through google images for references.

Look at how they're built, how their wings function in various poses or stages of movement.

In the picture you have, the wings behave more like a cloak (notice the perspective near the foot on the left hand side - the wing is in front of the foot), they're wrapped around the character.

Seriously though, look at bats. Ask yourself, 'why are those claws there' and 'how are they attached to the body. Think about the underlying structure of bones and muscle. If you think about it, 95% of the surface of the wings are a layer of skin. It's that other 5% you really need to focus on. Build that, make it kick ass in it's functionality, then worry about the rest. [/QUOTE]

wow, thanks for that. I shall definitetly take that on board thanks again :)

Submitted by Kratos on Wed, 20/12/06 - 9:15 AM Permalink

Wow an afternoon reading about bat wings does do wonders. Thanks again Sorceror Bob. I will be attaching the wings in this spread position. When the wings get animated they will bend as shown below.

Submitted by Johnn on Wed, 20/12/06 - 11:10 AM Permalink

wow, big improvement, well done!

the wings could be detailed up a little further by defining the bone structure. but a lot better all up.

the pose where the wings wrap around the body, it looks like the bone have been deformed rather than moved at the joints? This makes the wings look not as realistic/natural as they could be. Modelling the bone structure of the wings might also help with this.

Submitted by Kratos on Thu, 21/12/06 - 8:08 AM Permalink

[QUOTE=JohnN] wow, big improvement, well done!

the wings could be detailed up a little further by defining the bone structure. but a lot better all up.

the pose where the wings wrap around the body, it looks like the bone have been deformed rather than moved at the joints? This makes the wings look not as realistic/natural as they could be. Modelling the bone structure of the wings might also help with this.[/QUOTE]

Thanks

Yeah .. I tried to model some detail before and used way to many polys, so this time i will be texturing the bones instead. At the moment i have used a bend modifier to bend the wings so this isn't the final animation .. bones will be placed on the different edges that make up the bones on the wing. Their hard to see but every bone of the wing has an edge beneath that goes up to the point of the wing.

Submitted by Kratos on Tue, 09/01/07 - 6:21 AM Permalink

Okay time for another update .. any crits welcomed .. good or bad

Posted by Kratos on

Hey all ,

Just wanted some feedback on this model I have been working on .

At the moment I have yet to decide if I should attach his wings in a fully stretched or slightly bent position. Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated :)

Thanks for looking

Slightly bent wing images

Fully stretched wing images

Submitted by Johnn on Sat, 16/12/06 - 7:07 AM Permalink

ummmm... somewhere inbetween.

The wing shape is also a little ambiguous as to whether they are in a 'folded'(for walking around) or 'unfolded' (for flying) position. Addressing this might well solve your stretched/unstreched delemma too.

Submitted by Kratos on Sun, 17/12/06 - 7:26 AM Permalink

[QUOTE=JohnN] ummmm... somewhere inbetween.

The wing shape is also a little ambiguous as to whether they are in a 'folded'(for walking around) or 'unfolded' (for flying) position. Addressing this might well solve your stretched/unstreched delemma too.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the comments. well I was going for this sort of position .. but having adjusted them to this position would mean that they would be the starting point for all animations . Not sure if such a position would be desirable. Theirs a huge bend on the side and on top.

Submitted by Sorceror Bob on Sun, 17/12/06 - 1:52 PM Permalink

Run 'bats' through google images for references.

Seriously though, look at bats. Ask yourself, 'why are those claws there' and 'how are they attached to the body. Think about the underlying structure of bones and muscle. If you think about it, 95% of the surface of the wings are a layer of skin. It's that other 5% you really need to focus on. Build that, make it kick ass in it's functionality, then worry about the rest.

Submitted by Kratos on Mon, 18/12/06 - 8:56 AM Permalink

[QUOTE=Sorceror Bob] Run 'bats' through google images for references.

Seriously though, look at bats. Ask yourself, 'why are those claws there' and 'how are they attached to the body. Think about the underlying structure of bones and muscle. If you think about it, 95% of the surface of the wings are a layer of skin. It's that other 5% you really need to focus on. Build that, make it kick ass in it's functionality, then worry about the rest. [/QUOTE]

wow, thanks for that. I shall definitetly take that on board thanks again :)

Submitted by Kratos on Wed, 20/12/06 - 9:15 AM Permalink

Wow an afternoon reading about bat wings does do wonders. Thanks again Sorceror Bob. I will be attaching the wings in this spread position. When the wings get animated they will bend as shown below.

Submitted by Johnn on Wed, 20/12/06 - 11:10 AM Permalink

wow, big improvement, well done!

the pose where the wings wrap around the body, it looks like the bone have been deformed rather than moved at the joints? This makes the wings look not as realistic/natural as they could be. Modelling the bone structure of the wings might also help with this.

Submitted by Kratos on Thu, 21/12/06 - 8:08 AM Permalink

[QUOTE=JohnN] wow, big improvement, well done!

the pose where the wings wrap around the body, it looks like the bone have been deformed rather than moved at the joints? This makes the wings look not as realistic/natural as they could be. Modelling the bone structure of the wings might also help with this.[/QUOTE]

Thanks

Yeah .. I tried to model some detail before and used way to many polys, so this time i will be texturing the bones instead. At the moment i have used a bend modifier to bend the wings so this isn't the final animation .. bones will be placed on the different edges that make up the bones on the wing. Their hard to see but every bone of the wing has an edge beneath that goes up to the point of the wing.

Submitted by Kratos on Tue, 09/01/07 - 6:21 AM Permalink

Okay time for another update .. any crits welcomed .. good or bad