Skip to main content

Best RTS you have ever played?

Submitted by tbag on
Forum

Just wondering what is everyones favourite real time strategy?

I would have to say StarCraft personally, not only is it a fantastic storyline but the re-playability is perfect. Sure its graphics aint all that great but they still keep up with todays standards i beleive, and I still play it online to this very day and still get many kicks out of it, truly the best RTS i have ever played in my life.

I recently purchased Command and Conquer Generals (a month or two ago) and for some reason i was bored after around an hour and only got the impression the game had nice visuals and a few little suprises. But overall it isnt to shabby but just doesnt provide me with a deep storyline and the kind of gameplay i want.

But you give me StarCraft and i'll be sitting there for 3-6 hours straight playing it, i have never gotten bored of it once.

So how about everyone elses favourite RTS'?
(Sorry if a similiar thread has been posted, im too lazy to search)

Submitted by Aven on Mon, 16/08/04 - 5:21 AM Permalink

Probably Starcraft or Total Annihilation (not Kingdoms). I liked the orginal C&C, but wasn't too much of a fan for the others. I don't know if it really counts, but the original (er.. well remade :P) Battlezone was cool.

Submitted by MoonUnit on Mon, 16/08/04 - 7:01 AM Permalink

I think my vote would either go to AOE2 (age of kings) or warcraft three, they both have their ups and downs so im not sure which i prefer.

Submitted by Major Clod on Mon, 16/08/04 - 9:38 AM Permalink

My favourite RTS is definately Total Annihilation. The singleplayer was nothing mindblowing and the AI sucked, but multiplayer was always a blast. There was something about building hundreds of robots and just laying waste to the enemy that was simply satifying. Nukes, planes, hovercraft, gigantic robots, tanks, battleships, massive long range cannons, what more do you need?

I still play TA multiplayer with mates all the time, its always a blast. I also enjoy the Warcraft series, never really got into C&C, and Starcraft I didn't mind. Age of Empires I cannot get into, it bores me!

Submitted by UniqueSnowFlake on Mon, 16/08/04 - 10:30 AM Permalink

I'm going to stick with Blizzard and throw my vote towards Warcraft 3. I probably would of gotten into Starcraft but at the time where I had my chance to I was to much of a gun happy shot everything on the screen. So Warcraft gets my vote and I'm sure when StarCraft 2 comes out I'll jump into that.

Submitted by Kane on Mon, 16/08/04 - 6:42 PM Permalink

Age of Mytholgoy and the Titans expansion by far my favourite/s...

Impossible Creatures is very original but not the best RTS around...

Submitted by LiveWire on Mon, 16/08/04 - 9:17 PM Permalink

AOE2 for single player and some multiplayer, cos it was just awsome.

Red Alert 2 for multiplayer (single player kinda sucks). it was just a great game for cheap tactics and so many stradegies. and fun from both ends of the battle, that is to be winning or losing (in a crazy sort of way).

Submitted by Malus on Mon, 16/08/04 - 10:21 PM Permalink

Warcraft 2 for me.
Warcraft 3 sucked the big phooey, too easy to hack the play systems and make yourself unbeatable.

Looking forward to Dawn of War!!!

Submitted by TyKeiL on Mon, 16/08/04 - 10:28 PM Permalink

Starcraft- cannot be beaten, coming in a close second warcraft 2 then total annihilation

honourable mentions in no particular order, dune 2, war3, c&c, red alert 2- although none of my friends wanted to play ra2 with me, :( i always kicked there ass too much.[:o)]

jeremy soule is a kick ass composer, the music for total annihilation was soooooooo good i would listen to it in the cd player all the time.

and i have always hated any of the "age of" games.:exit[8)]

Submitted by panzer on Mon, 16/08/04 - 11:17 PM Permalink

Personally I like Generals ZH. It may not have the depth like AOE2 but I was able to develop and implement tactical supremacy in multiplayer simply because I understood military strategy and ZH was the closest game to realistic units and fun too. It is extremely one sided if you undertood technical factions

But still ZH is flawed in AI particularly path finding. seriously no game OUT there has a good traffic management system.

I thinking of creating a new post on flaws and possible solutions to many of the RTS games.

Oh yes, technology will give the weapons of war, man will give the art of war.

Submitted by Daemin on Mon, 16/08/04 - 11:39 PM Permalink

TA is still good, though Warcraft3 is good too, even better now with the limited units I think. Although we've been playing a lot of Generals lately, and especially Zero Hour. Though Zero Hour has some major flaws in its network or AI code that it slows down the game a lot when you're playing a large multiplayer game.

Submitted by codyalday on Tue, 17/08/04 - 5:05 AM Permalink

Can't believe noone has mentioned " Commandos 2 " Best RTS, I Swear, so awsome. Also C & C Red Aleart.

Submitted by bullet21 on Wed, 18/08/04 - 3:01 AM Permalink

I would have to say Warcraft 3 as well, i just loved it, the cut scenes were worth the 80 bucks by itself.

Submitted by souri on Wed, 15/09/04 - 11:24 AM Permalink

(yes, old topic) I put my vote towards Starcraft [:D]

Has anyone seen the preview movies of that Lord of the Rings RTS game? The artwork, aimation, music/atmosphere etc is unbelievable.. I didn't think 3D graphics in RTS games could ever match something that was already well done in 2d, but I've changed my mind after seeing that game..

Submitted by DaMunkee on Wed, 22/09/04 - 1:15 AM Permalink

Well, imagine what I'm going to say :) Yuri's Revenge baby! Hehe, it will always hold a special place in my heart...

The blizzard style never sat well with me, sure I played them, but my true love was always the C&C universe... it's a shame we screwed up Generals by trying to "do what blizzard did." Ah well, we'll see how the team goes with the Battle for Middle earth, at E3 it looked fantastic!

Submitted by Kalescent on Wed, 22/09/04 - 3:13 AM Permalink

BFME looks amazing, i cant wait to play!

Submitted by Triton on Wed, 22/09/04 - 6:37 AM Permalink

Defaintly Warcraft 3 TFT. If any of you play on battle.net come hang out in channel sumea [:D]

Submitted by Alti on Fri, 24/09/04 - 5:16 AM Permalink

i'm currently in the closed beta for warhammer dawn of war,

and i can say without any doubt that it kicks the sweet ass off all other rts, the comand systems and tek trees, dropships and units rock,
oh and the graphics and animations are unrivaled, and its just the closed beta.- can't wait for the actual game.

Submitted by MoonUnit on Fri, 24/09/04 - 5:23 AM Permalink

your in that beta? damn you! *shakes fist*
ive been waiting for a good warhammer 40k RTS for ages, all the warhammer computer games before-hand have been lousy. I hope they release a add on later with tyranids though :(

Submitted by Alti on Sat, 25/09/04 - 12:52 AM Permalink

they should have a addon for each and every team, imagine playing that online on a massive campain style map .

because its dropship baced players can join a multiplayer game whenever they want.

it would be compleatly awsome to have a massive server running an open territory of maps all linked together.

Submitted by souri on Tue, 05/10/04 - 4:45 PM Permalink

I feel embarrassed and ashamed that I haven't played Warcraft 3 for more than probably 10 minutes [:(]

I've just downloaded 5 episodes of "Inside the Battle", where the producers and game designers talk through elements of Battle for Middle Earth. Just to re-iterate again, it rocks [:)].

Submitted by DaMunkee on Tue, 05/10/04 - 8:46 PM Permalink

I watched a couple of those Souri, having worked with Skaggs, I can't help but cringe every time he opens his mouth. Yes the game looks good, and yes I have friends till on the team, but that man... senior Skaggs, has to be the devil reincarnated! It's just amazing how he's able to take the most basic thing (example, emotion in games, which has been the goal of games since the dawn of games) and how he spouts off about how he's responsible for everything. What the rest of the team does what? sit on their ass? Ah well, just had to rant :) On the other hand, I'll be sure to score a copy when it comes out. Although I'll probably be ordering it from canada or something... man game prices are high here!

Submitted by bullet21 on Wed, 06/10/04 - 2:20 AM Permalink

hey souri, where did you download them from?

Submitted by souri on Wed, 06/10/04 - 3:01 AM Permalink

I get them from http://www.gamearena.com.au ... go to the files section, select movies, and do a search for 'Inside' or 'Battle'.. They're pretty large (around 150mbs each), but if you're on Telstra cable, you should get them pretty quick. Just a few minutes for me. Definately worth having a look if you love the movies. There's a few flybys of some of the huge cities and towns you'll recognise from there, and the atmosphere, music, and action is awesome. It pretty much feels like the movie.

Submitted by souri on Fri, 08/10/04 - 4:30 AM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by DaMunkee

On the other hand, I'll be sure to score a copy when it comes out. Although I'll probably be ordering it from canada or something... man game prices are high here!
**Tell me about it!!** From an old post about Unreal Tournament 2004 - it cost $39US (at Amazon or ebgames in America). I did a quick conversion to our currency at that time which made it about $52 AUS.. Not bad, I thought! But add distribution costs, retailers cut etc, and it was available at our stores for $100 AUS!

Submitted by tbag on Sun, 10/10/04 - 2:59 AM Permalink

We tend to get screwed over a little bit with games. The only problem is trying to find a decent cheap USA gamestore that ships international without insane shipping rates.

I wish Lik-Sang.com stocked PC games, those guys are great from previous experience.

Submitted by tachyon on Sun, 10/10/04 - 9:43 AM Permalink

Netstorm!!! It was seriously awesome, and had the most awesome online community as well, unfortunately it didn't do too well. In my opinion one of the better and more unique rts games out there

Submitted by tbag on Mon, 11/10/04 - 2:33 AM Permalink

How about Pokemon? It was kind of realtime [:p].

Posted by tbag on
Forum

Just wondering what is everyones favourite real time strategy?

I would have to say StarCraft personally, not only is it a fantastic storyline but the re-playability is perfect. Sure its graphics aint all that great but they still keep up with todays standards i beleive, and I still play it online to this very day and still get many kicks out of it, truly the best RTS i have ever played in my life.

I recently purchased Command and Conquer Generals (a month or two ago) and for some reason i was bored after around an hour and only got the impression the game had nice visuals and a few little suprises. But overall it isnt to shabby but just doesnt provide me with a deep storyline and the kind of gameplay i want.

But you give me StarCraft and i'll be sitting there for 3-6 hours straight playing it, i have never gotten bored of it once.

So how about everyone elses favourite RTS'?
(Sorry if a similiar thread has been posted, im too lazy to search)

Submitted by Aven on Mon, 16/08/04 - 5:21 AM Permalink

Probably Starcraft or Total Annihilation (not Kingdoms). I liked the orginal C&C, but wasn't too much of a fan for the others. I don't know if it really counts, but the original (er.. well remade :P) Battlezone was cool.

Submitted by MoonUnit on Mon, 16/08/04 - 7:01 AM Permalink

I think my vote would either go to AOE2 (age of kings) or warcraft three, they both have their ups and downs so im not sure which i prefer.

Submitted by Major Clod on Mon, 16/08/04 - 9:38 AM Permalink

My favourite RTS is definately Total Annihilation. The singleplayer was nothing mindblowing and the AI sucked, but multiplayer was always a blast. There was something about building hundreds of robots and just laying waste to the enemy that was simply satifying. Nukes, planes, hovercraft, gigantic robots, tanks, battleships, massive long range cannons, what more do you need?

I still play TA multiplayer with mates all the time, its always a blast. I also enjoy the Warcraft series, never really got into C&C, and Starcraft I didn't mind. Age of Empires I cannot get into, it bores me!

Submitted by UniqueSnowFlake on Mon, 16/08/04 - 10:30 AM Permalink

I'm going to stick with Blizzard and throw my vote towards Warcraft 3. I probably would of gotten into Starcraft but at the time where I had my chance to I was to much of a gun happy shot everything on the screen. So Warcraft gets my vote and I'm sure when StarCraft 2 comes out I'll jump into that.

Submitted by Kane on Mon, 16/08/04 - 6:42 PM Permalink

Age of Mytholgoy and the Titans expansion by far my favourite/s...

Impossible Creatures is very original but not the best RTS around...

Submitted by LiveWire on Mon, 16/08/04 - 9:17 PM Permalink

AOE2 for single player and some multiplayer, cos it was just awsome.

Red Alert 2 for multiplayer (single player kinda sucks). it was just a great game for cheap tactics and so many stradegies. and fun from both ends of the battle, that is to be winning or losing (in a crazy sort of way).

Submitted by Malus on Mon, 16/08/04 - 10:21 PM Permalink

Warcraft 2 for me.
Warcraft 3 sucked the big phooey, too easy to hack the play systems and make yourself unbeatable.

Looking forward to Dawn of War!!!

Submitted by TyKeiL on Mon, 16/08/04 - 10:28 PM Permalink

Starcraft- cannot be beaten, coming in a close second warcraft 2 then total annihilation

honourable mentions in no particular order, dune 2, war3, c&c, red alert 2- although none of my friends wanted to play ra2 with me, :( i always kicked there ass too much.[:o)]

jeremy soule is a kick ass composer, the music for total annihilation was soooooooo good i would listen to it in the cd player all the time.

and i have always hated any of the "age of" games.:exit[8)]

Submitted by panzer on Mon, 16/08/04 - 11:17 PM Permalink

Personally I like Generals ZH. It may not have the depth like AOE2 but I was able to develop and implement tactical supremacy in multiplayer simply because I understood military strategy and ZH was the closest game to realistic units and fun too. It is extremely one sided if you undertood technical factions

But still ZH is flawed in AI particularly path finding. seriously no game OUT there has a good traffic management system.

I thinking of creating a new post on flaws and possible solutions to many of the RTS games.

Oh yes, technology will give the weapons of war, man will give the art of war.

Submitted by Daemin on Mon, 16/08/04 - 11:39 PM Permalink

TA is still good, though Warcraft3 is good too, even better now with the limited units I think. Although we've been playing a lot of Generals lately, and especially Zero Hour. Though Zero Hour has some major flaws in its network or AI code that it slows down the game a lot when you're playing a large multiplayer game.

Submitted by codyalday on Tue, 17/08/04 - 5:05 AM Permalink

Can't believe noone has mentioned " Commandos 2 " Best RTS, I Swear, so awsome. Also C & C Red Aleart.

Submitted by bullet21 on Wed, 18/08/04 - 3:01 AM Permalink

I would have to say Warcraft 3 as well, i just loved it, the cut scenes were worth the 80 bucks by itself.

Submitted by souri on Wed, 15/09/04 - 11:24 AM Permalink

(yes, old topic) I put my vote towards Starcraft [:D]

Has anyone seen the preview movies of that Lord of the Rings RTS game? The artwork, aimation, music/atmosphere etc is unbelievable.. I didn't think 3D graphics in RTS games could ever match something that was already well done in 2d, but I've changed my mind after seeing that game..

Submitted by DaMunkee on Wed, 22/09/04 - 1:15 AM Permalink

Well, imagine what I'm going to say :) Yuri's Revenge baby! Hehe, it will always hold a special place in my heart...

The blizzard style never sat well with me, sure I played them, but my true love was always the C&C universe... it's a shame we screwed up Generals by trying to "do what blizzard did." Ah well, we'll see how the team goes with the Battle for Middle earth, at E3 it looked fantastic!

Submitted by Kalescent on Wed, 22/09/04 - 3:13 AM Permalink

BFME looks amazing, i cant wait to play!

Submitted by Triton on Wed, 22/09/04 - 6:37 AM Permalink

Defaintly Warcraft 3 TFT. If any of you play on battle.net come hang out in channel sumea [:D]

Submitted by Alti on Fri, 24/09/04 - 5:16 AM Permalink

i'm currently in the closed beta for warhammer dawn of war,

and i can say without any doubt that it kicks the sweet ass off all other rts, the comand systems and tek trees, dropships and units rock,
oh and the graphics and animations are unrivaled, and its just the closed beta.- can't wait for the actual game.

Submitted by MoonUnit on Fri, 24/09/04 - 5:23 AM Permalink

your in that beta? damn you! *shakes fist*
ive been waiting for a good warhammer 40k RTS for ages, all the warhammer computer games before-hand have been lousy. I hope they release a add on later with tyranids though :(

Submitted by Alti on Sat, 25/09/04 - 12:52 AM Permalink

they should have a addon for each and every team, imagine playing that online on a massive campain style map .

because its dropship baced players can join a multiplayer game whenever they want.

it would be compleatly awsome to have a massive server running an open territory of maps all linked together.

Submitted by souri on Tue, 05/10/04 - 4:45 PM Permalink

I feel embarrassed and ashamed that I haven't played Warcraft 3 for more than probably 10 minutes [:(]

I've just downloaded 5 episodes of "Inside the Battle", where the producers and game designers talk through elements of Battle for Middle Earth. Just to re-iterate again, it rocks [:)].

Submitted by DaMunkee on Tue, 05/10/04 - 8:46 PM Permalink

I watched a couple of those Souri, having worked with Skaggs, I can't help but cringe every time he opens his mouth. Yes the game looks good, and yes I have friends till on the team, but that man... senior Skaggs, has to be the devil reincarnated! It's just amazing how he's able to take the most basic thing (example, emotion in games, which has been the goal of games since the dawn of games) and how he spouts off about how he's responsible for everything. What the rest of the team does what? sit on their ass? Ah well, just had to rant :) On the other hand, I'll be sure to score a copy when it comes out. Although I'll probably be ordering it from canada or something... man game prices are high here!

Submitted by bullet21 on Wed, 06/10/04 - 2:20 AM Permalink

hey souri, where did you download them from?

Submitted by souri on Wed, 06/10/04 - 3:01 AM Permalink

I get them from http://www.gamearena.com.au ... go to the files section, select movies, and do a search for 'Inside' or 'Battle'.. They're pretty large (around 150mbs each), but if you're on Telstra cable, you should get them pretty quick. Just a few minutes for me. Definately worth having a look if you love the movies. There's a few flybys of some of the huge cities and towns you'll recognise from there, and the atmosphere, music, and action is awesome. It pretty much feels like the movie.

Submitted by souri on Fri, 08/10/04 - 4:30 AM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by DaMunkee

On the other hand, I'll be sure to score a copy when it comes out. Although I'll probably be ordering it from canada or something... man game prices are high here!
**Tell me about it!!** From an old post about Unreal Tournament 2004 - it cost $39US (at Amazon or ebgames in America). I did a quick conversion to our currency at that time which made it about $52 AUS.. Not bad, I thought! But add distribution costs, retailers cut etc, and it was available at our stores for $100 AUS!

Submitted by tbag on Sun, 10/10/04 - 2:59 AM Permalink

We tend to get screwed over a little bit with games. The only problem is trying to find a decent cheap USA gamestore that ships international without insane shipping rates.

I wish Lik-Sang.com stocked PC games, those guys are great from previous experience.

Submitted by tachyon on Sun, 10/10/04 - 9:43 AM Permalink

Netstorm!!! It was seriously awesome, and had the most awesome online community as well, unfortunately it didn't do too well. In my opinion one of the better and more unique rts games out there

Submitted by tbag on Mon, 11/10/04 - 2:33 AM Permalink

How about Pokemon? It was kind of realtime [:p].