Skip to main content

Stupid things I've done...

Submitted by Mdobele on
Forum

I've been doing a bit of OT lately with crunch time and all but I didnt realise my brain was this fried.

I was testing a CD install and simply wanted to copy the CD key from the computer onto my paper notepad on my desk.... so what do I do. I highlight said CD key and then whilst staring at my notepad proceed to hit the CTRl-V key. Did this a couple of times before my brain decided to take a look at its surroundings and promptly vacate the room shaking its head in shame.

[xx(]

Submitted by WiffleCube on Fri, 15/07/05 - 7:42 AM Permalink

Recent Javachat conversation:

A: there's this freakish bug crawling across my monitor
A: it follows the mouse caret when I move it
B: cool take a screenshot
A: ok
A: no, wait..that's retarded

Submitted by Jason on Fri, 15/07/05 - 7:14 PM Permalink

I'm sure a lot of artists have done this before, but I was in a painting class and I made a bad stroke and my immediate reaction was to go for the "CTRL Z" command. [:X]

Submitted by LiveWire on Fri, 15/07/05 - 7:19 PM Permalink

hahahaha. love it.

i've never done anything that bad but usually when i'm sketching or writing and i make a mistake my mind thinks "ctrl z" for a moment before i in clearer mine i think "dang it! why can't fixing a mistake be as easy in real life as it is on a pc?"

Submitted by Major Clod on Fri, 15/07/05 - 8:21 PM Permalink

I sometimes accidently say stuff like Delete instead of Remove in real life.

Working in the garden... "Hey, lets delete those plants."

Submitted by rezn0r on Fri, 15/07/05 - 11:01 PM Permalink

Mik is great fun to watch in action. I'm pretty sure he doesn't know what day it is right now. [:P]

My favourite stupid thing Mik has done lately would have to be when he got one of those emails with pictures of dogs wearing sunglasses at about the time he got a businessy email. He replied to everyone on the biz mail list saying "awww cuuute puppies!".

As for me, when I'm exhausted I sometimes talk at length without using real words. [:P]

Scott.

Submitted by Mick1460 on Sat, 16/07/05 - 1:37 AM Permalink

ill be out somewhere and someone will say something funny and I have to stop myself from saying 'LOL'

Submitted by MoonUnit on Mon, 18/07/05 - 10:09 AM Permalink

Watching rage in the early hours of the morning i kept having the impulse that i needed to knock the mouse before the screensaver kicked in. I blame it on watching music DVDs, downloaded videos and such on my computer. The worse part is i would be like "oh heh its the TV, how silly of me..." and then 5 minutes later id have the same impulse again.

Submitted by lorien on Mon, 18/07/05 - 10:37 PM Permalink

The real worry is when, in a state of half asleep daze with a partner trying to seduce you, you start getting confused between what you do when using a computer, and what you do when having sex...

I've been guilty once, many, many years ago [:(] I'd been working 4pm to 9am for several months.

Submitted by rezn0r on Mon, 18/07/05 - 11:07 PM Permalink

OHHH DEAR lorien!

That's pretty weird... but not as weird as screaming "STEVE BALMER!!! WOOO" in their face (which I don't recommend!).

Scott.

Submitted by souri on Mon, 18/07/05 - 11:36 PM Permalink

Drank for 10 hours on the weekend during Free Play. [:0] (not AT Free Play, btw. I wasn't blind drunk either, I was pacing pretty slow, but yeh..)

Submitted by Caroo on Tue, 19/07/05 - 6:14 AM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by Souri

Drank for 10 hours on the weekend during Free Play. [:0] (not AT Free Play, btw. I wasn't blind drunk either, I was pacing pretty slow, but yeh..)

ok souri where you there for the early friday sessions? if so remember.. If you buy a PSP your confroming to commusiem.

Submitted by Major Clod on Tue, 19/07/05 - 9:44 AM Permalink

We had an old Subaru in the paddock for thrashing, and one day a mate, who is really into Battlefield Vietnam, was going up to try and get the car started.. He opened the door and some stray cat jumped out of the thing, taking him by surprise... He jumped back quick, and his hands came up into his FPS WSAD + Mouse position with his left finger clicking!

One of the funniest/saddest things I've ever seen!

Submitted by popawheelie on Tue, 19/07/05 - 10:57 PM Permalink

I made a ctrl+z movement ( u know that flick of the wrist)whilst making a hot glass sculpture, burnt my fingers/hand on the hot steel rod holding the molten sculpture. Felt like a tard. Had to tell my assistants that it was an unvolentary movement cause by muscle stress, which was more believable. Thank god there where no CG people around.
Oh and sometimes i mutter "OWNED!" for lifes little achievements when combating social situation. eg. finding a great park, throwing paper in a bin from a distance. etc etc. try it, feels good.

pop

Submitted by palantir on Wed, 20/07/05 - 12:07 AM Permalink

Ah, funny stuff.
I tend to do it with games a lot as well. Do something stupid and the impulse is to hit Ctrl Z to undo that bullet wound, or holding down the wheel button to try and rotate an in-game model around like I would if it was in Max.
Er, no, sorry, that isn?t my model in Half-life 2, I can?t select show wires and convert to edit poly to start playing with the mesh.
But then I guess I probably shouldn?t play games at 2 in the morning after modelling all night..

It gets scary when you play a lot of Grand Turismo (or any driving game), and you start to act like your in-game when your actually driving a real car. Must remember that in real life the cars can take damage, and you can?t bounce off railings.

Submitted by Mdobele on Wed, 20/07/05 - 3:32 AM Permalink

I also tend to say "Powned" alot to non gaming friends and even my mother.

Submitted by souri on Wed, 20/07/05 - 3:36 AM Permalink

I fell asleep during Batman Begins last night. [:0]

Everything after the bit where you first see the batmobile is all a blur. [:X]

Submitted by Kane on Wed, 20/07/05 - 10:36 PM Permalink

I have been playing World of Warcraft WAY too much lately, and have this strange habit of jumping over shadows, cracks in the floor etc.

It really hit me how much I'd been playing when I was DRIVING home from Uni, and I got the urge to jump my CAR over tree shadows on the road. Scary stuff...[:X]

Submitted by Caroo on Thu, 21/07/05 - 1:50 AM Permalink

you want stupid... I"LL GIVE YOU STUPID.. When i work at coles me and a friend who works with me goes in to the party section when no one is looking. finding the winne the pooh masks and while whearing it screaming the TICK battlecry out "SPOON!!!!"

Submitted by Mdobele on Thu, 21/07/05 - 5:35 AM Permalink

heh heh I'm starting to look pretty darn smart standing next to you guys [8D]

Submitted by mcdrewski on Thu, 21/07/05 - 7:34 PM Permalink

You're not standing next to them - that's a pot plant Mick.

My "stupid" stories (or at least the ones I discuss in public) are typically computer based:

- Pulled apart a PC power supply to replace a fuse, then put it back together without a crucial bit of insulation. When I powered it up a firecracker went off (was a ceramic Cap blowing) and shut off power to the whole office.

- While uninstalling linux one day - deleted my whole windows partition and all my stored Uni projects instead of the old linux partition I'd carefully backed up to CD.

Submitted by rezn0r on Thu, 21/07/05 - 10:12 PM Permalink

Once when I was at a LAN we ran out of chairs, so I had to sit on an exercise bike while I played. It was a relic of an exercise bike and had sharp edges all over. I unwittingly popped the bike on top of my power cable and it cut through it... sparks jumped off the bike, the power went out, and all while I was peddling furiously having scared the shit out of myself!

That was pretty dumb (but apparently pretty funny to watch).

Scott.

Submitted by lorien on Sat, 23/07/05 - 12:34 AM Permalink

Don't worry Mcdrewski- deleting windows is good for the soul... Pity about your work though.

Posted by Mdobele on
Forum

I've been doing a bit of OT lately with crunch time and all but I didnt realise my brain was this fried.

I was testing a CD install and simply wanted to copy the CD key from the computer onto my paper notepad on my desk.... so what do I do. I highlight said CD key and then whilst staring at my notepad proceed to hit the CTRl-V key. Did this a couple of times before my brain decided to take a look at its surroundings and promptly vacate the room shaking its head in shame.

[xx(]

Submitted by WiffleCube on Fri, 15/07/05 - 7:42 AM Permalink

Recent Javachat conversation:

A: there's this freakish bug crawling across my monitor
A: it follows the mouse caret when I move it
B: cool take a screenshot
A: ok
A: no, wait..that's retarded

Submitted by Jason on Fri, 15/07/05 - 7:14 PM Permalink

I'm sure a lot of artists have done this before, but I was in a painting class and I made a bad stroke and my immediate reaction was to go for the "CTRL Z" command. [:X]

Submitted by LiveWire on Fri, 15/07/05 - 7:19 PM Permalink

hahahaha. love it.

i've never done anything that bad but usually when i'm sketching or writing and i make a mistake my mind thinks "ctrl z" for a moment before i in clearer mine i think "dang it! why can't fixing a mistake be as easy in real life as it is on a pc?"

Submitted by Major Clod on Fri, 15/07/05 - 8:21 PM Permalink

I sometimes accidently say stuff like Delete instead of Remove in real life.

Working in the garden... "Hey, lets delete those plants."

Submitted by rezn0r on Fri, 15/07/05 - 11:01 PM Permalink

Mik is great fun to watch in action. I'm pretty sure he doesn't know what day it is right now. [:P]

My favourite stupid thing Mik has done lately would have to be when he got one of those emails with pictures of dogs wearing sunglasses at about the time he got a businessy email. He replied to everyone on the biz mail list saying "awww cuuute puppies!".

As for me, when I'm exhausted I sometimes talk at length without using real words. [:P]

Scott.

Submitted by Mick1460 on Sat, 16/07/05 - 1:37 AM Permalink

ill be out somewhere and someone will say something funny and I have to stop myself from saying 'LOL'

Submitted by MoonUnit on Mon, 18/07/05 - 10:09 AM Permalink

Watching rage in the early hours of the morning i kept having the impulse that i needed to knock the mouse before the screensaver kicked in. I blame it on watching music DVDs, downloaded videos and such on my computer. The worse part is i would be like "oh heh its the TV, how silly of me..." and then 5 minutes later id have the same impulse again.

Submitted by lorien on Mon, 18/07/05 - 10:37 PM Permalink

The real worry is when, in a state of half asleep daze with a partner trying to seduce you, you start getting confused between what you do when using a computer, and what you do when having sex...

I've been guilty once, many, many years ago [:(] I'd been working 4pm to 9am for several months.

Submitted by rezn0r on Mon, 18/07/05 - 11:07 PM Permalink

OHHH DEAR lorien!

That's pretty weird... but not as weird as screaming "STEVE BALMER!!! WOOO" in their face (which I don't recommend!).

Scott.

Submitted by souri on Mon, 18/07/05 - 11:36 PM Permalink

Submitted by Caroo on Tue, 19/07/05 - 6:14 AM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by Souri

ok souri where you there for the early friday sessions? if so remember.. If you buy a PSP your confroming to commusiem.

Submitted by Major Clod on Tue, 19/07/05 - 9:44 AM Permalink

We had an old Subaru in the paddock for thrashing, and one day a mate, who is really into Battlefield Vietnam, was going up to try and get the car started.. He opened the door and some stray cat jumped out of the thing, taking him by surprise... He jumped back quick, and his hands came up into his FPS WSAD + Mouse position with his left finger clicking!

One of the funniest/saddest things I've ever seen!

Submitted by popawheelie on Tue, 19/07/05 - 10:57 PM Permalink

I made a ctrl+z movement ( u know that flick of the wrist)whilst making a hot glass sculpture, burnt my fingers/hand on the hot steel rod holding the molten sculpture. Felt like a tard. Had to tell my assistants that it was an unvolentary movement cause by muscle stress, which was more believable. Thank god there where no CG people around.
Oh and sometimes i mutter "OWNED!" for lifes little achievements when combating social situation. eg. finding a great park, throwing paper in a bin from a distance. etc etc. try it, feels good.

pop

Submitted by palantir on Wed, 20/07/05 - 12:07 AM Permalink

Ah, funny stuff.
I tend to do it with games a lot as well. Do something stupid and the impulse is to hit Ctrl Z to undo that bullet wound, or holding down the wheel button to try and rotate an in-game model around like I would if it was in Max.
Er, no, sorry, that isn?t my model in Half-life 2, I can?t select show wires and convert to edit poly to start playing with the mesh.
But then I guess I probably shouldn?t play games at 2 in the morning after modelling all night..

It gets scary when you play a lot of Grand Turismo (or any driving game), and you start to act like your in-game when your actually driving a real car. Must remember that in real life the cars can take damage, and you can?t bounce off railings.

Submitted by Mdobele on Wed, 20/07/05 - 3:32 AM Permalink

I also tend to say "Powned" alot to non gaming friends and even my mother.

Submitted by souri on Wed, 20/07/05 - 3:36 AM Permalink

I fell asleep during Batman Begins last night. [:0]

Everything after the bit where you first see the batmobile is all a blur. [:X]

Submitted by Kane on Wed, 20/07/05 - 10:36 PM Permalink

I have been playing World of Warcraft WAY too much lately, and have this strange habit of jumping over shadows, cracks in the floor etc.

It really hit me how much I'd been playing when I was DRIVING home from Uni, and I got the urge to jump my CAR over tree shadows on the road. Scary stuff...[:X]

Submitted by Caroo on Thu, 21/07/05 - 1:50 AM Permalink

you want stupid... I"LL GIVE YOU STUPID.. When i work at coles me and a friend who works with me goes in to the party section when no one is looking. finding the winne the pooh masks and while whearing it screaming the TICK battlecry out "SPOON!!!!"

Submitted by Mdobele on Thu, 21/07/05 - 5:35 AM Permalink

heh heh I'm starting to look pretty darn smart standing next to you guys [8D]

Submitted by mcdrewski on Thu, 21/07/05 - 7:34 PM Permalink

You're not standing next to them - that's a pot plant Mick.

My "stupid" stories (or at least the ones I discuss in public) are typically computer based:

- Pulled apart a PC power supply to replace a fuse, then put it back together without a crucial bit of insulation. When I powered it up a firecracker went off (was a ceramic Cap blowing) and shut off power to the whole office.

- While uninstalling linux one day - deleted my whole windows partition and all my stored Uni projects instead of the old linux partition I'd carefully backed up to CD.

Submitted by rezn0r on Thu, 21/07/05 - 10:12 PM Permalink

Once when I was at a LAN we ran out of chairs, so I had to sit on an exercise bike while I played. It was a relic of an exercise bike and had sharp edges all over. I unwittingly popped the bike on top of my power cable and it cut through it... sparks jumped off the bike, the power went out, and all while I was peddling furiously having scared the shit out of myself!

That was pretty dumb (but apparently pretty funny to watch).

Scott.

Submitted by lorien on Sat, 23/07/05 - 12:34 AM Permalink

Don't worry Mcdrewski- deleting windows is good for the soul... Pity about your work though.