Skip to main content

Motion Scanning

Submitted by zammo on

Are there any people out there that know about motion scanning and how it works. This is an integral element of game development these days and i need some questions answered.
Thank you in advance.

Submitted by Kalescent on Thu, 15/07/04 - 10:41 PM Permalink

Hi Zammo [:D]

Not sure whether your talking about,

Progressive motion scanning ( used to capture double the frames of normal picture - to remove motion artifacts on screen etc )

or

3d Scanning ( scanning face and body to help with modelling / texturing 3d models )

or

Motion Capture ( Retrieving motion data from actors / stuntspeople for animation use etc )

Submitted by zammo on Sat, 24/07/04 - 3:03 AM Permalink

Thanks for your reply.
I would have to say Motion Capture is the one that i am looking at here.
Do most gaming companies use an outside source for their motion capture projects as i understand that the cost involved is quite considerable or would they invest in the equipment?

Submitted by Kalescent on Sat, 24/07/04 - 3:49 AM Permalink

The cost of a motion capture suite varies considerably, from approx $20k up to something like the gypsy4 (for basic suites) which is approx $80k US dollars.

My advice would be to write a cost benefit analysis comparing the cost of a Mo-Cap Suite + someone to operate the equipment Vs the price of outsourcing.

Hope that helps [:D]

Posted by zammo on

Are there any people out there that know about motion scanning and how it works. This is an integral element of game development these days and i need some questions answered.
Thank you in advance.

Submitted by Kalescent on Thu, 15/07/04 - 10:41 PM Permalink

Hi Zammo [:D]

Not sure whether your talking about,

Progressive motion scanning ( used to capture double the frames of normal picture - to remove motion artifacts on screen etc )

or

3d Scanning ( scanning face and body to help with modelling / texturing 3d models )

or

Motion Capture ( Retrieving motion data from actors / stuntspeople for animation use etc )

Submitted by zammo on Sat, 24/07/04 - 3:03 AM Permalink

Thanks for your reply.
I would have to say Motion Capture is the one that i am looking at here.
Do most gaming companies use an outside source for their motion capture projects as i understand that the cost involved is quite considerable or would they invest in the equipment?

Submitted by Kalescent on Sat, 24/07/04 - 3:49 AM Permalink

The cost of a motion capture suite varies considerably, from approx $20k up to something like the gypsy4 (for basic suites) which is approx $80k US dollars.

My advice would be to write a cost benefit analysis comparing the cost of a Mo-Cap Suite + someone to operate the equipment Vs the price of outsourcing.

Hope that helps [:D]