Skip to main content

Best game for modding

Submitted by bullet21 on
Forum

I've been looking to purchase a game which i can create art assets and so on for. Which is the best game for this. I've heard lots about UT2K4, but is this the only one out there. I only have a 20 gig hard drive and only about 12 gig left, Doesn't UT2K4 eat up heaps of space.

Submitted by Discmage on Thu, 15/07/04 - 7:11 PM Permalink

It certainly does...but find me a latest game that doesn't. Farcry, UT2004 etc. All take up tons of space, and it's only going to get worse.

UT2004 has 5 install discs I believe.

Submitted by MoonUnit on Thu, 15/07/04 - 8:27 PM Permalink

or one DVD, it equals about 5 gig of space or something once its on your HD. Personally ive also modded vice city but that was only texture editing, i dont know how to change models (but im pretty sure it can be done).

Submitted by Daemin on Thu, 15/07/04 - 10:40 PM Permalink

All modern game modding will require a lot of hard drive space, UT2k4 Install is 5 gig, and modding it would consume only more.

If you want to mod something try the original Unreal Tournament, or perhaps even Quake 3? They require about half a gig of space and you cna use the rest for other peoples mods, and the programs required.

Submitted by Me109 on Thu, 15/07/04 - 11:25 PM Permalink

yeah I'm looking into using the ut2004 engine for just what you suggest...
it's reallllly simple to get static meshes in and out of it and create level content.. havent looked at the karma side of things yet...
there are also special tools available on the UDN network to create installs for you mods etc..
I'm looking at ways of reducing the install size of ut2004 tooo.. like checking out if mods can run under the demo UT2004.. which is about 180 megs or something....

cool thing as well about using ut.. is that the developer is working backward compatibility into future releases.. so theorically you can reuse any assets you develop

Submitted by Blitz on Thu, 15/07/04 - 11:56 PM Permalink

You shouldn't be able to run any mods on the demo version.
Legally, i am guessing you can't, because it would require some modification of the executable (reverse engineering).
However, it's possibly someone has done this, if you can find it :)
CYer, Blitz

Submitted by bullet21 on Fri, 16/07/04 - 5:57 PM Permalink

Isn't UT2K4 6 Cd's to install, that's why my mate reckons, and also what's a static mesh.

I think i'll have to purchase a new hard drive any way, 20 is not enough these days and you can get an 80 gig for about 150, so i probably will get that first and then get unreal 2004.

Submitted by Me109 on Fri, 16/07/04 - 7:35 PM Permalink

yeah 6 cd's.. or a dvd.. I ended up making a dvd install out of the 6 cd's

A static mesh is any mesh that isnt animated, usually static meshes are used to flesh out or populate a bsp brush or level

They can have collision, cast shadows.. etc.. pretty much do anything you want
using static meshes allows you to achieve high poly counts in ut2004

Submitted by MoonUnit on Fri, 16/07/04 - 10:01 PM Permalink

in lamens terms, a static mesh is an object inside the level (i know there are execptions with actors and the like but thats the simplest explanation). Modelled in a 3d program and imported into unrealED

Submitted by souri on Sat, 17/07/04 - 12:37 AM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by bullet21

I think i'll have to purchase a new hard drive any way, 20 is not enough these days and you can get an 80 gig for about 150, so i probably will get that first and then get unreal 2004.

I got a 160 gig HD for just over $150... make sure you look around!

Submitted by bullet21 on Mon, 19/07/04 - 4:32 AM Permalink

I just bought UT2K4 today, it was 80 bucks EB, it's 6 Cds and almost 21 minutes worth of installation, Awesome Fun though, i see why Moony is so hyped about it and is addicted. Can you guys point me to a good place to teach me all about creating assets and importing it to the games. I can model the content, but need to know how to export and rig it so it will work properly. THanx.

Submitted by bullet21 on Tue, 20/07/04 - 3:35 AM Permalink

lo;, how could i forget that, thanx moony :D

Posted by bullet21 on
Forum

I've been looking to purchase a game which i can create art assets and so on for. Which is the best game for this. I've heard lots about UT2K4, but is this the only one out there. I only have a 20 gig hard drive and only about 12 gig left, Doesn't UT2K4 eat up heaps of space.

Submitted by Discmage on Thu, 15/07/04 - 7:11 PM Permalink

It certainly does...but find me a latest game that doesn't. Farcry, UT2004 etc. All take up tons of space, and it's only going to get worse.

UT2004 has 5 install discs I believe.

Submitted by MoonUnit on Thu, 15/07/04 - 8:27 PM Permalink

or one DVD, it equals about 5 gig of space or something once its on your HD. Personally ive also modded vice city but that was only texture editing, i dont know how to change models (but im pretty sure it can be done).

Submitted by Daemin on Thu, 15/07/04 - 10:40 PM Permalink

All modern game modding will require a lot of hard drive space, UT2k4 Install is 5 gig, and modding it would consume only more.

If you want to mod something try the original Unreal Tournament, or perhaps even Quake 3? They require about half a gig of space and you cna use the rest for other peoples mods, and the programs required.

Submitted by Me109 on Thu, 15/07/04 - 11:25 PM Permalink

yeah I'm looking into using the ut2004 engine for just what you suggest...
it's reallllly simple to get static meshes in and out of it and create level content.. havent looked at the karma side of things yet...
there are also special tools available on the UDN network to create installs for you mods etc..
I'm looking at ways of reducing the install size of ut2004 tooo.. like checking out if mods can run under the demo UT2004.. which is about 180 megs or something....

cool thing as well about using ut.. is that the developer is working backward compatibility into future releases.. so theorically you can reuse any assets you develop

Submitted by Blitz on Thu, 15/07/04 - 11:56 PM Permalink

You shouldn't be able to run any mods on the demo version.
Legally, i am guessing you can't, because it would require some modification of the executable (reverse engineering).
However, it's possibly someone has done this, if you can find it :)
CYer, Blitz

Submitted by bullet21 on Fri, 16/07/04 - 5:57 PM Permalink

Isn't UT2K4 6 Cd's to install, that's why my mate reckons, and also what's a static mesh.

Submitted by Me109 on Fri, 16/07/04 - 7:35 PM Permalink

yeah 6 cd's.. or a dvd.. I ended up making a dvd install out of the 6 cd's

A static mesh is any mesh that isnt animated, usually static meshes are used to flesh out or populate a bsp brush or level

They can have collision, cast shadows.. etc.. pretty much do anything you want
using static meshes allows you to achieve high poly counts in ut2004

Submitted by MoonUnit on Fri, 16/07/04 - 10:01 PM Permalink

in lamens terms, a static mesh is an object inside the level (i know there are execptions with actors and the like but thats the simplest explanation). Modelled in a 3d program and imported into unrealED

Submitted by souri on Sat, 17/07/04 - 12:37 AM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by bullet21

I got a 160 gig HD for just over $150... make sure you look around!

Submitted by bullet21 on Mon, 19/07/04 - 4:32 AM Permalink

I just bought UT2K4 today, it was 80 bucks EB, it's 6 Cds and almost 21 minutes worth of installation, Awesome Fun though, i see why Moony is so hyped about it and is addicted. Can you guys point me to a good place to teach me all about creating assets and importing it to the games. I can model the content, but need to know how to export and rig it so it will work properly. THanx.

Submitted by bullet21 on Tue, 20/07/04 - 3:35 AM Permalink

lo;, how could i forget that, thanx moony :D