Skip to main content

Guild Wars

Submitted by Daemin on
Forum

Just picked up a copy of Guild Wars ($70, free online play, who could resist?) on the weekend, and it's a pretty cool game. Much more fun with people you know, chatting over skype etc than single player.

So just wondering who here also plays it, or at least is interested in playing it?

Submitted by AntsZ on Wed, 15/06/05 - 8:58 PM Permalink

i really want to play it, but need a decent computer to play it :(

Submitted by Anuxinamoon on Wed, 15/06/05 - 9:29 PM Permalink

I play it and so does Troy (on occasions after work)
My character is lvl 20 :D PVP is awesome and I really like the game
it does get a bit repetitive after a while if you just go exploring for hours on end trying to find that elusive skill trainer. (like I do)
Kind of reminds me of NWN...

Submitted by palantir on Thu, 16/06/05 - 1:29 AM Permalink

I absolutely love Guild Wars ATM. Totally obsessed. I?ve got a lvl 20 Ranger/Monk and just started a Mesmer/Elementalist which is lvl 12. The games certainly great value for money ? I?ve played around 120 hours total so far, still have much more to do, and all for $70!

Anux is right though, it does get repetitive towards the higher lvl?s when you?ve been everywhere, and just spend your time looking for the elite skills or best armour/weapons. Though there is always the Underworld to take on. Anyone done that? By far the toughest part of the game. Constant level 28 mobs of undead ? but the drops are incredible.

Without a doubt the best thing about GW is the social factor. Being in a good guild or a good group is paramount to having a good time in-game.

Unfortunately my small guild is falling apart, which is making the game pretty depressing to play ? always on my own looking for other players. So I?m looking for a good guild to join, preferable an Aussie one so there are others online the same time as me.

And I?m already looking forward to the expansion packs!

BTW, if anyone want?s to team up for some questing sometime, give me a whisper in-game (or PM me here). My current characters names are: Nici Acebridge, and Loth Lil Lidian.

Submitted by AntsZ on Thu, 16/06/05 - 2:47 AM Permalink

try start up a Sumea guild there seems to be a few here who are playing, if I had it I would, I really want to play GW but without a decent computer there goes that idea

Submitted by palantir on Thu, 16/06/05 - 8:31 AM Permalink

Guild Wars, while having high-res options, doesn?t demand high power like EQ2 or most other current gen games do.

Minimum requirements to run Guild Wars: Pentium 3 - 800 Mhz or equivalent, 256 MB RAM, Radeon 8500 or GeForce 3 or 4 MX with 32 MB VRAM, CD-ROM, 2GB HD space, sound card, internet connection, keyboard, mouse.

These days you could just about get that for less then the game itself costs. [:)]

I suppose the low specs and the free online play are the main reasons it's doing so well?

Submitted by Daemin on Thu, 16/06/05 - 8:29 PM Permalink

Well I play with a friend of mine, it was alright until we got to the "second level" of the game, and now we need 2 more people to play with :-)

I was thinking of starting my own guild, but I guess if you found the right Australian guild I'd be tempted to join.

So far I've only got a level 10 Warrior/Mesmer, and started about a level 5 Elementalist/Monk, I've only really played it for a few days so far.

Submitted by Kalescent on Thu, 16/06/05 - 11:31 PM Permalink

Daemin - HOoooooo just you wait until you get a wee bit further on [:D]

Kalescent Studios has a guild - with a whopping 4 members, Warrior / Necro Lvl 20 , Elementalist / Ranger lvl 20 , Necro / Mesmer lvl 18 and a Monk / Elementalist lvl 11 ) and nearly got a guild hall [:)]

Submitted by souri on Thu, 16/06/05 - 11:47 PM Permalink

I was this close --> <-- to purchasing Guild Wars, but I've just ordered Battlefield 2. I think a game like Guild Wars would be bad for me. [:(]

Submitted by Daemin on Fri, 17/06/05 - 12:21 AM Permalink

HazarD: Just wondering, can you unjoin a guild, or is joining a guild permanent? It would be interesting trying it out with you guys. How about a game sometime this weekend then?

Submitted by Kalescent on Fri, 17/06/05 - 1:43 AM Permalink

Daemin: The guild leader can boot people if they want to be booted. Im not sure if you can unjoin yourself though ??? re the game this weekend - sure thing although not sunday because we will be out at the IGDA, pm me with your character name and I'll add you to our friends list and meet up with you online [:D]

Submitted by Anuxinamoon on Fri, 17/06/05 - 1:43 AM Permalink

quote:I think a game like Guild Wars would be bad for me

Games are never bad Souri! Especially Guild Wars![:D] If you buy the game you will have so much fun!

*chants* Buy the game! Buy the game! [}:)]

Cool! Make sure your in the 2nd part of the game though, we cant team up with you if your in pre-searing ascalon.
I cant wait to do all those 1st quests again. I might use my 2nd character on those missions. Shes a mesmer / Elementalist lvl8
If I use my lvl 20 elementalist/ ranger she will be doing those 400 point hits, no fun!

Submitted by palantir on Fri, 17/06/05 - 4:33 AM Permalink

I?ve had my eye on [url="http://www.anzgw.com/"]The Australian New Zealand Guild Wars Community[/url]. Looks like a pretty cool local guild. It's sort of a shame you can't join more then one guild at once, though I suppose it makes sense.

Yeah, we should have a Sumea Guild Wars meet up sometime. [:D]

Souri ? oh man, your missing some great RPGing! Even though it?s addictive (like all good games should be), it?s true that it?s possible to play in small doses and still have fun. It?s just that the more you play, the better it gets?

Submitted by Daemin on Fri, 17/06/05 - 8:21 PM Permalink

I now play it after work and before bed for a few hours each night, a quest or two, sometimes none. It's all good :-)

And yeah, I'll message you HazarD with the details.

Posted by Daemin on
Forum

Just picked up a copy of Guild Wars ($70, free online play, who could resist?) on the weekend, and it's a pretty cool game. Much more fun with people you know, chatting over skype etc than single player.

So just wondering who here also plays it, or at least is interested in playing it?

Submitted by AntsZ on Wed, 15/06/05 - 8:58 PM Permalink

i really want to play it, but need a decent computer to play it :(

Submitted by Anuxinamoon on Wed, 15/06/05 - 9:29 PM Permalink

I play it and so does Troy (on occasions after work)
My character is lvl 20 :D PVP is awesome and I really like the game
it does get a bit repetitive after a while if you just go exploring for hours on end trying to find that elusive skill trainer. (like I do)
Kind of reminds me of NWN...

Submitted by palantir on Thu, 16/06/05 - 1:29 AM Permalink

I absolutely love Guild Wars ATM. Totally obsessed. I?ve got a lvl 20 Ranger/Monk and just started a Mesmer/Elementalist which is lvl 12. The games certainly great value for money ? I?ve played around 120 hours total so far, still have much more to do, and all for $70!

Anux is right though, it does get repetitive towards the higher lvl?s when you?ve been everywhere, and just spend your time looking for the elite skills or best armour/weapons. Though there is always the Underworld to take on. Anyone done that? By far the toughest part of the game. Constant level 28 mobs of undead ? but the drops are incredible.

Without a doubt the best thing about GW is the social factor. Being in a good guild or a good group is paramount to having a good time in-game.

Unfortunately my small guild is falling apart, which is making the game pretty depressing to play ? always on my own looking for other players. So I?m looking for a good guild to join, preferable an Aussie one so there are others online the same time as me.

And I?m already looking forward to the expansion packs!

BTW, if anyone want?s to team up for some questing sometime, give me a whisper in-game (or PM me here). My current characters names are: Nici Acebridge, and Loth Lil Lidian.

Submitted by AntsZ on Thu, 16/06/05 - 2:47 AM Permalink

try start up a Sumea guild there seems to be a few here who are playing, if I had it I would, I really want to play GW but without a decent computer there goes that idea

Submitted by palantir on Thu, 16/06/05 - 8:31 AM Permalink

Guild Wars, while having high-res options, doesn?t demand high power like EQ2 or most other current gen games do.

Minimum requirements to run Guild Wars: Pentium 3 - 800 Mhz or equivalent, 256 MB RAM, Radeon 8500 or GeForce 3 or 4 MX with 32 MB VRAM, CD-ROM, 2GB HD space, sound card, internet connection, keyboard, mouse.

These days you could just about get that for less then the game itself costs. [:)]

I suppose the low specs and the free online play are the main reasons it's doing so well?

Submitted by Daemin on Thu, 16/06/05 - 8:29 PM Permalink

Well I play with a friend of mine, it was alright until we got to the "second level" of the game, and now we need 2 more people to play with :-)

I was thinking of starting my own guild, but I guess if you found the right Australian guild I'd be tempted to join.

So far I've only got a level 10 Warrior/Mesmer, and started about a level 5 Elementalist/Monk, I've only really played it for a few days so far.

Submitted by Kalescent on Thu, 16/06/05 - 11:31 PM Permalink

Daemin - HOoooooo just you wait until you get a wee bit further on [:D]

Kalescent Studios has a guild - with a whopping 4 members, Warrior / Necro Lvl 20 , Elementalist / Ranger lvl 20 , Necro / Mesmer lvl 18 and a Monk / Elementalist lvl 11 ) and nearly got a guild hall [:)]

Submitted by souri on Thu, 16/06/05 - 11:47 PM Permalink

I was this close --> <-- to purchasing Guild Wars, but I've just ordered Battlefield 2. I think a game like Guild Wars would be bad for me. [:(]

Submitted by Daemin on Fri, 17/06/05 - 12:21 AM Permalink

HazarD: Just wondering, can you unjoin a guild, or is joining a guild permanent? It would be interesting trying it out with you guys. How about a game sometime this weekend then?

Submitted by Kalescent on Fri, 17/06/05 - 1:43 AM Permalink

Daemin: The guild leader can boot people if they want to be booted. Im not sure if you can unjoin yourself though ??? re the game this weekend - sure thing although not sunday because we will be out at the IGDA, pm me with your character name and I'll add you to our friends list and meet up with you online [:D]

Submitted by Anuxinamoon on Fri, 17/06/05 - 1:43 AM Permalink

quote:I think a game like Guild Wars would be bad for me

Games are never bad Souri! Especially Guild Wars![:D] If you buy the game you will have so much fun!

*chants* Buy the game! Buy the game! [}:)]

Cool! Make sure your in the 2nd part of the game though, we cant team up with you if your in pre-searing ascalon.
I cant wait to do all those 1st quests again. I might use my 2nd character on those missions. Shes a mesmer / Elementalist lvl8
If I use my lvl 20 elementalist/ ranger she will be doing those 400 point hits, no fun!

Submitted by palantir on Fri, 17/06/05 - 4:33 AM Permalink

I?ve had my eye on [url="http://www.anzgw.com/"]The Australian New Zealand Guild Wars Community[/url]. Looks like a pretty cool local guild. It's sort of a shame you can't join more then one guild at once, though I suppose it makes sense.

Yeah, we should have a Sumea Guild Wars meet up sometime. [:D]

Souri ? oh man, your missing some great RPGing! Even though it?s addictive (like all good games should be), it?s true that it?s possible to play in small doses and still have fun. It?s just that the more you play, the better it gets?

Submitted by Daemin on Fri, 17/06/05 - 8:21 PM Permalink

I now play it after work and before bed for a few hours each night, a quest or two, sometimes none. It's all good :-)

And yeah, I'll message you HazarD with the details.