Skip to main content

poor Gamecube sales

• In my first and previous post in this game dev log entry, I had written that I wanted to do a game which was a collection of simple retro games. Unity released a new major release (2019.3) while I was putting the initial project together, and I…

• Well, I'm making a game . I'm spending the next few weeks on making a small game to showcase the gamedev log feature on tsumea where any member can create a game entry and other members can post journal posts with art, music or just development…

• Just a test #2. Still working on the new section.

• So, I got a Commodore 64 when I was in the 4th grade. It came bundled with a Rolf Harris picture building program on casette tape which never loaded properly but from what I could tell by its box cover, you could build pictures from a selection…

• Yes, the site looks very different and I've had to prematurely switch to this new theme that I'm working on for a few reasons, the main one is that changing certain aspects of the site to fit the new theme will affect how the old one looks for…

• (this is just a test, please ignore this entry)

Here is some of my old work.. the first pic is of a 3d model of a human head I was working on about 2 years ago in 3dsmax, using nurbs. If I had to do it again, I wouldn't model a head with…

I currently work for

Submitted by souri on
Forum

So why do you think the Gamecube is doing so badly in Australia?

Submitted by inglis on Wed, 15/01/03 - 1:42 AM Permalink

because i haven't bought a console since the nintendo64. :)

is there an article on poor sales in australia?

Submitted by Gaffer on Wed, 15/01/03 - 2:18 AM Permalink

gamecube rocks, its the only console i currently have, apart from my n64 that is...

Glenn "Gaffer" Fiedler | Senior Programmer | Irrational Games

Submitted by inglis on Wed, 15/01/03 - 2:30 AM Permalink

are there many great games on the gamecube?

Submitted by Blitz on Wed, 15/01/03 - 2:41 AM Permalink

1) They hardly advertise it at all.
2) It's the most difficult (pretty much impossible) console to pirate games for.
3) It's not very appealing to over 18's which i've read recently is about 70% of the market.
4) It doesn't have the range of games that PS2 and even XBox now have (not from what i've seen at least)
Thats some of my guesses.
CYer, Blitz

Submitted by inglis on Wed, 15/01/03 - 2:46 AM Permalink

xbox is the only console i have seen advertising for.
plus im not aware of any great games on the gamecube.
and i would imagine i would be in their main target market.....

so i would imagine 1) and 4) would without doubt be the main reasons for it poor sales.

Submitted by Gaffer on Wed, 15/01/03 - 3:39 AM Permalink

PIKMIN!@#!#!

Submitted by inglis on Wed, 15/01/03 - 3:52 AM Permalink

hmmm..im not a fan.

i gave up any interest in 'kiddy' games with donkey kong 64. when i got all the way through the game, up to the point where you have to complete the old donkeykong from like 1989 to get through the last door to fight the final boss.
i completed the old game once..(after a million attempts) and was like 'wahoO!! i did it...now i can finally finish this game'....then it says 'good work, that was a practice go, now do it again'.
, i beat every boss in that game the first attempt and couldn't finish the 1980's version of donkey kong within the game, now it sits uncompleted collecting dust.

anyway- thats really off topic. :)

Submitted by Gaffer on Wed, 15/01/03 - 4:26 AM Permalink

i'm 25 and i still enjoy kiddy games i guess, monkey ball is great, mario i find a bit kiddy and annoying yes - but pikmin is not kiddy, its just beatiful, the new zelda wont be kiddy, nor metroid prime

actually, i kinda dislike kiddie games too - but some games are so good, it doesnt really matter imo.

besides, we make PC games at work, i dont play PC games... i like something a bit different for play i guess :)

Submitted by inglis on Wed, 15/01/03 - 4:33 AM Permalink

i still kick up the old n64 now and again and have a game of mario kart [:)] so i dont dislike them all [:)] ...

...they're good fun in moderation

Submitted by souri on Wed, 15/01/03 - 9:23 AM Permalink

I think Zelda looks nice, Resident Evil 0 looks awesome, and Mario Sunshine looks interesting.. so there's a few games there I'd like to buy if I had a gamecube. But you're right, I've hardly seen much Nintendo advertising anywhere (other than the Pikmon ad on TV). PS2 ads are everywhere.. Go and see Two Towers and there's an ad for the PS2..

Submitted by Brain on Thu, 16/01/03 - 12:55 AM Permalink

I'll find it extremely hard to hold back when Metroid gets released in Aus, and highly likely Zelda aswell. I may be able to make a deal with Mum, seeing as she really wants to check out Zelda and Luigi's Mansion (no doubt Dad'll find a game he's intrigued in, though Bejeweled currently has his addicition @:-D

I'd hate to see Gamecube go the way of the Dreamcast (granted, a dead console's stuff is much cheaper to buy. Damn ebay...)

Chris Bowden
http://brain.gamekey.com/

Submitted by Fluffy CatFood on Thu, 16/01/03 - 2:15 AM Permalink

I've got a gamecube and I love it, I'm glad there going for a more mature market now with all of the resident evil titles coming out (anyone seen the movie for resident evil 4? It looks awesome)plus eternal darkness(which is out) Killer7 etc etc
One misconception with nintendo is that just because it has kiddie looking graphics the games must be shit. thats not true at all. every zelda game is awesome to play, mario is great, super smash brothers as well.
Its a lack of advertising thats slumping there sales. They need to advertise and not just games that came out when it was first released, show off some of the up and coming titles as well.

"when it comes to angry killing machines, nothing beats the Lord Jesus!"

Submitted by bouncy roo on Thu, 16/01/03 - 3:21 AM Permalink

i got an american gamecube so i rarely get many games cos of shipping but i'm waiting out for zelda[;)]my brother gave it to me after he decided he wanted an xbox [:p]

quote:Originally posted by Souri

I think Zelda looks nice, Resident Evil 0 looks awesome, and Mario Sunshine looks interesting.. so there's a few games there I'd like to buy if I had a gamecube. But you're right, I've hardly seen much Nintendo advertising anywhere (other than the Pikmon ad on TV). PS2 ads are everywhere.. Go and see Two Towers and there's an ad for the PS2..

//Without order nothing can exist - without chaos nothing can evolve. \(anon)

Submitted by souri on Thu, 16/01/03 - 11:10 PM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by inglis

http://australianit.news.com.au/articles/0,7204,5832779%5E15338%5E%5Enb…
"NINTENDO'S GameCube console was the "glaring underperformer" in Christmas sales, taking just 3 per cent of the games hardware market."

I remember when *everyone* had a Snes.. Those darn things were everywhere.

Submitted by AndyFitz on Sun, 19/01/03 - 2:00 PM Permalink

quote:my brother gave it to me after he decided he wanted an xbox

That scenareo sounds alot like poetry..[8D]

Submitted by Meatex Salami on Fri, 24/01/03 - 3:37 AM Permalink

I am a BIG-N fan so forgive me if i get a bit passionate
i just quickly read up the previous posts and ppl seem to be saying there are no great games on the cube.
I'm sorry but have you had you head up you arse since it's release (a bit much)
There are more great games on the cube than on ps2 or xbox
Eternal Darkness
Metroid Prime
the 2 RE games
Time splitters 2
Splinter Cell is coming to cube
as well as FF crystal chronicals
those are just off the top of my head
sure there are good games on the other console (MGS 2, FFX, i have heard devil may cry is good, and i want to play GUNVALKIRE)
although the reason why cube is failing everywhere is because its not cool to have one. simple as that. I know people who have a ps2 for 6 months and haven't played a single game.
The cube has the best controller and the most top quality games in my opinion and i am VERY picky about what games i declare as good
the ps2 controller is pathetic and uncumfortable and the xbox is fine except the buttons are too small and too far from the control stick so it's hard to hit the button you want in a hurry and get you thumb back on the control stick (although you could probably get used to it) i would like to get all consoles cause they all have games i want i just think waying up all the details of the consoles the cube is number 1 (and i am not talking about specs, the xbox wins in that dept)
but like i said the cube just isn't cool, it doesn't have the hip factor.

It is infact ants who are the true rulers of this world!!!

Submitted by Meatex Salami on Fri, 24/01/03 - 3:44 AM Permalink

also what is with the ps2 ads
do they think that by totally weirding people out that they will buy a ps2.
Obviously they know something i don't cause it's working
although i reckon the ads are meaningless (they could probably do a black screen with the ps2 logo and a guy saying woozle-wozzle and they would still shift tones of units)
Although now that i think of it they are quite effective.
but i mean they are just too fudgeing weird

Submitted by Blitz on Fri, 24/01/03 - 4:17 AM Permalink

Time splitters 2 and splinter cell are already on xbox (and splinter cell will probably hit PC before cube) so it's not worth putting them on your list.
I don't think owning a cube has anything to do with coolness factor, although i've never really been one to follow trends. It's almost certainly to do with the lack of games and support for cube in australia.
Personally i like the xbox controller, fits my hand nicely, i find the cube controller too small and constricted. Agreed that the official ps2 controller bites.
I'll be very interested to see how the cube port of splinter cell goes...see wether they have to drop a lot of features etc.
Oh and btw, gun valkyrie isn't that great...
CYer, Blitz

Submitted by Gaffer on Fri, 24/01/03 - 8:48 AM Permalink

i agree, that ps2 ad before lord of the rings is fucked up shit...

i dont even understand it "the third place"

?! =p

Submitted by Blitz on Fri, 24/01/03 - 10:12 AM Permalink

Maybe they put a bit of forethought in and realised that once gamecube and xbox hit the market the PS2 would be the third best console? :P
CYer, Blitz

Submitted by Meatex Salami on Fri, 24/01/03 - 7:31 PM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by Blitz

Maybe they put a bit of forethought in and realised that once gamecube and xbox hit the market the PS2 would be the third best console? :P

lol
well it's true
and timesplitters 2 is and has been out for a while on the cube
people don't want to buy a cube because it's still seen as a kiddy console.

Submitted by GooberMan on Fri, 24/01/03 - 8:49 PM Permalink

I find the XBox controller too big (the Japanese controllers are better), the Gamecube controller feels like I'll break it if I push it the wrong way, and the way I hold a PS controller means I have to fight to get the L/R buttons that I want (I only have one finger from each hand resting along that row, having two there feels weird).

I'd get a gamecube just for the new RE games.

Ethan Watson, teh brand spankin' new Krome employee.

Submitted by Gaffer on Fri, 24/01/03 - 10:07 PM Permalink

i luuurve the gamecube controller :)

Submitted by souri on Sat, 25/01/03 - 2:06 AM Permalink

I've always found the Playstation controllers the best.. It fits perfectly in my hands, and it still looks pretty cool. And yeh, the L and R buttons aren't as easy to access though, but it's not too bad.. The old Xbox controllers were too ugly.
I think Nintendo's choice to get in early for the next gen consoles will be an interesting one.. Get in too early, and they might be in the position of the Sega Dreamcast.. Get in too late, and it's a tough up hill battle. It's all about who can hype their console the best in the end. Dreamcast died off purely because Sony hyped their PS2..
Those PS2 ads might not make a lot of sense, but Sony is at putting the brand out there..

Submitted by aki on Thu, 30/01/03 - 12:36 PM Permalink

I the Gamecube.

I think Nintendo produces the most playable and timeless games, that to me, defies the trends and fashions of adolescent 'coolness' that the PSXes and Xbox thrives/depends on. The 'kiddiness' aspects doesn't bother me at all, I think it makes them far more amazing that these games can be enjoyed almost universally by almost anyone or any age. I _would_ however like to see them not just concentrate on these ideas, and have them branch out to show that they can also do very 'current' and pop-cultural games (or perhaps 'american' games). It would help their marketshare outside of Japan immensely... and also sorta, beat the others at their own game sorta thing.

As for the controller... i think Nintendo has really been The pioneer in controller designs. Look back a bit through console history and its evident when you compare it with the other designs that were available at each specific time, and noting which elements got adopted for the next generation of consoles (by nintendo's competitors)

- the original Famicom gamepad (trying to think of the controllers of consoles before the Famicom from which the idea of right thumb=control cursors; left thumb - buttons .. but i cant think of any... the atari and pong machines had paddles/knobs and jet-fighter joysticks stuff yeah?). I think it came from Nintendo's Game&Watch handheld games. (and what before that?)

- SNES introduced the shoulder buttons (L and R) and the multi-coloured, diagonally laid out 4 button design when Sega had the 3 button idea... and we have seen how this layout has been imitated by everything now: Sony's Playstation, Sega's Saturn and Dreamcast, psx2, Xbox.

- N64 with its analog stick (in addition to and not replacing the direction pad) and more buttons, and a Z-under-controller button... (i believe the n64 analog stick came before Sony's analog stick addition to the PSX controller - correct me if im wrong), and again, these ideas were adopted by the dreamcast controller, xbox etc.

.. you get the idea. (read: i'm so lazy).

So why don't they sell? I think its mostly Nintendo's marketing and probably overly ideal philosophy on games. However, it almost seems like they don't mind... you have to remember that they have the Gameboy and their huge dominance in the portable gaming market. Let's not forget Pokemon. They have very well established sources of income and revenue, it almost seems like it lets them indulge in making what they want. And i like that... its like, they're not selling out on their philosophy of what a good game should be, and that's pretty damn cool to me.

Submitted by Sertan on Fri, 07/02/03 - 3:48 AM Permalink

I think the Cube is doing badly over here because of both Nintendo's marketing scheme and the public perception of Nintendo products as toys.

I wish it didn't go so badly. I'm a pretty big Nintendo fan, and coupling that with the Resident Evil series puts their new console in "must have" territory for me (if you haven't worked it out yet, I don't own a GC, but will be buying one at the end of this year... hey, I can wait).

Right now, I own a PS2, and I think the reason why hardcore gamers dislike it is because it appeals so much to the mainstream audience. And it is a quality console. It's got a lot of AAA titles such as the much lauded Grand Theft Auto III, Final Fantasy X, Devil May Cry, etc. So it's success is no surprise as a lot of old franchises are there and also a lot of new great ones.

Anyway, that's my rant. Slightly off the topic, but considering this is my first post, I wanted to make a good impression. [;)]

P.S. How do I put an avatar up?

Vivian: You go too far, Marlowe.
Marlowe: Those are some harsh words to say to a man, especially when he's walking out of your bedroom.

Submitted by souri on Fri, 07/02/03 - 9:35 PM Permalink

You can email me ya avatar at sumea@hotmail.com ... make sure you have something like *** AVATAR *** as the subject header, or else I'll miss it in the piles of spam I have there. [:)].. I'll put it up as soon as I get my internet connection happening again.. I have to ftp the avatar images up myself for the forum, and I don't think this computer has any ftp software. (I'm at an internet cafe atm)

Submitted by Sertan on Sat, 08/02/03 - 12:10 AM Permalink

Okay, thanks. I'll send the avatar pic by the end of the week.

Marlowe: Those are some harsh words to say to a man, especially when he's walking out of your bedroom.

Posted by souri on
Forum

So why do you think the Gamecube is doing so badly in Australia?

Submitted by inglis on Wed, 15/01/03 - 1:42 AM Permalink

Submitted by Gaffer on Wed, 15/01/03 - 2:18 AM Permalink

gamecube rocks, its the only console i currently have, apart from my n64 that is...

Submitted by inglis on Wed, 15/01/03 - 2:30 AM Permalink

are there many great games on the gamecube?

Submitted by Blitz on Wed, 15/01/03 - 2:41 AM Permalink

1) They hardly advertise it at all.
2) It's the most difficult (pretty much impossible) console to pirate games for.
3) It's not very appealing to over 18's which i've read recently is about 70% of the market.
4) It doesn't have the range of games that PS2 and even XBox now have (not from what i've seen at least)
Thats some of my guesses.
CYer, Blitz

Submitted by inglis on Wed, 15/01/03 - 2:46 AM Permalink

xbox is the only console i have seen advertising for.
plus im not aware of any great games on the gamecube.
and i would imagine i would be in their main target market.....

so i would imagine 1) and 4) would without doubt be the main reasons for it poor sales.

Submitted by Gaffer on Wed, 15/01/03 - 3:39 AM Permalink

PIKMIN!@#!#!

Submitted by inglis on Wed, 15/01/03 - 3:52 AM Permalink

hmmm..im not a fan.

i gave up any interest in 'kiddy' games with donkey kong 64. when i got all the way through the game, up to the point where you have to complete the old donkeykong from like 1989 to get through the last door to fight the final boss.
i completed the old game once..(after a million attempts) and was like 'wahoO!! i did it...now i can finally finish this game'....then it says 'good work, that was a practice go, now do it again'.
, i beat every boss in that game the first attempt and couldn't finish the 1980's version of donkey kong within the game, now it sits uncompleted collecting dust.

anyway- thats really off topic. :)

Submitted by Gaffer on Wed, 15/01/03 - 4:26 AM Permalink

i'm 25 and i still enjoy kiddy games i guess, monkey ball is great, mario i find a bit kiddy and annoying yes - but pikmin is not kiddy, its just beatiful, the new zelda wont be kiddy, nor metroid prime

actually, i kinda dislike kiddie games too - but some games are so good, it doesnt really matter imo.

besides, we make PC games at work, i dont play PC games... i like something a bit different for play i guess :)

Submitted by inglis on Wed, 15/01/03 - 4:33 AM Permalink

i still kick up the old n64 now and again and have a game of mario kart [:)] so i dont dislike them all [:)] ...

...they're good fun in moderation

Submitted by souri on Wed, 15/01/03 - 9:23 AM Permalink

Submitted by Brain on Thu, 16/01/03 - 12:55 AM Permalink

I'll find it extremely hard to hold back when Metroid gets released in Aus, and highly likely Zelda aswell. I may be able to make a deal with Mum, seeing as she really wants to check out Zelda and Luigi's Mansion (no doubt Dad'll find a game he's intrigued in, though Bejeweled currently has his addicition @:-D

I'd hate to see Gamecube go the way of the Dreamcast (granted, a dead console's stuff is much cheaper to buy. Damn ebay...)

Chris Bowden
http://brain.gamekey.com/

Submitted by Fluffy CatFood on Thu, 16/01/03 - 2:15 AM Permalink

I've got a gamecube and I love it, I'm glad there going for a more mature market now with all of the resident evil titles coming out (anyone seen the movie for resident evil 4? It looks awesome)plus eternal darkness(which is out) Killer7 etc etc
One misconception with nintendo is that just because it has kiddie looking graphics the games must be shit. thats not true at all. every zelda game is awesome to play, mario is great, super smash brothers as well.
Its a lack of advertising thats slumping there sales. They need to advertise and not just games that came out when it was first released, show off some of the up and coming titles as well.

"when it comes to angry killing machines, nothing beats the Lord Jesus!"

Submitted by bouncy roo on Thu, 16/01/03 - 3:21 AM Permalink

i got an american gamecube so i rarely get many games cos of shipping but i'm waiting out for zelda[;)]my brother gave it to me after he decided he wanted an xbox [:p]

quote:Originally posted by Souri

//Without order nothing can exist - without chaos nothing can evolve. \(anon)

Submitted by souri on Thu, 16/01/03 - 11:10 PM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by inglis

http://australianit.news.com.au/articles/0,7204,5832779%5E15338%5E%5Enb…
"NINTENDO'S GameCube console was the "glaring underperformer" in Christmas sales, taking just 3 per cent of the games hardware market."

I remember when *everyone* had a Snes.. Those darn things were everywhere.

Submitted by AndyFitz on Sun, 19/01/03 - 2:00 PM Permalink

quote:my brother gave it to me after he decided he wanted an xbox

That scenareo sounds alot like poetry..[8D]

Submitted by Meatex Salami on Fri, 24/01/03 - 3:37 AM Permalink

I am a BIG-N fan so forgive me if i get a bit passionate
i just quickly read up the previous posts and ppl seem to be saying there are no great games on the cube.
I'm sorry but have you had you head up you arse since it's release (a bit much)
There are more great games on the cube than on ps2 or xbox
Eternal Darkness
Metroid Prime
the 2 RE games
Time splitters 2
Splinter Cell is coming to cube
as well as FF crystal chronicals
those are just off the top of my head
sure there are good games on the other console (MGS 2, FFX, i have heard devil may cry is good, and i want to play GUNVALKIRE)
although the reason why cube is failing everywhere is because its not cool to have one. simple as that. I know people who have a ps2 for 6 months and haven't played a single game.
The cube has the best controller and the most top quality games in my opinion and i am VERY picky about what games i declare as good
the ps2 controller is pathetic and uncumfortable and the xbox is fine except the buttons are too small and too far from the control stick so it's hard to hit the button you want in a hurry and get you thumb back on the control stick (although you could probably get used to it) i would like to get all consoles cause they all have games i want i just think waying up all the details of the consoles the cube is number 1 (and i am not talking about specs, the xbox wins in that dept)
but like i said the cube just isn't cool, it doesn't have the hip factor.

Submitted by Meatex Salami on Fri, 24/01/03 - 3:44 AM Permalink

also what is with the ps2 ads
do they think that by totally weirding people out that they will buy a ps2.
Obviously they know something i don't cause it's working
although i reckon the ads are meaningless (they could probably do a black screen with the ps2 logo and a guy saying woozle-wozzle and they would still shift tones of units)
Although now that i think of it they are quite effective.
but i mean they are just too fudgeing weird

Submitted by Blitz on Fri, 24/01/03 - 4:17 AM Permalink

Time splitters 2 and splinter cell are already on xbox (and splinter cell will probably hit PC before cube) so it's not worth putting them on your list.
I don't think owning a cube has anything to do with coolness factor, although i've never really been one to follow trends. It's almost certainly to do with the lack of games and support for cube in australia.
Personally i like the xbox controller, fits my hand nicely, i find the cube controller too small and constricted. Agreed that the official ps2 controller bites.
I'll be very interested to see how the cube port of splinter cell goes...see wether they have to drop a lot of features etc.
Oh and btw, gun valkyrie isn't that great...
CYer, Blitz

Submitted by Gaffer on Fri, 24/01/03 - 8:48 AM Permalink

i agree, that ps2 ad before lord of the rings is fucked up shit...

i dont even understand it "the third place"

?! =p

Submitted by Blitz on Fri, 24/01/03 - 10:12 AM Permalink

CYer, Blitz

Submitted by Meatex Salami on Fri, 24/01/03 - 7:31 PM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by Blitz

lol
well it's true
and timesplitters 2 is and has been out for a while on the cube
people don't want to buy a cube because it's still seen as a kiddy console.

Submitted by GooberMan on Fri, 24/01/03 - 8:49 PM Permalink

I find the XBox controller too big (the Japanese controllers are better), the Gamecube controller feels like I'll break it if I push it the wrong way, and the way I hold a PS controller means I have to fight to get the L/R buttons that I want (I only have one finger from each hand resting along that row, having two there feels weird).

I'd get a gamecube just for the new RE games.

Ethan Watson, teh brand spankin' new Krome employee.

Submitted by Gaffer on Fri, 24/01/03 - 10:07 PM Permalink

i luuurve the gamecube controller :)

Submitted by souri on Sat, 25/01/03 - 2:06 AM Permalink

I've always found the Playstation controllers the best.. It fits perfectly in my hands, and it still looks pretty cool. And yeh, the L and R buttons aren't as easy to access though, but it's not too bad.. The old Xbox controllers were too ugly.
I think Nintendo's choice to get in early for the next gen consoles will be an interesting one.. Get in too early, and they might be in the position of the Sega Dreamcast.. Get in too late, and it's a tough up hill battle. It's all about who can hype their console the best in the end. Dreamcast died off purely because Sony hyped their PS2..
Those PS2 ads might not make a lot of sense, but Sony is at putting the brand out there..

Submitted by aki on Thu, 30/01/03 - 12:36 PM Permalink

I the Gamecube.

I think Nintendo produces the most playable and timeless games, that to me, defies the trends and fashions of adolescent 'coolness' that the PSXes and Xbox thrives/depends on. The 'kiddiness' aspects doesn't bother me at all, I think it makes them far more amazing that these games can be enjoyed almost universally by almost anyone or any age. I _would_ however like to see them not just concentrate on these ideas, and have them branch out to show that they can also do very 'current' and pop-cultural games (or perhaps 'american' games). It would help their marketshare outside of Japan immensely... and also sorta, beat the others at their own game sorta thing.

As for the controller... i think Nintendo has really been The pioneer in controller designs. Look back a bit through console history and its evident when you compare it with the other designs that were available at each specific time, and noting which elements got adopted for the next generation of consoles (by nintendo's competitors)

- the original Famicom gamepad (trying to think of the controllers of consoles before the Famicom from which the idea of right thumb=control cursors; left thumb - buttons .. but i cant think of any... the atari and pong machines had paddles/knobs and jet-fighter joysticks stuff yeah?). I think it came from Nintendo's Game&Watch handheld games. (and what before that?)

- SNES introduced the shoulder buttons (L and R) and the multi-coloured, diagonally laid out 4 button design when Sega had the 3 button idea... and we have seen how this layout has been imitated by everything now: Sony's Playstation, Sega's Saturn and Dreamcast, psx2, Xbox.

- N64 with its analog stick (in addition to and not replacing the direction pad) and more buttons, and a Z-under-controller button... (i believe the n64 analog stick came before Sony's analog stick addition to the PSX controller - correct me if im wrong), and again, these ideas were adopted by the dreamcast controller, xbox etc.

.. you get the idea. (read: i'm so lazy).

So why don't they sell? I think its mostly Nintendo's marketing and probably overly ideal philosophy on games. However, it almost seems like they don't mind... you have to remember that they have the Gameboy and their huge dominance in the portable gaming market. Let's not forget Pokemon. They have very well established sources of income and revenue, it almost seems like it lets them indulge in making what they want. And i like that... its like, they're not selling out on their philosophy of what a good game should be, and that's pretty damn cool to me.

Submitted by Sertan on Fri, 07/02/03 - 3:48 AM Permalink

I think the Cube is doing badly over here because of both Nintendo's marketing scheme and the public perception of Nintendo products as toys.

I wish it didn't go so badly. I'm a pretty big Nintendo fan, and coupling that with the Resident Evil series puts their new console in "must have" territory for me (if you haven't worked it out yet, I don't own a GC, but will be buying one at the end of this year... hey, I can wait).

Right now, I own a PS2, and I think the reason why hardcore gamers dislike it is because it appeals so much to the mainstream audience. And it is a quality console. It's got a lot of AAA titles such as the much lauded Grand Theft Auto III, Final Fantasy X, Devil May Cry, etc. So it's success is no surprise as a lot of old franchises are there and also a lot of new great ones.

Anyway, that's my rant. Slightly off the topic, but considering this is my first post, I wanted to make a good impression. [;)]

P.S. How do I put an avatar up?

Submitted by souri on Fri, 07/02/03 - 9:35 PM Permalink

You can email me ya avatar at sumea@hotmail.com ... make sure you have something like *** AVATAR *** as the subject header, or else I'll miss it in the piles of spam I have there. [:)].. I'll put it up as soon as I get my internet connection happening again.. I have to ftp the avatar images up myself for the forum, and I don't think this computer has any ftp software. (I'm at an internet cafe atm)

Submitted by Sertan on Sat, 08/02/03 - 12:10 AM Permalink

Okay, thanks. I'll send the avatar pic by the end of the week.