Skip to main content

personal renderfarm

Submitted by inglis on
Forum

just a query...do any of you have a personal renderfarm set up, or know much about renderfarms?
just want to know how much of a performance i could expect by hooking together the following computers for rendering:
(would just like to know if it is a worthy exercise when it comes to rendering out my demoreel)

1)dual 2.2 athlon mps
2)1.4 athlon
3)700

Submitted by beatsta on Wed, 15/01/03 - 12:06 PM Permalink

well, u wld obviously get a hell of a lot more performance, if u can.. then do it for sure, why render on a single/dual cpu when u can render with that much cpu power :)

Submitted by davidcoen on Thu, 16/01/03 - 4:27 AM Permalink

wtf. you have the money for those sort of computers? (looks at my 350mHz pc) I hate you

Submitted by inglis on Thu, 16/01/03 - 4:33 AM Permalink

the dual 2.2, its only a barebones 3d computer..no networkcard,modem,cd/dvd...

Submitted by davidcoen on Thu, 16/01/03 - 11:38 AM Permalink

i still hate you. my global illumination code often take 24hours plus to make the texture for a model. a 350mHz sh_t box does not fare well on several thousand inverse square roots per pixel.

have fun with you demo reel.

DSC

Submitted by Maitrek on Thu, 16/01/03 - 12:02 PM Permalink

The more PCs you use to render stuff, the better, there won't be alot of wasted time with network data transfer, so if you had two same pcs, you'd probably get stuff done near twice as fast.

As a side note, I live at home so I, too, can afford multi-good PCs.

If you had a 350Mhz AMD s***box you could use AMD MMX/3D-NOW extensions/op-coded to do s*** fast :P

Snootchie bootchies!
Any off-topic issues send to maitrek@austarmetro.com.au

Submitted by inglis on Thu, 16/01/03 - 12:26 PM Permalink

quote:there won't be alot of wasted time with network data transfer.....you'd probably get stuff done near twice as fast.

thats all i wanted to know.if a renderfarm was worth it with 3computers.
thank you-

ps: davidcoen: if you hate me that much feel free to come and steal one...not the 2.2, it is the only one that is really mine.

: lachlan inglis
http://effectism.com/sample/

Submitted by beatsta on Thu, 16/01/03 - 1:28 PM Permalink

jealousy is a curse :) i got a 233...snigger. i dont render much. a couple of years ago i did a nurbs/poly character with cloth simulations and soft body dynamics and ray tracing on lights and shadows and materials...sheesh was that fun ;/

wake up, we got, we want, CHAOS, wake up, we got perfect motion.
wake up, we've got, to stop, the rot, wake up, we want EVOLUTION
wake up, wake up, they've lost, the plot, so knock, 'till the walls come CRASHING DOWN. - sunscreem

Submitted by zetapotential on Sat, 05/04/03 - 3:53 AM Permalink

I have small renderfarm setup at our shack (office / crashpad) and we are setting up decent one at the moment.
Waddaya need to know? There are aLOT of tricks and kwirks.

Our fuzzball, ever-changing mish mash cluster is (usually) 2 P4 2.4GHz, 2xP3 (various), 2xP2 300MHz and 1x G4 dual800. This varies depending on whats plugged in, been pinched or otherwise in bits. Our first real one is a 28 machine cluster of G3 Mac's. (dont ask, they came at the right price and im still having OS-Huh? issues so far as net-booting is concirned.

Ask away>my email

Submitted by inglis on Sat, 05/04/03 - 3:56 AM Permalink

thanks- but cant do it now-
dont have access to two of the computers anymore :)

Posted by inglis on
Forum

just a query...do any of you have a personal renderfarm set up, or know much about renderfarms?
just want to know how much of a performance i could expect by hooking together the following computers for rendering:
(would just like to know if it is a worthy exercise when it comes to rendering out my demoreel)

1)dual 2.2 athlon mps
2)1.4 athlon
3)700

Submitted by beatsta on Wed, 15/01/03 - 12:06 PM Permalink

well, u wld obviously get a hell of a lot more performance, if u can.. then do it for sure, why render on a single/dual cpu when u can render with that much cpu power :)

Submitted by davidcoen on Thu, 16/01/03 - 4:27 AM Permalink

wtf. you have the money for those sort of computers? (looks at my 350mHz pc) I hate you

Submitted by inglis on Thu, 16/01/03 - 4:33 AM Permalink

the dual 2.2, its only a barebones 3d computer..no networkcard,modem,cd/dvd...

Submitted by davidcoen on Thu, 16/01/03 - 11:38 AM Permalink

i still hate you. my global illumination code often take 24hours plus to make the texture for a model. a 350mHz sh_t box does not fare well on several thousand inverse square roots per pixel.

have fun with you demo reel.

DSC

Submitted by Maitrek on Thu, 16/01/03 - 12:02 PM Permalink

The more PCs you use to render stuff, the better, there won't be alot of wasted time with network data transfer, so if you had two same pcs, you'd probably get stuff done near twice as fast.

As a side note, I live at home so I, too, can afford multi-good PCs.

If you had a 350Mhz AMD s***box you could use AMD MMX/3D-NOW extensions/op-coded to do s*** fast :P

Snootchie bootchies!
Any off-topic issues send to maitrek@austarmetro.com.au

Submitted by inglis on Thu, 16/01/03 - 12:26 PM Permalink

quote:there won't be alot of wasted time with network data transfer.....you'd probably get stuff done near twice as fast.

thats all i wanted to know.if a renderfarm was worth it with 3computers.
thank you-

ps: davidcoen: if you hate me that much feel free to come and steal one...not the 2.2, it is the only one that is really mine.

: lachlan inglis
http://effectism.com/sample/

Submitted by beatsta on Thu, 16/01/03 - 1:28 PM Permalink

jealousy is a curse :) i got a 233...snigger. i dont render much. a couple of years ago i did a nurbs/poly character with cloth simulations and soft body dynamics and ray tracing on lights and shadows and materials...sheesh was that fun ;/

wake up, we got, we want, CHAOS, wake up, we got perfect motion.
wake up, we've got, to stop, the rot, wake up, we want EVOLUTION
wake up, wake up, they've lost, the plot, so knock, 'till the walls come CRASHING DOWN. - sunscreem

Submitted by zetapotential on Sat, 05/04/03 - 3:53 AM Permalink

I have small renderfarm setup at our shack (office / crashpad) and we are setting up decent one at the moment.
Waddaya need to know? There are aLOT of tricks and kwirks.

Our fuzzball, ever-changing mish mash cluster is (usually) 2 P4 2.4GHz, 2xP3 (various), 2xP2 300MHz and 1x G4 dual800. This varies depending on whats plugged in, been pinched or otherwise in bits. Our first real one is a 28 machine cluster of G3 Mac's. (dont ask, they came at the right price and im still having OS-Huh? issues so far as net-booting is concirned.

Ask away>my email

Submitted by inglis on Sat, 05/04/03 - 3:56 AM Permalink

thanks- but cant do it now-
dont have access to two of the computers anymore :)