Skip to main content

NVIDIA CUDA: GPU C-like Compiler

Submitted by axon on
Forum

Shaders, shader fragments, pixel-shaders, vertex-shaders have many uses for custom lighting, GPU accelerated animation, cloth sims and a bunch of cool stuff you can't do on any CPU.

So far HLSL has been the language of choice. Could this be about to change with what appears to be the first truly high level shader language? (HLSL being great and all but tightly constrained by how you pack you passes into textures and instruction limits.)

http://developer.nvidia.com/object/cuda.html

Register yee-selfs and get parallel. It's an exciting development which could bring GPU further away from kitsch and closer into the engine's core.

Who's had a play? Got an LAPACK port for the GPU yet?

Greg

Submitted by redwyre on Fri, 24/11/06 - 8:04 AM Permalink

This seems like it's going to be very nvidia specific, so I think I'll hold out. Though it does look interesting, especially with the 8800 which has 128 cores...

Hopefully DX10 geometry shaders will allow more genereric computations in a portable way

Submitted by Kezza on Tue, 05/12/06 - 2:57 PM Permalink

This undoubtedly will be made into an open standard at some later date. It could potentially make PS3 to PC ports a bit easier if the PC hardware for this gets a good install base.

Posted by axon on
Forum

Shaders, shader fragments, pixel-shaders, vertex-shaders have many uses for custom lighting, GPU accelerated animation, cloth sims and a bunch of cool stuff you can't do on any CPU.

So far HLSL has been the language of choice. Could this be about to change with what appears to be the first truly high level shader language? (HLSL being great and all but tightly constrained by how you pack you passes into textures and instruction limits.)

http://developer.nvidia.com/object/cuda.html

Register yee-selfs and get parallel. It's an exciting development which could bring GPU further away from kitsch and closer into the engine's core.

Who's had a play? Got an LAPACK port for the GPU yet?

Greg

Submitted by redwyre on Fri, 24/11/06 - 8:04 AM Permalink

This seems like it's going to be very nvidia specific, so I think I'll hold out. Though it does look interesting, especially with the 8800 which has 128 cores...

Hopefully DX10 geometry shaders will allow more genereric computations in a portable way

Submitted by Kezza on Tue, 05/12/06 - 2:57 PM Permalink

This undoubtedly will be made into an open standard at some later date. It could potentially make PS3 to PC ports a bit easier if the PC hardware for this gets a good install base.